CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

Thank you very much.. I was told by a local no one goes searching that time of year for cows on swakum...

Did the local know if the outbreak of bovine TB in Nicola Valley could’ve altered the normal course of events?

It's going to take a long time to find cause of death if everybody is searching Swakum Mountain and the body is 10 or 15 miles in another direction.

Particularly if LE require a warrant to search on private property yet they don’t have quite enough evidence to support the granting of one.

This comment below had me wondering if LE’s investigation has led to multiple theories.

BBM

Apr 12, 2019
“Another search could commence in the future, Shoihet added, but it depends on what investigators decide.

“I don’t know what the next steps will be, the investigators will go back and figure out what the next steps will be,” she said. “They will still be going over any investigative avenues that have not already been covered.”....”
Search for Ben Tyner “done for now” - Merritt Herald

Last edited:
IIRC it was Swakum Ridge were it was said he might’ve went to look for stray cattle, not the logging road off Hwy 97c near Winnie Flats on Swakum Mtn.

What’s the distance and terrain between the two, I don’t think we know. But if Ben was indeed riding the Sunday, headed in the Swakum Ridge direction and was ambushed/attacked, could’ve the riderless horse ended up on the logging road by the next morning? Why I’m curious - when the horse was located why did other ranchers rationalize it by the comment that Ben might’ve been searching for stray cattle at Swakum Ridge if the distance made it impossible. I’d assume they’d be fully familiar with the lay of the land to have stated that possibility.

I actually have a very good idea of the distance and terrain and I believe two other members do as well.

Perhaps someone made the assumption that because NR has grazing leases in that general area, it would explain how his horse turned up there or perhaps it's no more complicated than someone with a guilty conscience trying to create a reasonable alibi.

If someone was trying to create an alibi, they made some glaring errors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ever-seen-on-before-in-canada-or-us-1.4973156
"Canada is considered officially free of bovine TB, although the statement says isolated cases may occur."

Yes and outbreaks are very serious business because if Canada wasn’t considered “free” of bovine TB it would negatively impact the entire export industry. The animal testing positive in November was from an unknown Nicola Valley Ranch.

Jan 24,2019
“The majority of the animals from the infected herd in the Southern Interior of British Columbia have been tested,” Komal added. “Trace-out testing is being conducted, and animals from the infected herd have been traced to parts of British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan.”

CIFA has placed movement controls on approximately 18,000 animals in 25 herds as the investigation continues.

“Testing, humane destruction, and disposal are carried out as required,” the statement reads.

“They have a very strict protocol to follow,” Boon told the Herald, noting sometimes ranchers question or challenge it...”
Bovine disease traced to Nicola Valley cows - Merritt Herald
(Note the snowless photo, though may not have been taken in Jan)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ever-seen-on-before-in-canada-or-us-1.4973156
"Canada is considered officially free of bovine TB, although the statement says isolated cases may occur."

Thanks Rb (auto correct wants your name to “Rob”) Nice to see a new link. Informative article.
I’m going to say with 100% certainty Ben Tyner was not hired as GM of NR due to 4 sick cows headed to slaughter. Jmo
Three months of sleuthing & I've found not one positive piece of info regarding the operation of NR.
We’ve had bovine TB in my neck of the woods. The large cattle farms have protocol in place in the event an outbreak occurs.
It is also my opinion 4 diseased animals had nothing to do with Ben’s murder.
A business that downsizes & publicly admits to cash flow issues, eliminating not only hourly positions but also the GM position is in dire straits.
It appears operating without a GM was not the answer, necessitating the need to hire Ben Tyner.
I won’t go further with my opinion, as we are each entitled to believe what we believe.

I actually have a very good idea of the distance and terrain and I believe two other members do as well.

Perhaps someone made the assumption that because NR has grazing leases in that general area, it would explain how his horse turned up there or perhaps it's no more complicated than someone with a guilty conscience trying to create a reasonable alibi.

Interesting! So do you know, are any of these mountain biking trails on Swakum Ridge? If so, it appears to be accessible from various directions, by trail.

Swakum , Merritt on Trailforks

Great post @ktm44
Glaring errors is right......

Yes and outbreaks are very serious business because if Canada wasn’t considered “free” of bovine TB it would negatively impact the entire export industry. The animal testing positive in November was from an unknown Nicola Valley Ranch.

Jan 24,2019
“The majority of the animals from the infected herd in the Southern Interior of British Columbia have been tested,” Komal added. “Trace-out testing is being conducted, and animals from the infected herd have been traced to parts of British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan.”

CIFA has placed movement controls on approximately 18,000 animals in 25 herds as the investigation continues.

“Testing, humane destruction, and disposal are carried out as required,” the statement reads.

“They have a very strict protocol to follow,” Boon told the Herald, noting sometimes ranchers question or challenge it...”
Bovine disease traced to Nicola Valley cows - Merritt Herald
(Note the snowless photo, though may not have been taken in Jan)

At that time of year, movement controls would mean nothing and movement controls are not the same as quarantine. Calves had long since been sold and the rest wouldn't be moved anywhere until spring.

Are you of the opinion that Bovine TB could be a motive for muder?

Thanks Rb (auto correct wants your name to “Rob”) Nice to see a new link. Informative article.
I’m going to say with 100% certainty Ben Tyner was not hired as GM of NR due to 4 sick cows headed to slaughter. Jmo
Three months of sleuthing & I've found not one positive piece of info regarding the operation of NR.
We’ve had bovine TB in my neck of the woods. The large cattle farms have protocol in place in the event an outbreak occurs.
It is also my opinion 4 diseased animals had nothing to do with Ben’s murder.
A business that downsizes & publicly admits to cash flow issues, eliminating not only hourly positions but also the GM position is in dire straits.
It appears operating without a GM was not the answer, necessitating the need to hire Ben Tyner.
I won’t go further with my opinion, as we are each entitled to believe what we believe.

On the topic of Ben’s employment, what is the reason you disagree with his reported title of Ranch Manager?

RCMP press release - Feb 1/19
“Tyner’s horse was located in an area just north of Merritt Monday morning around 0530 and reported to RCMP later that day. Tyner was hired as the ranch manager at Nicola ranch in November of 2018 and is new to the Merritt area but has been ranching and riding horses for many years and is believed to be in good shape and quite competent in the bush.”
Lower Mainland District RCMP - Search for Missing Merritt Cowboy Update

Why would a cowboy use a snow filled seasonal trail and risk laming a horse rather than a cleared logging road?

It was a balmy 11C in Merritt on the Sunday when Ben allegedly went missing, temperatures above zero many days prior iirc by temp records. So I have no idea how it’s come to pass that everywhere around Merritt must’ve been snow covered although certainly at higher elevations it likely was.

From Alberta, on the other side of the Rockies, the relationship between temperature and snow is one thing I can definitely speak with experience about. :)

It was a balmy 11C in Merritt on the Sunday when Ben allegedly went missing, temperatures above zero many days prior iirc by temp records. So I have no idea how it’s come to pass that everywhere around Merritt must’ve been snow covered although certainly at higher elevations it likely was.

From Alberta, on the other side of the Rockies, the relationship between temperature and snow is one thing I can definitely speak with experience about. :)
Yes you know better than people who live here so yep your right no snow on mt.. It was just figment of our imagination that we seen snow. BTW merritt is in a valley, mt surround.

It was a very nice day when he went missing but I believe that other members from that area have stated that they had snow before then and quite a bit of snow at higher elevations.

There is still snow in higher elevations in Alberta and the temperatures have been quite lovely.

It would be quite helpful if you could clarify the significance of the bike trails and bovine TB to your theory.

At that time of year, movement controls would mean nothing and movement controls are not the same as quarantine. Calves had long since been sold and the rest wouldn't be moved anywhere until spring.

Are you of the opinion that Bovine TB could be a motive for muder?

No, most likely not directly, no more so than if NR was on the brink of financial disaster.

By this comment below, whatever the reason it seemed he took the job as it represented an exciting adventure....which is really at the heart of the tragedy of his mysterious disappearance.

Anytime you needed Ben to gather cows, or brand cows, or if you needed him with a horse trailer, he’d drop whatever he was doing to help somebody — a solid, strong guy.”

Always eager to learn, Tyner jumped at the opportunity to work in B.C., he said.

“Who wouldn’t want to go to a big cattle ranch in Canada — a new horizon, a new way to see things?”...”

‘We’re coming for you’: Search on for ‘true American cowboy’ missing in B.C. backcountry

However the bovine TB scare in general, in Nicola Valley might’ve served as a connection, a common issue, between Ben and other ranchers in the valley. Did he socialize with others, surely he must’ve began to get to know other people aside from the few who worked at NR? Where was he that LE “knew” on the Saturday night? Socializing, small talk, people almost always talk of what they did that day or plan to do the next day.

Last edited:
Yes maybe. I’ve not noticed anyone insisting Ben was riding in high snow covered elevations nor have I. The search proved he wasn’t found in the immediate area of where his horse was found and it appears he had no reason to be in the logging road anyway. However horses are capable of travel without a rider. My question would be (not directly to you) what’s the point of staging a horse where the rider was unlikely to be, intentionally creating immediate suspicion?

It’s a mystery why it was reported Ben was seen riding Saturday and then again Sunday, including where he might’ve been headed.
“Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then.”
Is this your link for that quote?
Searchers narrow time frame of Merritt cowboy's disappearance

Because you post it like it's fact that he rode Sunday and that no other timeframe has been mentioned. With the link that I just posted, it does say Sunday, but the reason is obvious. Logic can easily lead any of us to believe since they narrowed the time Ben was seen and say they now know his whereabouts Saturday night, it makes complete sense that if he did ride out and disappear, they would not think it had to be Sunday. JMO

It was a very nice day when he went missing but I believe that other members from that area have stated that they had snow before then and quite a bit of snow at higher elevations.

There is still snow in higher elevations in Alberta and the temperatures have been quite lovely.

It would be quite helpful if you could clarify the significance of the bike trails and bovine TB to your theory.

In Alberta or anywhere where there’s still snow “up there” it’s because the greater the elevation, the lower the temperature and if it’s not meeting, it’s still below zero Celsius. Otherwise when it’s below zero, it snows, gets warmer and the snow melts and so forth throughout the entire winter. So yes, members may have stated it had snowed. But the ground entirely snow covered Jan 26/27th? An 11C day (52F) in Merritt, any snow would be rapidly melting.

I’m curious if the mountain bike trails are on or near Swakum Ridge because if so, it appears to be an accessible area for off-road traffic, whether bike or horseback, maybe quading.

In Alberta or anywhere where there’s still snow “up there” it’s because the greater the elevation, the lower the temperature and if it’s not meeting, it’s still below zero Celsius. Otherwise when it’s below zero, it snows, gets warmer and the snow melts and so forth throughout the entire winter. So yes, members may have stated it had snowed. But the ground entirely snow covered Jan 26/27th? An 11C day (52F) in Merritt, any snow would be rapidly melting.

I’m curious if the mountain bike trails are on or near Swakum Ridge because if so, it appears to be an accessible area for off-road traffic, whether bike or horseback, maybe quading.
MERRITT may not have had snow on the ground.. Mt goes up fairly quickly. SNOW IS still in the mountains now (want proof I can post pic) it is 16 out today, been warm for a bit now. This is in Jan, Coquihalla drivers urged to take note of snowfall patterns isn't like there had not been snow before Ben went missing.

But hey you are right, NO SNOW

On the topic of Ben’s employment, what is the reason you disagree with his reported title of Ranch Manager?

RCMP press release - Feb 1/19
“Tyner’s horse was located in an area just north of Merritt Monday morning around 0530 and reported to RCMP later that day. Tyner was hired as the ranch manager at Nicola ranch in November of 2018 and is new to the Merritt area but has been ranching and riding horses for many years and is believed to be in good shape and quite competent in the bush.”
Lower Mainland District RCMP - Search for Missing Merritt Cowboy Update
Ranch manager, manger of a ranch, just plain manger....it's not hard to read between the lines. He's not under anyone except the owners. General Manager is just terminology.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back