GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *Guilty/Not Guilty*

Emileigh Forrester WALB ‏Verified account @EmileighTV 3m3 minutes ago
Defense talks about judge’s denial for their pre-trial appeal, judge’s denial of motion to postpone the trial, and judge’s denial of funding for experts and an investigator for Ryan Duke’s defense. All that is in the emergency motion. #RyanDuke #taragrinstead #TaraGrinsteadCase
---------------

D2mT1AHWoAEVthP.jpg
D2mT0_-WsAAMwH-.jpg

Philip Holloway‏Verified account @PhilHollowayEsq 5m5 minutes ago
Irwin Superior Court loses jurisdiction to even hold hearings on other things until the GA Supreme Court decides what if anything it will hear in the #TaraGrinstead murder trial

In my opinion, he is entitled to a proper defense. If he can not afford it, the State should provide what he needs.
I also recall the defendant making his case for bail so he could be employed at his cousin's dry cleaning business to afford the private investigator for forensic tests he was being denied while incarcerated.

I'm still not certain the right defendant is being tried for murder (yet Bo Dukes was granted bail, and charged with 2 rapes in Houston county) while free on bond.

MOO

I also recall the defendant making his case for bail so he could be employed at his cousin's dry cleaning business to afford the private investigator for forensic tests he was being denied while incarcerated.

I'm still not certain the right defendant is being tried for murder (yet Bo Dukes was granted bail, and charged with 2 rapes in Houston county) while free on bond.

MOO
What are you thinking? That Bo was the killer and Tyan just accomplice?

What are you thinking? That Bo was the killer and Tyan just accomplice?
I do not believe Ryan is innocent, but believe it more likely that he was the accomplice, and helped burn the body. I do not believe Bo Dukes, and think he has the profile of a rapist, and that he likely murdered TG to silence her after he raped her. MOO

I do not believe Ryan is innocent, but believe it more likely that he was the accomplice, and helped burn the body. I do not believe Bo Dukes, and think he has the profile of a rapist, and that he likely murdered TG to silence her after he raped her. MOO
I can’t say I disagree with you.

Wednesday, March 27th:
*Pretrial Motions Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla) – only for *Ryan Alexander Duke (33/21 @ time of crime) arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail. Irwin County
Previous court hearings from 10/13/17 thru 12/21/18 - see here post #203: Suspect: RYAN ALEXANDER DUKE, in custody
Court hearings from 12/21/18 thru 3/4/19 reference post #10 here:
GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *GUILTY*

3/8/19 Update: 600 jurors will be summoned in a seven day period starting April 1, 2019, which is when jury selection is set to start for Ryan Duke's trial. The questionnaires have to be returned by March 18. Duke is scheduled to go on trial on April 1 in Irwin. A judge denied his defense team’s motion for a delay at hearing on 3/9/19. Trial to last a month includes jury selection.
3/18/19 Update: 2 motions filed by the defense asking Irwin County Superior Court Judge Bill Reinhardt to certify a couple of his orders to allow them to file a pre-trial appeal. Recently, the judge denied both the defense's motion to postpone the trial & the defense's motion asking for funds to get expert witnesses and an investigator. Also filed two new motions, essentially asking the judge to allow them to appeal both those decisions. The judge has the option to allow or not allow the defense to appeal prior to trial.

3/25/19 Update: Pre-trial motions hearing scheduled for Duke on Wednesday (3/27) in Irwin County. It is scheduled to start at 1:30 p.m. Defense team asks for Georgia Supreme Court to delay the murder trial set for next week until questions can be addressed . Who should pay for Investigator & expert witnesses defense says it needs. Lawyers are working for free. Hearing (Harper) on Thursday (3/28) will determine if TrueAllele DNA evidence will be admissible in Duke’s trial, which is set to begin on April 1. “Harper” hearing is scheduled to start at 9:30 a.m.
Accomplice:
*Bo Dukes (32/21 @ time of crime) arrested (3/3/17) charged with concealing a death, hindering the apprehension of a criminal & 2 counts of giving false statements (to GBI). Released on $16,700 bond on 3/3/17 afternoon; waived right to his first hearing. Violated probation back in jail. Irwin County tried in Wilcox County.
Court hearings from 11/16/18 thru 3/21/19 reference post #10 here:
GA - TRIAL OF Ryan Alexander Duke & Bo Dukes - Tara Grinstead, 29, Ocilla, 22 Oct 2005 *GUILTY*
3/8/19 Update: Dukes will be the first to be tried in the case, prosecutors said Friday. His trial is set to begin March 18 in Wilcox County. 3/22/19: Found guilty, sentenced to 25 years.

