TX - 22 killed, 26 injured at Walmart, Cielo Vista, El Paso, 3 Aug 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been more mass shootings than days this year
The amount of mass shootings across the U.S. so far in 2019 has outpaced the number of days this year, according to a gun violence research group. This puts 2019 on pace to be the first year since 2016 with an average of more than one mass shooting a day.

[...]

The toll of 255 mass shootings include five high-profile massacres in the past eight days, in which more than 100 people have been shot:
  • A shooting in a historic district of Dayton, Ohio, with nine people killed and 27 injured.
  • A shooting at Walmart in El Paso, Texas, with 22 people killed and at least 24 wounded. It was the deadliest shooting of the year.
  • A shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in the San Francisco Bay Area, with three people killed and 15 injured.
[...]

The last time the mass shooting toll topped days of the year was 2016, which had 382 mass shootings — the most in any year since the Gun Violence Archive started keeping track. The past two years came close, with 346 mass shootings in 2017 and 340 in 2018.

#MAKEITSTOP :(

I think this is incorrect.

There have been at least 17 deadly mass shootings in the US so far in 2019

(Snip)
The two shootings, first in El Paso, Texas, and then in Dayton, Ohio, are the latest instances of deadly mass shootings in 2019, bringing the total number of such incidents up to at least 17 — an average of one every 12.7 days this year.

(Snip)
The two shootings, first in El Paso, Texas, and then in Dayton, Ohio, are the latest instances of deadly mass shootings in 2019, bringing the total number of such incidents up to at least 17 — an average of one every 12.7 days this year.
Different criteria, obviously. I don't know anything about that group but their methodology is explained here: Gun Violence Archive MOO

(Snip)
Presidents and Mass Shootings
There is a photo here. I can't upload it. It's in the middle of the article.
Not counting the last three, I believe it was 52 since 1966.
So...55 now.
Imo

I'm a little behind here, so I can't remember if it was you or someone else who brought up SSRIs earlier regarding the recent mass shootings.

First, has there been any reporting that any of the shooters were taking SSRIs? If so I missed it so I would appreciate a link.

Second, I'm nearly 60 years old, and I've taken SSRIs more than half my life to deal with my debilitating depression, and I've gone on and off different ones during that time period, and never once have I had a desire to become a mass murderer. Not even a single murderer.

This feels very much to me like stigmatizing people who rely on SSRIs for some kind of quality of life as potential mass murderers when the vast majority of us wouldn't dream of such an action.
It might have been me that brought it up. As far as I know, in the recent shootings, no they weren't involved. There's been some though that have involved them in one way or another. There's a site that has a lot of info, I'll see if I can find it when I get off.

I think the majority of people who take them aren't affected in that way. There are some who are though and unfortunately they end up committing heinous crimes.

It might have been me that brought it up. As far as I know, in the recent shootings, no they weren't involved. There's been some though that have involved them in one way or another. There's a site that has a lot of info, I'll see if I can find it when I get off.

I think the majority of people who take them aren't affected in that way. There are some who are though and unfortunately they end up committing heinous crimes.
Then I'm super confused as to why you brought it up if no one has suggested SSRIs are a factor here.

What to Do if You Are Caught in a Store Shooting

Shooters will look for soft targets, Walmart is obviously one,” he said, adding to always make a mental note of all the possible hiding spots in case of an emergency.

He suggested the stockroom as an option. “All bets are off, it says, ‘Do Not Enter,’ if you need to get away, you go in there,” he said.

Videos from the Walmart in El Paso show shoppers taking shelter on the floor but Stanton said to run.

“If you can see a shooter they can see you,” he said. “You gotta get out of that sightline as soon as possible.”

While there is some good advice here, the original statement that Walmart is a soft target where people "cannot defend themselves" isn't really accurate. I've seen a video going around stating this and also saw people correcting the misinformation.

"Earlier this year, when open carry became the law of the land in Texas, Walmart corporate enacted this practice. Managers on duty are now tasked with confirming that open carriers have proper licensing in addition to everything else in their job descriptions.

