OH - 9 killed + Gunman, 16 injured, Mass Shooting, Oregon District, Dayton, 4 Aug 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still waiting for LE to undercover whether or not CB received any professional counseling
or help with his long brewing anger and misplaced thoughts which look to be long standing based on reports of problems in early
high school years.
Were his problems ignored and just covered up?
The ex gf who described his bedroom as being
painted black and like a private dungeon, and
a mess and chaotic.
I still think we're seeing a troubled young man
who did not get the help or attention he needed
and parents were too busy with their own outside activities, jobs, advanced schooling, clubs, partying and the kid was left to deal with his problems himself.
Did his parents even know he had the high powered weapon and ammo?
Did his sister know?
Was his dungeon off limits to other family members?
Were his parents aware of his long time drug
use? His other friends were.
How involved were other family members in
his day to day life? Or were they simply individuals living under the same roof?
I hope we get a clearer picture of how his lifestyle was in recent years.

Was he an adult, on the day of the shooting? Yes

Did he know that murder was wrong? I'm guessing here, but I'd say, yes.

Shooter is the only person to blame.

Yeah, that needs to stop, IF people are interested in prevention.

Proposals that don't address prevention haven't produced any positive results in recent years. Shutting the barn door after the cow got out, etc.

Over 30 million Americans can't get health insurance and most people with mental illness end up in jail, not treatment.

Other developed countries like England, Canada and Australia have a lot they can teach us.

JMO.

Ohio GOP Lawmaker Blames Mass Shootings On Trans People, Gay Marriage And More | HuffPost
I want to cry. Where did we go wrong? When did our leaders become our enemies?
The Huff Post title is misleading. This is her exact quote. She blamed mass shooting issues on.....

"The breakdown of the traditional American family (thank you, transgender, homosexual marriage, and drag queen advocates); fatherlessness, a subject no one discuses or believes is relevant; the ignoring of violent video games; the relaxing of laws against criminals (open borders); the acceptance of recreational marijuana; failed school policies (hello parents who defend misbehaving students); disrespect to law enforcement (thank you, Obama); hatred of our veterans (thank you, professional athletes who hate our flag and National Anthem); the Dem Congress, many members whom are open anti-Semitic; the culture, which totally ignores the importance of God and the church (until they elect a President); state officeholders, who have no interest whatsoever in learning about our Constitution and the Second Amendement; and snowflakes, who can’t accept a duly-elected President. "

Last edited:
Racism, misogyny: US authorities probe motives of pair of gunmen

One was fueled by racist hatred of immigrants and warned of a "Hispanic invasion." The other's motives are less clear but he apparently resented women and compiled a "hit list" of girls in high school.

Police and the FBI were trying to piece together on Tuesday what drove two young American men to commit unspeakable acts of carnage over the weekend.

Our society has gotten so violent. It's been going on for a while. In the 90s, my son had a parents day at his school. I think it was 5th grade. In the library, the school had a rack of "books" written by the students. They were stapled paper with illustrations all hand done by students. I thought it was a wonderful idea, and started looking at them. I was horrified. They were full of death, violence, pictures of people being killed. I can't remember the 60s and 70s being that way in my schools.

I wish people obsessed as much about getting the millions of illegal firearms off the streets, and out of communities as they do about changing gun control laws for over 150 million law abiding gunowners. Especially when the overwhelming vast majority of them never harm a soul, and have actually saved many lives including saving police officers who were caught in a crossfire with criminals.

Jmho
I take your arguments. If illegal guns are removed, murders and mass murders will certainly decrease.

Thank you for looking that up. I think the definition will come in handy when we discuss these cases (though I would be very pleased never to have cases like this again to discuss!).

So, if a killer is angry and kills a bunch of people with the intention of simply displaying anger, or if a killer targets a specific group like women, ethnic group, etc. then that is not terrorism (even if terrifying) under the legal definition because the elements in the legal definition are not present.

jmo

jmo

Yes, domestic terrorism DOES apply when killers target groups in the civilian population.

We should use it. Also heavily regulate access to, quantity and type of ammo.
Minimum 3 wk waiting period. Small quantities with caps on total amount per yr. Ban the sale and manufacture of heavy duty ammo. Like we used to.

El Paso legally purchased his.
Not referring to the AR but a gun given to one of the shooter as a gift when he was like 14 yes old. I don't know if that story was confirmed or proven false.

The Huff Post title is misleading. This is her exact quote. She blamed mass shooting issues on.....

"The breakdown of the traditional American family (thank you, transgender, homosexual marriage, and drag queen advocates); fatherlessness, a subject no one discuses or believes is relevant; the ignoring of violent video games; the relaxing of laws against criminals (open borders); the acceptance of recreational marijuana; failed school policies (hello parents who defend misbehaving students); disrespect to law enforcement (thank you, Obama); hatred of our veterans (thank you, professional athletes who hate our flag and National Anthem); the Dem Congress, many members whom are open anti-Semitic; the culture, which totally ignores the importance of God and the church (until they elect a President); state officeholders, who have no interest whatsoever in learning about our Constitution and the Second Amendement; and snowflakes, who can’t accept a duly-elected President. "
Yes, I read her full statement on her Facebook post.
I know we can't get into political discussions, but I'll just leave it at that I and many of my family members are a part of some of the stated groups (+ my veteran dad who supports the whole kneeling thing), and we have functioned normally. IMO this was incredibly unprofessional and shows what she truly thinks of the majority of Americans.

