UT UT- STILL MISSING 5 -Year-Old Elizabeth Shelley , Logan, 25 May 2019 (UNCLE ARRESTED) #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this area rural and do the homes there have water wells? Also, if there are nearby wooded areas, I hope the searchers are looking inside of dead/hollow trees.

JMO

So far to carry a body though, plus he was already at the gas station alone.
I still can’t determine how the SO got to that area maybe a tip was called in.

He was found about 3:30pm on Saturday, local time

I don't know if LE knew at that point about the sighting at the Hyram Short Stop. He was there about 1:30pm local time.

It's very possible LE knew he was in that area and started making some patrols in the general region, or used a drone. It's also possible the folk in that valley were then keyed into looking for him in that region and someone local spotted him

Last edited:
Police suspect Shelley was last seen with Whipple around 2 a.m. He was allegedly visiting the family overnight and discovered missing around 10 a.m. at the same time Shelley could not be found.

Logan City Police Capt. Tyson Budge said Whipple continues to be uncooperative with investigators. During their questioning he rambles and talks in circles, giving police very little to go off of.

“He just talks about the dark twisted world that he lives in,” explained Budge. “Just a lot of self-depravity and about the horrible life that he has had.” [bbm]

Whipple was found by sheriff’s deputies Saturday around 3 p.m., walking in the area of Baxter’s Corral, in Mt. Sterling. He reportedly had some of Shelley’s clothing in his possession and was taken into custody. Saturday night he was booked into jail on a probation violation warrant, in an unrelated case.

Search for missing Logan girl enters day-3 as police try to trace suspect’s steps

ETA: This report comes from local Cache Valley News. Is Baxter's Corral/Mt Sterling near Paradise -- the rural area reported earlier?

So what was so bad about this guys life? I'm very curious to hear his history. Is he intentionally acting crazy to cover up what did to Lizzi or did he have some sort of psychotic breakdown?

So what was so bad about this guys life? I'm very curious to hear his history. Is he intentionally acting crazy to cover up what did to Lizzi or did he have some sort of psychotic breakdown?

He’s probably just feeling sorry for himself, and making excuses.

A psychotic break doesn’t explain his efforts to cover up this crime, which have been somewhat successful thus far.

You don’t hide a body, unless you know you did something wrong.

Sorry Alex, your “horrible life,” doesn’t mitigate what you did to your little niece.

No one will care about his extended version of “Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.”

Timeline of the case listed on abc4.com, or you can check out this link
Timeline into the disappearance of 5-year-old Elizabeth Shelley

May clear up some of the questions I have seen about the whens and wheres in this case.

I live about a 100 miles from where she went missing, but I am familiar with the area as I have family who lives in the area, and not too far from the home she disappeared from.

Some are asking about times and pressers... you can catch any of them and updates on the local news websites:
abc4.com, kutv.com, ksl.com, and fox13now.com

That gas station in Hyrum is very near JBS Beef, which was listed on Facebook as Alexander Whipple's last place of employment. There is a bus line with stops less than a mile from the area of Logan police identified as the primary search area "the area between 300 South to 100 North and 300 West to 600 West" to the Hyrum Short Stop / JBS Beef location. That bus line runs every hour and begins at 5am.

It's very possible LE knew he was in that area and started making some patrols in the general region, or used a drone. It's also possible the folk in that valley were then keyed into looking for him in that region and someone local spotted him
Article said a lot of people in the area he was found knew about the case.
So thankful he was picked up before he messed up more lives. Imo he was in a desperate situation. I think in his frame of mind, he would have tried anything for money, car or drugs.

That gas station in Hyrum is very near JBS Beef, which was listed on Facebook as Alexander Whipple's last place of employment. There is a bus line with stops less than a mile from the area of Logan police identified as the primary search area "the area between 300 South to 100 North and 300 West to 600 West" to the Hyrum Short Stop / JBS Beef location. That bus line runs every hour and begins at 5am.

On Saturday the bus begins later, correct?
I wish he had taken the bus, that’d give police a stronger timeline.
Tysm for local info.

Thank you for sharing! We have talked about his former employment, but I had no clue there was a consistent bus there. Welcome to websleuths :)

Article said a lot of people in the area he was found knew about the case.
So thankful he was picked up before he messed up more lives. Imo he was in a desperate situation. I think in his frame of mind, he would have tried anything for money, car or drugs.

I have to think this was a social media success, either personally through the barbed-wire telegraph or through LE having some key people in that area notified.

LE knew he was familiar with the Hyrum area, having lived and worked there, so it was a natural to check it out in those first hours after 10 am. I recall reading posts that they were checking Hyrum Reservior before noon. He was apprehended 5.5 hours after the missing person report. That's some amazing community and LE work at play.

He’s probably just feeling sorry for himself, and making excuses.

A psychotic break doesn’t explain his efforts to cover up this crime, which have been somewhat successful thus far.

You don’t hide a body, unless you know you did something wrong.

Sorry Alex, your “horrible life,” doesn’t mitigate what you did to your little niece.

Apparently crazy works. Witness the Catherine Hoggle case in MD. Going on five years since she did who-knows-what with her kids, and despite family saying she's clearly manipulating the system to fake incompetence, it's working for her, and she hasn't had to stand trial and won't come clean about what happened to her kids.

How did he get 12 miles away from the home? On foot that is quite a long way.

ETA: 3pm mst has come and gone and so far nothing more reported that what was not disclosed earlier at presser....

At 5/27/19 5:09pm MST

LOGAN, Utah — For the third straight day, Logan Police searched for a missing five-year-old girl, as they build a criminal case against her 21-year-old uncle.

Elizabeth Shelley disappeared from her home in Logan sometime after 2 a.m. Saturday. Her uncle, Alex Whipple, who also vanished from the home, was arrested 12 miles away in a southern, rural part of Cache County.

“We’ve been working around the clock since Saturday morning,” said Captain Tyson Budge, with the Logan Police Department. “No one has stopped.”

Search crews scoured a field today for several hours today and sifted through and collected potential evidence at a number of other different sites in and around Logan, looking for any signs of the girl. Police said they’ve had enough evidence from the beginning to suspect the uncle.

“Everything he has done has been quite deceitful, and we have no reason to believe anything he told us was accurate,” said Budge. “We interviewed him for several hours. He was uncooperative. He made some statements that we were able to verify as untrue very quickly into this interview.” [bbm]

Family reported Elizabeth missing Saturday around 10 a.m. Alex Whipple, now the prime suspect, had shown up at the family’s home before everyone went to bed. According to family, Elizabeth was still in the house around 2 AM.

“When they awoke a little after nine, they observed that Alex and Elizabeth were gone,“ said Budge.

Investigators soon found unspecified evidence near the home.

https://ksltv.com/414889/search-for-missing-girl-continues-in-cache-county-evidence-points-to-uncle/

I have to think this was a social media success, either personally through the barbed-wire telegraph or through LE having some key people in that area notified.

LE knew he was familiar with the Hyrum area, having lived and worked there, so it was a natural to check it out in those first hours after 10 am. I recall reading posts that they were checking Hyrum Reservior before noon. He was apprehended 5.5 hours after the missing person report. That's some amazing community and LE work at play.

Absolutely LE worked their tails off, all weekend.
I’m also grateful Alex didn’t find a spot to nap for a bit, after his exhaustive night, miles of hiking & a six pack, I’m sure he was ready for one. I really think he would have hurt someone, had he not been “assisted to the ground”.

Last edited:
Capital punishment is legal in Utah, and if there's no lethal injection drugs available the convict is killed by firing squad. Last time this was done was with Ronnie Lee Gardner in 2010.
We're definitely looking at the death penalty with AW...
Edit: I said "good news," but that doesn't seem appropriate, changed.

Hi all. New to the site and directly connected to Lizzy's case. Willing to answer whatever questions I can pertaining to the case without releasing sensitive info that could alter the outcome.

First piece of info I can offer is the topic discussed in news links regarding an "item" found directly near their home that had forensic evidence linking Alex to Lizzy and her disappearance was a knife covered in Lizzy's and Alex' blood. Her skirt was also discovered buried near the home on the property of a church, with forensic evidence linking Alex to it.

There is a process on the main page to become a verified insider so we can discuss. Doesn’t take to long. Can you do that please so we can discuss your info. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMD