NY NY - Cynthia Constantine, 15, Oakdale, 11 July 1969

This is a haunting case because I literally live in the area. My parents and all kids from that time learned not to trust strangers or go out by themselves because of what happened to Cynthia
what's the deal with the claim that Charles Luther, William Douglas and Rosemary Jacovino all went missing from Locust Ave in Oakdale in the early 1960s but only William Douglas is still missing?

Attachments

• charles luther.JPG
    charles luther.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 28
what's the deal with the claim that Charles Luther, William Douglas and Rosemary Jacovino all went missing from Locust Ave in Oakdale in the early 1960s but only William Douglas is still missing?
I’ve never even heard about this one. I wonder if he’s still missing

I'm sure the dog made her feel safer, even today that plot of woods has an eerie energy about it even if it's a lot smaller now than it was when Cynthia went missing.
The dog “Girl” was Cynthia’s dog, the dog went for many a walk with her..the woods were never considered unsafe until Cynthia went missing. That day ended our childhood for us as we were not allowed to walk on Montauk Hwy or play in the woods. As children, preteens etc we walked the tracks west towards bubble falls and beyond. Cynthia was looking for the muskrat home, which is in the wetlands. Where she went missing the police discovered scuffle marks - someone could have seen this abduction from the Montauk Hwy bridge, and punks were scattered about.Punks were popular to find as when you burnt them it kept the mosquitos away. She probably collected them for her brother Bill. If you were driving on Montauk hwy bridge and just happened to look down the tracks one would have seen the person abducting Cynthia.No one has come forward. Her Mom told my Mom, the family thought it was someone that was disgruntled with the bike business they owned on Montauk Hwy.

The dog “Girl” was Cynthia’s dog, the dog went for many a walk with her..the woods were never considered unsafe until Cynthia went missing. That day ended our childhood for us as we were not allowed to walk on Montauk Hwy or play in the woods. As children, preteens etc we walked the tracks west towards bubble falls and beyond. Cynthia was looking for the muskrat home, which is in the wetlands. Where she went missing the police discovered scuffle marks - someone could have seen this abduction from the Montauk Hwy bridge, and punks were scattered about.Punks were popular to find as when you burnt them it kept the mosquitos away. She probably collected them for her brother Bill. If you were driving on Montauk hwy bridge and just happened to look down the tracks one would have seen the person abducting Cynthia.No one has come forward. Her Mom told my Mom, the family thought it was someone that was disgruntled with the bike business they owned on Montauk Hwy.
That’s very informative. So since the scuffling was found it suggests that Cynthia was taken in a struggle by her abductor? I have the feeling her dig may have bitten the abductor and that he may have gotten treatment.

The detectives searched the area however it poured very heavy the next day so all traces of shoe prints were washed away along with any evidence that was left behind..all so tragic and horrible time- neighborhoods south of Montauk were terribly quiet during that time..so sad. Many people searched for her that night; police, firefighters, Boy Scouts (Mr. Constantine was a troop leader) one of my brothers was in his troop... the men - Dads all searching,..rows of flashlights..looking snd looking but no Cynthia

Also, yes there was evidence that she struggled. she was gone awhile from home when she was discovered missing by her parents. Her brother Bill who usually was with her when they went into the woods, stayed home and was watching tv..she had told her brother where she was going but not her parents.her parents thought that she was in her backyard with her rabbit who was going to give birth any day. So, they called for her to come inside and that’s when they found out when she went into the woods by herself. She was warned not to go into the woods alone. The family lived on Montauk Hwy..there was just a few kids who lived on the Hwy, but not a lot where they lived, so that’s why the bro and sis hung out together.

That’s very informative. So since the scuffling was found it suggests that Cynthia was taken in a struggle by her abductor? I have the feeling her dig may have bitten the abductor and that he may have gotten treatment.
I don’t believe that person would have gotten treatment, for a dog bite.Back then, you just didn’t always rush to a dr. for treatment. You treated it yourself

Bayport LI here. Very familiar with the Oakdale area, never heard of this case. I am trying to visualize the exact area she went missing, will have to drive by. Did any of you LI’ers ever meet up to discuss the case? MOO

Bayport LI here. Very familiar with the Oakdale area, never heard of this case. I am trying to visualize the exact area she went missing, will have to drive by. Did any of you LI’ers ever meet up to discuss the case? MOO
I checked out area on google earth and my husband and I frequent the bait & tackle shop in the area as well as a few other businesses. Wow.

While it’s been suggested that Cynthia’s father was involved based on the newspaper clipping, I do not believe that’s the case. The circumstances suggest that Cynthia’s was one of the 1000s of Children who became victims of a stranger abduction in a time that authorities didn’t realize the significance of the cases.

If you are looking for the area: if you are coming from the west on sunrise Hwy take the service road south- heading towards the Oakdale bypass bridge- right before the bridge there is a small parking lot that one can park their car and go fishing ...if I wanted to see it again today don’t go during rush hour you have to slow down and turn right into the area.
.. the tracks run under the bridge...I’m not sure if the actual spot was west or east of the bridge...east would have put Cynthia near the businesses that back on the tracks and west would have put her near the parking area - it was an unofficial pull off back then. (It was just a sandy dirt spot)but it would have been closer to bubble falls, the muskrat hole and she also had gathered the punks which were scattered about where the scuffle was found. My guess is that she was headed back from bubble falls close to the pull off. I think that possibly someone was passing saw her at the falls, pulled over, waited and planned and took her when she walked past. ..she was pretty with blonde hair. It could have been any of us, we walked the tracksto bubbles all the time but usually in groups. Oakdale was considered the sticks back then lots of woods. There was also a road that no longer exists that went from the back of idle hour onto the Montauk Hwy bridge..it was a very dangerous turn off as the end, ended at the almost downside of the bridge going east..so someone could have taken Cynthia from the lot, drive onto the bridge, taken the right onto that road and end up in idle hour..the back end where the tracks run through idle hour.

Last edited:
If you are looking for the area: if you are coming from the west on sunrise Hwy take the service road south- heading towards the Oakdale bypass bridge- right before the bridge there is a small parking lot that one can park their car and go fishing ...if I wanted to see it again today don’t go during rush hour you have to slow down and turn right into the area.
.. the tracks run under the bridge...I’m not sure if the actual spot was west or east of the bridge...east would have put Cynthia near the businesses that back on the tracks and west would have put her near the parking area - it was an unofficial pull off back then. (It was just a sandy dirt spot)but it would have been closer to bubble falls, the muskrat hole and she also had gathered the punks which were scattered about where the scuffle was found. My guess is that she was headed back from bubble falls close to the pull off. I think that possibly someone was passing saw her at the falls, pulled over, waited and planned and took her when she walked past. ..she was pretty with long blonde hair. It could have been any of us, we walked the tracksto bubbles all the time but usually in groups. Oakdale was considered the sticks back then lots of woods. There was also a road that no longer exists that went from the back of idle hour onto the Montauk Hwy bridge..it was a very dangerous turn off as the end, ended at the almost downside of the bridge going east..so someone could have taken Cynthia from the lot, drive onto the bridge, taken the right onto that road and end up in idle hour..the back end where the tracks run through idle hour.
Also, to access the area now, if you miss the spot you will have to make a big loop around cause the lot is accessed from west going east on the service road. Or you could park at one of the businesses in Oakdale right after the bridge and walk the tracks but I wouldn’t do it by myself. I will never walk in the woods alone in my lifetime. Cynthia’s abduction ended all that for me.

Last edited:
While it’s been suggested that Cynthia’s father was involved based on the newspaper clipping, I do not believe that’s the case. The circumstances suggest that Cynthia’s was one of the 1000s of Children who became victims of a stranger abduction in a time that authorities didn’t realize the significance of the cases.
Cynthia’s Dad and brother was not involved with the disappearance of Cynthia.

Cynthia’s Dad and brother was not involved with the disappearance of Cynthia.
I don’t believe it either but here is the news article about it. It’s was written 12/08/2005 in the Suffolk County News. I believe that a complete stranger was responsible:

upload_2019-7-23_15-52-40.jpeg

I don’t believe it either but here is the news article about it. It’s was written 12/08/2005 in the Suffolk County News. I believe that a complete stranger was responsible:

View attachment 194586
I feel that they did this because they had no other suspects. Authorities have wrongly suspected a parent of being the culprit many times. Cynthia’s father was heartbroken and very sad after her disappearance. Her parents were never the same

Also, to access the area now, if you miss the spot you will have to make a big loop around cause the lot is accessed from west going east on the service road. Or you could park at one of the businesses in Oakdale right after the bridge and walk the tracks but I wouldn’t do it by myself. I will never walk in the woods alone in my lifetime. Cynthia’s abduction ended all that for me.
Thank you!

So I was discussing this case yesterday afternoon with a co-worker after I heard him mention that he lives in Oakdale. He actually went to school at the Middle School on Oakdale-Bohemia Road and spent a lot of time hanging out in the woods that Cynthia was last seen walking in to. He told me that he remembers hearing the story about Cynthia when he was younger but he also remembers hearing about an incident involving 3 other girls. I will try to get more information.
I know a bit if it’s the same three girls..two girls were being raped by two boys when the older sister walked in and broke it up..it was never reported and it occurred in Bohemia.Both boys were high on drugs. Strong rumor...heard it from a friend of a friend....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back