CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heat will be the biggest problem. But if she's out there I would certainly think the helicopter would spot her. It's very desert. Is there a map of where she was last seen?
Also, why wouldn't she be carrying supplies such as water? Was her husband carrying everything?
Go WEST on the map from Bullhead city. According to one of the MSM links in this thread she was 20 miles north of Hwy 40 (the scale for distance is in the lower right of the map) and east of the road that runs between Baker and Kelso. You can make the map go to satellite to see the terrain better. Google Maps

I'm sorry to so obtuse but I have a question. Is it common to hike in the desert in the middle of summer?

I have no experience with deserts (live in Canada), but we continually see people hiking in the desert when it's really hot and getting into trouble. I know enough about deserts that I wouldn't attempt it.

Am I missing something? TIA

I'm sorry to so obtuse but I have a question. Is it common to hike in the desert in the middle of summer?

I have no experience with deserts (live in Canada), but we continually see people hiking in the desert when it's really hot and getting into trouble. I know enough about deserts that I wouldn't attempt it.

Am I missing something? TIA
I hang out at the desert in the summer but only at the river or lake. It’s too hot to not be around water imo. I would never go hiking in the summer there. But some do.

Such a pretty lady. Thank you for the update.

But...this...ugh. :(

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures are above 100 degrees today.

It's been 24 hrs, likely more. Double ugh.

Hard to find much info. GraceG's comment about the Explorers of the Mojave Desert FB group seems to have interesting info. There are two posts there about Barbara.

Not finding much on twitter, either.

SBCSD Colorado River Station on Twitter

The search is moving into the third day for Barbara Thomas in the Mohave desert. Barbara was last seen in the area of Kelbaker / Hidden Hills near the I-40. The search involves numerous Search & Rescue members, deputies, K9’s, Sheriff’s Aviation(helicopter) and Park Rangers.

There have been no sightings of her at this time. The temperatures today hovered around 104 degrees

The search for 69-year-old Barbara Thomas is continuing In the area of Kelbaker/ Hidden Hills near ... from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle

This says 91°. Past Weather in Mojave Desert, California, USA — Yesterday or Further Back

I've hiked the Superstition Mountains in AZ in a bikini. But, in my defense, I was 18 years old! :p Definitely wouldn't do that now. MOO
I live in Bullhead City, Arizona. I don't know where you're getting your temperatures from, but it was a 122 today, and 119 yesterday. Hiking out here in these temperatures is not unusual, neither is the bikini and boots,.....however no phone, no water, and no food for anyone used to this climate is very strange.

The niece stated that when she went ahead of her husband she crossed a freeway. That would be a possibility of abduction if someone spotted a lone woman and just stopped and grabbed her. But you think if that is the case he would have heard her scream. (if someone tried to grab me I'd be making as much noise as possible). Praying she is found whatever the outcome. She has a family that loves and needs her.
I think her niece has Kelbaker Road and the freeway mixed up. The 40 is a long ways south from where she was last seen. And if someone happened to be driving along Kelbaker the same time she was walking across it, that would surprise me

I live in Bullhead City, Arizona. I don't know where you're getting your temperatures from, but it was a 122 today, and 119 yesterday. Hiking out here in these temperatures is not unusual, neither is the bikini and boots,.....however no phone, no water, and no food for anyone used to this climate is very strange.
In PommyMommy’s defense, someone asked her how cold it gets at night, she was giving a nighttime low temperature not day time high.

Thank you, it's good to have another local here. The original poster asked about the overnight temperature on the 12th which came from the link in my post. MOO

I wonder if she and her husband had an argument and one of them stomped off.[
She COULD BE headed anywhere in 'the area.' It would SEEM if she had been 'headed' to a specific place, that would have been revealed to law enforcement...and searchers. And unless she knew EXACTLY where she was, and where she was headed, and KNEW how to get there -- I'm not sure how she would be 'headed' anywhere. Brief news accounts claim she had NOTHING with her. No water, no maps, no GPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419