AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 110%!!! For DH (David Harrison) to say that it was consensual sex is absurd!! Back in 99 you didn't see a lot of white girls with black guys and I don't think for one second that he knew or had consensual sex with JB. He's already said he didn't know either of them and David wants that thrown out so he can spin his lies to get him off. I got an IDEA.........how about just tell the damn truth and admit what he did.
I didn't like to say it myself, but your comments are exactly what I was thinking. And IMO you are absolutely right!

McCraney, who has been charged with capital murder in connection with the girls’ murders, was ordered to submit DNA by a judge as part of a paternity petition from a woman who claimed McCraney was the father of her child born in September of 1998, according to court documents reviewed by the Dothan Eagle. The order for DNA submission was made July 30, 1999, by Ozark judge Fred Steagall.

[...]

McCraney failed to appear for the DNA test, and failed to appear in response to a second DNA test order several months later.

Coley McCraney, charged in deaths of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, stayed in Ozark, Dothan since slayings

ETA: I can't find a retraction in any of their later articles and it states this media outlet has seen the court
McCraney, who has been charged with capital murder in connection with the girls’ murders, was ordered to submit DNA by a judge as part of a paternity petition from a woman who claimed McCraney was the father of her child born in September of 1998, according to court documents reviewed by the Dothan Eagle. The order for DNA submission was made July 30, 1999, by Ozark judge Fred Steagall.

[...]

McCraney failed to appear for the DNA test, and failed to appear in response to a second DNA test order several months later.

Coley McCraney, charged in deaths of J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett, stayed in Ozark, Dothan since slayings

ETA: I can't find a retraction in any of their later articles and it states this media outlet has seen the court records.
Hmmm would be interesting to find out the truth about all this. I get the impression that some of the new posters on this thread have a personal stake in defending the arrested and charged J.M.

[...]

ETA: I can't find a retraction in any of their later articles and it states this media outlet has seen the court records.[/
I agree 110%!!! For DH (David Harrison) to say that it was consensual sex is absurd!! Back in 99 you didn't see a lot of white girls with black guys and I don't think for one second that he knew or had consensual sex with JB. He's already said he didn't know either of them and David wants that thrown out so he can spin his lies to get him off. I got an IDEA.........how about just tell the damn truth and admit what he did.

An interesting slice of bread to munch on is this. I remember in the previous thread it was mentioned tire tread was found off of 123. The poster quoted a link to AMW and like many other links the information could not be found. I never heard or seen that mentioned before. Also the unspent 9mm which may or may not be the same the type of 9mm brand used in the gun. For whatever thats worth.

So we have Merritts comments where she directed had the girls follow on broad street to 231 (safest, fastest and most logical route to 231 from the store) then lost sight of them after she goes past the "hump" (doesn't exist, there is a slight curvature in the road prior to hitting the stop light and downtown Ozark.) Between the light and store there are a couple of places to turn but first, the assumptions of being pulled over by a cop is weak, because Merritt would have seen the lights of the cops. The girls were according to her, close, within rear view sight. So even if a someone was traveling towards the store she would have noted a cop going in the direction as well. Also the chances of the girls stopping on the road is slim to none be it a stranger or not, assuming these girls dont make that a habit since most dont. Most of the street is fairly well lit too.

So as I mentioned before they could have turned off to depot lane. But as i mentioned it's a short distance and they would come back out towards the store and broad street, if they turned right after hitting depot. If left it would bring them back to broad. Taking a left would take you down the street where McCraney lived during the time. (Road isnt far from depot) Traveling down the road you pass a small housing area, where you can turn into or keep traveling the short road and hitting a stop sign. Taking a right takes you to Downton, you can for the most see some businesses from there. Taking left takes you back to hwy 27. Takes you to a another stop sign where you can take a left back to the store (store can be seen from the left) or right taking to towards hwy 27.

Its logical they turned down the road McCraney went, this is where things could have started.....I will not speculate.

So back to what I was thinking about where the murders took place. There is a possibility it occured on herring. I recall a few years ago, around 1-2 am hearing 6 gunshots outside when I worked at the hospital. Reported it and after some time a cop drove through and nothing came about it. No dogs barked, no lights turned on in the apartments or houses to the left. (There is a really obnoxious tiny dog that barks at the wind is outside at all times roaming the streets---only mentioned because he didn't go ape *advertiser censored* despite 10 min prior he was barking at me and the cars driving past).

On herring the houses are close but not as close as one would think. And there is a creek, a small trail, an abandoned looking barn in the woods. Pitch black at night. I know some pictures were posted in a previous thread. So the killer could have easily driven the vehicle with them there and taken them down said trail before bringing them to the car and discharging 2 fatal shots. Also I'm not sure how concrete the statements about the blood that was sprayed underneath the car suggesting traveling after being shot, mind you it took 6 hours to figure out one can open the trunk from the inside and why it wasn't even thought to open it by other means is odd. They just received missing persons report, warrant or not they could've opened with minimal alterations to what little evidence they had. Then the person could have walked home to wherever, be it close, semi close or not. Rarely did OPD pull over and interact with people walking at night unless it was a suspicious person reported like the few resident alcoholic and the few schizophrenic people they always arrested. (You hear reports over the scanner if they do) Depending on what he was wearing he could have been "jogging" not unheard for a person to go exercise at odd hours, they had one gym that was open 24/7 across from the police department. Also the way the 9mm is described laying on the leg, if the killer drove he would have had to stop, open the trunk a 2nd to place the shell or he did it there only opening and closing it once.

Should be noted, I've noticed how shocked people are (not necessarily here) the car and potential murder happened not far from herring. The police department is a just a little bit away from downtown but its not a bustling area especially at night time. It's not so ballsy as someone would imagine.

It's perfectly reasonable for shots tobe fired or what sounds like shots to go unnoticed or reported in Ozark, I've heard what sounded like random gunshots in and around my neighborhood where nothing came about and it's not related to Ft. Rucker which I dont live far from the gate but I'm even closer to the helicopter field. I forget off hand where the ranges are.

So unless an alien swooped down onto broad street and abducted them there is no reason for Merritt to have lost sight of them unless she was exceeding the 25 mph limit (which didnt happen since its patrolled heavy and prone to pulling people over there) and the girls were creeping like a snail down the road.
Similar to Newton, Alabama. The ones that are familiar know once you hit newton you drive that speed limit.

Too add, it's not crazy to wonder why Merritt stopped at the store even though it was closed. Depending on where she lived and where she was coming from (surrounding country towns) she may have forgotten since some lights do stay on. There was no drink machine outside, no outside restroom, nor exterior camera during that time. Just to clear that up. I've seen it posted before and people were confused. Hence the excellent picture from the camera on the inside pointed at the gas pumps. I believe also there was only 2 pumps at that time vs the 4 there now, I'll have to check on that. At one time it was a junior foods store, then big little store. Its been changed a number of times.

** I was going to post some pictures of the creek, barn, and the neighborhood where he lived but the files are too big.**

I will work on then later today, I'll take some additional ones too

An interesting slice of bread to munch on is this. I remember in the previous thread it was mentioned tire tread was found off of 123. The poster quoted a link to AMW and like many other links the information could not be found. I never heard or seen that mentioned before. Also the unspent 9mm which may or may not be the same the type of 9mm brand used in the gun. For whatever thats worth.

So we have Merritts comments where she directed had the girls follow on broad street to 231 (safest, fastest and most logical route to 231 from the store) then lost sight of them after she goes past the "hump" (doesn't exist, there is a slight curvature in the road prior to hitting the stop light and downtown Ozark.) Between the light and store there are a couple of places to turn but first, the assumptions of being pulled over by a cop is weak, because Merritt would have seen the lights of the cops. The girls were according to her, close, within rear view sight. So even if a someone was traveling towards the store she would have noted a cop going in the direction as well. Also the chances of the girls stopping on the road is slim to none be it a stranger or not, assuming these girls dont make that a habit since most dont. Most of the street is fairly well lit too.

