CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019 - #3

I am sorry but you seem to focus on the first week when they still thought he was just missing. The search on ranch leads to believe LE is thinking in a different direction now.. JMO

Do you have a link to indicate police know Ben was attacked on NR?

And what of the truck and trailer theory, that was talked about the first week too. Is that old information as well?

IMO it’s entirely okay that we on WS don’t know what happened or where it happened.

Last edited:
@zecats do you have a link about Ben riding out on Sunday? Tia
It's mentioned in this article using the word "believed. We all know the word "believed" is not a definite.

"Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then."

Searchers narrow time frame of Merritt cowboy's disappearance

IMO, this article brings forward a Saturday evening awareness of Ben, so only logical to assume if he did ride, which at this early report (Jan 30) was still being considered, that it would then have to be Sunday.

@zecats do you have a link about Ben riding out on Sunday? Tia

It’s here, included in the same report that the RCMP announced the Saturday night whereabouts. Both videos on this link are informative as well, as the search had almost concluded.

“Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then...”

It’s here, included in the same report that the RCMP announced the Saturday night whereabouts. Both videos on this link are informative as well, as the search had almost concluded.

“Police believe 32-year-old Benjamin Tyner, the ranch manager of nearby Nicola Ranch, went out on horseback Sunday, but he has not been seen or heard from since then...”
This article is dated "Updated: January 31, 2019 - 1:18pm", they had nothing else to go on at that point. Older Information
Newer articles and video seemed to suggest it sent them in new direction.. MOO

This article is dated "Updated: January 31, 2019 - 1:18pm", they had nothing else to go on at that point. Older Information

Okay, we need to disregard first week msm, I think.
As I mentioned, LE did a 180, quickly going with the “trailered” theory, leading them right back to the starting point, NR. Because obviously, if trailered, he would be picked up at NR, as he could not leave the ranch area w/o leaving hoof prints. So wherever he kept Gunny, is most likely where she was trailered from. If she was in a stall, the trailer was prob backed into the barn, leaving no tracks.

If this is what you’re referring to, this comment was made at the conclusion of the 3 day NR ranch search. So to your comment, that must make NR an “old direction” too then I guess.

Another search could commence in the future, Shoihet added, but it depends on what investigators decide.

“I don’t know what the next steps will be, the investigators will go back and figure out what the next steps will be,” she said. “They will still be going over any investigative avenues that have not already been covered.”...”

Search for Ben Tyner “done for now” - Merritt Herald

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...e-of-cowboy-may-involve-criminality-1.5063152
"Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says members of the Southeast District Major Crime Unit have reviewed the evidence that has been collected since Ben Tyner went missing and have determined the case may involve criminal activity."

They don't out right say criminal but implied. Helicopters would have been able to tell if horse went cross country NR to other side of mountain, and they were very activity that week... Ben and Horse would not have went on highway around the mountain, so LE logically figured only way HORSE got to other side is by trailer. MOO

Okay, we need to disregard first week msm, I think.
As I mentioned, LE did a 180, quickly going with the “trailered” theory, leading them right back to the starting point, NR. Because obviously, if trailered, he would be picked up at NR, as he could not leave the ranch area w/o leaving hoof prints. So wherever he kept Gunny, is most likely where she was trailered from. If she was in a stall, the trailer was prob backed into the barn, leaving no tracks.

Did you also watch the videos on the link in my reply to you? Both possibilities, Sunday out riding and inquiring if Ben was went by truck and trailer are referred to.

Neither have been retracted nor have LE ever stated why they believe whatever it is they presently believe.

If this is what you’re referring to, this comment was made at the conclusion of the 3 day NR ranch search. So to your comment, that must make NR an “old direction” too then I guess.

Another search could commence in the future, Shoihet added, but it depends on what investigators decide.

“I don’t know what the next steps will be, the investigators will go back and figure out what the next steps will be,” she said. “They will still be going over any investigative avenues that have not already been covered.”...”

Search for Ben Tyner “done for now” - Merritt Herald

It is now.. Unless something new comes up to bring them back there. MOO

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...e-of-cowboy-may-involve-criminality-1.5063152
"Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says members of the Southeast District Major Crime Unit have reviewed the evidence that has been collected since Ben Tyner went missing and have determined the case may involve criminal activity."

They don't out right say criminal but implied. Helicopters would have been able to tell if horse went cross country NR to other side of mountain, and they were very activity that week... Ben and Horse would not have went on highway around the mountain, so LE logically figured only way HORSE got to other side is by trailer. MOO

Idk why we are debating how Gunny got to area she was found. How many times has LE said she was trailered?
Also, @Seattle1 brought forward msm advising the community is not in danger. LE can not tell the community they are not in danger if they don’t have info.
What if they told the public they are safe & a maniacal killer kills 25 more? When LE is uncertain, we are advised to take extra precautions-don’t be out alone, lock doors/windows, don’t open your doors, get in before dark, be aware......
IMO, there is zero chance Ben was killed on Swakum and brought to NR compost pile.
Moo

Apparently the horse wasn’t found on the other side of the mountain. According to the RCMP that I’ve linked several times already she was found “just north of Merritt” and the search area was 15km (appx 9 miles) north of Merritt. NR appears to be 12km (appx 7 miles) east of Merritt.

I don’t understand why it’s seems important that Ben was attacked at NR as opposed to while riding or that we all agree on the same theory. That the RCMP is able to solve Ben’s disappearance so the perp will be held accountable is what matters most.

Apparently the horse wasn’t found on the other side of the mountain. According to the RCMP that I’ve linked several times already she was found “just north of Merritt” and the search area was 15km (appx 9 miles) north of Merritt. NR appears to be 12km (appx 7 miles) east of Merritt.

