GUILTY FL - Dan Markel, 41, FSU Law Professor, Tallahassee, 18 July 2014 - #6 *arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHO WAS DAN MARKEL? THE MURDER VICTIM AT THE CENTER OF “OVER MY DEAD BODY”
NEW DETAILS EMERGE IN THE MURDER OF FSU LAW PROFESSOR DAN MARKEL, THE FOCUS OF THE TOP-RATED TRUE-CRIME PODCAST.

3/20/19

"...The case, which sparked the popular true-crime podcast Over My Dead Body, is ongoing—Sigfredo and an accomplice are due to stand trial on June 3, 2019.

Here’s what we know about Dan Markel’s murder so far...."

Who was Dan Markel? The victim at the center of “Over My Dead Body”

I really feel for Dan Markel's parents and his sons. Hoping there will be some earthly justice.

I just watched the Dateline ( I think ) episode concerning the case and my take aways are:

1) How badly I feel for Dan’s parents. Not only have they lost a fantastic son, but their two grandsons, and their grandson’s last names have been changed.

2) The police interview when WA is told her exhusband has been shot. She’s not a very good actress.

IMHO

I’ve still got to catch the latest podcast episode. What kind of narcissistic people are Wendi’s family? Dan didn’t deserve this at all. I hope the true “maestro” of this murder plot gets exposed soon. The person(s) who planned this and hired the hit need to face justice. jmo.

Yes, “ the Maestro” has an excellent opinion of themselves. IMO, this was the mastermind.

This is a good read for some corrected facts on, for example, why the Markel's have not seen their grandchildren.

Retraction
Very interesting!
Retraction

[...] We regret publishing these statements, and have since pulled the post from our website. We apologize to Ms. Adelson and her children for any pain this article may have caused them. [...]

Excerpt of letter:

upload_2019-4-1_16-34-35.png

Unbelievable gall.

It would be interesting to see if Wendi would pursue a defamation action against a publication surrounding this case. If she did, I believe it would give opposing counsel the opportunity to depose her under oath.

I think there was another Dateline episode in which a man claimed to be inappropriately arrested. The police let him go, but he sued for wrongful imprisonment. The locality's attorney was able to procure enough information from the deposition that the DA felt comfortable indicting the plaintiff after all - whether it was truly due to the additional information or malice is not clear - the man was eventually acquitted.

Nonetheless, it seems like pursuing such legal action during an unresolved criminal case could lead to the procurement of undesirable information for a plaintiff.

It would be interesting to see if Wendi would pursue a defamation action against a publication surrounding this case. If she did, I believe it would give opposing counsel the opportunity to depose her under oath.

I think there was another Dateline episode in which a man claimed to be inappropriately arrested. The police let him go, but he sued for wrongful imprisonment. The locality's attorney was able to procure enough information from the deposition that the DA felt comfortable indicting the plaintiff after all - whether it was truly due to the additional information or malice is not clear - the man was eventually acquitted.

Nonetheless, it seems like pursuing such legal action during an unresolved criminal case could lead to the procurement of undesirable information for a plaintiff.

Haha, good point. We will definitely not see any defamation lawsuits coming from that family.

Well the good thing is that the kids and the M's must be able to visit one another after all, since that story is claimed to be false. imo.

This is a good read for some corrected facts on, for example, why the Markel's have not seen their grandchildren.

Retraction

There were some factual errors - for example, at this time, the authorities have not disclosed that they feel Wendi is a party to the murder. They have only indicated that they believe her brother (and possibly mother) were involved.

I, however, wouldn't characterize Wendi's explanation as to why the children aren't able to see their grandparents as a correction of fact. Instead, this is Wendi's justification for why communication has been severed. The reader can decide for himself/herself if this is a reasonable reaction, but the fact that the Markels are not able to interact with their grandchildren is not in dispute.

The explanation that Wendi cut off the grandparents because they were in some way operating to remove the kids from her custody is false. the communication with the prosecutor that the letter is referring to is about arrangements to be made in case Wendi and her immediate custody are all taken into custody and prosecuted for murder. this was when it appeared likely to the prosecutor georgia that the hitmen and the middlewoman will confess and point to the family who hired them.
wendi had been making it difficult for the grandparents to see the kids from the beginning, didnt show up the funeral or any memorial, did not bring the kids to any memorial for their dad, and then decided to not allow the grandparents to see the children AT ALL. this is cruelty not only to the grandparents but cruelty of a mother toward her own children. appalling. i dont think anyone familiar with the case believes Wendi was ignorant of her brother and parents' plans to murder her ex. I think she was shielded from the details of the money handed over to the hitmen and perhaps the details of the day of the murder. The podcast makes it clear that brother Rob very much knows that she along with his parents and brother are murderers. It took alot of guts of a brother to go public this way. He showed ethics when his whole family are ruthless. gives some hope. The podcasters omitted some important details like the fact that Wendi said very seriously to jeff lacasse that her brother was looking into a hitman.

wendi... didnt show up the funeral or any memorial, did not bring the kids to any memorial for their dad....

Are you sure that WA did not attend DM's funeral? What led you to that conclusion? This passage from the CA probable cause affidavit states that HA and DA attended, and seems to suggest that WA did too (though it's somewhat ambiguous).

Attachments

• Capture9.PNG
    Capture9.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 11

Retraction

While I appreciate your efforts as a new member, I'm not sure I'm going to buy into this.

This publication is not really a publication or mainstream at all. It looks like it just is a conglomeration of stuff, and somebody could have easily planted a PR piece in here, without it being reviewed.

I find this very hinky, the original article, and also the response. I think the entire article, and the response, it's a public relations move by one of them possibly. M o o

That is why this website usually is restricted to mainstream media only.

The explanation that Wendi cut off the grandparents because they were in some way operating to remove the kids from her custody is false. the communication with the prosecutor that the letter is referring to is about arrangements to be made in case Wendi and her immediate custody are all taken into custody and prosecuted for murder. this was when it appeared likely to the prosecutor georgia that the hitmen and the middlewoman will confess and point to the family who hired them.
wendi had been making it difficult for the grandparents to see the kids from the beginning, didnt show up the funeral or any memorial, did not bring the kids to any memorial for their dad, and then decided to not allow the grandparents to see the children AT ALL. this is cruelty not only to the grandparents but cruelty of a mother toward her own children. appalling. i dont think anyone familiar with the case believes Wendi was ignorant of her brother and parents' plans to murder her ex. I think she was shielded from the details of the money handed over to the hitmen and perhaps the details of the day of the murder. The podcast makes it clear that brother Rob very much knows that she along with his parents and brother are murderers. It took alot of guts of a brother to go public this way. He showed ethics when his whole family are ruthless. gives some hope. The podcasters omitted some important details like the fact that Wendi said very seriously to jeff lacasse that her brother was looking into a hitman.
Oh, I do believe she knew exactly when the murder of her ex was going to happen and where. Hadn't she been on the phone with her bro that morning about some "tv" he sent her as a gift after her divorce? That the TV wasn't working and had to have TV repairmen in to look at it? She needed a reason to be on the phone with CA that morning. But the biggest error she made was going by Dan's house shortly after the murder. Or trying to go by the house but had to take another street because police cars had blocked off the street Dan lived on. And she said she thought all the police cars were possibly a result of a downed tree?

Heck, she was going by to check that the deed had been done. She wanted this done. She needed this done. Her curiosity got the best of her. She had to check. No, this woman KNEW.

Inside Edition had a recent report on the case with an interview with DM's parents...

Dan Markel's Parents Want Justice as Suspects Head to Trial in Murder-for-Hire Case
Dan Markel's Parents Want Justice as Suspects Head to Trial in Murder-for-Hire Case
This article has been updated. See below.

"In connection with this report, Inside Edition received the following statement from Orin Snyder, the attorney for Ruth and Phil Markel:

“It is false and outrageous to suggest that the Markels ever tried to have their own grandsons put into foster care or otherwise removed from their mother’s custody.

"In the fall of 2016, Ruth Markel was concerned that some members of the Adelson family might be arrested for Dan Markel’s murder while they were caring for her grandsons. As a result, she contacted a Florida social services organization to ask about the process for ensuring the boys’ temporary well-being in case that emergency occurred. Ms. Markel then provided contact information for that social services organization to the State Attorney’s Office. That is all. As a concerned and loving grandmother, who had already been witness to horrible violence against her family, that was obviously the right thing to do.

"Ms. Adelson knows this. Yet she has still refused to let the Markels see or talk to their grandsons for years, depriving the boys of any relationship with their murdered father’s family and a vital connection to their own roots.”

Defense seeking trial delay in Dan Markel murder case

Tallahassee By: Julie Montanaro | WCTV Eyewitness News
May 2, 2019

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- Defense attorneys are now requesting a delay in the Dan Markel murder case.

Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua are set to stand trial for the FSU professor's murder on June 3.

Markel was shot and killed in his own driveway back in July 2014 in what police believe was a murder for hire scheme.

This week Garcia's attorney, Saam Zangeneh, requested a delay, saying he's expecting a baby in July and wants to ensure he's not in the midst of trial when the child is born.

A motion hearing is set for next week.

The judge rejected an earlier request to postpone the trial. Defense attorneys cited delays in payments from the state's Justice Administrative Commission or JAC. JAC announced this week in a press release that is has run out of money until the legislature okays a new budget.

Always an excuse. How many delays has this trial had? I hope the judge finally has had enough.

May 2, 2019

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) -- Defense attorneys are now requesting a delay in the Dan Markel murder case.

Sigfredo Garcia and Katherine Magbanua are set to stand trial for the FSU professor's murder on June 3.

Markel was shot and killed in his own driveway back in July 2014 in what police believe was a murder for hire scheme.

This week Garcia's attorney, Saam Zangeneh, requested a delay, saying he's expecting a baby in July and wants to ensure he's not in the midst of trial when the child is born.

The judge rejected an earlier request to postpone the trial. Defense attorneys cited delays in payments from the state's Justice Administrative Commission or JAC. JAC announced this week in a press release that is has run out of money until the legislature okays a new budget.

Oh, I do believe she knew exactly when the murder of her ex was going to happen and where. Hadn't she been on the phone with her bro that morning about some "tv" he sent her as a gift after her divorce? That the TV wasn't working and had to have TV repairmen in to look at it? She needed a reason to be on the phone with CA that morning. But the biggest error she made was going by Dan's house shortly after the murder. Or trying to go by the house but had to take another street because police cars had blocked off the street Dan lived on. And she said she thought all the police cars were possibly a result of a downed tree?

Heck, she was going by to check that the deed had been done. She wanted this done. She needed this done. Her curiosity got the best of her. She had to check. No, this woman KNEW.

ONE HUNDRED PERCENT!

May 2, 2019

Oh for heaven's sake! I hope this gets denied. They can pause the trial for a day if his wife goes into labor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member