Wednesday, March 27th:
*Calendar Call Hearing (@ pm ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla) - *Bo Dukes (32/21 @ time of crime) indicted (June, 2017) with concealing a death of another, 2 counts of making false statements, tampering with evidence & hindering apprehension of a criminal. Ben Hill County
Also charged with:
*Charged (1/6/19), indicted (1/15/19) & arraigned (2/17/19) with 1 count of rape, 2 counts for aggravated sodomy, 2 counts for kidnapping, 2 counts for aggravated assault, 4 counts for possession of firearm/knife commission of crime & 1 count for possession of firearm/knife by convicted felon. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Houston County-Warner Robins case on 1/1/19.
*Arrested & charged (3/3/17) & indicted (Sept. 2017) with concealing a death of another, hindering the apprehension of a criminal & 2 counts of giving false statements (to GBI). Released on $16,700 bond on 3/3/17 afternoon; waived right to his first hearing. Violated his bond, back in jail. Irwin County tried in Wilcox County. Dukes has not been charged with murder. Trial started 3/18/19. 3/22/19: Found guilty, sentenced to 25 years.
Court hearings from 11/21/18 thru 1/6/19 reference post #1 here:
Court hearings from 11/26/18 thru 3/4/19 reference post #10 here:

Accomplice:
*Ryan Alexander Duke (33/21 @ time of crime) arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail. Irwin County. Trial starts 4/1/19.

I think the roles are reversed also. There were things not investigated and I doubt it was done to protect Ryan Duke. When the GBI agent in charge testified their were too many leads coming in it sounded foolish. If you need more manpower, shift it around.

I think the roles are reversed also. There were things not investigated and I doubt it was done to protect Ryan Duke. When the GBI agent in charge testified their were too many leads coming in it sounded foolish. If you need more manpower, shift it around.
I haven't followed this as close as I once was, so i'll need some help. What makes you think the roles were reversed? I have sort of thought that they were just perhaps equal participants. I mean, probably only one of them actually killed her, but that is irrelevant in my opinion, each would be equally guilty.

Both Ryan and Bo knew her from high school correct? Easy to see how they both were infatuated by her and that fateful night decided to do something. And robbery wasn't what they planned.

Ryan Duke's team asks to delay next week's Grinstead murder trial

IRWIN COUNTY, Ga. -- The Georgia Supreme Court is considering motions filed in the murder case against Ryan Duke, accused of killing south Georgia beauty queen and teacher Tara Grinstead in 2005.

The emergency motions were filed Monday afternoon. The Georgia Supreme Court has agreed to consider the motions.
[.....]
Other motions filed are:

• To Declare Georgia's Indigent Defense Act Unconstitutional
  • For Funds For Expert Assistance And For Order Requiring the State to Provide These Funds
  • Reveal Any and All Deals

Both Ryan and Bo knew her from high school correct? Easy to see how they both were infatuated by her and that fateful night decided to do something. And robbery wasn't what they planned.

Bo was her student. Class was 2 students and her. This is in his interview

I haven't followed this as close as I once was, so i'll need some help. What makes you think the roles were reversed? I have sort of thought that they were just perhaps equal participants. I mean, probably only one of them actually killed her, but that is irrelevant in my opinion, each would be equally guilty.
Ryan Duke has his own thread (as did Bo Dukes prior to trial), which may give you more insight to him being the accomplice.

