GUILTY IN - Ryan Martin, 29, murdered in suspect Talmadge Jasper's home, Lafayette, 23 May 2019

I’d be interested to know if there were any drugs in RM’s body. Does anyone have any info about toxicology being done on RM?
And what about TJ? Were there drugs found on him/was he high?
If no drugs were found in the apartment, on RM or in his vehicle, the drug aspect IMO has nothing to do with TJ murdering RM.
I will standby what I said previously...TJ’s motive is jealousy.
MOO

MOO many, many people use drugs in the USA and don't do this. Being impaired not a valid defense in my opinion, I don't know about law.

MOO many, many people use drugs in the USA and don't do this. Being impaired not a valid defense in my opinion, I don't know about law.
No, that’s not at all what I was implying.
It seems like people are bringing up RM’s past, which includes drugs, correct? If there was a possible drug deal occurring in TJ’s apartment between he & RM, there would be evidence of drugs, one would think.
MOO

Did SR meet RM through TJ while she and TJ were dating?

I agree, I think it's weird to report someone missing if they're a little late coming home from work.

I think there's more to this (we've not been privy to) that might help pull it all together into something that makes sense. o_O
SR telling police her boyfriend RM, #1 did not come home from work, #2 isn't answering his phone, #3 and another man (who she has a restraining order against) just drove into her garage , #4 in her boyfriend's car and #5 tried to enter RM and SR's home. #6 I'm quite sure SR did not make a 911 call, saying her "home was being broken into, and while I have you on the phone I'd like to file a missing persons report." Didn't happen, IMO
It doesn't seem odd at all that police would ask, "Where is your boyfriend, RM?"
Please give the responding officers credit for asking the right questions and realizing they needed to investigate further.

No, that’s not at all what I was implying.
It seems like people are bringing up RM’s past, which includes drugs, correct? If there was a possible drug deal occurring in TJ’s apartment between he & RM, there would be evidence of drugs, one would think.
MOO

I agree with you MOO the motive will be jealousy.

SR telling police her boyfriend RM, #1 did not come home from work, #2 isn't answering his phone, #3 and another man (who she has a restraining order against) just drove into her garage , #4 in her boyfriend's car and #5 tried to enter RM and SR's home. #6 I'm quite sure SR did not make a 911 call, saying her "home was being broken into, and while I have you on the phone I'd like to file a missing persons report." Didn't happen, IMO
It doesn't seem odd at all that police would ask, "Where is your boyfriend, RM?"
Please give the responding officers credit for asking the right questions and realizing they needed to investigate further.

According to court files (re - My Case) RM violated the terms of his one year parole involving his most recent DUI originating last Sept. He’d been approved for a Specialized Driving Permit, presumably to go back and forth to work but that was revoked just in April due to the violation.

So if RM was driving he was doing so illegally. But that would seem rather ridiculously brazen given he’d put up a cash bond, the reason he was not already in jail after the warrant for his arrest was issued due to a prior non-appearance in court regarding the parole violation. RMs next court appearance was May 28th, just days before his murder, the State intended to petition the Court for his parole to be revoked and had that occurred, if they were successful, RM would then spend the remainder of his sentence in jail (six months).

So my question would be who did SR think was driving RMs vehicle, given it shouldn’t have been him. Who knew what, we don’t know. But if TJ knew of RM’s legal troubles, I can’t see jealousy being a motive because after May 28th there was a good chance RM would be out of the picture for a few months.

Sometimes people who are facing jail time offer incriminating information in exchange for their freedom. We don’t know if that might’ve been involved here but if it was, definitely more than one person has lost their life by snitching on activities of local gang members. I think there’s more to this case than meets the eye. JMO

According to court files (re - My Case) RM violated the terms of his one year parole involving his most recent DUI originating last Sept. He’d been approved for a Specialized Driving Permit, presumably to go back and forth to work but that was revoked just in April due to the violation.
Good deduction based on info available!
So if RM was driving he was doing so illegally. But that would seem rather ridiculously brazen given he’d put up a cash bond, the reason he was not already in jail after the warrant for his arrest was issued due to a prior non-appearance in court regarding the parole violation. RMs next court appearance was May 28th, just days before his murder, the State intended to petition the Court for his parole to be revoked and had that occurred, if they were successful, RM would then spend the remainder of his sentence in jail (six months).
Habitual traffic offenders, unfortunately mess up. Driving is a privilege granted by the state, NOT A RIGHT. Not a week goes by that I have to explain that to an individual. Yeppers, eventually the judge gets irritated, patience blown... and says, "Time for you to spend some time in jail, then maybe you will realize just how serious I am."

