Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can only go through calls and texts since her phone is turned off. They have limitations on what they can and cannot access until they get warrants to begin searching things like her cloud data, SM apps, etc.

If LE went through her call and text history and didn't come up with anything that could be a good indicator that ML communicated this meetup through an app or SM which may suggest not someone in her extended circle of friends. I am hopeful once the warrants come in this will lead them in the right direction.

If I'm not mistaken, cell phones will ping on the towers even if turned off. You have to remove the battery to stop the pings.

This new tidbit about the phone dropping off immediately just screams danger to me.

Agree...maybe the other person got mad at her and completely destroyed her phone? IDK just MOO

A couple of thoughts this morning.

1. I initially thought that it was odd that her parents had not gone to SLC. Now, I don't really think it's odd. Maybe LE told them to stay as there was really nothing they could do. There are no searches to be present at or help organize because no one even knows where to search. It is clear to me (maybe not others), but wherever ML is, she's not in the park. She is lone gone from there so where do you start? What's the point of her parents being there? What are they going to do? I'm not second guessing this anymore.

2. Occam's Razor. What is the most simple explanation of what happened without all the sensationalism of whatever type of relationships ML preferred? To me, a date went bad. Probably very bad. The last person to see ML was the driver of the other vehicle. He/She has not come forward therefore that puts that person front and center in the disappearance. That person is most likely involved and responsible. The why's and the how's will hopefully be answered somehow at sometime I hope but right now we are going to have to wait.

3. ML's phone and social media information will lead LE where they need to go. Until LE has all that information, they won't be knocking on doors or doing searches. They desperately need the digital and cellular information to move forward unless friends and/or family know more than what is being reported and are helping LE fill in the gaps. BTW, I believe they do know more about ML's behaviour and relationships, quirks, etc.

At his juncture, it's all about social media and cell phone info unless a really good tip comes rolling in.

MOO

My apologies if this has already been mentioned upthread or downthread. I acknowledge that MSM reports indicate the rideshare driver has been cooperating and that LE reportedly have cleared the rideshare driver. Could it be that statement is strategic or that LE too quickly cleared the rideshare driver?

Along the Occam’s Razor line @Tealgrove mentioned , do we for sure know there ever was another driver/car at the park, especially if s/he never came forward, no surveillance has yet tmk been revealed of said dropoff of car? Has the rideshare driver been polygraphed?

What I’m wondering, given the late (or early) hour and relatively uncrowded time/location of the ride, the fact that a very attractive, young woman was traveling alone and may have seemed or been upset or vulnerable or distracted or exhausted given her grandma’s death and the travel, KL’s phone battery could have been dead which then provided a great opportunity for something bad to happen.

Could the rideshare driver have pretended to stop because of car trouble, shift change, family emergency, or just quickly subdued her somewhere and stuffed her body in the trunk with her luggage and powered down her phone. The driver might not have had any other customers that night with luggage or if anyone had luggage, the driver could have apologized that his trunk lock was broken or some other excuse.

The rideshare driver could have continued to take customers for several hours, stashed or dumped KL somewhere else in between or at the end of his or her rideshare shift, then later comeforward appearing cooperative, have long since had the car detailed and KL and her things are either alive and captive hidden somewhere or no longer alive and concealed or disposed of in someway somewhere.

If I'm not mistaken, cell phones will ping on the towers even if turned off. You have to remove the battery to stop the pings.

This new tidbit about the phone dropping off immediately just screams danger to me.

I can tell you with 100% certainty when a phone is powered off, it will not ping off a tower.

Who would have been up to bug her at 3am? Another boyfriend? Her parents? Presumably she would have turned the phone back on that day, or after the date was over.
Of course...I was responding to someone’s post who stated possible reasons for turning off her cell. I gave a reason why I would turn off my cell. And, many young people are up at 3a.m. Of course it would be back on now!! Wow...please read in context. Thanks

Last edited:
Right let’s see this from the Lyft drivers perspective. They claim she got out of the car and walked towards the other vehicle without any apprehension and didn’t seem distressed. So, she gets out of your car and you DONT drive off immediately, if you can see her make it to the other car then 1) You stay put for a moment, maybe concerned and just needing to know she’s ok. Or 2) The other car is close! Close enough to witness this act as you’re beginning to drive away. My point is either one or two means the driver likely gotta bloody good look at that car! And if this girl made a non-hesitant bee line to the other car then she too knew the make & model (had she been in this car before) or you’d show trepidation upon approach, hell, maybe she did ‍♀️ But everything I’ve read stated the lyft driver claims she’s ‘relaxed’

Why would a person planning on foul play do so after knowing a lyft driver got a good look at him or his/her vehicle
If the surrounding ‘expensive’ homes are gated then I can see a resident (and friend of hers) needing to come out and pick her up but then, why the lack of cover ‍♀️

I can tell you with 100% certainty when a phone is powered off, it will not ping off a tower.

If it's true that her phone shut off immediately after she got in the car, how would it ping at another location if towers don't work when a phone is off? Unless she turned her phone back on...

The idea that you need to remove a battery to stop a phone from pinging, appears to be a myth.

Once a phone is dead, it no longer communicates.

This is an older article, but as far as I know, nothing has changed.

While cellphone location technologies can quickly find people, the trail effectively ends when a device is out of power.

Communications expert John B. Minor, who is based in Odessa, Texas and who has assisted in suspected murder cases and attempts to locate lost hikers, describes the scenario as a race against time. “If the battery is exhausted, there is no general tracking,” he told FoxNews.com.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/tech/how-tech-tracks-missing-people.amp

I say this with no disrespect intended, but is it possible that ML had a drug habit? I have known people who have and they have sought out drugs in the wee hours. I can easily see someone who is struggling with loss and grief immediately contact their dealer upon landing after a trip. Meeting in parks is incredibly common. I realize that this may not remotely be the case here, but I'd wonder about this possibility with almost anyone who would meet someone in a park at 3:00am. MOO.

My apologies if this has already been mentioned upthread or downthread. I acknowledge that MSM reports indicate the rideshare driver has been cooperating and that LE reportedly have cleared the rideshare driver. Could it be that statement is strategic or that LE too quickly cleared the rideshare driver?

Along the Occam’s Razor line @Tealgrove mentioned , do we for sure know there ever was another driver/car at the park, especially if s/he never came forward, no surveillance has yet tmk been revealed of said dropoff of car? Has the rideshare driver been polygraphed?

What I’m wondering, given the late (or early) hour and relatively uncrowded time/location of the ride, the fact that a very attractive, young woman was traveling alone and may have seemed or been upset or vulnerable or distracted or exhausted given her grandma’s death and the travel, KL’s phone battery could have been dead which then provided a great opportunity for something bad to happen.

Could the rideshare driver have pretended to stop because of car trouble, shift change, family emergency, or just quickly subdued her somewhere and stuffed her body in the trunk with her luggage and powered down her phone. The driver might not have had any other customers that night with luggage or if anyone had luggage, the driver could have apologized that his trunk lock was broken or some other excuse.

The rideshare driver could have continued to take customers for several hours, stashed or dumped KL somewhere else in between or at the end of his or her rideshare shift, then later comeforward appearing cooperative, have long since had the car detailed and KL and her things are either alive and captive hidden somewhere or no longer alive and concealed or disposed of in someway somewhere.

IMO, this is a stretch. If LE has come out and repeatedly said the Lyft driver is cleared and not a suspect, I see no reason to question them.

Right let’s see this from the Lyft drivers perspective. They claim she got out of the car and walked towards the other vehicle without any apprehension and didn’t seem distressed. So, she gets out of your car and you DONT drive off immediately, if you can see her make it to the other car then 1) You stay put for a moment, maybe concerned and just needing to know she’s ok. Or 2) The other car is close! Close enough to witness this act as you’re beginning to drive away. My point is either one or two means the driver likely gotta bloody good look at that car! And if this girl made a non-hesitant bee line to the other car then she too knew the make & model (had she been in this car before) or you’d show trepidation upon approach, hell, maybe she did ‍♀️ But everything I’ve read stated the lyft driver claims she’s ‘relaxed’

Why would a person planning on foul play do so after knowing a lyft driver got a good look at him or his/her vehicle
If the surrounding ‘expensive’ homes are gated then I can see a resident (and friend of hers) needing to come out and pick her up but then, why the lack of cover ‍♀️
Great points! What about her bags? That surely took a bit of time. That lyft driver should have seen a lot!

Understood. I don't question her comfort in taking a Lyft. Totally get that.

I question her date's decision to not pick her up. If he wanted to see a woman at 3am, he can drive the extra 11 miles to pick her up. If he was truly interested in her in any way, other than purely selfish ways, he would have done that, imo. Especially if he was into being the big man who pampers his dates.

It's a big ol' waving red flag to me, as someone who is well beyond this age group, that this was not done. Has nothing to do, really, about ridesharing being a thing. It has to do with what his intentions were, and from what we can see, his intentions were not good. And, I think it has to do with avoiding cameras.

jmo...from someone who has been around the block

jmo

It's a difference of opinion and a difference in people, I think. I have been in almost exactly that situation (person I was meeting was within easy driving distance of the airport), and I still insisted that I wanted to take a Lyft. I've done this even at night, and honestly I'm more likely to do it at night. It's just easier to me to have a rideshare pick me up the minute I'm finished in the airport than to have someone sit at the airport waiting on me for 10 min to an hour having no idea if my flight will actually make it on time. What it DOES make me thing is that the person lived within 45 min of the meeting location, probably closer. A likely scenario for me personally would be "just got my bags, I'll be at the park in 15 min" and then that person would know to leave home and meet me there at that time. Otherwise they would be sitting at the park for an unknown amount of time which would be suspicious at that hour. If I actually liked and knew the person, I wouldn't want them waiting on me that long, especially at 2am. I've had my boyfriend nearly throw a fit wanting to pick me up at the airport, and I've insisted that I want to do it the way that makes me feel less bad. I guess I'm selfish in trying to not be selfish? lol idk, but it's how I do things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erinicole93