Brian Nick, the senior director of national media relations for Walmart, says this practice is currently in place in Walmart stores across Texas that sell alcohol (in Texas’ case, that means beer and wine).

“We will continue to allow customers to carry firearms on Walmart property as long as they follow local, state and federal firearm laws,” Nick says.

“In line with Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission requirements, our stores that sell alcoholic beverages will not allow customers to carry non-licensed handguns or long-arms into our facilities.”

Texas Open Carry gun advocate, Walmart worker clash over handgun in store

Then I'm super confused as to why you brought it up if no one has suggested SSRIs are a factor here.
Some had said mental illness doesn't play much of a factor in mass killings when several of these shooters were know to have mental issues and quite a few of them had been on antidepressants/SSRIs or had recently stopped taking them.

I'm not saying they were a cause in this shooting or the main cause of the shootings in which the perpetrators were on or had recently been on them but with the number of how many shooters had been on them and the number of cases of other violence, it's definitely a factor.

It's not done to stigmatize people who are them as the huge majority of people who do take them don't commit any sort of crime. But there is a minute portion of people who do take them that end up committing violent crimes. Look at some of the side effects of these drugs and you have to wonder about how much of a role they do play

Some had said mental illness doesn't play much of a factor in mass killings when several of these shooters were know to have mental issues and quite a few of them had been on antidepressants/SSRIs or had recently stopped taking them.

I'm not saying they were a cause in this shooting or the main cause of the shootings in which the perpetrators were on or had recently been on them but with the number of how many shooters had been on them and the number of cases of other violence, it's definitely a factor.

It's not done to stigmatize people who are them as the huge majority of people who do take them don't commit any sort of crime. But there is a minute portion of people who do take them that end up committing violent crimes. Look at some of the side effects of these drugs and you have to wonder about how much of a role they do play
Maybe you're talking about Benzodiazepines (but should still provide a link), which are highly addictive and if taken with alcohol and/or illicit drugs can have negative side effects. I can't imagine SSRIs under any circumstances would cause anyone to become violent, abusive or a mass murderer. I'd like to see a link to this claim or theory.

El Paso, with deep Mexican American past, rallies amid pain

EL PASO, TEXAS - AUGUST 06: People gather at a makeshift memorial honoring victims outside Walmart, near the scene of a mass shooting which left at least 22 people dead, on August 6, 2019 in El Paso, Texas. A 21-year-old white male suspect remains in custody in El Paso, which sits along the U.S.-Mexico border. President Donald Trump plans to visit the city August 7. (Photo by Mario Tama/Getty Images)

Walmart CEO pledges 'thoughtful and deliberate' response to El Paso mass shooting - CNN

“New York (CNN Business)Walmart CEO Doug McMillon says the company will respond in a "thoughtful and deliberate" way to the recent fatal shootings at its stores.

But in a post on LinkedIn late Tuesday, he offered no details and company officials say Walmart's policy on gun sales has not changed. “

Snip

“In the wake of the shootings, many people have called on Walmart(WMT) to stop selling firearms. Walmart is one of the largest sellers of guns and ammunition in the United States. The retailer does not sell all types of weapons: It stopped selling assault style rifles in 2015. It only sells handguns in Alaska and last year it stopped selling any gun to a person younger than 21 years old.”
-more at link

——

Walmart under pressure to stop selling guns in wake of latest shooting massacres - CNN

Walmart CEO pledges 'thoughtful and deliberate' response to El Paso mass shooting - CNN

“New York (CNN Business)Walmart CEO Doug McMillon says the company will respond in a "thoughtful and deliberate" way to the recent fatal shootings at its stores.

But in a post on LinkedIn late Tuesday, he offered no details and company officials say Walmart's policy on gun sales has not changed. “

Snip

“In the wake of the shootings, many people have called on Walmart(WMT) to stop selling firearms. Walmart is one of the largest sellers of guns and ammunition in the United States. The retailer does not sell all types of weapons: It stopped selling assault style rifles in 2015. It only sells handguns in Alaska and last year it stopped selling any gun to a person younger than 21 years old.”
-more at link

——

Walmart under pressure to stop selling guns in wake of latest shooting massacres - CNN

If Walmart decides to forsake it's gun owning customers to do something that "feels good", yet accomplishes nothing, then they will face the same backlash as Dick's Sporting Goods.

Maybe you're talking about Benzodiazepines (but should still provide a link), which are highly addictive and if taken with alcohol and/or illicit drugs can have negative side effects. I can't imagine SSRIs under any circumstances would cause anyone to become violent, abusive or a mass murderer. I'd like to see a link to this claim or theory.
No I'm talking about SSRIs, they can have very serious side effects including aggression, hostility, violence suicide, suicidal thoughts, and murderous thoughts. The side effects are well known and have been for quite a while.

James Holmes was on 150 mg of sertraline(generic Zoloft) a day near the end as they increased his dosage up to that point, his journal reflected what it was doing to him. He stopped 20 days before the shooting.

Jeff Weise, Red Lake school shooter was on 60mg of Prozac a day

NIU shooter had been on Prozac and stopped. His girlfriend said it made him a totally different person

Kip Kinkel was on Prozac

Eric Harris had used both Zoloft and Luvox.

Andrea Yates was on Effexor

Ivan Lopez, second ft hood shooter was an on antidepressants.

Va Tech shooter was on Prozac at the time.

Cascade Mall shooter was on Prozac

Is it Drugs Not Guns that Cause Violence?

Psychiatric Drugs and Violence: A Review of FDA Data Finds A Link
Antidepressants and Violence: Problems at the Interface of Medicine and Law

Peter Breggin has written about the topic a lot and offers up a lot of insight into it
https://www.google.com/search?q=pet...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Its something that doesn't get talked about and serious research needs to be done into it considering the number of cases, not just mass shootings but violent acts, where the person had been on, had their dosages increased or had stopped taking them. Doctors say those are the times when people are at risk when taking them

Last edited:
No I'm talking about SSRIs, they can have very serious side effects including aggression, hostility, violence suicide, suicidal thoughts, and murderous thoughts. The side effects are well known and have been for quite a while.

James Holmes was on 150 mg of sertraline(generic Zoloft) a day near the end as they increased his dosage up to that point, his journal reflected what it was doing to him. He stopped 20 days before the shooting.

Jeff Weise, Red Lake school shooter was on 60mg of Prozac a day

NIU shooter had been on Prozac and stopped. His girlfriend said it made him a totally different person

Kip Kinkel was on Prozac

Eric Harris had used both Zoloft and Luvox.

Andrea Yates was on Effexor

Ivan Lopez, second ft hood shooter was an on antidepressants.

Va Tech shooter was on Prozac at the time.

Cascade Mall shooter was on Prozac

Is it Drugs Not Guns that Cause Violence?

Psychiatric Drugs and Violence: A Review of FDA Data Finds A Link
Antidepressants and Violence: Problems at the Interface of Medicine and Law

Peter Breggin has written about the topic a lot and offers up a lot of insight into it
https://www.google.com/search?q=pet...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Its something that doesn't get talked about and serious research needs to be done into it considering the number of cases, not just mass shootings but violent acts, where the person had been on, had their dosages increased or had stopped taking them. Doctors say those are the times when people are at risk when taking them
Has it been reported the monster in the case was on psychiatric meds? I may have missed it with so much info and this post may be OT.

In SOME people these medications can have serious adverse side effects. However in most cases, the symptoms are noticed when the person BEGINS taking the medication, therefore the medication can be changed to something the individual can tolerate.
It does beg the "which came first? the chicken or the egg" question. Did people on these medications commit violent acts because of the medications OR because of the underlying mental health issues or personality disorders the medications were used to treat? I believe it's the latter. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing this isn't being done anywhere, but... I wish there was some kind of study/screening of these killers to see any differences or similarities in their brains. Most, if not all of these mass killers have been young males who were either taking or had taken drugs for some disorder. It seems obvious to me that there is more of an adverse affect on males than females who have taken any of those drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member