CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I think about it, Sheryl Powell wasn’t found until a few days later, so the “man with a knife” scenario wasn’t even known when Barbara went missing. So Barbara’s husband *couldn’t* have been speculating about her being abducted because of what happened to SP at that point!
Yeah, I don't think the two stories were linked together by anyone other than reporters. Barbara was already missing when Sherry was found.

Well, I kinda thought it was the husband immediately suggesting she had been abducted that created the speculation that she had been abducted.

Love direct quotes from police officers :)

from: California police say missing hiker who vanished 'in her bikini' was NOT abducted | Daily Mail Online

The notion that Barbara may have been abducted became public after a different hiker, Shirley Powell, who was missing for days in a different national park 300 miles away, was rescued. After being found, she described being chased by a knife-wielding man.

But sheriffs say it is unlikely the same man she described has gone after Barbara.

Police say the area where Barbara vanished is too remote for her to have been kidnapped

'When that information started coming out about [the other woman], that's what created the speculation [that Barbara had been abducted] but our investigation does not indicate any signs that she was abducted,' Miller said.

<bbm>

Been following this story from UK for several days now. Saw some on here have commented/queried on her health state. I was just looking again at the KTNV report on YouTube, and the host in giving description details of Barbara adds she was "in good health".

I don't know what to think. We have all seen supposed 'crocodile tears' from killers who give TV interviews, and appear to break down as they speak, knowing full well what has happened. The husband here may well be the type who is not given to showing emotion, but looking at these interviews he appears both times to well up and rub his eyes, yet there appears no tears or even watery eyes look, so it is like it is faked. JMO. Not saying he is lying because that could of course be his usual demeanour. But it is sure odd all round.

I really try to withhold judgement.

However, I could list dozens of cases where my initial feeling has proven to be correct. A feeling, a hunch, a sense that something is just off.

Hoping for the best, fearing the worst.

I do not see RT being involved in this at all. He knows that she knows this area inside and out so the only thing he can come up with, is abduction and maybe it was! They have not found her, have they?
(BBM): According to her husband, they had never been there before. They pulled off to the side of the road to take a short (2 mile) walk to check out some rock formations. MOO

Oh, I know. I just meant that the idea of someone reportedly wearing a bikini or pajamas or whatever doesn’t seem to indicate foul play to me —IMHO.
Well....if it is foul play, making sure everyone knows she was inadequately dressed for the conditions makes it seem like an acceptable idea that she will not be found alive.

I don't know that is the case, of course, and I hope it isn't.

jmo

Last edited:
I have hiked all over the desert, I just can't wrap my head around wearing a bikini. I am three feet away from Chollas, and the spikes find me, and I wear jeans, with boots.
All the Northeners are now googling Chollas. Hint: It's a cactus.

I can't see Barbara, a very beautiful woman, out there in the mid-day sun without a shirt on and walking 2 miles. She would wear something to protect her skin from the sun and its resulting wrinkles and sun spots.

Great points made. Regarding the point I bolded though, I don't think that route is anywhere near the shortest way to Las Vegas from where they live. It looks well out of the way.
According to google maps, from their place in Bullhead City to LV via US-95 it takes 1:37. Via Needle to Kelso to LV it is 3:30, well over double the time. I think the road through Kelso might be a short-cut for people driving from LA to LV.

No, not the shortest, but the most fun and the most scenic. The most likely to have a place to pull over and be alone in the desert. The most likely to see cactus in bloom. The best place to take an RV and test it out. A really good rock collecting place.

We absolutely hate the I-15 (well, I do and I do most of the driving) and I've been that way a few times. I love the I-40. So going through Kelso and seeing the Preserve is way to go without semi trucks and a million cars - for at least part of it.

Going to Vegas is not a major destination for a lot of people in the Colorado River region - it's a good place to go out for dinner and stay in air conditioning (for cheap) while exploring the desert. We stop by Vegas on our way home from GC, even though it's out of the way.

There used to be a cam set up in the preserve where you could watch the animals come up and drink out of this water source they had set up. I believe it was a live cam that streamed 24 hours and had night vision which was when most of the action went down at the trough. Not sure if it’s still in operation but it was pretty neat to watch

I have hiked all over the desert, I just can't wrap my head around wearing a bikini. I am three feet away from Chollas, and the spikes find me, and I wear jeans, with boots.

I can’t imagine hiking in jeans. lol

I have seen men shirtless, women in sports bras w/ boy shorts. One time a man in a kilt, that was pretty cool!

can possibities be discussed without accusing anyone of anything? last person to have seen her, whether victim or suspect, is a person of interest to the investigation. what are the rules for tiptoeing around this while still allowing the conversation to be useful relative to facts presented?

ADMIN REMINDER:

Websleuths is victim friendly. RT is considered a victim unless/until such time as LE officially indicates otherwise.

Do not make direct accusations or insinuate he is somehow responsible for BT's disappearance. You may respectfully question what he has said in MSM or what is written about him in MSM, but do not turn it into accusations against him.

Failure to heed this reminder may result in a thread reply ban.

No, not the shortest, but the most fun and the most scenic. The most likely to have a place to pull over and be alone in the desert. The most likely to see cactus in bloom. The best place to take an RV and test it out. A really good rock collecting place.

We absolutely hate the I-15 (well, I do and I do most of the driving) and I've been that way a few times. I love the I-40. So going through Kelso and seeing the Preserve is way to go without semi trucks and a million cars - for at least part of it.

Going to Vegas is not a major destination for a lot of people in the Colorado River region - it's a good place to go out for dinner and stay in air conditioning (for cheap) while exploring the desert. We stop by Vegas on our way home from GC, even though it's out of the way.

Have you ever done the old Route 66? That is a lot of fun. We love that area, but usually in January.

All the Northeners are now googling Chollas. Hint: It's a cactus.

I can't see Barbara, a very beautiful woman, out there in the mid-day sun without a shirt on and walking 2 miles. She would wear something to protect her skin from the sun and its resulting wrinkles and sun spots.

Here's what bothers me much more than the question of what she was reportedly wearing:

The time of day that RT and BT purportedly got the sudden inspiration to stop and go for a walk in the desert.

Right in the pickin' middle of the afternoon. Not morning. Not early evening.

The middle of the day. Sun at its zenith.

In 100+ degrees.

In the Mohave.

When the sun is beating down full force overhead.

Who does that?

JMO.

Last edited:
I'm nearby. Took the 40 and got to the kelbaker exit about 2pm today.
drove 35 miles up to past kelso depot and turned back.
There were no search vehicles parked, or any type of vehicle.
On the way back I saw two portapotties way back in a turnout I had missed.
I think this was the staging area. Lots of ATV tracks.
I took two photos, 1 looking east at the potties and 1 west at the rocks.
I think the reported search area was incorrect. There's nothing east.
My odometer read 6 miles from potty to freeway.
I walked to those rocks. The highway is lower than the terrain so walk in a hundred feet and it's gone. The photo towards the rocks, the road is there the other side of the brush.
It's easy to get disoriented. From the rocks a vehicle passing by sounds like the whoosh of the wind.
outhouses.jpg

staging-area.jpg

I might have missed it,so please direct me...has anyone other than the husband talked to MSM??

Husband's daughter talked to MSM.

She basically parroted what RT said; namely, that abduction is the only scenario that makes sense.

To her and RT, at least.

LE clearly disagrees with their assessment.

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members