TX - 22 killed, 26 injured at Walmart, Cielo Vista, El Paso, 3 Aug 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was another possibility of a shooting at a WalMart in Missouri which was thwarted. I think it was handled very well. People in WalMart heard a fire alarm and were told to leave the store. There was a worker asking everyone to leave the store and an overhead announcement of a fire.
Young man walked into WalMart heavily armed and in body armor and military fatigues. He was recording himself while pushing a shopping cart. A manager pulled the fire alarm. "He faces a charge of making a terrorist threat in the first degree, the police department said on Twitter."
Armed man arrested at Missouri Walmart - CNN

There was another possibility of a shooting in Missouri thwarted. I think it was handled very well. People in WalMart heard a fire alarm and were told to leave the store. There was a worker asking everyone to leave the store and an overhead announcement of a fire..
Young man walked into WalMart heavily armed and in body armor and military fatigues. He was recording himself while pushing a shopping cart. A manager pulled the fire alarm. "He faces a charge of making a terrorist threat in the first degree, the police department said on Twitter."
Armed man arrested at Missouri Walmart - CNN

We have a thread on this

MO - Off-duty firefighter stops man armed w/ 100 rounds of ammo at S Springfield Walmart 08 Aug 2019

Yes, even the experts don't agree on whether or not SSRI's can increase violent behavior. There's just not enough research.
Some believe that some patients already have a tendency towards violence, and the medication just gives them the motivation or the courage to commit violent acts.
Although some studies show that these meds increase violent behavior and sucide, it's not enough to prove there is a significant correlation.
Also, the increased tendency for violence or suicide was only seen in children, teens, and young adults. Imo
Thats why I said more research needs to be done on the issue because it's starting to become more and more common.

While some have shown tendency towards violence others haven't. It's believed they change a person's thinking to remove the inhibitions and fear of consequences.

It's not just limited to the children teens and young adults, the rates for those are just much much higher. It's much more rare among adults but it still happens

Thats why I said more research needs to be done on the issue because it's starting to become more and more common.

While some have shown tendency towards violence others haven't. It's believed they change a person's thinking to remove the inhibitions and fear of consequences.

It's not just limited to the children teens and young adults, the rates for those are just much much higher. It's much more rare among adults but it still happens
Yes, you explained it better than I did, it basically removes the inhibitions, is what some experts believe.
Although there has been no definitive research that confirms that.
It's actually rare even in young adults.
Depending on what you read, antidepressants, like SSRI's have been shown to help up to seventy percent of people suffering from depression.

And yes, more research needs to be done, as almost every single study ends with, "More research needs to be done in order to determine whether or not SSRI's lead to violent behaviors..." or something along those lines.

I haven't seen any studies indicating the risk with older adults, however. All that I've seen pertain to teens or young adults, hence the need for the warning. Imo

Last edited:
Just saw this in WaPo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...babf2c-817b-40a3-a79e-e56fbac94cd5_story.html

ALLEN, Tex. — Patrick Crusius watched the sprawling north suburbs of Dallas where he grew up dramatically change over the course of his short life. The number of Hispanic residents soared, while the non-Hispanic white population plummeted from nearly 80 percent to just more than half. Diversity flourished across Collin County, in its restaurants, shops, neighborhoods and in the public schools, where one high school welcomed both a new black student union and a prayer center for Muslims and others.

Authorities think Crusius, 21, closely noted the shift and spent countless hours on the Internet studying the white supremacist theory known as “the great replacement.” And then, after hanging out with family members late last week, he jumped in his car with his newly purchased assault-style rifle and made the 10-hour drive to El Paso, where, authorities say, he fatally shot 22 people and injured dozens at a shopping center on Saturday near the Mexican border to stop “the Hispanic invasion of Texas,” according to a statement police think he posted online shortly before the attack.

Yes, even the experts don't agree on whether or not SSRI's can increase violent behavior. There's just not enough research.
Some believe that some patients already have a tendency towards violence, and the medication just gives them the motivation or the courage to commit violent acts.
Although some studies show that these meds increase violent behavior and sucide, it's not enough to prove there is a significant correlation.
Also, the increased tendency for violence or suicide was only seen in children, teens, and young adults. Imo

Well, let us start with this, people are put on SSRIs for a reason. Depression, anxiety, anger, whatnot. So there is a history of some emotional problems before SSRIs. And often, a family history, too.

Can SSRIs increase violent behavior in some people? All psychoactive substances potentially can do it. And not only “traditional” psychoactives - even birth control medications can do it, in isolated cases.

The real question is, the proportion of SSRIs increasing violent behavior/SSRI decreasing violent behavior. And this is a very difficult question to answer.

(It is like with the statement, “SSRIs can increase suicidal thoughts”. They may, and have. But they might have saved far more lives.)

He had several evaluations throughout his childhood and ultimately was evaluated extensively at Yale University.

I've posted about this before, but the medical experts at Yale University called for drastic measures, hospital programs, special education, medication, and rigorous ongoing therapy which went largely unheeded. It was found that his mother tried to appease and accomadate his disabilities rather than treat them.
Even after he finished high school when his health was deteriorating, he was allowed to have access to numerous firearms in his home.

So yes, his condition was left untreated, but he still had numerous evaluations and had therapy in high school.
The report you are referring to and the quote in your post is the same I have referenced in another thread. The report is about 112 pages long, and it is documented that he had extensive evaluations and was treated by both psychologists and psychiatrists.

But yes, it was not for lack of seeking out several mental health facilities to seek treatment, it was that everything the experts recommended went mostly unheeded. Doctors insisted that it was crucial that he take medication to control his symptoms, but his mother stopped giving them to him after one day because she said they made him severely ill.

So it is accurate that he was treated, and also accurate that the treatment was not followed through with. Imo

Also, he was homeschooled, and that furthered his isolation. He may have suffered from an eating disorder. All of it was never addressed.

The mother hoarded rifles and took Adam to the shooting range. This alone is telling.

Well, let us start with this, people are put on SSRIs for a reason. Depression, anxiety, anger, whatnot. So there is a history of some emotional problems before SSRIs. And often, a family history, too.

Can SSRIs increase violent behavior in some people? All psychoactive substances potentially can do it. And not only “traditional” psychoactives - even birth control medications can do it, in isolated cases.

The real question is, the proportion of SSRIs increasing violent behavior/SSRI decreasing violent behavior. And this is a very difficult question to answer.

(It is like with the statement, “SSRIs can increase suicidal thoughts”. They may, and have. But they might have saved far more lives.)

Don't know if this has been discussed, but SSRIs cannot be given to people with bipolar disorder. It makes them manic. If someone is psychotic with mania and part of their psychosis is paranoia and violence, I imagine it could add to or increase that psychosis or violence. I haven't been able to keep up with this thread, so I don't know if this guy was diagnosed, so the problem with SSRIs could be that it's given to people where maybe a diagnosis of bipolar has been missed before they are prescribed.

All IMO based on knowing about bipolar and SSRIs.

Antidepressants in Bipolar Disorder

Don't know if this has been discussed, but SSRIs cannot be given to people with bipolar disorder. It makes them manic. If someone is psychotic with mania and part of their psychosis is paranoia and violence, I imagine it could add to or increase that psychosis or violence. I haven't been able to keep up with this thread, so I don't know if this guy was diagnosed, so the problem with SSRIs could be that it's given to people where maybe a diagnosis of bipolar has been missed before they are prescribed.

I wonder what the difference is in Europe and European colonies. Does Japan use these drugs?

MOO Mass killing by rifles was invented in Texas, the Texas Tower Sniper, 1966.
MOO School mass killing by rifle was invented in Jonesboro Arkansas 1998. Those 2 killers got out of juvenile detention after 7 and 9 years respectively.

Right, there is not enough evidence to show there is a definite correlation.

Whereas, alcohol and other drugs like meth, do show a potential to increase violent activity.

One thing they do know is that these medications, including SSRI's do help many people with symptoms. The benefit still far outweighs the risk. Imo

Also, he was homeschooled, and that furthered his isolation. He may have suffered from an eating disorder. All of it was never addressed.

The mother hoarded rifles and took Adam to the shooting range. This alone is telling.
Yes, some of his doctors believe that his untreated anorexia may have caused brain damage. Imo

Yeah, that's another big problem.
Many patients are misdiagnosed and giving them the wrong medication can be dangerous. Imo

Yes, some of his doctors believe that his untreated anorexia may have caused brain damage. Imo

MOO Adam Lanza wanted to compete for killer fame. He decided to kill and he did it even as the staff died trying to resist him.
MOO everyone has reasons why they act. They also have reasons they don't.

Last edited:
MOO Adam Lanza wanted to compete for killer fame. He decided to kill and he did it even as the staff died truing to resist him.
MOO everyone has reasons why they act. They also have reasons they don't.
Yeah, he had multiple diagnosis so they may never know what his true state of mind was. He was definitely not normal.

And some wonder why people don't want to give up their guns. If not for the recent shootings, this would have been released.

The violent, gun-toting film revolves around a group people from predominately Republican states being kidnapped and hunted for sport by liberal elites.

GLOW's Betty Gilpin stars opposite Hilary Swank, the two leads playing women on different political divides in an exaggerated re-imagining.

Universal pulls plug on controversial movie The Hunt following mass shootings | Daily Mail Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500