Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangeworld

Reaction score
An Australian man and his American girlfriend have died in suspicious circumstances in Canada, sparking fears they may have been murdered.

Lucas Fowler is reported to be the son of senior NSW police officer, Inspector Stephen Fowler. He was found dead alongside his girlfriend, North Carolina woman Chynna Deese, in British Columbia earlier this week sparking fears of foul play.

Chynna’s sister Kennedy Deese wrote they pair were “homicide victims along a remote stretch of highway in Canada while on a road trip.”

An older style blue mini-van the pair was believed to have been travelling was found at the scene.

Canadian police are looking for anyone who saw the vehicle or offered assistance. They’re also appealing for anyone that travelled the stretch of highway around the time of the discovery to come forward, according to a RCMP media release.

3a2787b59f5c65af6f791d5450ed875f

673a3c10aa32ec585e2f11501db9cf48

Australian man found dead in Canada

Media, Maps & Timeline thread

Initial thread on suspects McLeod and Schmegelsky (now closed)

The Rules (aka Terms of Service aka TOS)

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13

Last edited by a moderator:
@rrstren To answer your question from the other thread, we really don't know anything about whether Kam also owned an airsoft weapon or had access to real guns. I could definitely see him and Bryer taking turns with Bryer's, though.

Incidentally, AS has conducted a previous interview where he emphatically stated he wasn't trying to offend the McLeods, but his son didn't have a vehicle, didn't drive, and didn't have *real* guns. I don't know if he said that because he actually knew that Kam had access to weapons that were not airsoft or if he was just making a point that he knew Kam had a DL and a vehicle and Bryer didn't, so he assumed for weapons, it was the same way. I also don't know that he actually had met any of the McLeods--indeed, it's not real clear if he had met Kam or just knew of him; Bryer's great-uncle, who apparently saw a fair amount of Bryer, said he'd never met him--so take his statement with a grain of salt. But I found his phrasing interesting.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/chynna-deese-bryer-schmegelsky-family-1.5243150
"The elder Schmegelsky told Australian journalist Sarah Abo he's grieving and in disbelief about the accusations against his son.

"It hurts a lot. He was my only child. I never get to hug him again. I never get to tease him again. I never get to spend a minute with him again," he said. "A lot of parents know how I feel right now."

"In her Facebook post, Kennedy Deese rejected some of his words, writing, "We are not cut from the same cloth, as you play the victim and don't acknowledge your hand in your child's upbringing and ultimate demise."

Deese described her sister as a compassionate woman full of love and emotional intelligence. Chynna Deese had earned a degree in psychology, "because she loved to support people and wanted them to know they are not alone," she wrote."

I was hoping there would be a video where Bryer was talking or something, so we could get a better overall impression of him.
When it was reported that BS played a lot of Rust, I actually watched a few YouTube streams of Rust players on the off chance one of BS’s usernames popped up. I was hoping to get just a little snippet of him, maybe a sample of some of this ingame doxxing/trash talk that was reported about him.

I didn’t watch very long...those are brain cells I’ll never get back.

BTW, claims that Rust can teach any sort of skills beyond running around nude with a rock seem overinflated.

When it was reported that BS played a lot of Rust, I actually watched a few YouTube streams of Rust players on the off chance one of BS’s usernames popped up. I was hoping to get just a little snippet of him, maybe a sample of some of this ingame doxxing/trash talk that was reported about him.

BTW, claims that Rust can teach any sort of skills beyond running around nude with a rock seem overinflated.
LOL

The Globe and Mail
referenced a YouTube channel for Kam, where he apparently livestreamed games, and I dug around trying to find it on the off-chance I could hear him and Bryer talking, with no luck.

Have you played it or just watched videos?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/chynna-deese-bryer-schmegelsky-family-1.5243150
"The elder Schmegelsky told Australian journalist Sarah Abo he's grieving and in disbelief about the accusations against his son.

"It hurts a lot. He was my only child. I never get to hug him again. I never get to tease him again. I never get to spend a minute with him again," he said. "A lot of parents know how I feel right now."

"In her Facebook post, Kennedy Deese rejected some of his words, writing, "We are not cut from the same cloth, as you play the victim and don't acknowledge your hand in your child's upbringing and ultimate demise."

Deese described her sister as a compassionate woman full of love and emotional intelligence. Chynna Deese had earned a degree in psychology, "because she loved to support people and wanted them to know they are not alone," she wrote."
I noticed it also said she and her family forgive the suspects and their families and have mercy, though she thought a proper public apology would be more appropriate, which is fair enough.

I felt badly for AS during that interview and I feel that he came across as sincere instead of selfish but I also don't blame CD's sister for her feelings regarding him. However, (and I do understand that he's a father going through a tremendous amount of stress), Kam and Bryer, at 18 and 19, were not "little boys." I understand that people call their adult children their "babies," and so on, but this seemed different. He also referred to his son as a child in a past interview as well. BS and KM were full adults in Canada, and had they been captured alive, they would have been tried as adults, not under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

I’ve been struck by the failure of journalists to pursue the subject of Bryer Schmegelsky’s Airsoft gun. This post combines, and slightly amends, some earlier comments.

There is an obvious question that the journalist from Australian 60 Minutes, and for that matter other journalists, should have asked Alan Schmegelsky: Do you have the Airsoft gun?

If he has it, one would think that Australian 60 Minutes would show it. If he doesn’t, one would think that the programme would say where Schmegelsky thinks it is and last saw it. It’s possible, of course, that the RCMP have it, but even that would tell us that the Airsoft did not go with Schmegelsky and McLeod when they left Port Alberni.

I also would have thought that the show, or some other journalist, would say what model Airsoft gun it is and show a decent picture of it in addition to the indistinct photo of Bryer Schmegelsky lying on the ground with it.

60 Minutes, presumably speaking of Australian dollars, says that Alan Schmegelsky paid $600 for the gun. That’s CAD540. Less 12% sales tax, that’s about CAD475 or USD375.

I am struck by the fact that Alan Schmegelsky paid that kind of money for one. He is clearly not well off, and that is at the higher end of the Airsoft market. It is overkill for what Alan Schmegelsky says was the purpose, playing around with friends in the woods (about which, more below).

He purchased the gun for Bryer when Bryer was 17. I’m no expert on who Airsoft purchasers are, but I would have thought that a 17 year old would be more interested in learning to use a real gun, especially with that kind of money being spent.

In Alan’s place, I would have encouraged Bryer to join the Port Alberni Fish and Game Club: Alberni Fish and Game Club

This option would have been quite a bit cheaper, and more useful, than paying CAD540 (with tax) for a toy gun. The club’s annual fee is fairly low and it has an active shooting programme. If it’s like my club, it encourages young people, members teach for free and there is probably a club gun that young people can borrow. Bryer could shoot at the club without a gun license, but he would be encouraged to take the gun safety course, which costs about CAD160. This would make it possible to get a full gun license when he turned 18.

In the meantime, with the gun safety course under his belt, he could get a Minor’s License, which would enable him to borrow a gun if he wanted to go target shooting on his own. But the fact is, if you have a gun club membership, target shooting in the woods is not particularly alluring.

Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but I also wonder whether being in a shooting club environment would have set him on a path different from the one he was on.

Alan Schmegelsky says that he purchased the Airsoft gun so that Bryer could shoot in the woods with his friends. Who are these friends? Do they even exist? As far as I know, not a single person who Bryer Schmegelsky was playing Airsoft games with in the woods, presumably also an Airsoft owner, has been identified or interviewed. In any event, for that purpose paint guns would have made more sense.

Edit: @CanadianMade points out that paint guns are environmentally unfriendly and messy. That may be so, but I know for a fact that neither deters some players in rural areas.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is why I said before him doing this interview was just going to cause more pain. Kam and Bryer’s families are also victims but the other families are not in a place where they are going to want to hear that or accept that right now. No matter what your child is accused of you are going to feel the same pain if they die. He really should have just kept quiet though. Nothing good is going to come of this.

Big difference between watching people play a game on likely private servers, than actually playing it. It's a mess of a game and in no way can it teach you outdoor survival. No video game can.
I completely agree! That’s why I said that these claims that they learned outdoor skills from Rust are exaggerated.

I felt badly for AS during that interview and I feel that he came across as sincere instead of selfish but I also don't blame CD's sister for her feelings regarding him. However, (and I do understand that he's a father going through a tremendous amount of stress), Kam and Bryer, at 18 and 19, were not "little boys." I understand that people call their adult children their "babies," and so on, but this seemed different. He also referred to his son as a child in a past interview as well. BS and KM were full adults in Canada, and had they been captured alive, they would have been tried as adults, not under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
I've noticed he has a tendency to try to deflect criticism of Bryer, which makes sense--it's his kid. But I get the impression that, as a result, Bryer probably never had consequences for any of his actions in his dad's eyes.

I've noticed he has a tendency to try to deflect criticism of Bryer, which makes sense--it's his kid. But I get the impression that, as a result, Bryer probably never had consequences for any of his actions in his dad's eyes.
Yes! Perhaps Bryer was good at pulling the wool over his dad’s eyes as well. Convincing his dad that it was always someone else’s fault, teachers were out to get him etc. It’s quite common with kids Who have behavioural issues and get into trouble often. They get to the point that they will do anything to avoid consequences so they lie and manipulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felipstar2