I don’t understand why it’s seems important that Ben was attacked at NR as opposed to while riding or that we all agree on the same theory. That the RCMP is able to solve Ben’s disappearance so the perp will be held accountable is what matters most.
So you are implying that horse was found on same side of mountain as ranch?

ETA: BT's parent's returned to Wyoming taking their son's horse and dogs with them. RCMP states BT's disappearance is suspicious, and foul play suspected, but community should not feel at risk.

Above quote is from previous link.
So we know Ben’s horse was trailered, Ben is missing, last seen Saturday @2 but Saturday evening whereabouts known to LE. We know LE believe Ben was targeted & the community is not in danger.
Common sense tells me LE knows the murderer as well as the motive causing Ben to be a targeted victim. If not, the community would be at risk, right?
Moo

Locals any of you know this FS Road?
Here is a quote of more specific area for location of horse, other than just "North of Merritt."

date Feb 13

'No closure': Family of missing cowboy Ben Tyner appeal for more information in search

Investigators are now asking anyone who may have seen Tyner the weekend of Jan. 26 and 27, or a truck and trailer that may have transported him to the Swakum Mountain or OK Forest Service Road off Mamit Lake Road, to contact Merritt RCMP through a dedicated tip line at 1-877-987-8477.

ETA I see from map here that Mamit Lake Rd is also 97c

Locals any of you know this FS Road?
Here is a quote of more specific area for location of horse, other than just "North of Merritt."

date Feb 13

'No closure': Family of missing cowboy Ben Tyner appeal for more information in search

Investigators are now asking anyone who may have seen Tyner the weekend of Jan. 26 and 27, or a truck and trailer that may have transported him to the Swakum Mountain or OK Forest Service Road off Mamit Lake Road, to contact Merritt RCMP through a dedicated tip line at 1-877-987-8477.

ETA I see from map here that Mamit Lake Rd is also 97c
Highway 97c is opposite side of mountain from ranch. Mamit lake rd opposite side of mountain... Driving up NR ranch side we went 16km and were not at the top..

I know few things to contribute and this I know by my own lifetime experience. KR is a hounds men, he owns and runs hounds and chases cats, big cats. He is also a hunter and trapper. By NATURE when he found Gunny he back tracked her to find out what direction she came from. He did this instinctively, trust me.

That is why he made statements to the effect that Gunny did NOT come there straight from the NR, he knew Ben did not ride there. Maybe it did not come out in the MSM, but the RCMP knows which direction and how she got there. I have had hounds, bird dogs, cow/hog dogs and have hunted my whole life and this is how it goes.

I really don't know why they continued to search Swakum MTN after KR told them they were wasting there time and resources. They should have put more focus on other area's such as NR as a starting point.

It would be interesting to know who received Gunny after getting off the mountain. Was that person a horseman ? What did they observe ? If they where a true horseman they would have looked Gunny over very carefully, it's just what a horseman would do by nature. I know it's been reported that Gunny was at the Lower Nicola Reserve.

ALL JMO.

Highway 97c is opposite side of mountain from ranch. Mamit lake rd opposite side of mountain... Driving up NR ranch side we went 16km and were not at the top..
I can find Mamit Lake Rd but not OK Forest Service Rd. Thanks.

I know few things to contribute and this I know by my own lifetime experience. KR is a hounds men, he owns and runs hounds and chases cats, big cats. He is also a hunter and trapper. By NATURE when he found Gunny he back tracked her to find out what direction she came from. He did this instinctively, trust me.

That is why he made statements to the effect that Gunny did NOT come there straight from the NR, he knew Ben did not ride there. Maybe it did not come out in the MSM, but the RCMP knows which direction and how she got there. I have had hounds, bird dogs, cow/hog dogs and have hunted my whole life and this is how it goes.

I really don't know why they continued to search Swakum MTN after KR told them they were wasting there time and resources. They should have put more focus on other area's such as NR as a starting point.

It would be interesting to know who received Gunny after getting off the mountain. Was that person a horseman ? What did they observe ? If they where a true horseman they would have looked Gunny over very carefully, it's just what a horseman would do by nature. I know it's been reported that Gunny was at the Lower Nicola Reserve.

ALL JMO.
I also remember reading a statement from him that he did back-track the horse. He stated he was unable to find tracks from the ranch but only back to wild horse tracks that he took to mean Gunny had been among them before he discovered her. He also stated he had been out there for a while and had not seen any tracks from ranch up there.

Idk why we are debating how Gunny got to area she was found. How many times has LE said she was trailered?
Also, @Seattle1 brought forward msm advising the community is not in danger. LE can not tell the community they are not in danger if they don’t have info.
What if they told the public they are safe & a maniacal killer kills 25 more? When LE is uncertain, we are advised to take extra precautions-don’t be out alone, lock doors/windows, don’t open your doors, get in before dark, be aware......
IMO, there is zero chance Ben was killed on Swakum and brought to NR compost pile.
Moo

OK, let me be clear here.

It's often a problem when one simply extracts a snip of text from a post, but fails to include the original posters reference or link. And worse if the quote is reporters video statement and not from printed MSM.

Please take note the link provided below to "Global News" includes two separate two minute videos which play one after the other.

The reporters quote from police (attributed to me) that "Area residents don't need to be concerned for their own safety" can be heard in the 2nd two minute video "Global News Hour at 6 " at about 1:14 minute mark. [bbm]

Not disagreeing with you but IMO, it's best to listen to the full context of the reporters message before commenting on it.

Search resumes for missing Merritt cowboy Ben Tyner

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph
Back