Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
@gigitty post from last thread
"i have been watching this story since it started and even joined websleuths to be able to share certain thoughts. one of my first thoughts was looking at the burned out truck. i can not help but notice that the frame is bent, you can see the bed of the truck on the drivers side sitting eneven from the passanger, that bed is bolted to the frame and fire would not be able to bend a truck frame. the roof is questionable at best, yes metal will bend in fire but you can cleasrly see the strongest part of the roof is fractured and broken.i belive that type of fatigue and sharp creases in the metal is not the result of a fire. i have had the privelage of working as an auto mechanic for a few years as well as a volunteer firemen for the past 20 years, so needless to say i have seen my share of car fires and looking at that scene i can tell you somthings not right"

in your opinion what if anything would remain of fiberglass camper?

Yes! Perhaps Bryer was good at pulling the wool over his dad’s eyes as well. Convincing his dad that it was always someone else’s fault, teachers were out to get him etc. It’s quite common with kids Who have behavioural issues and get into trouble often. They get to the point that they will do anything to avoid consequences so they lie and manipulate.
I think it's also pretty common for kids in Bryer's situation to become skilled at manipulating the various factions in their family. His homelife really does sound like it was pretty chaotic, and I imagine a lot of his family felt sorry for him and were inclined to indulge him. His mother's former coworker said something similar, and the expensive gifts from his father who is living in a van seem to indicate that was probably true for both parents.

I've noticed he has a tendency to try to deflect criticism of Bryer, which makes sense--it's his kid. But I get the impression that, as a result, Bryer probably never had consequences for any of his actions in his dad's eyes.
I suspect there is also a bit of absent father guilt there too...look at these expensive things AS got his son: the air soft gun, the tower computer for gaming (pretty sure AS said he bought that in the interview with CHEK tv), and in the last text message on July 12 to Bryer, AS mentions a $100 bottle of cologne he had just picked up for BS.

When it was reported that BS played a lot of Rust, I actually watched a few YouTube streams of Rust players on the off chance one of BS’s usernames popped up. I was hoping to get just a little snippet of him, maybe a sample of some of this ingame doxxing/trash talk that was reported about him.

I didn’t watch very long...those are brain cells I’ll never get back.

BTW, claims that Rust can teach any sort of skills beyond running around nude with a rock seem overinflated.
Ha ha ha.... love it!

I suspect there is also a bit of absent father guilt there too...look at these expensive things AS got his son: the air soft gun, the tower computer for gaming (pretty sure AS said he bought that in the interview with CHEK tv), and in the last text message on July 12 to Bryer, AS mentions a $100 bottle of cologne he had just picked up for BS.
Yes, I'm sure it was! I think Bryer still probably had some underlying resentment toward his father, too, though they ostensibly were getting along. I noticed that he didn't bother telling his dad they were leaving on the 12th, despite knowing that would have been when he would come to visit, though at the very least, the day before he was telling his great-uncle and grandma he was leaving. That struck me as quite rude--I would never do that to my dad, but he and I are very close. It seemed really passive-aggressive to me, actually.

Edited to add: He also apparently responded to messages from grandma early in the trip but never even viewed his father's attempts to contact him.

ACCORDING TO AUS 9NEWS - LEONARD DYCK WAS SHOT

Aug 11, 2019

"I never gave him a real gun. I never gave him a gun that would kill someone."

Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod were wanted over the deaths of three people, including Australian man Lucas Fowler and his American girlfriend, Chynna Deese.

They were connected to the crimes after local university Professor Leonard Dyck was found shot dead on the side of a highway in regional far north Canada. bbm

Dad of Lucas Fowler's alleged killer gave son rifle 'for play'

ETA: AUS news were first to report that Lucas and Chynna were shot dead. After this report, RCMP announced the couple died of gun violence.
Perhaps RCMP will now confirm the same about Leonard Dyck.

It's absent father guilt that becomes Bryer's guilt for being gifted expensive gifts from a homeless father. No 18 year old wants to be in that position.

Aug 11, 2019

Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod were wanted over the deaths of three people, including Australian man Lucas Fowler and his American girlfriend, Chynna Deese.

They were connected to the crimes after local university Professor Leonard Dyck was found shot dead on the side of a highway in regional far north Canada.

ETA: AUS news were first to report that Lucas and Chynna were shot dead. After this report, RCMP announced the couple died of gun violence.

It was LD's family that didn't want the COD to be released.

Yes, I'm sure it was! I think Bryer still probably had some underlying resentment toward his father, too, though they ostensibly were getting along. I noticed that he didn't bother telling his dad they were leaving on the 12th, despite knowing that would have been when he would come to visit, though at the very least, the day before he was telling his great-uncle and grandma he was leaving. That struck me as quite rude--I would never do that to my dad, but he and I are very close. It seemed really passive-aggressive to me, actually.

Edited to add: He also apparently responded to messages from grandma early in the trip but never even viewed his father's attempts to contact him.
A completely out there thought just occurred to me, and likely waaaay too far out on a very slender limb, but...

Could BS’s self-identification as Russian on Steam and his using a fake Russian accent while gaming, etc. be a reaction to the fact that his dad is of Ukrainian heritage and was a little jab at his dad’s family’s past? The whole Russians hating Ukrainians and vice versa? A little dad-hatred?

I mean it is far more likely that BS just had a mish mash of Slavic stuff going on and didn’t even know much about the history of the area, and only thought his name sounded Russian until his dad corrected him.

But just thought I’d throw that out there.

@1987 imo, i would expect to see some trace amounts of white fibers blown around but thats about it, once fiberglass gets burning its extremely hard to extinguish, and would really only leave a few stains where the last of the melted fiberglass resin pooled up and burned away

I think because grandparents are older and mellower, they remain somewhat neutral, forgiving and trusting of grandchildren.

AS is a weird mix of poor judgment, guilelessness, probable substance abuse, and at times astute insight often out of reach of normal parents. It’s really quite a confounding melange.
That is an excellent summation. It is baffling. When I prepare myself for him to be really off-the-wall, he surprises me. But then when I assume that is a new normal for him, he often reverts back to the previous behavior that came off really badly.

I was surprised at how calmly he accepted the suggestion that there was a side of his son he had never seen. That was an interesting moment when, after ascertaining she didn't have kids, he asked the reporter if she thought her siblings were capable of killing someone. I think she shook her head no, but she hesitated, and he seized on it, and said, "You don't know"--or something to that effect.

Aug 11, 2019

They were connected to the crimes after local university Professor Leonard Dyck was found shot dead on the side of a highway in regional far north Canada.

Lucas Fowler's father was the first to report that his son was shot. He does not know how Dr. Dyck died. RCMP have not released how Dr. Dyck was killed.

Aug 11, 2019

I don't understand why the RCMP is so secretive about the cause of death.... They don't want Canadian people to know that guns still get in the hands of the wrong people despite all the laws? Denying that truth doesn't do any good either...

@rrstren To answer your question from the other thread, we really don't know anything about whether Kam also owned an airsoft weapon or had access to real guns. I could definitely see him and Bryer taking turns with Bryer's, though.

Incidentally, AS has conducted a previous interview where he emphatically stated he wasn't trying to offend the McLeods, but his son didn't have a vehicle, didn't drive, and didn't have *real* guns. I don't know if he said that because he actually knew that Kam had access to weapons that were not airsoft or if he was just making a point that he knew Kam had a DL and a vehicle and Bryer didn't, so he assumed for weapons, it was the same way. I also don't know that he actually had met any of the McLeods--indeed, it's not real clear if he had met Kam or just knew of him; Bryer's great-uncle, who apparently saw a fair amount of Bryer, said he'd never met him--so take his statement with a grain of salt. But I found his phrasing interesting.

If Alan Schmegelsky said that his son didn’t have access to a real gun, that suggests that he knows that none is missing from family members. I wish that Australian 60 Minutes had asked about this. For whatever reason, 60 Minutes didn’t ask, or didn’t air answers to, obvious questions. As a piece of journalism, the 60 Minutes segment is embarrassing.

If Bryer Schmegelsky didn’t have a gun, that leaves McLeod as the source of whatever weapon they had, either because he had a gun license and owned a gun himself or because he “borrowed” one, presumably from a relative.

Much earlier, there was discussion about the possibility that one of them purchased a stolen gun. Without rehashing that discussion, and while it is obviously possible, I think that it is highly unlikely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I felt badly for AS during that interview and I feel that he came across as sincere instead of selfish but I also don't blame CD's sister for her feelings regarding him. However, (and I do understand that he's a father going through a tremendous amount of stress), Kam and Bryer, at 18 and 19, were not "little boys." I understand that people call their adult children their "babies," and so on, but this seemed different. He also referred to his son as a child in a past interview as well. BS and KM were full adults in Canada, and had they been captured alive, they would have been tried as adults, not under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Would that still be true if Bryer were found to have a severe developmental disability? If his mental age was, say, 8 years old? Just curious. Is it hard and fast, and based only on chronological age? Would that have been enough for him to plead innocent based on mental health?

I'm guessing that any good defense attorney would ask that he be assessed thoroughly and I wonder what would have happened if he turned out to be both emotionally and mentally way below his apparent age.

A completely out there thought just occurred to me, and likely waaaay too far out on a very slender limb, but...

Could BS’s self-identification as Russian on Steam and his using a fake Russian accent while gaming, etc. be a reaction to the fact that his dad is of Ukrainian heritage and was a little jab at his dad’s family’s past? The whole Russians hating Ukrainians and vice versa? A little dad-hatred?

I mean it is far more likely that BS just had a mish mash of Slavic stuff going on and didn’t even know much about the history of the area, and only thought his name sounded Russian until his dad corrected him.

But just thought I’d throw that out there.
I had leaned more toward him not knowing due to the separation or just not bothering to explain the distinction to people, but I think what you suggest is very probable. It did seem to be something that shook his father, and I could see BS honing in on that sore spot.

I think because grandparents are older and mellower, they remain somewhat neutral, forgiving and trusting of grandchildren.
True. I also wonder if he was more willing to accept his grandmother as an authority figure than he was either of his parents. I also noticed he told her a specific location and purpose (Whitehorse, work). He just gave his dad a vague location (Alberta) and no explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flying_fox1