So as I mentioned before they could have turned off to depot lane. But as i mentioned it's a short distance and they would come back out towards the store and broad street, if they turned right after hitting depot. If left it would bring them back to broad. Taking a left would take you down the street where McCraney lived during the time. (Road isnt far from depot) Traveling down the road you pass a small housing area, where you can turn into or keep traveling the short road and hitting a stop sign. Taking a right takes you to Downton, you can for the most see some businesses from there. Taking left takes you back to hwy 27. Takes you to a another stop sign where you can take a left back to the store (store can be seen from the left) or right taking to towards hwy 27.

Its logical they turned down the road McCraney went, this is where things could have started.....I will not speculate.

So back to what I was thinking about where the murders took place. There is a possibility it occured on herring. I recall a few years ago, around 1-2 am hearing 6 gunshots outside when I worked at the hospital. Reported it and after some time a cop drove through and nothing came about it. No dogs barked, no lights turned on in the apartments or houses to the left. (There is a really obnoxious tiny dog that barks at the wind is outside at all times roaming the streets---only mentioned because he didn't go ape **** despite 10 min prior he was barking at me and the cars driving past).

On herring the houses are close but not as close as one would think. And there is a creek, a small trail, an abandoned looking barn in the woods. Pitch black at night. I know some pictures were posted in a previous thread. So the killer could have easily driven the vehicle with them there and taken them down said trail before bringing them to the car and discharging 2 fatal shots. Also I'm not sure how concrete the statements about the blood that was sprayed underneath the car suggesting traveling after being shot, mind you it took 6 hours to figure out one can open the trunk from the inside and why it wasn't even thought to open it by other means is odd. They just received missing persons report, warrant or not they could've opened with minimal alterations to what little evidence they had. Then the person could have walked home to wherever, be it close, semi close or not. Rarely did OPD pull over and interact with people walking at night unless it was a suspicious person reported like the few resident alcoholic and the few schizophrenic people they always arrested. (You hear reports over the scanner if they do) Depending on what he was wearing he could have been "jogging" not unheard for a person to go exercise at odd hours, they had one gym that was open 24/7 across from the police department. Also the way the 9mm is described laying on the leg, if the killer drove he would have had to stop, open the trunk a 2nd to place the shell or he did it there only opening and closing it once.

Should be noted, I've noticed how shocked people are (not necessarily here) the car and potential murder happened not far from herring. The police department is a just a little bit away from downtown but its not a bustling area especially at night time. It's not so ballsy as someone would imagine.

It's perfectly reasonable for shots tobe fired or what sounds like shots to go unnoticed or reported in Ozark, I've heard what sounded like random gunshots in and around my neighborhood where nothing came about and it's not related to Ft. Rucker which I dont live far from the gate but I'm even closer to the helicopter field. I forget off hand where the ranges are.

So unless an alien swooped down onto broad street and abducted them there is no reason for Merritt to have lost sight of them unless she was exceeding the 25 mph limit (which didnt happen since its patrolled heavy and prone to pulling people over there) and the girls were creeping like a snail down the road.
Similar to Newton, Alabama. The ones that are familiar know once you hit newton you drive that speed limit.

Too add, it's not crazy to wonder why Merritt stopped at the store even though it was closed. Depending on where she lived and where she was coming from (surrounding country towns) she may have forgotten since some lights do stay on. There was no drink machine outside, no outside restroom, nor exterior camera during that time. Just to clear that up. I've seen it posted before and people were confused. Hence the excellent picture from the camera on the inside pointed at the gas pumps. I believe also there was only 2 pumps at that time vs the 4 there now, I'll have to check on that. At one time it was a junior foods store, then big little store. Its been changed a number of times.

** I was going to post some pictures of the creek, barn, and the neighborhood where he lived but the files are too big.**

I will work on then later today, I'll take some additional ones too
They could have also turned down Depot Ave./...The street over from Depot Ln...depot Ave is a complete dead end one way in one way out and it runs on the other side of the old Depot..And the old man at the end of Jones st told cops he heard gun shots that night becasue he slept with the windows up and they dismissed him as senile!!!!

She encouraged him to give the cops the DNA sample and he did because they obviously didn’t feel like they had anything to hide. People are forgetting that.
yeah but they were told it was for a family tree remember. He was called in to look at a family tree according to what his wife said.

They could have also turned down Depot Ave./...The street over from Depot Ln...depot Ave is a complete dead end one way in one way out and it runs on the other side of the old Depot..And the old man at the end of Jones st told cops he heard gun shots that night becasue he slept with the windows up and they dismissed him as senile!!!!

The old man's house isnt at a dead end. There is a little dirt road that connects the 2 depot roads that passes in front of his house. So depending which one you came down taking a right, in a short distance cross over the tracks and head towards his house., then pass the ice plant on your way to a stop sign. One road takes you to his house, the street over takes you to the depot, head right and you're at his house. I'll go over there shortly and double check. So you can clearly see the tracks. Stay the course at the stop sign and in a short distance you come to another stop sign next to the feed plant. From stop sign A to stop sign B is an extremely short distance, visible tracks, then half way on the trip the stop becomes easily visible. So if they were followed, trapped, ambushed the distance from his house to the road is minimal the woods to left (coming down depot off of broad) is almost impossible to trek through so would be difficult to account for the wet, dirty clothes.

The cops did state that but they arent medical professionals and moments of lucidity can make even the most demented person appear completely lucid. It would have been interesting to see what criteria they deemed was enough to make that claim about him. You'd be surprised at the things they'd bring claiming something and the person/condition/signs and symptoms were completely illogical and off base to their assessment. And technically senile means related to having or showing weakness or diseases of old age, most popularly associated with cognitive decline. But he could have been an emaciated old man riddled with COPD, heart failure and you name it and that coupled with some odd motor behavior, a misplaced word (s) or phrases and they call the man senile.

Dont take this post as being argumentative because it's not, and my posts are being deleted due to that. I'm trying to post things that arent coming off that way. So mods I apologize ahead of time if you see this and think its coming off that way

As far as the girls being accosted and running in that area, I mentioned early on that the melted ice around the ice plant could account for the wet clothes. And of course the area all around the depot is overgrown and weedy.

When I photographed the ice plant it was 60* in March. The ice was in piles all around it, melting slowly. Obviously in July it would be muddy where the ice was piled because it would've melted quickly.

As far as the girls being accosted and running in that area, I mentioned early on that the melted ice around the ice plant could account for the wet clothes. And of course the area all around the depot is overgrown and weedy.

When I photographed the ice plant it was 60* in March. The ice was in piles all around it, melting slowly. Obviously in July it would be muddy where the ice was piled because it would've melted quickly.

Killarney Rose, I remember when you did that I'm bringing your photos forward.

056_zps5eeb1438.jpg 057_zpsc0cf6988.jpg 052_zps1613975c.jpg 053_zps9453cba4.jpg 055_zpscadf525a.jpg

What is that building in the last photo with the blue posts?

Thread # 1 - Post # 244 - Killarney Rose

Upon entering Depot Ln, the first building I saw was this one, an apparently abandoned house. The back faces Depot Ln
037_zps092bbb94.jpg

This photo, was taken at the same spot in the street as the first one, only the camera was aimed at the Reddy Ice Co.
036_zps8085d0af.jpg

The back of the abandoned building taken from a bit farther down Depot Ln.
038_zps00ef3c0f.jpg

The old house- at the intersection of Depot & Jones.
039_zpsd245344c.jpg

The front of the abandoned building- I was standing in front of the old house with my back to it.
040_zps422f476f.jpg

Big Little Store
009_zpsf4baabc1.jpg

Last edited:
DimeDetective - Thread # 1 - Post # 176

Photo File #1:
The Big/Little Store

_____

The Big/Little Store as it looks today. As KR said, other than new paint and signage, the store looks exactly as it did in 1999:

e2cb7bd9-88d2-43d6-8869-5931fdfadf41.jpg

The pay phone used by Tracie on the night of July 31, 1999:

a06f91b1-eeba-4b49-b3da-679bb89f5e37.jpg

This would've been exactly what Tracie saw if she looked out toward Broad Street/Hwy 27 while on the phone with her mother that night. Notice the proximity of the nearest gas pump — this is where the white pickup truck would have been parked:

d644f68e-a93e-4260-b58c-f89e2d640290.jpg

And this is a view of the pay phone from exactly where the white pickup was parked at the gas pump nearest the store:

b168cb75-870d-45cb-bc67-c3366ccb009a.jpg

A front view of the store itself. Notice the pay phone to the far right:

bd3a4534-d858-433f-bd3b-5435c13f985c.jpg

DimeDetective Thread # 1 - Post # 179

Photo File #2: (A)
Depot Lane

_____

The right turn onto Depot Lane is 0.3 miles — a 29-second drive, according to Google Maps — from the Big/Little Store. We know J.B. and Tracie turned right onto Broad Street and headed west, toward this turn. Depot Lane is one of two potential murder sites the authorities have searched multiple times:

5a39c569-0f0f-4634-89f6-46d6018366c5.jpg

Depot Lane is a very narrow, roughly-paved alleyway:

5c165f82-72a9-4762-b316-46185cbf3b2d.jpg

Driving down Depot Lane, one quickly spots the point where it intersects with Jones Street, marked by the sign and the house straight ahead. Depot Lane dead-ends approximately 250 feet beyond this intersection:

f210f3c4-d58c-40d2-bfc5-3dfa0bd1f7af.jpg

The Depot Lane/Jones Street intersection. At first glance the house straight ahead appeared abandoned, but note the truck parked in the driveway far right:

58904fcd-aa98-46ca-a9a7-512aa0ad95be.jpg

An abandoned building to your left as you approach the Depot Lane/Jones Street intersection:

28e0f368-9d05-478a-a495-911ba5afdcd9.jpg

DimeDetective Thread # 1 - Post # 179

Photo File #2: (B)
Depot Lane

Though it was a beautiful and sunny day, the sight of this abandoned building gave me a sense of foreboding:

7d84155e-ff47-46ed-9ad8-3793a315b445.jpg

Depot Lane meets Jones Street. MSM reports stated that LE conducted multiple searches for evidence of murder near this intersection:

168bd127-507c-494b-9a69-906a43739be9.jpg

Looking down Jones Street toward Depot Lane and the abandoned building:

1c5e6f52-ebfe-435d-8cd6-1b5a0eb64717.jpg

A view of the abandoned building and Depot Lane from Jones Street:

e7d9970a-5a79-48ee-98d9-e5f0a60b159d.jpg

Driving back toward Broad Street/Hwy 27 on Depot Lane:

98fce2ff-77ba-43c6-8c82-08354a418aff.jpg

The old man's house isnt at a dead end. There is a little dirt road that connects the 2 depot roads that passes in front of his house. So depending which one you came down taking a right, in a short distance cross over the tracks and head towards his house., then pass the ice plant on your way to a stop sign. One road takes you to his house, the street over takes you to the depot, head right and you're at his house. I'll go over there shortly and double check. So you can clearly see the tracks. Stay the course at the stop sign and in a short distance you come to another stop sign next to the feed plant. From stop sign A to stop sign B is an extremely short distance, visible tracks, then half way on the trip the stop becomes easily visible. So if they were followed, trapped, ambushed the distance from his house to the road is minimal the woods to left (coming down depot off of broad) is almost impossible to trek through so would be difficult to account for the wet, dirty clothes.

The cops did state that but they arent medical professionals and moments of lucidity can make even the most demented person appear completely lucid. It would have been interesting to see what criteria they deemed was enough to make that claim about him. You'd be surprised at the things they'd bring claiming something and the person/condition/signs and symptoms were completely illogical and off base to their assessment. And technically senile means related to having or showing weakness or diseases of old age, most popularly associated with cognitive decline. But he could have been an emaciated old man riddled with COPD, heart failure and you name it and that coupled with some odd motor behavior, a misplaced word (s) or phrases and they call the man senile.

Dont take this post as being argumentative because it's not, and my posts are being deleted due to that. I'm trying to post things that arent coming off that way. So mods I apologize ahead of time if you see this and think its coming off that way

My mom has lived next to the ice plant since the 70's!!! I'm ot talking about that old man I am talking about the old man at the OTHER end of Jones st he was still very lucid in 1999..Trust me I have known him since I started school!!!! And there are plenty of places around there to get wet while running trust me and my kids have roamed and played in that area for years!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member