Found Safe NC - Shaylie Madden, 7-week-old infant, Biltmore Park in Asheville, 9 May 2019 *Arrest*

For most acute level private facilities admissions can be accommodated in 24 hours. If there is a will and there is money it can be done. I wish it was being done for her.

We have no idea what his financial situation is. Just because someone looks up the estimated or average income of a surgeon, it doesn't mean that every one of them has a lot of disposable income.

How much does it cost, cash wise, for acute level private facilities? I'd think it would be very pricey.

If your brother was not a threat to himself or others, the ER didn't have to keep him and involuntarily commit him. Krista threw her baby off a cliff (after turning off her location services on her phone). She demonstrated homicidal behavior.
She threw a baby off a cliff, and was in jail because of it.So I don't think you can bail her out of jail, then drop her off at an ER and say she needs to be kept there because of her behaviour.

And my brother was threatening and sometimes violent, but it never allowed him to be kept locked up for longer than 3 to 5 days. They would stabilise him and let him go.

We have no idea what his financial situation is. Just because someone looks up the estimated or average income of a surgeon, it doesn't mean that every one of them has a lot of disposable income.

How much does it cost, cash wise, for acute level private facilities? I'd think it would be very pricey.
This is a University of North Carolina facility, not a private facility.
Center for Women's Mood Disorders
And Krista is an employee of Mission Health System. She has health insurance.

For acute level care between $1000-$2800 a day. I have worked with families that I am pretty sure earn way less than any kind of surgeon and they have taken out private healthcare loans, home equity loans, cashed out of 401k's etc. And once the patient is stabilized, they can be transferred to lower acuity facility which will cost less. I have not placed at UNC where she is supposedly going, but I am pretty sure that they do not take insurance, so it would appear that they have the resources. If for some reason they did not have the resources I cannot imagine that they could not do a fundraiser that would raise the money. I think the article would have said they are just waiting to raise money and they will bond her out and get her into private care.

You must live in a place with extremely inadequate healthcare or socialized medicine. In America, acute psychiatric hospitals have diagnostic evaluation centers which provide emergency and crisis intervention services including emergency evaluations. It's the standard of care.

Ambulance services receive government payments. They can't legally discriminate against psychiatric patients.

And those 'evaluations' are less than helpful, quite often. I have known dozens of families, from our support group, that had a very frustrating time trying to get their troubled, mentally ill family members into care.
So called 'crisis intervention' lasts about 72 hours, before the majority of patients are released.

She threw a baby off a cliff, and was in jail because of it.So I don't think you can bail her out of jail, then drop her off at an ER and say she needs to be kept there because of her behaviour.

And my brother was threatening and sometimes violent, but it never allowed him to be kept locked up for longer than 3 to 5 days. They would stabilise him and let him go.
It sounds like your brother became a medication-resistant schizophrenic. There is nothing that leads us to believe Krista is a medication-resistant schizophrenic.

It sounds like your brother became a medication-resistant schizophrenic. There is nothing that leads us to believe Krista is a medication-resistant schizophrenic.

We dont know what her medical/mental health issues are yet. That is why I am saying we should cut her family some slack until we know what they are doing behind the scenes. JMO

For acute level care between $1000-$2800 a day. I have worked with families that I am pretty sure earn way less than any kind of surgeon and they have taken out private healthcare loans, home equity loans, cashed out of 401k's etc. And once the patient is stabilized, they can be transferred to lower acuity facility which will cost less. I have not placed at UNC where she is supposedly going, but I am pretty sure that they do not take insurance, so it would appear that they have the resources. If for some reason they did not have the resources I cannot imagine that they could not do a fundraiser that would raise the money. I think the article would have said they are just waiting to raise money and they will bond her out and get her into private care.
Univ of North Carolina Medical Center is supported by the state of NC. The super dooper 5 bed facility is part of UNC.
UNC Health Care - Wikipedia
It is not a private healthcare facility. It takes health insurance. UNC Medical Center has schools of medicine, nursing, pharmacy, and public health attached to it and they are assisted by state funds.

So if they are trying to get her admitted there, then I dont understand what all of the harsh criticism is against the family of a crime victim here? Why can't we just assume they are working at getting her in to a appropriate placement, and leave it at that?

Why should we criticise them for not bailing her out, picking her up, and driving to an ER and leaving her there? I don't get it.

In my opinion, if her husband had done that, picked her up at the jail, then driven her to an ER and left her, for them to deal with---people would be going nuts at his arrogance and cruelty. JMO

You must live in a place with extremely inadequate healthcare or socialized medicine. In America, acute psychiatric hospitals have diagnostic evaluation centers which provide emergency and crisis intervention services including emergency evaluations. It's the standard of care.

Ambulance services receive government payments. They can't legally discriminate against psychiatric patients.

I live in America and have extensive experience working in psychiatric hospitals, as well as other treatment settings. I live in a rural, underserved area, and though as I said previously, written policies are similar to what you have posted, things work differently in practice. It is incredibly frustrating, as I’m sure you can imagine. Because I am not interested in becoming verified here, I am going to read here (this case) rather than continuing to comment about specifics from here on out. I am so glad Shaylie is safe, and I hope Krista is too.

This is a University of North Carolina facility, not a private facility.
Center for Women's Mood Disorders
And Krista is an employee of Mission Health System. She has health insurance.

They still might not accept insurance. At Cedar in Colorado, a division of UC Health, located on the University of Colorado campus, is only in network with Anthem BCBS and Cigna. They did not even take ANY insurance until a year ago. All other admits are self pay. https://www.cedarcolorado.org

Because she is a licensed nurse she would also be eligible for Professionals programs (especially ones who specialize in heath professionals). For example, they have a program at Cedar for professionals. It is a 70 day program and the last time I admitted someone there the cost was $26,788. Now this program is probably not a fit for KM, but it gives a comparable rate.

So if they are trying to get her admitted there, then I dont understand what all of the harsh criticism is against the family of a crime victim here? Why can't we just assume they are working at getting her in to a appropriate placement, and leave it at that?

Why should we criticise them for not bailing her out, picking her up, and driving to an ER and leaving her there? I don't get it.

In my opinion, if her husband had done that, picked her up at the jail, then driven her to an ER and left her, for them to deal with---people would be going nuts at his arrogance and cruelty. JMO
The standard of care for someone who is allegedly psychotic and homicidal is to get immediate assessment, diagnosis and treatment. They should also be immediately admitted to a psychiatric facility where there is intense medical supervision 24/7, frequent room searches, and suicide checks every 15 minutes.

The standard of care for someone who is allegedly psychotic is to get immediate assessment, diagnosis and treatment. They should also be immediately admitted to a psychiatric facility where there is intense medical supervision 24/7, room searches, and suicide checks every 15 minutes.

But if someone has already been stabilised, then that emergency assessment protocol goes out the window.

I definitely do not think she should be just brought to an ER, that will not help her. But I do believe that it is imperative for her to get into a healing environment ASAP. A jail is not in any way healing and may cause her to become more acute. She need somewhere that will show her compassion. If called by the family tonight, I could find her placement within 24 hours.

I definitely do not think she should be just brought to an ER, that will not help her. But I do believe that it is imperative for her to get into a healing environment ASAP. A jail is not in any way healing and may cause her to become more acute. She need somewhere that will show her compassion. If called by the family tonight, I could find her placement within 24 hours.

Hopefully they have already reached out to someone for help. Since they are both currently in the medical field, they probably have connections and probably some plans underway, behind the scenes. I hope so anyway.

The DA described the first step in his statement. And that is to have her assessed by a medical team, chosen by the defense. So hopefully that has already been going on. I don't think her family wants to pick her up until they have a good placement for her. I am glad to hear you say that it is possible to get one quickly. Hopefully that will happen.

True. That is where a private facility where she can private pay is a good fit. They can keep her past stabilization and start doing therapeutic work with her.

And that seems to be their plan.Maybe it is taking longer than some would like, but it does seem like they have a plan in place.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back