I keep thinking about the parents. I hope they are getting help. They've lost everything. At least that is how I'd feel if I lost my children. And the other horror is that one of your children massacred many others, as well as the only other sibling. I cannot imagine!

https://www.modbee.com/news/article233569732.html

A bar manager credits the quick actions of employees with helping to save lives as a gunman opened fire in an Ohio nightclub district over the weekend.

Dane Thomas was the manager on duty at Ned Peppers bar and grill in Dayton's Oregon entertainment district Sunday when a man armed with an AR-15 style gun killed nine people. A bouncer at the front alerted the staff to the shooter, and employees inside hustled the crowd of people inside out the back way.

Thomas tells WCPO-TV in Cincinnati he and other employees have gone through a Dayton police safety program to prepare for an active shooter situation.

Yes, domestic terrorism DOES apply when killers target groups in the civilian population.

We should use it. Also heavily regulate access to, quantity and type of ammo.
Minimum 3 wk waiting period. Small quantities with caps on total amount per yr. Ban the sale and manufacture of heavy duty ammo. Like we used to.

People target shoot, and go through many hundreds of rounds in a session.

I don’t think that’s a feasible option, nor is it one that would gain any sort of momentum.

I read a good article today that suggested something like a “gun violence restraining order.”

Who knows how effective it would be, but it makes both sides happy.

It (atleast temporarily) prevents the sale of firearms to people who have committed certain offenses, or have certain red flags present.

It would require someone close to them to report it, but at the same time affords due process (the lack of is usually a major sticking point for some groups).

This is something that could actually prevent some attacks, as opposed to merely limiting their lethality.

So, everyone but the shooter. I know a lot of folks who fit into these areas, and who were snowflakes about Obama, too, yet they didn't go blowing up malls, bars, and schools. This lies at the shooter's feet, and his alone. She's just looking to blame others.

Yes, I read her full statement on her Facebook post.
I know we can't get into political discussions, but I'll just leave it at that I and many of my family members are a part of some of the stated groups (+ my veteran dad who supports the whole kneeling thing), and we have functioned normally. IMO this was incredibly unprofessional and shows what she truly thinks of the majority of Americans.

Same. I have a very varied family and inlaws, politically, socially, lifestyles, etc... She's allowed to speak her peace, and I'm allowed to think she's incredibly unprofessional, but, at least by not shouting her down, we know what she believes now. I'd rather them speak very openly, I know who they are when I go to the polls.

People target shoot, and go through many hundreds of rounds in a session.

I don’t think that’s a feasible option, nor is it one that would gain any sort of momentum.

I read a good article today that suggested something like a “gun violence restraining order.”

Who knows how effective it would be, but it makes both sides happy.

It (atleast temporarily) prevents the sale of firearms to people who have committed certain offenses, or have certain red flags present.

It would require someone close to them to report it, but at the same time affords due process (the lack of is usually a major sticking point for some groups).

This is something that could actually prevent some attacks, as opposed to merely limiting their lethality.

I think that HR8, which just passed the house, may be of some help too, if it passes the Senate. It will prevent person to person sales. If I sell a firearm to Joe Blow, he and I would have to go to a gun shop, or wherever, and have a background check done. I would never sell to an individual, but a lot will. I think it would close the gun show loophole too, iirc, since that is person to person.

JMO still weak tea. State budget is notoriously stingy for any health funding, including non federal mental health funding. Its filtered through multiple layers of private contractors and middlemen, with just a trickle coming out at the end. Have worked with professionals in this field in OH.

Going after straw purchasers also seems ineffective. You're only going to punish someone after the crime has been committed and people are dead. Then its up to local LE to try to backtrack and unravel the mess, something most don't have the time or resources to do. DeWine probably knows this already.

Wouldn't it be great to see Ohio enact bans that target the sellers, tracking all records of dealers shipping ammo, etc into OH? Subjecting gun dealers and retailers to surprise inspections for weapons and ammo sales every month and shutting them down for violations, just like they do with restaurants ?

Banning gun shows and sale of weapons and ammo at flea markets, etc.?

Go after the big fish in the supply chain and especially dry up ammo sales.
Opinions - A criminal could care less about all your new or current law proposals, now or in the future. Just a waste of time and money. It is against the law to kill people already.................moo

There was a girl in my daughter’s middle school who had a hit list and was captured on video saying she was going to bring a gun to school to kill them. It was reported to authorities and they severely punished her...with half a day of out of school suspension.

They sent out a statement saying that the matter was confidential but the school was assuring us that the incident was being investigated and no “legitimate” threat was found, because she didn’t have access to a gun.

As if they would have actually known if she did? I was furious. Our district had several incidents of guns and knives brought to school last year along with threats and nothing is done. Maybe a day of out of school suspension.

It terrifies me.

I have seen students permanently expelled from an entire school district for less!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trendtonone