So my question would be who did SR think was driving RMs vehicle, given it shouldn’t have been him. Who knew what, we don’t know. But if TJ knew of RM’s legal troubles, I can’t see jealousy being a motive because after May 28th there was a good chance RM would be out of the picture for a few months.
Perhaps the essence of "words at work"?
Sometimes people who are facing jail time offer incriminating information in exchange for their freedom. We don’t know if that might’ve been involved here but if it was, definitely more than one person has lost their life by snitching on activities of local gang members. I think there’s more to this case than meets the eye. JMO
I never even thought along those lines. Might as well present different theories early on....because detectives don't ever want to be accused of "tunnel vision." Personally, If I had info on "gang members" .... would I risk my life for a suspended license and weekends in jail?....Nah.
MISTYW... You brought up a lot to think about! So enjoyed reading your post...intelligent and thought provoking. I just put a few thoughts in red above.

It wouldn’t be surprising that somebody saw RM “enter” TJs apartment. But a neighbour would be unable to testify they actually saw RM in TJs apartment but a possible explanation is the wording in the media report differs from the affidavit. It also appears the person who apparently saw RM in TJs apartment personally knew RM, otherwise the best they could testify to is his physical appearance being similar to that of RM.

Otherwise I’m curious how RM came to be known by TJs girlfriend and his neighbours especially if RM wasn’t in TJs life prior to his ex-girlfriend moving in with him. It’s not as if Lafayette was a small town of a few hundred people where everybody knows everybody but in this case everyone associated does appear to know RM.
How do you guys see the affidavit? I couldn't find in any of the reports it said someone seen RM in TJ apt.

How do you guys see the affidavit? I couldn't find in any of the reports it said someone seen RM in TJ apt.

No, I’ve not noticed the affidavit linked to any media report. Only this -

“While police investigated a missing persons report on Martin, they learned that he had been seen in Jasper's apartment earlier that day, according to the affidavit.”
Lafayette man killed, found in suspect's apartment

No, I’ve not noticed the affidavit linked to any media report. Only this -

“While police investigated a missing persons report on Martin, they learned that he had been seen in Jasper's apartment earlier that day, according to the affidavit.”
Lafayette man killed, found in suspect's apartment

I searched for the affidavit of probable cause and cannot find it. At the 5/30 hearing, a "Rule 9" confidentiality motion was granted.
I researched Rule 9 and the rule keeps much of the case information non-public. The Journal Courier reporter apparently got to see the affidavit of probable cause before Rule 9 was granted 5/30.
MOO unfortunately, I think the details of the case won't be known till the trial.

Last edited:
I searched for the affidavit of probable cause and cannot find it. At the 5/30 hearing, a "Rule 9" confidentiality motion was granted.
I researched Rule 9 and the rule keeps much of the case information non-public. The Journal Courier reporter apparently got to see the affidavit of probable cause before Rule 9 was granted 5/30.
MOO unfortunately, I think the details of the case won't be known till the trial.

Adding: Rule 9 keeps things like attorney addresses private as well as protective orders, details of other ongoing investigations and details of MH cases.
There will probably be a plea deal in my opinion.

