Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #102

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking out loud.
I still cant get over "the killer may be in this room". If Carter is still saying this, what does it mean?
He knows who it is and knows he is there
He thinks he knows who it is and they are there
A piece of evidence suggests that the unknown killer may have attended a previous press conference and the believe he could be there this time
A profile they may have obtained suggests that a killer like this might be likely to involve themselves in a case and they hope they may have lured him out
He has no idea. He saw a dramatic movie and decided to ramp up his own dramatics to bring new interest in a stale case

The statement seems like something out of TV shows to me. I have seen a number of pressers and I do not recall ever hearing this type of bold statement.
I hope that it means they know exactly who it is, and the mention of needing "one tip" seems to suggest that. But as the time passes, I start to think it might be a ways down the road until we see someone come forward with that one tip.

My take on Carter saying, “the killer may be in this room". Is not to overlook anyone. Just because you would never think someone could be capable of this horrendous crime......look at them, they could be sitting in this room. It could be anyone and the person is likely familiar with Delphi.
jmo

Last edited:
Seems to me LE is going to have to be more specific and describe
typical actions perp may have taken since the crime.
Most ordinary people can not imagine what they're talking about.
Come out and say "More alcohol abuse or drug abuse, or violent
temper, or kicking the cat or sleeping all day, etc.
Maybe they have said this and I missed it. And we don't even know if this was a violent , bloody act. So are we looking for a violent offender? I know they have to limit what they release but they're
begging for help from the public and the public needs more help, imo.
Hi all. They are using “brutal” murder “brutal” killing now when they describe it. I hope that helps,

John Douglas a former FBI Profiler said this a.m on GMA that Carters new strategy is good and that Carter should have done this strategy a long time ago” and he said this could have been a “solvable case REALLY QUICK”. He went on to say that he has learned over the years that information should be released regarding pre offense behavior and post offense behavior..... Thoughts on these comments by John Douglas.?? My thoughts are of sadness that these things didn’t happen sooner. (You can find the clip online. I’m sorry that I don’t have a link) ** DOUG CARTER is the lead investigator/Indiana.... The person I am referring to is JOHN DOUGLAS, a former FBI profiler who GMA brought in today.

Last edited:
Not much news indeed with Douglas yet he was on point. I have been saying this ever since: they released not enough information in the beginning, that's a major problem. I do not know if this is generally a thing in the US to release so few infos, here in Germany usually much much more is realeased, also regarding autopsy findings (if relevant), manner of killings etc. Of course no sensitive details but the more info gets out there the higher the probability that someone can give a useful hint.

He also said they should have released information about probable pre- or post crime behavior, yes exactly! This case has been handled very poorly, sorry to say that but its a reality.

Another issue: I read again in the previous thread snippet that some people speculate if the new sketch was DNA penotyped. It was NOT. First of all they said it was done a few days after the crime. And it was explicitly said that it was drawn by a regular sketch artist. Also btw if you do DNA phenotyping you get the age of the offender at the time of the crime, not decades ago (there was also speculation about that point). Besides those sketches look entirely different (just google it), they are not drawn by hand.

So on GMA Carter didn’t mention anything about the car parked at the old CPS/DCS/Welfare building? In the most recent request for tips I notice reference to the year/make/model of the person’s vehicle has also been deleted.

Is it significant or is to not, no clarification about that.

Delphi: Over 3k tips received since new sketch released
State police also remind tipsters to remember the following when submitting tips:
  • Be specific as possible to a description
  • Name and age if possible
  • A connection to Delphi and that person’s location or address at this time
  • Leaving information on how we can contact you for possible clarification of your tip is helpful but not required
"Please remember that we are looking for information that could lead to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons who committed this crime," Indiana State Police said in their release.

So Douglas say's they should have released more information earlier and basically said this case should have already been solved!
Well he didn't exactly say that but many of us here have wondered
what happened in the investigation to thwart the investigation?
Was it botched by local amateur investigators? Was the crime scene contaminated by the time FBI came in?
Was the perp so brilliant he has fooled investigators?
Was this the perfect crime?
I'd also like to know how much time has FBI really been on the job here or were they simply there to supplement the investigation
with technical help?
I doubt local LE has much experience solving murder crimes.

DBM
John Douglas a former FBI Profiler said this a.m on GMA that Carters new strategy is good and that Carter should have down this strategy a long time ago” and he said this could have been a “solvable case REALLY QUICK”. He went on to say that he has learned over the years that information should be released regarding pre offense behavior and post offense behavior..... Thoughts on these comments by John Douglas.?? My thoughts are of sadness that these things didn’t happen sooner. (You can find the clip online. I’m sorry that I don’t have a link)

MOO FBI and ISP together decided.
They have limited evidence so I suppose that they had to carefully weigh how much to reveal.
MOO I think it is bold for a retired FBI agent to say the crime could have been solved quickly, what evidence reveal would have made that happen? COD?

Not much news indeed with Douglas yet he was on point. I have been saying this ever since: they released not enough information in the beginning, that's a major problem. I do not know if this is generally a thing in the US to release so few infos, here in Germany usually much much more is realeased, also regarding autopsy findings (if relevant), manner of killings etc. Of course no sensitive details but the more info gets out there the higher the probability that someone can give a useful hint.

He also said they should have released information about probable pre- or post crime behavior, yes exactly! This case has been handled very poorly, sorry to say that but its a reality.

Another issue: I read again in the previous thread snippet that some people speculate if the new sketch was DNA penotyped. It was NOT. First of all they said it was done a few days after the crime. And it was explicitly said that it was drawn by a regular sketch artist. Also btw if you do DNA phenotyping you get the age of the offender at the time of the crime, not decades ago (there was also speculation about that point). Besides those sketches look entirely different (just google it), they are not drawn by hand.

I’m curious how DNA phenotyping can reveal the age of the offender at the time of the crime?

I was only able to find this link regarding testing of blood but it appears to be in the very early days of development.
It might now be possible to tell someone's age from blood at a crime scene

Video: Witness in Delphi double murder likely afraid, investigator says

About 2:25. "We are one tip away, one bit of information away, from finding out who this individual is." (Paraphrased)
Well, here I am, having "crow" for breakfast :)
I was so certain they were closer than this, but alas, I have flipped to the other side. However, I do believe they are now heading in the right direction with the investigation, looking closer to home and hopefully too much time hasn't been lost :(

Hi all. They are using “brutal” murder “brutal” killing now when they describe it. I hope that helps,

Thanks, the word is somewhat ambiguous although no doubt it was a cold-blooded and ruthless killing committed by a brute.

Definition of brutal

1: suitable to one who lacks intelligence, sensitivity, or compassion : befitting a brute: such as
a: CRUEL, COLD-BLOODEDa brutal attack
b: HARSH, SEVEREbrutal weather
c: unpleasantly accurate and incisive the brutal truth
d: very bad or unpleasant a brutal mistake
e: grossly ruthless or unfeeling a brutal slander
Definition of BRUTAL

Last edited:
I mistakenly said Presidents day but it was Lincolns birthday (12th) that some states celebrated on 13th Feb that year. Illinois is one state that celebrates, so anyone working for a company based in Illinois may have had that day off. Some Indy companies may have celebrated it too I guess.
I googled Purdue’s schedule for 2017 and I didn’t see any holidays in February, not even the federal Presidents’ Day. Not sure what other colleges are around there to compare to.
There are many reasons why someone could have had that day off from work or school. Maybe he works part time, works weekends and has Monday off (restaurant or retail work for example). Works nights or didn’t have any classes on Monday afternoons.
Just throwing out ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members