CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone on here hoping, helping and sharing info.

I am Barbara's nephew, and though i don't have much to add to what you guys have gathered i can share that Barb and Robbie were regular and avid campers. besides the rv they also regularly camp on their day boat on the Colorado river. They are both outdoorsy people, and regularly traversed the desert. she collected rocks for their rock garden and was fond of gnarly wood pieces. they both also liked bottle hunting and finding leftover prospector knickknacks, flints etc. lots of interesting items they'd found and collected from their desert walks...

i went on the river with them once, and they also took our family out in the desert when we were kids, maybe fifteen years back. I can confirm they're from Bullhead, though they often spend summers in Canada, where I believe Robbie's family live. They were all about the desert, and I'm not sure they would have even been in an actual campground or official campsite. They spent time outdoors like that all the time. And bikini, beer and hiking boots is accurate. That's her style.

I'm shocked Robbie would have let her get ahead of him, but just indicates to me how well they both must have known the area. I heard from my father (Barbara's brother) that after failing to find her at the RV Rob began searching the area, including a nearby cave they both knew about, incase she'd gone there to escape the heat. So this is a place they camped and explored regularly... All my info is coming second and even third hand, or from the same news sources you guys are seeing. I've actually just learned about this today, as I'm travelling at the moment.

My father's health is failing and Barbara was literally flying to visit us in Hong Kong next week. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but understandably my father was not immediately notified of the severity of the situation, as his own situation is dire. When Robbie finally contacted my family in HK to share this devastating news, my father's wife and my sister report the story he told was almost unbelievable. Robbie also reported he'd been detained for most of a day as a suspect.

Just last week I received voice messages from Barb concerning my father's condition and whether or not she should push her trip forward. I've had trouble contacting her, but this was no surprise to us as her and Robbie are often comfortably beyond cellphone service. I am not the most easy to reach either, so our calls kept missing...

I am grateful this community has jumped on this, and frankly am still in shock. Feeling a bit helpless and can only hope and pray.

I've not been a very active part of Barb or Robbies lives these past decades, or I would have more details to share, but I can say these two were no strangers to the rocky hills around Arizona/Nevada. They were seasoned enough to feel casual in the hills and the heat, and the news reports I've read aren't making it sound that way.

Thank you all again for your concern and your efforts to dig into this.
Bringing this post forward FYI seems like they have been together a long time ? jMO

BBM HUH? Now they had a pack and a gallon of water??

“They took a pack, beer and a gallon of water, and Barbara was wearing a bikini, hiking boots with black socks, and a red-and-white baseball cap.”

Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'
I don’t think it was ever said they had no supplies, but that she herself did not have anything with her.

He probably put on the backpack with a gallon of water and maybe a couple beers in it and had his camera, and she had a beer in hand and that’s all.

Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'

Man. I don't know what to make of this video interview here.

RT tells the reporter LE considers him "the prime suspect."

LE hasn't even said that a crime has been committed.

He tells the reporter that LE told him his polygraph results showed deception.

He then immediately follows that up by saying that he knows polygraphs aren't reliable and that he hadn't slept the night before.

His emotional distress certainly appears genuine.
Having said that, there are a lot of possible explanations for his being distraught.
He might, for example, know for a fact that she's never coming back.

I don't doubt that he wishes that BT could, "Come home."
I believe he misses her.
That doesn't mean he can't be responsible for the fact that she's missing.
The 2 aren't mutually exclusive.

A lot of people do bad things that they regret afterward.

Not everyone who commits crimes is devoid of a conscience.
We may be seeing remorse combined with grief in that video.

Not saying he's involved in her disappearance or caused it, but it definitely can't be ruled out until LE rules it out.

I don't know.
This is a weird case that's getting weirder by the minute.

JMO.
I believe this man. In the video, you can see the two lane road she had to cross to get to the trailer, must be Kelbaker Road? It's very plausible someone could have abducted her. I still think they were camped near that area I linked upstream Hidden Hill Road Reviews - Campendium
Google Maps

I believe this man. In the video, you can see the two lane road she had to cross to get to the trailer, must be Kelbaker Road? It's very plausible someone could have abducted her. I still think they were camped near that area I linked upstream Hidden Hill Road Reviews - Campendium
Google Maps
I can’t get the video to play, but I also think they were camping in that area. I posted a few links to remote campsites around Hidden Hills Rd and Kelbaker.

Why would the husband state that LE told him his polygraph came back as being deceptive? Is he not concerned about how that looks in the public eye? Does he think it makes him look honest to tell the public that?
Does he have an attorney yet?
@kkdj Now where did you see this? Makes all the difference in the world to my way of thinking.

Google Maps

I think it's remotely possible that someone abducted her from that location, but that's not what's most likely here.

What I noticed in that video is that not a single car passed on that road. Desolate stretch of highway.
It doesn't appear to be highly trafficked at all.
The odds of someone with nefarious intention driving past at the exact same moment that BT would have purportedly been crossing it are slim at best.

If BT was lost/disoriented, there's nothing to say she would have even reached that road.

It's the husband who's pushing the abduction scenario here, not LE.

If LE believed she'd been abducted and "taken to Vegas," as RT is postulating, they wouldn't have searchers, dogs, helicopters, etc., out still searching that area for her.

I really want to know why RT is baking Vegas into the abduction narrative.
If she's been abducted, she could have been taken anywhere.
They could have been heading in the opposite direction for all he would know.

I was giving RT the benefit of the doubt.
Then he told on himself.
RT stating LE told him he's "the prime suspect" is significant.

A failed poly is significant.
I don't care how much sleep you got the night before.
You flunk a poly, you now have LE's full attention.

JMO.

I don’t believe LE would continue to search for her, where they are, for show. They are not going to risk lives for effect.
All my opinion.

Strongly agree with you.

LE will always investigate other avenues, and if they started seeing major red flags, they would likely have curtailed the searches by now. I am already surprised they are continuing to search in this heat for this many days when the chances of rescue are getting slimmer.

Based the information made public, I still don't find anything suspicious about the husband (in this case).

I wouldn't take his word for it that he "failed the poly." I would actually expect LE to TELL him he showed signs of deception in case it gets him to reveal more information. If LE told us he failed that poly, that'd be a different story. I'm keeping an open mind on this one, and hoping something pops up that makes sense.

Well....just catching up here, and what can I say??

Many of you have been bold, and I understand why.

The thing that bothered me in his recent interview was that he said she wasn't at the trailer he called her name 'and waved his arms'. As if the latter was important. <sigh>

And, again, the mention of the bikini and the beer. Why does he keep mentioning that?

Perhaps he truly is a heart-broken naive man. I hope that's the case.

@GordianKnot found a wonderful fine line to walk with his/her post.

I'll just wait for more news. Sitting on my hands. (They are tempted to do impulsive things right now.)

I wouldn't take his word for it that he "failed the poly." I would actually expect LE to TELL him he showed signs of deception in case it gets him to reveal more information. If LE told us he failed that poly, that'd be a different story. I'm keeping an open mind on this one, and hoping something pops up that makes sense.

I do think it's possible that LE told him his poly showed he was deceptive just to gauge his reaction.
I also think it's possible they told him the husband is always the prime suspect.

RT may indeed have absolutely nothing to do with BT's disappearance.
That's what makes the circumstances of her disappearance here so unfortunate.
Fairly or unfairly, the cloud of suspicion is going to hang over him until either LE states he's been cleared or until BT is found.

JMO.

I think it's remotely possible that someone abducted her from that location, but that's not what's most likely here.

What I noticed in that video is that not a single car passed on that road. Desolate stretch of highway.
It doesn't appear to be highly trafficked at all.
The odds of someone with nefarious intention driving past at the exact same moment that BT would have purportedly been crossing it are slim at best.

If BT was lost/disoriented, there's nothing to say she would have even reached that road.

It's the husband who's pushing the abduction scenario here, not LE.

If LE believed she'd been abducted and "taken to Vegas," as RT is postulating, they wouldn't have searchers, dogs, helicopters, etc., out still searching that area for her.

I really want to know why RT is baking Vegas into the abduction narrative.
If she's been abducted, she could have been taken anywhere.
They could have been heading in the opposite direction for all he would know.

I was giving RT the benefit of the doubt.
Then he told on himself.
RT stating LE told him he's "the prime suspect" is significant.

A failed poly is significant.
I don't care how much sleep you got the night before.
You flunk a poly, you now have LE's full attention.

JMO.

Now, now GK. We all know Poly's are not admissible in court for a reason ... I'll play along with your train of thought. If RT harmed her and needed to hide her body, he certainly wouldn't have left her in that area would he? Or do you think it's a "look there, not here" move? Or do you think she will be found in the outlying desert area of Vegas?

I'm being very careful in how I phrase my posts, as I had my hand slapped in the Sheryl Powell thread. Ten years and I've only had one infraction :)

Thanks. I usually have a gut feeling about a case and usually it isn't wrong. In this case however, I don't have a feeling at all. Perplexing.
Ok, finally finished watching his interview and I did notice that as soon as he started talking about being a suspect and taking the polygraph and what investigators said about him being deceptive, he immediately looked up toward the left on each answer he gave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member