I’d be interested to know if there were any drugs in RM’s body. Does anyone have any info about toxicology being done on RM?
And what about TJ? Were there drugs found on him/was he high?
If no drugs were found in the apartment, on RM or in his vehicle, the drug aspect IMO has nothing to do with TJ murdering RM.
I will standby what I said previously...TJ’s motive is jealousy.
MOO

I agree re: the motive being insane jealousy. My theory as to why two "non-friends" would go to one's apartment together and ask that others not be present would be under the pretense of drugs. Even if it were just weed, there would still be a veil of secrecy around the transaction (it's illegal there, still?). Even if it weren't to buy/sell, but just to offer a quick session as a 'thanks for the ride' ... It could be different there, but around here, most young people smoke and it held/holds a strange allegiance in which enemies become friends and sins are forgiven

Welcome ERIBEAR99 yet I am so sorry for the circumstances that brought you here. Ryan was a victim of a selfish and conscienceless individual. I can't even to imagine what his family must be going through right now. Please continue to post in the honor of your friend.
@ERIBEAR99
Where did you read that TJ was abusive to SR? I have been following this case and I never seen that it said anything about that. When I looked RM up on mycase it looked like he has been in lots of trouble and going to jail on May 24th and he had a battery and strangulation charge along with other charges. Its terrible that so many lives this has effected. It will be interesting to see what all the details are. There are many odd twist in this story. To me it sounds like you must be a friend of RM sorry for your loss.

@ERIBEAR99
Where did you read that TJ was abusive to SR? I have been following this case and I never seen that it said anything about that. When I looked RM up on mycase it looked like he has been in lots of trouble and going to jail on May 24th and he had a battery and strangulation charge along with other charges. Its terrible that so many lives this has effected. It will be interesting to see what all the details are. There are many odd twist in this story. To me it sounds like you must be a friend of RM sorry for your loss.

MOO you won't see many details, the case has been granted rule 9 confidentiality.
Typical reasons Rule 9 is granted: protective orders, ongoing investigations that would be compromised, mental health issues in the case. MOO there will be a plea deal in this case.

MOO you won't see many details, the case has been granted rule 9 confidentiality.
Typical reasons Rule 9 is granted: protective orders, ongoing investigations that would be compromised, mental health issues in the case. MOO there will be a plea deal in this case.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing, Boxer.

@ERIBEAR99

MOO sounds like TJ murdered in cold blood. TJ had a protective order in place preventing him from contacting SR, but also he worked with RM.

TJ talked to police about RM and made up a story about RM leaving that morning after getting a call or text, while RM in was lying his closet.
Had SR not seen TJ that morning in RMs house and called 911, the missing person report she might have filed later that day might have taken days to get rolling, especially if TJ returned RMs car to his garage. That would have given TJ ample time to clean up. Risky cover up, but possibly successful.

Last edited:
MOO sounds like TJ murdered in cold blood. TJ had a protective order in place preventing him from contacting SR, but also he worked with RM.

TJ talked to police about RM and made up a story about RM leaving that morning after getting a call or text, while RM in was lying his closet.
Had SR not seen TJ that morning in RMs house and called 911, the missing person report she might have filed later that day might have taken days to get rolling, especially if TJ returned RMs car to his garage. That would have given TJ ample time to clean up. Risky cover up, but possibly successful.

What has me baffled is all the unanswered questions including why would RM put up bond in order to prevent incarceration over the warrant regarding his parole violation, as he awaited trial - but then blatantly continue driving knowing his licence was revoked? That doesn’t make sense to me therefore I wonder who was driving RM back and forth to work. If it was TJ, why would he drive RMs car to RMs garage if dropping him off and picking him up was the typical routine. I’m not saying TJ is innocent, just that I don’t think events were quite as simplistic as it may seem.

What has me baffled is all the unanswered questions including why would RM put up bond in order to prevent incarceration over the warrant regarding his parole violation, as he awaited trial - but then blatantly continue driving knowing his licence was revoked? That doesn’t make sense to me therefore I wonder who was driving RM back and forth to work. If it was TJ, why would he drive RMs car to RMs garage if dropping him off and picking him up was the typical routine. I’m not saying TJ is innocent, just that I don’t think events were quite as simplistic as it may seem.

MOO RM would just continue driving with a suspended license. Agree its a question, about why they were together. MOO I don't think going to work together was a routine, but I don't know. To me the logical answer of why they were together that morning, is the social network of drugs.

Last edited:
Did they ever say what the time of dealth was? I seen in one of the articles that they didn't get the warrent until 8:30pm. Why wait so long?

@MistyWaters it seems like things get stranger and stranger. IMO it doesn't seem to all add up. Maybe RM didn't tell SR that him and TJ were friends because she might get mad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back