Suspect: RYAN ALEXANDER DUKE, in custody

Thursday, March 28th:
*”Harper” Hearing (@ 9:30am ET) - GA - Tara Faye Grinstead (29) (Oct. 22, 2005, Ocilla) – only for *Ryan Alexander Duke (33/21 @ time of crime) arrested (2/23/17), indicted (4/2017) & arraigned (5/4/17) with 2 counts of felony murder & 1 count of malice murder, aggravated assault, burglary & concealing death of another. Plead not guilty. Held without bail. Irwin County
Previous court hearings from 10/13/17 thru 12/21/18 – reference post #203 here: Suspect: RYAN ALEXANDER DUKE, in custody
Previous court hearings from 12/21/18 thru 3/4/19 – reference post #10 here:

3/8/19 Update: 600 jurors will be summoned in a seven day period starting April 1, 2019, which is when jury selection is set to start for Ryan Duke's trial. The questionnaires have to be returned by March 18. Duke is scheduled to go on trial on April 1 in Irwin. A judge denied his defense team’s motion for a delay at hearing on 3/9/19. Trial to last a month includes jury selection.
3/18/19 Update: 2 motions filed by the defense asking Irwin County Superior Court Judge Bill Reinhardt to certify a couple of his orders to allow them to file a pre-trial appeal. Recently, the judge denied both the defense's motion to postpone the trial & the defense's motion asking for funds to get expert witnesses and an investigator. Also filed two new motions, essentially asking the judge to allow them to appeal both those decisions. The judge has the option to allow or not allow the defense to appeal prior to trial.
3/25/19 Update: Pre-trial motions hearing also scheduled for Duke on Wednesday (3/27) in Irwin County. It is scheduled to start at 1:30 p.m. Defense team asks for Georgia Supreme Court to delay the murder trial set for next week until questions can be addressed . Who should pay for Investigator & expert witnesses defense says it needs. Lawyers are working for free. Hearing on Thursday (3/28) will determine if TrueAllele DNA evidence will be admissible in Duke’s trial, which is set to begin on April 1. “Harper” hearing is scheduled to start at 9:30 a.m.
3/27/19 Update: Emergency motions were filed Monday (3/25/19) afternoon. The Georgia Supreme Court has agreed to consider the motions. Motions filed are: To delay trial; To Declare Georgia's Indigent Defense Act Unconstitutional; for Funds For Expert Assistance And For Order Requiring the State to Provide These Funds; & Reveal Any and All Deals. The Defense need funding for three experts to combat prosecution testimony: an expert to analyze findings from a proprietary computer program linking DNA on a latex glove found outside Grinstead’s home to Duke; an expert witness who specializes in false confessions; and an expert psychological witness to perform an evaluation of Duke. But because Duke elected to be represented pro bono by the Merchants, instead of by a state-funded public defender, he is not entitled to get state funds for experts, per Judge.
Accomplice:
*Bo Dukes (32/21 @ time of crime) arrested (3/3/17) charged with concealing a death, hindering the apprehension of a criminal & 2 counts of giving false statements (to GBI). Released on $16,700 bond on 3/3/17 afternoon; waived right to his first hearing. Violated probation back in jail. Irwin County tried in Wilcox County.
3/8/19 Update: Dukes will be the first to be tried in the case, prosecutors said Friday. His trial is set to begin March 18 in Wilcox County. 3/22/19: Found guilty, sentenced to 25 years

Will state Supreme Court halt Tara Grinstead murder trial?

Mar 28, 2019

"Lawyers for a man charged with killing a South Georgia beauty queen are asking the Georgia Supreme Court to delay his trial in the 14-year-old case.

The murder trial in the case of Tara Grinstead is set to begin Monday. But in an emergency motion filed Tuesday, Ryan Alexander Duke’s lawyers said they have been wrongly denied funding for expert witnesses needed to properly defend him....

The two sides are fighting over who should pay for expert witnesses and an investigator for the defense case. Duke fired a public defender and hired three Atlanta lawyers who are working for free.

The defense has asked the state Supreme Court to settle the argument.

“Just because they chose to be represented by a pro bono lawyer, a volunteer lawyer, shouldn't mean they don't have access to the basic things they need in a case,” lawyer Evan Gibbs said.

“He had those resources and chose to abandon them. That’s his choice,” District Attorney Paul Bowden said.

If the Supreme Court accepts the emergency plea, it could delay any trial for months."

Will state Supreme Court halt Tara Grinstead murder trial?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back