Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know the exact wording of the text she sent her parents? I ask because (at least in my experience) a text that says “I just landed” will convey something quite different from one that says “I made it home” even though you could reasonably send both from the airport. YMMV but to me the first says the trip is not complete and the second says I’m safe for now and you may cease worrying.

I guess I’m just trying to figure out what she was trying to convey to her family. I’m hanging on the feeble hope it will give me some insight in to her mindset.

Jmo.

All are different but I would insist on a text upon landing safely and one when the child is inside their own home safe from a late night/early morning cab ride. My children are in their 30s, I am not overprotective and yet I still do this and would expect it with a flight from LAX to Salt Lake City and a late night Lyft, Uber, cab or any type of ride, even with a friend. Not knocking any of these companies and I use them but we do hear fairly frequently about one incident or another.

So I too wonder about the actual text, she was not home yet, it was still a late/very early hour and she was a young girl alone.

This lends me to believing more of course is known than we know. I mean this in no way at her parents, I am just saying that perhaps she knew the Lyft driver from previously and said so to her folks so they assumed she was safe at that point or for some other reason? Maybe they knew she would head out with a friend for a drink or two or some such and so again, no reason to wait up or worry? I mean if my child told me I am not going straight home so I can't call and tell you I am home until much later well then I would have to accept that and just advise to stay safe. Then I would probably no longer worry until I had reason to, like they did, perhaps when tests were missed or some such, because they are adults.

Just thoughts. Jmo.

snipped and bolded
It’s possible that they are being so secretive, because they either know something we don’t, or want to protect Kenzie’s privacy.

This.
I think it explains why her parents haven't come to the forefront, and why some of the questions asked haven't been addressed. As you know, LE is usually quiet and know far more then they lead on.
I think it will only be a matter of time when everything comes to light. MOO

yeah they do. I know a few after hours clubs downtown from when I lived in Utah but no booze. Let’s say it is the strip club. So what would she be doing there after 1am? Picking up her paycheck? Odd to go there (or anywhere) first instead of home after a flight. JMO

On the topic of strip clubs serving alcohol, in many places (including Las Vegas, believe it or not), it is illegal for clubs that allow full nudity to serve alcohol. You can Google it. (The search string I used was "strip clubs do not serve alcohol", but I kinda knew it was the case already from visits to Vegas, living in a different state where this is the case, and just driving along highways around the country, reading billboards and saying "Well, huh!" ;) )

The rationale I have heard for this not-uncommon law is that having sober customers allows the strippers to perform with far less risk of physical harassment or assault from patrons who have overindulged.

It appears the everything was above board, and the Lyft ride went off without a hitch.

Kenzie was dropped off, and the trip showed no irregularities. The driver then continued picking up and dropping off passengers, immediately afterwards.

Lyft has cooperated fully, and the driver is not a suspect.

As for the ransom thing, that is incredibly rare in the United States. I think it is highly unlikely, considering the few facts that we do have here.

It’s possible that they are being so secretive because they either know something we don’t, or want to protect Kenzie’s privacy.

It is weird though.

Is there a link stating that the driver is not a suspect? In those words? I may have missed it.

Is there a link stating that the driver is not a suspect? In those words? I may have missed it.

I may have missed that as well. I thought they had just confirmed that the driver was cooperating with investigators and picking up other riders "immediately" after ML. The timeline on that would be interesting to see.

No you’re right. I just re-read the press release and it says this:

SLCPD has been conducting a missing persons investigation and have spoken with both Lyft as well as the Lyft driver. Lyft and their driver have cooperated with the investigation.

I’m at about 80% voluntary, and 20% foul play.

Right now, law enforcement should have evidence of something nefarious happening, if it exists.

At the very least, they should have suspicions that elevate the seriousness of this whole thing.

Alarm bells should be going off, and their words and actions should reflect this (I’d expect a press conference).

I’m not seeing that.

I still think they have evidence to the contrary, and it’s just a matter of figuring out where she is.

If not, they’ve completely dropped the ball.
Remember, though- there were no alarms ringing, like, at all in the Kelsey Berreth and Cheryl Coker cases, either. If Kelsey's family hadn't persisted, who knows if LE would still believe she left on her own? Remember in her thread, where PF's sister was on there for a bit, slandering Kelsey.

With Cheryl- that is a mess in itself. Poor lady, they named her husband as a suspect, but so far, no body, and he's still a free man.

I want to believe she's voluntarily gone, but I wonder if she would leave her cat alone all that time. Did she make arrangements with someone to take care of the cat while she was gone? Although lately, we have seen a couple of cases were beloved pets were left behind, so who knows anymore.

Puzzling, as she has a wedding to go to this weekend, from what I read. I can't imagine her going missing during this time period- she'd know that family and friends would worry if she didn't show up at the wedding.

I wonder why she got off at a different destination, rather than going home.

Hoping and praying that her family and friends get answers soon, and that she is ok! I really hope you are right, @MassGuy!

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the driver is not a named suspect in ML's disappearance.

In fact, there are no named suspects at this time.

LE hasn't even said there's evidence that a crime has been committed.

JMO.

Remember, though- there were no alarms ringing, like, at all in the Kelsey Berreth and Cheryl Coker cases, either. If Kelsey's family hadn't persisted, who knows if LE would still believe she left on her own? Remember in her thread, where PF's sister was on there for a bit, slandering Kelsey.

With Cheryl- that is a mess in itself. Poor lady, they named her husband as a suspect, but so far, no body, and he's still a free man.

I want to believe she's voluntarily gone, but I wonder if she would leave her cat alone all that time. Did she make arrangements with someone to take care of the cat while she was gone? Although lately, we have seen a couple of cases were beloved pets were left behind, so who knows anymore.

Puzzling, as she has a wedding to go to this weekend, from what I read. I can't imagine her going missing during this time period- she'd know that family and friends would worry if she didn't show up at the wedding.

Hoping and praying that her family and friends get answers soon, and that she is ok! I really hope you are right, @MassGuy!

That’s a valid point, and one to consider here.

Still though, Kelsey’s mom was sounding alarm bells, and she was front and center.

If we had that here, it would change things.

That’s flimsy evidence upon which to say “I don’t think this is foul play,” but the sum of everything is making me think that way.

Despite the fact that logic says that this whole thing is suspicious.

Just an observation but if one for instance goes missing voluntarily and others or LE are not sharing things to protect their privacy, it is a sure way to have it invaded and more known than you ever wanted because once it hits news that you are missing, one can see in each case what happens--SM is sleuthed, questions are asked, the person is looked into in every aspect of their lives that can be found, by even strangers who care and hope the person is found safe.

I am not convinced one way or the other whether this was voluntary or involuntary. I do note the seeming lack of urgency with LE but again they could be hard at it behind the scenes and not wanting to alert who they suspect or what they are looking into. Very little has come from LE, most has come from elsewhere, imo.

All jmo. Have a good night all. Hopefully tomorrow will bring good news. Praying for Kenzie and her family.

It doesn't sound to me like she is voluntarily missing. She left her cat home, missed her exams, missed a wedding, and hasn't made contact with anyone at all? And it's been a week?

That’s a valid point, and one to consider here.

Still though, Kelsey’s mom was sounding alarm bells, and she was front and center.

If we had that here, it would change things.

That’s flimsy evidence upon which to say “I don’t think this is foul play,” but the sum of everything is making me think that way.

Despite the fact that logic says that this whole thing is suspicious.

If she is ok, I just wish that she would contact a loved one and a friend, so they don't have to worry.

I just get nervous, after seeing some cases on here where foul play was ruled out right away, saying the person took off on their own. Only to have a month or two go by, then they find evidence to the contrary. PF had a good story going, including having KK bring Kelsey's phone to Iowa was it? So, at first, it looked like she was going to visit her ill grandmother.

I wish we had the same amount of family presence involved in getting the ball rolling. Or maybe they are behind the scenes with LE, and we're just not hearing about it in the media.

It would be great if she is alive and ok, and needed a break. Perhaps there's pressure on her to finish school, and it overwhelmed her- the grandmother's funeral, school, work, a wedding this weekend. Like a runaway bride story- I'll take that over foul play any day!

Last edited:
It doesn't sound to me like she is voluntarily missing. She left her cat home, missed her exams, missed a wedding, and hasn't made contact with anyone at all? And it's been a week?

Yep. Nice to see you and MsBetsy.

And she got dropped off God knows where (LE knows moo) in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

That’s all weird, but could be explained by factors that we aren’t aware of.

She’s a college student, and we don’t know her mental state.

I’ve followed a couple cases where people around that age have disappeared, only to resurface after a period of time.

I just don’t think we have enough at this point, as the unknowns are too great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa