CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article has excellent photos from the Sheriff's department of the search area. Really opened my eyes concerning the possibility that she could possibly be wedged into a rock crevice. Also leads me to think that if she was lost she may have sought out these rocks to try to see where the fifth wheel RV was located and may have fallen.
News Update!!: Essex, CA: Search for hiker Barbara Thomas continues Saturday as a week goes by since becoming missing.
DBM

Last edited:
So sad to hear of another missing hiker in desert climate.

This reminds me so much of the missing Paul Miller case who disappeared at Joshua Tree park which has a desert type climate too.

For Barbara's case the one thing that stuck out to me was her husband mentioning she had a beer.
Is beer or alcohol even allowed on the trails?

I know some people may break rules but if it is not allowed to begin with then it brings up some more questions I would have.

And even if it is allowed and with my understanding of hiking in hot climates alcohol would not typically be what you want to bring to hydrate yourself. I know a cold beer is refreshing but for a hike on a desert trail I think I would be more inclinded to bring plain water.

Hope she is found soon one way or another. So sad. :(

CA - CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

As has been discussed extensively in the earlier threads re this case, Barbara Thomas's husband Robert says that she was carrying a beer when she disappeared. He also has said that he was carrying a gallon of water. While as a hiker, I would not drink beer on a hot day in the desert, in Robert's account they were going for more of a walk than a hike. Also, beer is less dehydrating than than other forms of booze.

A number of people here have said that it's not unusual for heat-adapted desert people to sometimes drink beer when walking or hanging around in the desert. MOO.

It's quite possible that we haven't heard any updates due to the fact that she went missing in California, but they live in Arizona. I am sure that it takes time to go through the proper procedures and paperwork to search the home in another state. Probably more difficult being as there was no indication of Foul Play?

Just my speculation

MOO:

Getting away with the murder of someone close to you is becoming extremely difficult, to the point of it being almost impossible.

We leave trails that technology can pick up - from your cell phone pings to traffic/dash cams, not to mention emails, Internet searches and activity, etc.

You have to be perfect and incredibly lucky to not get caught, and all you need to do is make one mistake, get caught on a traffic camera in a place where you claimed not to be, leave a single fiber, whatever, for the police to get you.

And if you are close to a victim, you will be put under a microscope.

Good luck.

So sad to hear of another missing hiker in desert climate.

This reminds me so much of the missing Paul Miller case who disappeared at Joshua Tree park which has a desert type climate too.

CA - CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

SBM: I linked Paul's thread in one of Barbara's earlier threads, but it is a lot to read and I know not everyone who jumps into a case reads all earlier posts. (Sometimes there are so many, and so many repetitive posts). But yes, i think there are parallels to be drawn between the two. Lots of posters here assume that if Barbara were out there, she would have been found by now, but there are many cases - like Paul's, but not just Paul's - where we can see that might not be the case. In Paul's case, I leave room for foul play/self-harm (unfortunately, a lot of room for foul play) but many do not, and that's great too.

Just wanted to say that no 2 cases are ever really the same. And it is too early IMO to assume anything.

As has been discussed extensively in the earlier threads re this case, Barbara Thomas's husband Robert says that she was carrying a beer when she disappeared. He also has said that he was carrying a gallon of water. While as a hiker, I would not drink beer on a hot day in the desert, in Robert's account they were going for more of a walk than a hike. Also, beer is less dehydrating than than other forms of booze.

A number of people here have said that it's not unusual for heat-adapted desert people to sometimes drink beer when walking or hanging around in the desert. MOO.

Thank you. I didnt realize we are on thread #4 as I thought this was the first thread. Gosh Im way behind then and I need to do a lot of reading to catch up.

Thanks for reply on this and informing me that there are more threads.

fyi for any newbies to WS. You can find links to the previous threads by going to the 1st page of this thread and the previous links are usually in the first post or two of Page 1.

Slightly off topic...but similar. I watched a Forensics File show on Saturday. The episode was about a couple who "went" to Florida on vacation. The husband went to the drug store, came back and his wife was "missing" from the hotel room. After careful and excellent police work; they found that the wife had never been in Florida. In fact, he had killed and buried her near their home in an old golf course, before he left for the "trip". They caught him on surveillance cameras, going through a toll-booth. He was the only one in the car. Things that me you go hmmmm... jmo

MOO:

Getting away with the murder of someone close to you is becoming extremely difficult, to the point of it being almost impossible.

We leave trails that technology can pick up - from your cell phone pings to traffic/dash cams, not to mention emails, Internet searches and activity, etc.

You have to be perfect and incredibly lucky to not get caught, and all you need to do is make one mistake, get caught on a traffic camera in a place where you claimed not to be, leave a single fiber, whatever, for the police to get you.

And if you are close to a victim, you will be put under a microscope.

Good luck.
Sadly, given the rates of domestic violence resulting in deaths, it doesn’t seem to be much of a deterrent. : (

MOO

BBM:

Fortunately, we DO have a verified insider in this case:

@dbdb11 , do you know whether or not LE executed search warrants for RT's house and/or the RV, his electronic data, computer, cell phone, etc.?

TIA!
Cannot confirm. It is my own opinion that a warrant must have been served and evidence collected. The police have not stated so, to my understanding.

Robbie has claimed his phone was taken. I spoke to him on his cellphone three days after I learned about all of this, so I don't know the timeline for his claims.

Slightly off topic...but similar. I watched a Forensics File show on Saturday. The episode was about a couple who "went" to Florida on vacation. The husband went to the drug store, came back and his wife was "missing" from the hotel room. After careful and excellent police work; they found that the wife had never been in Florida. In fact, he had killed and buried her near their home in an old golf course, before he left for the "trip". They caught him on surveillance cameras, going through a toll-booth. He was the only one in the car. Things that me you go hmmmm... jmo

Yes...AND if they encounter a similar situation from a known camera source where she is not in the car...imo, he could easily say she was in the RV "taking a nap"

I have no doubt LE is working hard at this case. I'm just curious what their thoughts are now (obviously, we won't know in order to protect the investigation). I wouldn't be surprised if their focus is no longer the desert. I have my doubts that she was really there. JMO

Me too.
She had been making plans to go to China, so she would have talked to someone recently before her disappearance?
I remember that she spoke to the VI's family some time before her disappearance about when she would be coming, but I'm not sure when it was. Sorry I can't remember names! (I know it has a couple of d's in it)

Cannot confirm. It is my own opinion that a warrant must have been served and evidence collected. The police have not stated so, to my understanding.

Robbie has claimed his phone was taken. I spoke to him on his cellphone three days after I learned about all of this, so I don't know the timeline for his claims.

Thanks, db!

Separate question, if you're able to answer:

Has LE contacted any of Barb's family members that you know of to ask questions/gather info from family, e.g., verifying the most recent dates/times family members spoke with her on the phone, inquiring about whether or not she had disclosed any relationship issues, health problems, financial struggles, etc?

Basically, just wondering whether or not LE has given your family any direct or indirect indication that they're considering possibilities other than her having gone lost in the desert.

JMO.

@dbdb11 have you spoken to Robbie since then? Do you know whether he is doing anything himself to look for her? Flyers, Facebook pages, local press etc?

I don’t think that there’s been anything along the lines of flyers, Facebook, etc. that WS people have noticed. (Apart from his first interviews with the press.)

(Added clarifications.)

Last edited:
Mystery lingers around woman's disappearance

This is a link to a 2007 article about ANOTHER missing hiker-this one in Montana. Her circumstances are eerily similar and I wonder if that event was used as inspiration for THIS event. Her first name is Barbara too! Here is an excerpt from that article:

The pair then enjoyed the mountain views for maybe a half-hour or 40 minutes before deciding to head back down the hill.

Ramaker said Barbara was only about 20 or 30 feet away when he turned to take one more look at the scenery. It was a short look - maybe 45 seconds, maybe a minute. When he turned around, Barbara was gone. It was the last time he saw her, he'd tell investigators later.

"This is really a tough one for me," Johnson said. "It's outside of my scope of experience. I haven't been able to find anyone else who's had a similar experience. We're talking about a minute and then you look back and she's gone."

Thank you to the person who fixed my 'link.'

Wow! Thank you for the link. That is eerily similar!! I wonder if BTor RT were aware of this missing person. Would certainly push me off the fence if there were digital traces of this story on RT’s computer.

I’m so thankful this thread is open. I check it regularly, waiting for some good news. Where are the VIs? Haven’t seen them in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea