Deceased/Not Found Australia - Cheryl Grimmer, 3, Fairy Meadow Beach, NSW, 12 Jan 1970

‘The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Lloyd Babb SC said there would be no appeal against the court's decision on Wednesday, the Daily Telegraph reported.

The confirmation comes despite the fact the court had not yet received a police submission, who argue the judge's ruling was wrong.

Attorney-General Mark Speakman has demanded an explanation as to why the case will not be appealed.

'I have asked the Director of Public Prosecutions for information about the decision not to appeal from the judgment of the Supreme Court,' Mr Speakman said.

Mr Speakman said police and the DPP would be meeting to speak on the matter.

The family of the murdered toddler are adamant police found the right man and are desperate for him to front a jury.

Ricki Nash, 55, one of Cheryl's older brothers, said the heart had been 'ripped' out of the family.

'The DPP is spineless to drop the case so quickly and not appealing,' he said on Wednesday.’

Family of murdered three-year-old Cheryl Grimmer slam 'spineless' prosecutors for dropping appeal | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
From reading the Daily Telegraph at lunchtime there was a bit more to it than appears in the Daily Mail but it is behind a paywall. I don't have a copy so going from memory.
The confession which was deemed not to be evidence was supported by witness reports.
Things included in the testimony were taking them to a place with a cattle grate which was no longer there in 1971 when he was interviewed but was confirmed as being there by another witness who said that he drove over it every day so knew where it was.
The testimony also contained information where he described Cheryl's bathers.
There was a witness who was 10 at the time, that described a tattoo. He picked 4 men out of an ID parade of 20 and the man arrested had a tattoo similar to the one described.
Another person saw a man lift her up to the water bubbler.

Would like to hear from Sainter1au

Wonder if there's more info out there about the suspect that could shed light on this.

Awful, horrible story.

Also just read about the Wanda beach murders for first time. Awful.

I've got nothing to add.
I'm as disappointed as everyone else, (bar the accused and his legal team), that a modern technicality is denying justice.
I would hope that the prosecution would take it further.

Poor Ricki. To live with such guilt. And beatings from his stepfather. He was just a child.

Cheryl Grimmer's brother reveals his guilt for leaving her alone - when she was snatched and killed | Daily Mail Online

Seems very unfair, doesn't it? I mean, there was an adult at the beach with them that day who presumably could have accompanied Cheryl into the ladies changerooms - instead of leaving the responsibility up to the boys, or to Cheryl herself.

Too often, very young children are left to take care of other younger children. The responsibility is enormous, and this time there was the worst of consequences, through no fault of Ricki's at all. How could he know about sexual predators at that age?

Seems very unfair, doesn't it? I mean, there was an adult at the beach with them that day who presumably could have accompanied Cheryl into the ladies changerooms - instead of leaving the responsibility up to the boys, or to Cheryl herself.

Too often, very young children are left to take care of other younger children. The responsibility is enormous, and this time there was the worst of consequences, through no fault of Ricki's at all. How could he know about sexual predators at that age?
I suppose it may have been ‘easier’ for Ricki to blame himself, rather than the adult.

I suppose it may have been ‘easier’ for Ricki to blame himself, rather than the adult.

Yes. Though, to my way of thinking, that adult should never have allowed Ricki to blame himself. Should have done everything in her power to alleviate that. To stop the beatings. To remove Ricki from that situation. The responsibility was clearly the adult's responsibility. imo

Yes. Though, to my way of thinking, that adult should never have allowed Ricki to blame himself. Should have done everything in her power to alleviate that. To stop the beatings. To remove Ricki from that situation. The responsibility was clearly the adult's responsibility. imo
I wholeheartedly agree with you, SA. Hopefully one day Ricki will realise that.

I am sure the adult had told Riki that it wasn't his fault. I think no matter how much reassurance that people get they will still feel some blame. We are our own worst critics.

Somehow the adult was not able to stop Ricki being beaten, though. Those beatings likely had the biggest impact, made him really feel that he was to blame.

"May 17, 2019. The New South Wales attorney general will not intervene to force the prosecution of a man charged with the murder of toddler Cheryl Grimmer 49 years ago.

Mark Speakman said on Friday that he would not use his power to instruct the department of public prosecutions to appeal the supreme court’s decision to omit a crucial piece of evidence in the cold case.

“Having looked at the judgment very carefully, and having taken the advice of the crown advocate, I have concluded that any appeal will fail [and] therefore I can’t bring an appeal,” Speakman said."

Cheryl Grimmer case: NSW won't force prosecution of man previously charged with toddler's murder

"May 28, 2019. Victoria Police fear for the safety of the man formerly charged over the murder of a three-year-old and have sought a court order to protect him from the missing toddler's brother.

Police served the interim intervention order on Ricki Nash, the older brother of Cheryl Grimmer who went missing in 1970, preventing him from stalking, approaching or contacting the Victorian man, who cannot be named."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-with-intervention-order-20190528-p51s09.html

"May 17, 2019. The New South Wales attorney general will not intervene to force the prosecution of a man charged with the murder of toddler Cheryl Grimmer 49 years ago.

Mark Speakman said on Friday that he would not use his power to instruct the department of public prosecutions to appeal the supreme court’s decision to omit a crucial piece of evidence in the cold case.

“Having looked at the judgment very carefully, and having taken the advice of the crown advocate, I have concluded that any appeal will fail [and] therefore I can’t bring an appeal,” Speakman said."

Cheryl Grimmer case: NSW won't force prosecution of man previously charged with toddler's murder

"May 28, 2019. Victoria Police fear for the safety of the man formerly charged over the murder of a three-year-old and have sought a court order to protect him from the missing toddler's brother.

Police served the interim intervention order on Ricki Nash, the older brother of Cheryl Grimmer who went missing in 1970, preventing him from stalking, approaching or contacting the Victorian man, who cannot be named."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...-with-intervention-order-20190528-p51s09.html
I hope Ricki abides by the order. There has been enough tragedy without him ending up in gaol.

Last edited:

It just seems so unfair, doesn't it?
So much inequity in our 'justice' system.

‘The Cheryl Grimmer case was stained with police error and incompetence, according to the man who delivered a suspect to court after 50 years.

Veteran Wollongong detective Frank Sanvitale reinvestigated the case, had a suspect charged and brought before the court, only to see him walk free in February this year.

The events that have followed the shock breakdown of the prosecution case have led the seasoned Wollongong detective to doubt whether "the powers that be" want the truth to come out.’

‘He has received no explanation from the NSW Department of Public Prosecutions about their decision not to appeal a judge's ruling to reject the key piece of evidence - a signed confession from the suspect made 16 months after three-year-old Cheryl disappeared from Fairy Meadow beach in 1970.

He's had no advice on what would be needed to get the case back before the courts and no satisfactory response from the NSW Cold Case unit as to whether the investigation into Cheryl's death and murder is still active or lying dormant.’

'This case broke me': Cop speaks out after Wollongong murder suspect walks free

‘The Cheryl Grimmer case was stained with police error and incompetence, according to the man who delivered a suspect to court after 50 years.

Veteran Wollongong detective Frank Sanvitale reinvestigated the case, had a suspect charged and brought before the court, only to see him walk free in February this year.

The events that have followed the shock breakdown of the prosecution case have led the seasoned Wollongong detective to doubt whether "the powers that be" want the truth to come out.’

‘He has received no explanation from the NSW Department of Public Prosecutions about their decision not to appeal a judge's ruling to reject the key piece of evidence - a signed confession from the suspect made 16 months after three-year-old Cheryl disappeared from Fairy Meadow beach in 1970.

He's had no advice on what would be needed to get the case back before the courts and no satisfactory response from the NSW Cold Case unit as to whether the investigation into Cheryl's death and murder is still active or lying dormant.’

'This case broke me': Cop speaks out after Wollongong murder suspect walks free
thanks bo
we feel his and the family's pain.:(

good ol dpp strikes again!:confused:
oh wait....doesn't strike again.....I mean....o_O

‘This Sunday on 60 Minutes, one of Australia's most disturbing cold cases is blown wide open, fifty years on.

In an exclusive television interview, Cheryl Grimmer's three brothers – Ricki, Stephen and Paul – speak to Tara Brown, to share their enduring torment over the dreadful day they lost their sister.

And in a shocking revelation, 60 Minutes reports the man who confessed to kidnapping and killing Cheryl is now walking free – never to face a day in prison.’

https://www.9news.com.au/national/wollongong-news-cheryl-grimmer-cold-case-fairy-meadow-beach-abduction-60-minutes/

‘This Sunday on 60 Minutes, one of Australia's most disturbing cold cases is blown wide open, fifty years on.

In an exclusive television interview, Cheryl Grimmer's three brothers – Ricki, Stephen and Paul – speak to Tara Brown, to share their enduring torment over the dreadful day they lost their sister.

And in a shocking revelation, 60 Minutes reports the man who confessed to kidnapping and killing Cheryl is now walking free – never to face a day in prison.’

https://www.9news.com.au/national/wollongong-news-cheryl-grimmer-cold-case-fairy-meadow-beach-abduction-60-minutes/

How terribly, terribly heartbreaking for Ricki and his brothers. They have never been able to get past this tragedy in their lives.

Watching this now. They were just so young, so innocent, so unaware of the dangers ...
And a heartbroken Vince blaming Ricki, and the rest of them. So unfair. It was and is the 'known perp' who is to blame.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back