NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
This case seems so quiet. I have faith a lot of great police work is happening behind the scenes. I just keep wondering:

1) Was Carolyn dating anyone?
2) Do they have her phone? Who did she last text? Call? FaceTime?
3) How did she spend her last weekend?
4) Any family, coworkers or friends know of any troubling worries she might have had about anyone?
5) What type of evidence was found at scene?

I know police are working thru all of this but it is taking a bit longer than I had hoped. Now I'm starting to consider it was a stranger. If it was someone closer it seems like there would have been an arrest. MOO. Staying hopeful overall for an arrest soon.
Good post -- good questions! If she did have a best friend in whom she confided, has LE spoken with her/him? Was she worried about an old boy-/girl-friend? Someone she spurned? An envious co-worker? Was there someone in the complex that gave her "the creeps"?

In browsing through the complex's site, I did not notice any reference to what type of security they have. Are there any type of "security" employees who may drive around observing or "patrolling" the grounds?

Other than probably having cameras in the parking and pool areas, are there cameras within the outside of each buildings/on the floors?
These apts have been there a while, IIRC, so they very well may not be equipped with a total camera system. If they are equipped with a good system, then LE should have, IMO, at least some image of the person who went into her apt. Maybe that's where the investigation is -- trying to match a face or a company shirt or working with the apt management to see if the person lives or lived there. If so, it could take quite a while to find the perpetrator. SMH. Or maybe they are closing in on someone.

How often did she go home for lunch? If she went home every day, it would make sense here if it were a stranger or someone who knew her. If she rarely went home for lunch, who knew she was going home for lunch? Did she tell the folks at work? Was this a totally random attack -- did an apt. workman see her, follow her to her apt., and force her inside? Did someone see her in the Engine parking lot and follow her home? Arrrgghh.
MSM has stated is was uncommon for her to go home for work. Her coworkers knew it was out of the norm for her to take her break out of the office, and when she did not come back after her break, it was her coworkers who called the police to do a welfare check.

MSM has stated is was uncommon for her to go home for work. Her coworkers knew it was out of the norm for her to take her break out of the office, and when she did not come back after her break, it was her coworkers who called the police to do a welfare check.
Thanks for the post, and

Welcome to Websleuths,
Vanillacone !!

This is the MCPO we're talking about. Don't expect this to be solved soon if at all. They're probably sitting in New Brunswick on their fat rumps waiting for someone to call in with a tip. This is the same inept bunch that took 20+ years to bring the obviously guilty Michelle Lodzinsky to justice and who still haven't charged Melanie McGuire's step-father who obviously played a role in (at least) the disposal of Bill's remains

The same inept bunch from 1991? Smh.

Just pulled into my parking lot and saw three police cars in front of a building not too far from my building and Carolyn’s building. There is a person standing there with the police and one of the officers was on his radio. Not sure if it’s related to Carolyn or not. They may just be extra vigilant checking this person’s ID to see if he belongs here.
Whatever it is, I think it would make me sleep a bit better to know that they are having a presence there, and they can show up any time. Others with intentions good or bad, will notice it, too.

Since there have been 3 homicides in 100 years in Plainsboro Twp they have no experience in conducting an investigation. I didn’t know about the incompetence of Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office. They did say they had involved Federal investigators. Perhaps they will do the work. I would have thought this would have been an easy one. I would love to see Carolyn’s case solved soon.
If the locals need support, they can always call on the state's LE and the FBI does send people in if asked. Always a welcome sight to family and friends of the victim and to the citizens of the area.

Checking in. I can't believe we are 16 days past and not much to go on or any news really.

I was thinking of something that I do not think we have discussed which is cause of death and DNA, etc. I have not went there previously mostly in any detail thinking it would be solved right away and out of respect for the victim/family, I just figured we would have an arrest by now too.

I assume it was not a gun because neighbors would have heard it. To me, that leaves the most likely as beaten, strangling or possibly stabbing. In all of these possibilities, it involves pretty close contact and one would think they would have DNA? Even under her fingernails? I also tend to possibly rule out stabbing as one would think someone would have seen someone with blood on him leaving unless the person lived close by perhaps/same building, etc.

I guess the perp may not be in the DNA database which may mean it is personal and was an argument or break-up or something gone wrong, or perhaps young and a first time offense. Or they may not have results back yet.

Any thoughts?

Just trying to keep the case alive here when we have no news or much in the way of facts.

Jmo.

Hello, long time lurker, finally coming out of hiding;)
I don’t necessarily have anything specific or brilliant to add but I do agree that it is important to keep this thread alive.
I went to school in that area and live the next state over so I am fairly familiar and will search local news sources that may have not been posted yet.
I agree in terms of your thoughts on COD being strangling or some sort of physical altercation for the reasons you noted chili.

If she came home for lunch I would think that she was meeting someone who could only meet during business hours (such as maintenance men, big box delivery, or the contractors mentioned). In that vein, I know if I am waiting for a package with an expensive item I will sometimes run home so it doesn’t get snatched (I live in the city, unfortunately happens often here), in that case I wouldn’t suspect the delivery person rather someone who happened to see her come home.
I don’t rule out a partner, but what could be a reason they had to meet her at home during the day...that is what I am having a hard time wrapping my head around.

I do have to say this whole case seems very strangely quiet. I wonder if part of it is simply that the last couple of month have seemed extra busy in terms of young people missing and there have been competing national headlines?

This young woman had earned so much and still had so many more years ahead of her, I truly hope that this is being followed up on thoroughly.
Wow! Sorry this became so long...will condense next time o_O

Thanks for bearing with me in my first post, perhaps I will start be a little less shy...we will see lol, I definitely am learning quite a bit, very amazing community here!
Also, thank you to the locals! Your insight is appreciated and please stay safe.

Posted on: June 21, 2019
Update From the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office
Document

The Township of Plainsboro wanted to provide the following update -

The investigation into the homicide of Carolyn Byington is active and continuing. Detectives with the Plainsboro Police Department and the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office have dedicated the resources necessary to pursue all leads, and are using all available investigative and forensic techniques to solve this murder. In this regard, we are also working directly with federal law enforcement agencies. “We continue to offer our sincere condolences to the friends and family of Ms. Byington”, said Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey.

Hi again, Just found the direct link on the update from the Plainsboro police website. As someone said earlier, federal investigators are involved. I did see it posted earlier in the thread, this is just the direct link rather than their FB page:

Plainsboro, NJ

I don’t necessarily have anything specific or brilliant to add but I do agree that it is important to keep this thread alive.
I went to school in that area and live the next state over so I am fairly familiar and will search local news sources that may have not been posted yet.
I agree in terms of your thoughts on COD being strangling or some sort of physical altercation for the reasons you noted chili.

If she came home for lunch I would think that she was meeting someone who could only meet during business hours (such as maintenance men, big box delivery, or the contractors mentioned). In that vein, I know if I am waiting for a package with an expensive item I will sometimes run home so it doesn’t get snatched (I live in the city, unfortunately happens often here), in that case I wouldn’t suspect the delivery person rather someone who happened to see her come home.
I don’t rule out a partner, but what could be a reason they had to meet her at home during the day...that is what I am having a hard time wrapping my head around.

I do have to say this whole case seems very strangely quiet. I wonder if part of it is simply that the last couple of month have seemed extra busy in terms of young people missing and there have been competing national headlines?

This young woman had earned so much and still had so many more years ahead of her, I truly hope that this is being followed up on thoroughly.

Thanks for bearing with me in my first post, perhaps I will start be a little less shy...we will see lol, I definitely am learning quite a bit, very amazing community here!
Also, thank you to the locals! Your insight is appreciated and please stay safe.
Welcome to Websleuths, and thank you for your informative post. You bring up some good points, definitely.

Checking in. I can't believe we are 16 days past and not much to go on or any news really.

I was thinking of something that I do not think we have discussed which is cause of death and DNA, etc. I have not went there previously mostly in any detail thinking it would be solved right away and out of respect for the victim/family, I just figured we would have an arrest by now too.

I assume it was not a gun because neighbors would have heard it. To me, that leaves the most likely as beaten, strangling or possibly stabbing. In all of these possibilities, it involves pretty close contact and one would think they would have DNA? Even under her fingernails? I also tend to possibly rule out stabbing as one would think someone would have seen someone with blood on him leaving unless the person lived close by perhaps/same building, etc.

I guess the perp may not be in the DNA database which may mean it is personal and was an argument or break-up or something gone wrong, or perhaps young and a first time offense. Or they may not have results back yet.

Any thoughts?

Just trying to keep the case alive here when we have no news or much in the way of facts.

Jmo.

I think I mentioned in one of my first posts I saw several police officers digging through a dumpster the day after Carolyn was murdered. I also saw several agents( not sure who they were , all wearing black shirts and tan pants) walking the grounds toward the entrance of the development. My thoughts were they were looking for a weapon.

Last edited:

Welcome! I agree with everything you said.

My thoughts on a partner or someone she was seeing, dating, etc. are that the person possibly may have stayed over the night before with the reason for going home for lunch either to ensure the person had left or because she wanted to see the person (perhaps he had to leave before she finished work).

Yes, I do not know why it is so quiet. I guess some cases just are and maybe some of it is due also to how quiet LE is? There is little to report so the interest has not ramped up? I don't know.

I see your other post showing the feds are involved which is definitely good.

I too have considered delivery men--now that you mention it the remark about furniture being moved I guess could have been due to furniture being delivered quite possibly, although I wonder why neighbors would not have noticed a delivery truck? Maybe cable or wifi installation, an issue with the plumbing, etc.

