OH - 9 killed + Gunman, 16 injured, Mass Shooting, Oregon District, Dayton, 4 Aug 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Warning: Graphic content*

Dayton 24/7 Now spoke with other classmates of Betts' who said he was expelled from school after officials found a notebook where he reportedly wrote a list of people who he wanted to rape, kill and skin their bodies. The classmate we spoke with said Betts was supposed to write a letter of apology to the people on the list. After being expelled, Betts was allowed back to school, according to the classmate. The classmate added Betts was not a loner, but had friends.

More at link Dayton Police, FBI search Bellbrook home of Oregon District shooting suspect

holy hell...apologize? wow...oh wow...not normal rebellious behavior at all. Smoking pot, skipping school, playing video games listening to loud music yes, a hit list. NO. not normal.

Heavy.com on Twitter
Dayton gunman Connor Betts was expelled from high school for creating a hit list of women he wanted to rape and kill, his classmates say.
RSBM
Bleh, I can't imagine how sick those girls must have felt attending school with him.
He also had a plan to shoot up the school in 2010/2011.
Dayton Gunman Reportedly Suspended From High School for Writing “Hit List” on Wall
Most of all I want to know
1. What the hell did the school do to "fix" the situation?
2. Did he recieve therapy/counseling? And for how long?
3. Why the was he accepted back to the school? Apology letters? That would just bring trauma back to the girls who were in fear of being raped and killed.
4. Was local LE aware of his threats and attempted actions?
I hope and pray that this wasn't a preventable situation, like Nickolas Cruz. If it was we haven't learned anything from these past two decades of constant mass shootings... MOO

Edit: I'll see you all in the morning, I'm getting too angry and there's no way that I can express it except for making comments that are against TOS.
I feel sick even saying this, but if there's another shooting could someone please PM me? Thanks.
Have a good night, I hope we get some more news on his motive tomorrow.
As always, MOO.

Last edited:
I believe that a majority of our elected government, support themselves. We are nothing but minions to them to help them get rich while they espouse lies promising to help the downtrodden.
There are literally too many examples of current and past elected government officials who are not wealthy before their winning of an election, but "somehow" end up rich.
Corruption of so called "leaders", is not just an American experience.
It is worldwide.
Owning a gun, with which to defend yourself and family has always been our constitutional right for Americans.
As you are on this website, you will notice that there are terrible people in this world.
Do I anticipate that any, politician will help my family in a crisis? Laughable.

When someone is entering my home, my business, or, even my town with evil intentions, being unable to defend, equals certain death or servitude.

Check out history. Millions. Have fallen as they had no way to defend themselves.
One last comment. The bad guys will ALWAYS get a gun.
Legal or not.

Tyrannical government? Self defence? o_O
Don't you live in a democratic society that puts a government in place that represents you? Don't you have law enforcement that your tax dollars pay for? I'm still confused.

As are pretty much any other leading countries in the world. We vote our governments in and then they represent us. Isn't that democracy?

No worries. We are all trying to understand...crazy.

I would never paint all Americans as being the same as mass shooters!! I believe Americans have great pride and there are so many wonderful Americans. I don't recall ever saying different.
My apologies as this has gone on a tangent that I didn't want it to go. I simply wanted to understand.

holy hell...apologize? wow...oh wow...not normal rebellious behavior at all. Smoking pot, skipping school, playing video games listening to loud music yes, a hit list. NO. not normal.

Right!

If I was the principal I would not have ever let him back into the school, apology or not, if I could help it. Of course there would be the danger of him retaliating but imagine if you had a daughter there and then something happened to her (assault) at his hands? The argument would be that be he never should have been let back into the school in the first place because he clearly posed a danger. I’ve seen people get expelled for less things that that. Yeah, apology letter and readmittance? Sounds like he belonged in a mental hospital. Moo

I see serious liability factors with this equation.

It is protocol to handcuff a dangerous suspect first, then check on their condition.
Definitely makes sense and something I hadn’t thought of at the time. I figured getting shot a good several dozen times would convince you but it is always better safe than sorry!!!

Last edited:
RSBM
Bleh, I can't imagine how sick those girls must have felt attending school with him.
He also had a plan to shoot up the school in 2010/2011.
Dayton Gunman Reportedly Suspended From High School for Writing “Hit List” on Wall
Most of all I want to know
1. What the hell did the school do to "fix" the situation?
2. Did he recieve therapy/counseling? And for how long?
3. Why the **** was he accepted back to the school? Apology letters? That would just bring trauma back to the girls who were in fear of being raped and killed.
4. Was local LE aware of his threats and attempted actions?
I hope and pray that this wasn't a preventable situation, like Nickolas Cruz. If it was we haven't learned anything from these past two decades of constant mass shootings... MOO

Edit: I'll see you all in the morning, I'm getting too angry and there's no way that I can express it except for making comments that are against TOS.
I feel sick even saying this, but if there's another shooting could someone please PM me? Thanks.
Have a good night, I hope we get some more news on his motive tomorrow.
As always, MOO.

I’m thinking/wondering the same things you just posted. I’m floored he was allowed back in! Gosh, talk about liability issues, man...(see my post on this above). If my kid went to that school and I knew about this I would be IRATE.

Last edited:
and yet again I let a mass shooting derail my day and plans and sleep. Every single one should be charged as terrorism unless they’re killed at the scene. It’s sick. It’s sad. And I utterly cant believe there are humans this broken walking this earth. Good night all. Hope to have more details in the morning, especially from that companion!

I would never paint all Americans as being the same as mass shooters!! I believe Americans have great pride and there are so many wonderful Americans. I don't recall ever saying different.
My apologies as this has gone on a tangent that I didn't want it to go. I simply wanted to understand.
I think it’s great to ask why when you don’t understand about another culture or country. Thank you for caring enough to ask instead of automatically thinking we’re all crazy. :hugs:

Hi T-Bone.
I totally get it, and it sucks.
As a woman, I am so vigilant about where I Go, what I am wearing, and where I AM always.
I certainly wish that I could go about my errands without being cautious.

However, I do not see that happening.

I live in San Diego, California. Once, one of the jewels of all of America.
Once.

Because I live in a city of 9 million people who don’t have my best concerns at heart. Because I frequently travel alone and as a woman I know that makes me vulnerable. Is it fair no, is it my reality, yes. I have been a victim multiple times in my past, I won’t do it again. I am proficient and I will defend myself. Would I love to live in a different set of circumstances, absolutely but this is my world right now and I will defend myself.

(My quote of a quote didn’t work). I will try to fix.

This article has interviews with some of CB's middle & high school classmates...
NEW DETAILS: Dayton shooter obsessed with killing, Bellbrook classmates say

"Police said they haven’t yet established a motive for Sunday’s massacre. But acquaintances tell the Dayton Daily News the warning signs — signs of the shooter’s unusual obsession with killing and death — cropped up long ago.

“This isn’t a mystery to me,” said one middle school classmate. “I’m furious.”
The classmate, who spoke to the newspaper on condition of anonymity, said the shooter once said he fantasized about tying her up and slitting her throat. The fetish was so macabre that even the shooter admitted he was scared of his thoughts, the woman recalled him saying. “He knew it wasn’t normal,” the woman said about the decade-old conversation. “He and I talked at length about him getting help.”

The woman said she and her parents told Bellbrook police about the bizarre admission, but the woman said she felt she wasn’t taken seriously, despite the would-be shooter including her on a hit list."

What is your point in relation to the OH shooting?
I know you are not replying to me but I think what some are pointing out is that there is so much violent crime in Chicago that it doesn't get much news coverage as it's such a common occurrence.
It's not so common in Ohio, yet in both situations innocent people are killed, so it's just as devastating. Imo

Many of us know that (I’m just randomly picking between the two threads with general thoughts, post here, post there) that often notoriety, etc is part of the appeal for these shooters (hence the discussion/application of the refusal by FBI/LE and MSM outlets to minimize the mentioning of their names so as to not aid in the aspect of this glorification)...

Now with that being said, and sorry if this has already been addressed, I do wonder about the timing of today’s shooting. Obviously there was a plan, but I do wonder if he carried this out sooner than later as a result of the El Paso shooting. Meaning was he suddenly wanting that attention that the other shooting/shooter was getting and therefore carried out his plan today instead of say, next month. Just a thought.

El Paso, Ohio mass shootings: Is this ever going to end? - CNNPolitics

We know it can happen anywhere because mass shootings happen everywhere; in California, Texas, Ohio and Illinois in recent days at a festival, a Walmart, a nightlife district and a playground.

In states with lax gun laws and tough ones.
The suspected El Paso, Texas, shooter is a white nationalist. The shooter in California may have posted white supremacist sentiments on social media.

The suspected Ohio shooter is not -- at this point -- tied to any ideology at all. In Chicago, it was a drive-by shooting, a different strain of the cancer of gun violence in the United States.

What once caused alarm and a nationwide debate is now more terrifying because ... it is normal.

A woman who went to high school with Betts recalled the hit-list.

“I know he made the list,” she said. “I’m not sure who the names were on there...He had a plan to shoot up the school.”

When she first heard about the shooting, she said Betts’ name came to her mind.

“I guessed it might’ve been him just from that list,” she said.

She added that Betts was bullied at the high school and that he seemed “pretty normal” after he “got some help from making list.”

Demoy Howell was a year behind Connor Betts at Bellbrook High School, where they were in Junior ROTC together.

“He was always a little bit of an oddball,” said Howell, who graduated in 2014. “He had a dark sense of humor - jokes about people dying. He would wear all black. I remember sensing a dark energy around him.”

He never had a problem with Betts, but remembers friends saying he made them feel threatened or uncomfortable. The rigor of the military program seemed to have a calming influence, as Betts didn’t seem to have many friends, he added.

“Even though we all knew he was kind of weird, I felt like the colonels kind of kept him together,” Howell said. “There was a lockdown one year and it was because he wrote something in the bathroom. Then he kind of fell off the face of the earth. I don’t remember him walking (at graduation).”

Later, Howell said, the two worked together at a fast-food restaurant.

“Generally there was no issue,” he said. “He kind of kept it together.”

Betts also worked at a gas station where Howell would sometimes stop in to grab a drink.

“He was normal there, too,” he said. “He kept on a professional face.”

He and his friends frequent the Oregon District where, authorities say, Betts opened fire overnight and left nine dead. Police officers in the area fatally shot Betts within a minute. After getting off work on Saturday night, Howell had decided against heading to Oregon. Hours later, he heard the news.

“I think this is less of a hate crime and more of an ‘I hate everybody’ crime,” Howell said. “I honestly feel more comfortable now knowing that he’s gone.”

[...]

A Bellbrook man who said he knew Betts for nearly two decades said that he knew him as a nice and quiet person.

“The Connor Betts that I know was a nice kid,” the man said. “The Connor Betts that I talked to I always got along with well.”

The pair rode the bus together and mainly talked about music and pop culture.

The man said that he hadn’t seen Betts since graduation, but that he spoke to him a about 10 months ago.

He said it was a casual conversation and wasn’t aware of any possible personal issues going on in Betts’ life.

While he didn’t know if Betts had any mental health issues, the man said he thought the shooting reinforced the need to talk openly about mental health.

“The biggest thing is to focus on mental health and to help people who are going through the problems and going through the struggles,” he said.

Dayton shooting: Oregon District suspect identified as Connor Betts

The gunman who attacked a bar in Dayton, Ohio, on Sunday morning killed his sister in the massacre, officials said.

Connor Betts, 24, of Ohio was identified as the deceased gunman by authorities during a Sunday afternoon press conference. Betts killed his sister, 22-year-old Megan, and eight other people, officials added. At least 26 other people were injured.

Betts drove to the site of the shooting with his sister and an unidentified male companion, according to Police Chief Richard Biehl. Betts killed his sister and wounded the companion, who is now reportedly cooperating with police. According to two law enforcement sources who spoke to CNN, authorities do not believe the companion knew about the attack in advance.

Betts opened fire outside of a bar called Ned Peppers in the city’s Oregon District, a downtown hub filled with bars, clubs, restaurants and galleries. Authorities said police officers responded within one minute of the gunfire erupting and killed Betts as he attempted to enter the bar with a rifle, body armor and high-capacity magazine.

Dayton Shooter Murdered Sister in Attack, Officials Say

megan-and-connor.jpg

Megan and her brother pictured together in May 2017.

Connor and Megan are the only two children of Stephen and Moira Betts of Bellbrook, Ohio, located around 15 miles south of downtown Dayton.

Stephen and Moira Betts were married in December 1988, according to Stephen Betts’ Facebook page. Stephen Betts works as the technical lead for a technologies company.

Less than 24 hours after the shooting, police served a search warrant in Bellbrook. A neighbor of the family told the Associated Press that he would regularly see the suspect mowing the lawn or walking the family dog. That neighbor, S C, said, “The Connor Betts that I knew was a nice kid.” Police Chief Richard Biehl said during a press conference that investigators have had contact with Stephen and Moira Betts.

Megan Betts, Connor Betts’ Sister: 5 Fast Facts | Heavy.com

ETA: Edit neighbors name to initials by me

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads