Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #92

Status
Not open for further replies.
And bold. Unless he knew precisely how many people were there, and their exact whereabouts, anyone could have stepped on that bridge and interrupted the entire thing. That's depressing to me.
I wonder how far you can see in either direction from the point he got them down the hill. He probably figured if someone else came into view, he'd wait, or scrap the whole thing. JMO

After Monday PC , I am convinced that the suspect will end up being a mid twenties male, highly educated, embedded in the religious community, suffering from severe mental illness such as major depression with psychotic features, and hiding in plain sight by somehow stabilizing himself via medication in order to resume somewahat normal functioning . Still I was curious about how he could make the leap to committing murder, versus committing suicide or other forms of decompensation, and why he has been able to hide in plain sight.

I offer this post as a supplement not a replacement for our current understanding of murderers and serial killers.

In the Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology I came across an article about “Catathymic Crisis” that provides one explanation. A 5 stage process was outlined. According to the author a serial killer never makes it to step 5, but regressed back to stage two and hovers between stage 2 and 4 repetitively, while for others it is possible to commit murder and never repeat it again, oftentimes evading detection.

The stages are:

(1) a thinking disorder occurs within the mind of the person

(2) a plan is created to commit the criminal act of violence

(3). internal emotional tension forces commission of the violent act under regression and loss of impulse control

(4). Superficial calmness occurs after the act and the need to act out is eliminated, normal activity is conducted once again.

(5). The mind adjusts itself and understands that the thinking process that caused the commission of the act was flawed. The mind makes adjustments in order to prevent further criminal activity.

Last edited:
Are you sure they discounted them? I have not heard them say they have ruled out any of the witnesses providing descriptions.
I assume you are talking about the first sketch since he or she did not come forward until about 5 months after the murder. If anything, this now looks very suspicious. It could mean nothing at all, but I just wanted to clarify that LE has discounted this particular person!? (the person, not the suspect depicted in the sketch)

Hi MsBetsy,

I have no idea. There are some responses to my post upstream indicating how this may not necessarily be the case, that perhaps LE realized the description given was not describing BG, but someone else. So I really don’t know. All I know is it was claimed a witness provided the info for the “secondary” sketch, so whatever that means. Whatever the case, this new sketch has been given precedence.

Last edited:
After Monday PC , I am convinced that the suspect will end up being a mid twenties male, highly educated, embedded in the religious community, suffering from severe mental illness such as major depression with psychotic features, and hiding in plain sight by somehow stabilizing himself via medication in order to resume somewahat normal functioning . Still I was curious about how he could make the leap to committing murder, versus committing suicide or other forms of decompensation, and why he has been able to hide in plain sight.

I offer this post as a supplement not a replacement for our current understanding of murderers and serial killers.

In the Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology I came across an article about “Catathymic Crisis” that explains one explanation. A 5 stage process was outlined. According to the author a serial killer never makes it to step 5, but regressed back to stage two and hovers between stage 2 and 4 repetitively, while for others it is possible to commit murder and never repeat it again, oftentimes evading detection.

The stages are:

(1) a thinking disorder occurs within the mind of the person

(2) a plan is created to commit the criminal act of violence

(3). internal emotional tension forces commission of the violent act under regression and loss of impulse control

(4). Superficial calmness occurs after the act and the need to act out is eliminated, normal activity is conducted once again.

(5). The mind adjusts itself and understands that the thinking process that caused the commission of the act was flawed. The mind makes adjustments in order to prevent further criminal activity.
I believe the build up will occur again and he will strike again. jmo If I lived there with children I would be worried out of my mind. moo

Grandfather of one of murdered Indiana teens speaks out | Daily Mail Online

' Grandfather of one of murdered Indiana teens tells of family's devastation as police say 'we're back to square one'

The article is dated today. EST Thursday, Apr 25th 2019

I see this as the date of the article.

"By Louise Boyle In Delphi, Indiana, For Dailymail.com17:00 EDT 17 Feb 2017, updated 08:39 EDT 18 Feb 2017"

Perhaps this republished because of the old "Square One" headline?

My sense of the family is that they would welcome and be grateful the effort to start over if the current direction of investigation goes cold. That has been the stated game plan by the police. They have done it once already. New info is a godsend.

I am reading every other page trying to keep up, so if this has been discussed and disregarded, please accept my apologies!

I know they said the new sketch is BG. However, what if one guy (maybe BG young adult son) drove a friend (or his father) to the trailhead, dropped him off and then waited in the car at the abandoned building lot until he got a call to pick his friend/father up somewhere (cemetery?) at which time he did, and they left? BG tells his friend/son he had to meet someone or went for a walk.

Since that day, the son has known what his dad did, but is terrified to tell. Police had a description of the son sitting in the car, but it didn’t seem linked because the sighting was while the crime was going on so they disregarded it, or made it secondary.

By now going after the son and saying he is the monster, the police are appealing to what little conscious BG may have left...do you want your son blamed for this?

This does not jibe with the statement that the new sketch is BG, but that could be part of the attempt to grab BG’s attention and rile him up...”that isn’t my son! He didn’t do it!”

The police may feel disgusted at the son but also understand he has been put in a tough position because he knows his family will be destroyed if he tells. The son may have also inadvertently told his father the girls would be there...heard it from a friend who heard it from another or something similar...and feels culpable and guilty.

Religious overtones could be referencing a father and son and sacrifice. Don’t know how The Shack fits in, I’m not familiar.

There were a lot of vehicular references in the press conference as well...shifting gears, changing directions, the desire for more power, driving the investigation, key to solving. My son is a mechanic, so I may just be primed to notice that!

I wonder how far you can see in either direction from the point he got them down the hill. He probably figured if someone else came into view, he'd wait, or scrap the whole thing. JMO
It's really amazing because anyone could have walked across the bridge after him. Even a few minutes later as it takes several minutes to cross and by the time he and the girls were off the bridge it would take some time to move down the hill, through the brush and leaves and across the creek and up the bank and across more brush and leaves. Where RL stood with a reporter you could see the bridge clearly so someone who could have come across could also have seen there clearly too, at least from that portion of the bridge, much less hear! Even had the girls not cried, and if he didn't command them, the sound of walking off the trail cross-country would have been noticed. How would he have felt so confident that no one would be crossing the bridge??

This is why I think at some point they were not compliant in where ever he intended to direct them to and the sand bar/shallow point in the river afforded an opportunity to flee back across the river where there were houses along the road. If his car was parked quite a distance from the cemetery, far closer to the main trail access and not on the road under the bridge either, that throws a total spanner into both those theories.

While LE had indicated they believe they were targeted, I’m on the fence about how far in advance were there plans of murder or was this somebody aggressively seeking them out who suffers from uncontrollable violent rage issues, if things do not go his way.....or a drug user high on something.

ETA I wonder if any parents sent their young adult child for drug detox in Feb/17, then later was enrolled in university or college the following semester.

Last edited:
It's really amazing because anyone could have walked across the bridge after him. Even a few minutes later as it takes several minutes to cross and by the time he and the girls were off the bridge it would take some time to move down the hill, through the brush and leaves and across the creek and up the bank and across more brush and leaves. Where RL stood with a reporter you could see the bridge clearly so someone who could have come across could also have seen there clearly too, at least from that portion of the bridge, much less hear! Even had the girls not cried, and if he didn't command them, the sound of walking off the trail cross-country would have been noticed. How would he have felt so confident that no one would be crossing the bridge??

I'm betting he really hustled them out of there.

I know I'm not the first to suggest this an investigative tactic, but why not use Delphi 2016/2017 census demographics cross referenced with Indiana drivers liscences to narrow down the suspect pool? It is really just a process of elimination and should be simple for investigators who have access to records. Here is a loosely researched example:

Online research suggests there were 2882 residents in Delphi in 2017. IF BG is in fact a local, than he should be one of those people.

Slightly over 50% of that population is female, and I think we all agree BG is male, so that cuts the pool to 1470 suspects.

Although the composite sketch of BG appears to be a young person, I doubt he is a child. Therefore I think you could safely eliminate anyone who was under the age of 16 at the time of the murders. I'm not sure of the stat on this one, but there are approximately 1477 students registered in the Delphi school district, and assuming that half of those are female (738), you can subtract those out of the pool, leaving only 739 people to investigate (obviously infants and toddlers could also be eliminated, further reducing this number).

Once again based on the youthful appearance of BG in the sketch I think you can safely eliminate all of the senior citizens in Delphi. I'm not sure what this number would be, but since Delphi's mean age is older than the US average, I'm assuming there are some seniors in town. For the sake of a guess-timate, lets say you could eliminate 100 older men. Suspect pool is down to 639.

BG appears to be caucasian in the video and sketch. Only about 13% of Delphi's population is not 'white' (but that is still about 374 people). The next step would be to eliminate the males aged 16-60 who do not have light skin. I'm just guessing at a number, but say you could cross off another 100 from the list, leaving 539.

There would be a handful of people who were incarcerated, hospitalized, or in care homes at the time of the murder. Cross these people off and you might be down to about 500 suspects.

I doubt that BG has a severe disability, so anyone who is blind, deaf, developmentally delayed, or requires a wheelchair for transportation can also be eliminated.

BG speaks English, so anyone who cannot can also be eliminated.

From this pool of fewer than 500 residents, LE should be able to eliminate those who were without question out of town on Feb. 13, 2017 and/or accounted for at work during the hours the abduction/murders took place. Cross-reference the names left on the list with their photo ID to see who most closely resembles the individual in the sketch. Assign officers to investiage the 10-20 people from this list who most closely fit the look to see if any also fit the profile or are already on their radar.

I agree with you.
Hopefully they ARE doing that-

AND if the police have a shred if DNA evidence that could be relevant,
I think the people of Delphi and surrounds should have a voluntary DNA drive to get a case specific database going for a familial match.

And how could he know whether to abort, as soon as he stepped off the bridge he would have been unable to see the other end. So while he was forcing 2 girls down the hill and across the creek he couldn't have known whether someone had just started across the bridge, whether he was hidden, if he was alone.

This was the quote I was thinking of but it’s probably not connected to the recently announced “new direction” -

“There’s a lot of false information out there,” Holeman confirms. “Social media, although not new… does impede our investigation. Like when people put up side-by-side photos of innocent people—or, at least, people with no ties to the state of Indiana or Delphi—which creates false [information]. People believe it [though] because it’s on the internet.”

And armchair detectives are even taking their interest in the case a step further by creating YouTube reenactments of the crime.

“[The videos] help us know that people don’t know [the true details], because the facts haven’t been released,” Holeman says. “People watch the news and think they are picking up on things, but it’s false. Nothing out there is accurate, which only leads to more false tips.”..”
Why Police Have Not Released Details on the Murders of Libby German and Abby Williams from Delphi, Indiana

“Nothing out there is accurate, which leads to more false tips”..”
Well then wouldn’t it help your cause and improve your tips if you corrected the incorrect information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLEUTHER TRAE PGH