Found Safe NC - Shaylie Madden, 7-week-old infant, Biltmore Park in Asheville, 9 May 2019 *Arrest*

I just wish they were not taking so long.

I understand. But I have to look at it through her husband's eyes too. He has the difficult task of caring for his poor, sweet child, and I am sure he is somewhat overwhelmed with those types of daily decisions. And it must be his priority.

And this whole thing probably blindsided him. So he has his own intense emotional circumstances to sort through now too. He probably feels like having her on lockdown, while they prepare for her future treatment, is the best he can do right now. He is kind of in the middle of all of it, and may feel torn in different directions. His parents may be saying one thing, her parents another, the attorneys something else....and he probably has his own internal anger because of what was done to his baby girl.

I just feel like giving him a lot of slack and compassion.

I understand. But I have to look at it through her husband's eyes too. He has the difficult task of caring for the poor child, and I am sure he is somewhat overwhelmed with those types of daily decisions.

And this whole thing probably blindsided him. So he has his own intenseemational circumstances to sort through now too. He probably feels like having her on lockdown, while they prepare for her future treatment, is the best he can do right now. He is kind of in the middle of all of it, and may feel torn in different directions. His parents may be saying one thing, her parents another, the attorneys something else....and he probably has his own internal anger because of what was done to his baby girl.

I just feel like giving him a lot of slack and compassion.

So many reasons you listed for him to get a professional involved who can help give him guidance and options. Hopefully, they are monitoring his mental health too. He needs someone he can trust to help him make these decisions and not to get quagmired in indecision, or too get overwhelmed with options.

So many reasons you listed for him to get a professional involved who can help give him guidance and options. Hopefully, they are monitoring his mental health too. He needs someone he can trust to help him make these decisions and not to get quagmired in indecision, or too get overwhelmed with options.

I totally agree. You are worth your weight in gold to a family, no doubt.

How incredibly distressing it must have been to the friend or relative (that made the first 911 call) to find that she could no longer locate Krista via the Find a Friend app while receiving hoax text messages.

I wonder when Krista turned off her location service so this friend/ relative couldn’t tell the police where Krista was located while throwing her baby off a cliff.

This friend/relative apparently had a very strong connection to Shaylie and could watch Shaylie on the nest cam. She was likely terrified. I feel like giving her a lot of compassion and not Krista.

How incredibly distressing it must have been to the friend or relative (that made the first 911 call) to find that she could no longer locate Krista via the Find a Friend app while receiving hoax text messages.

I wonder when Krista turned off her location service so this friend/ relative couldn’t tell the police where Krista was located while throwing her baby off a cliff.

This friend/relative apparently had a very strong connection to Shaylie and could watch Shaylie on the nest cam. She was likely terrified. I feel like giving her a lot of compassion and not Krista.
Compassion is endless. It does not need to be rationed. JMO

Wonder why they aren't involuntarily committing her? NC DHHS: Involuntary Commitments
If someone is in jail there really is no reason to involuntarily commit them somewhere. And the places they do involuntarily commit you to can be almost as bad as jail, they are usually county and state hospitals. Ideally, she would be bonded out and placed in a facility that will give her a chance to get better.

If someone is in jail there really is no reason to involuntarily commit them somewhere. And the places they do involuntarily commit you to can be almost as bad as jail, they are usually county and state hospitals. Ideally, she would be bonded out and placed in a facility that will give her a chance to get better.
A jail isn't able to provide psychiatric services for people who are psychotic and have a significant chance of self harming or suicide.

County and state hospitals must meet the same JCAHO regulations as private facilities. This is a half century from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Only in Emergency Rooms, can an ambulance transport someone and be seen by doctors. But they cannot be admitted into the hospital unless they go through the ER first.
Psychiatric hospitals have diagnostic and evaluation treatment centers inside them. They are also called psychiatric hospital ERs. They provide emergency evaluations.

So you can diagnose her, and make that medical determination?

I have no idea if she is suffering from PPP, or if she is making it up. Even though she seemed to an extent organized in her crime, that does not mean to me that she was not actively psychotic. You would be surprised by the things actively psychotic people can undertake. It is scary. Thankfully many become too disorganized to carry out elaborate plans, however, many can execute their frightening thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea if she is suffering from PPP, or if she is making it up. Even though she seemed to an extent organized in her crime, that does not mean to me that she was not actively psychotic. You would be surprised by the things actively psychotic people can undertake. It is scary. Thankfully many become too disorganized to carry out elaborate plans, however, many can execute their frightening thoughts.
Find me ONE other published case of postpartum psychosis, where the mother premeditated the crime and then obstructed justice by blaming others, hiding her location, and hiding her transportation.

A jail isn't able to provide psychiatric services for people who are psychotic and have a significant chance of self harming or suicide.

County and state hospitals must meet the same JCAHO regulations as private facilities. This is a half century from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Unfortunately, our jails and prisons are our largest mental health providers in this nation. Hundreds of inmates are actively suicidal every day. They are not brought for outside care unless they actually are successful at harming themselves. Actively psychotic inmates just get put in solitary confinement, they are not sent out either, again, unless they are successful at harming themselves to a degree that requires hospitalization.

If she's bonded out and placed in a facility in the ideal situation you're talking about, is she there voluntarily? If so, she could leave on her own. She's already demonstrated that she's a danger to others, right? If she's at a point in her possible mental illness where she thinks that there's nothing wrong with her, and she's there voluntarily, what's going to keep her from leaving?

Find me ONE other published case of postpartum psychosis, where the mother premeditated the crime and then obstructed justice by blaming others, hiding her location, and hiding her transportation.

I am unsure if I can find one meeting those exact parameters, but I can try to link cases that would be comparable. I need to remember if I have any active subscriptions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back