The few news accounts there have been have varied slightly but one used the term "arguing". That very word has me leaning more towards someone she personally knew, as does the fact it was at her apartment and in broad daylight and something brought her home. I admit that is nothing but a guess though.

I too appreciate the locals with knowledge here and it sounds as if you are familiar with the neighborhood as well, that will be helpful.

All jmo.

I think I mentioned in one of my first posts I saw several police officers digging through a dumpster the day after Carolyn was murdered. I also saw several agents( not sure who they were , all wearing black shirts and tan pants) walking the grounds toward the entrance of the development. My thoughts were they were looking for a weapon.

That is interesting, if it is a weapon they were looking for, I wonder if they had any success. It is great that shows one or more agencies are actively involved, and not just consulting.

Jmo.

Posted on: June 21, 2019
Update From the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office
Document

The Township of Plainsboro wanted to provide the following update -

The investigation into the homicide of Carolyn Byington is active and continuing. Detectives with the Plainsboro Police Department and the Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office have dedicated the resources necessary to pursue all leads, and are using all available investigative and forensic techniques to solve this murder. In this regard, we are also working directly with federal law enforcement agencies. “We continue to offer our sincere condolences to the friends and family of Ms. Byington”, said Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey.

Hi again, Just found the direct link on the update from the Plainsboro police website. As someone said earlier, federal investigators are involved. I did see it posted earlier in the thread, this is just the direct link rather than their FB page:

Plainsboro, NJ

I just noticed on rereading this the mention of forensic techniques which is probably standard language I suppose but it does make me hopeful they have evidence that will lead to someone. I just think with an up close incident as it seems this would have been, there has to be some DNA, etc. The noises heard probably indicates she fought back and it is a small apartment as well, if I recall I think it was six hundred and some square feet for a one bedroom. It still just stumps me that in that small of a space, it had to be obvious to at least any neighbors right in her building that something major was occurring. It has been awhile but I have lived in a seven hundred foot apartment in the past and one is not going to be in a physical altercation without probably striking every piece of furniture and wall, cabinet, etc.

Jmo.

Welcome! I agree with everything you said.

My thoughts on a partner or someone she was seeing, dating, etc. are that the person possibly may have stayed over the night before with the reason for going home for lunch either to ensure the person had left or because she wanted to see the person (perhaps he had to leave before she finished work).

Yes, I do not know why it is so quiet. I guess some cases just are and maybe some of it is due also to how quiet LE is? There is little to report so the interest has not ramped up? I don't know.

I see your other post showing the feds are involved which is definitely good.

I too have considered delivery men--now that you mention it the remark about furniture being moved I guess could have been due to furniture being delivered quite possibly, although I wonder why neighbors would not have noticed a delivery truck? Maybe cable or wifi installation, an issue with the plumbing, etc.

The few news accounts there have been have varied slightly but one used the term "arguing". That very word has me leaning more towards someone she personally knew, as does the fact it was at her apartment and in broad daylight and something brought her home. I admit that is nothing but a guess though.

I too appreciate the locals with knowledge here and it sounds as if you are familiar with the neighborhood as well, that will be helpful.

All jmo.

If she went home for a delivery/utility appointment type scenario, I would imagine she would give her boss a heads up that she had an appointment scheduled since IME those types of appointments are never quick or on time. Although I don't think it's been stated whether or not she mentioned anything to her boss or coworkers, right? So it's still a possibility. But I tend to lean towards someone she knew.

Just because LE is quiet doesn't mean they are sitting on their fat lazy behinds or whatever. It could be because they are gathering information/evidence before making an arrest and they don't want to tip anyone off. In the cases I've followed where LE is pretty quiet in the beginning of what seems like it should be a no brainer, it's because they are doing their jobs and building their case, not because they are being lazy. Sure, it happens, but I don't think it's the norm for LE to just lay back and wait for a civilian to give them evidence. JMO

If she went home for a delivery/utility appointment type scenario, I would imagine she would give her boss a heads up that she had an appointment scheduled since IME those types of appointments are never quick or on time. Although I don't think it's been stated whether or not she mentioned anything to her boss or coworkers, right? So it's still a possibility. But I tend to lean towards someone she knew.

Just because LE is quiet doesn't mean they are sitting on their fat lazy behinds or whatever. It could be because they are gathering information/evidence before making an arrest and they don't want to tip anyone off. In the cases I've followed where LE is pretty quiet in the beginning of what seems like it should be a no brainer, it's because they are doing their jobs and building their case, not because they are being lazy. Sure, it happens, but I don't think it's the norm for LE to just lay back and wait for a civilian to give them evidence. JMO
Definitely agree a delivery would have been noticed by neighbors and /or known by coworkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes