Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really dumb question. What would they need to set it on fire? The residual amount of gas in the tank and a match? Putting extra matches in the upholstery? How would that work? (I have no clue how to start a car on fire, have been meaning to ask).

I assume they'd have to douse it with gasoline and light a match, to make sure it burns entirely.

EDIT: If I were doing it I'd use diesel fuel instead of petrol, because petrol ignites far more explosively and can burn the arsonist if not lit up from a distance.

Last edited:
It feels like there's some kind of back-handed slight behind your question but, just in case, for some baffling reason, your question is serious, I am an 8th generation Canadian on both sides of my family and very proud of it.

In Canada, proof beyond a reasonable doubt is the standard normally accepted as proof, based on the preponderance of supporting evidence of guilt, as presented in a public trial of living persons. Accused persons are considered innocent until proven guilty. Obviously, due to their untimely deaths, BS and CM are innocent now and will continue to be so because they can never face a jury of their peers. However, LE continues to collect evidence about the known deaths in order to confirm, principally, that their handling of the case was fully justified, including the laying of charges, the cross-county manhunt, the calling in of the military and most importantly, to assure themselves and the general public that there is not still some other person or persons out there, stalking the highways, who got away with murder. MOO. IMO.
Incredibly well said

Really dumb question. What would they need to set it on fire? The residual amount of gas in the tank and a match? Putting extra matches in the upholstery? How would that work? (I have no clue how to start a car on fire, have been meaning to ask).
No pyro experience here, but maybe if they opened the gas tank and dropped a wick, towel or rope or whatever and lit that? I wish I could try it...

It is only our presumption, isn't it, that they are the ones who burned their vehicle.

It is not beyond the realm of possibility that another person or persons would have compelling reason to burn a stolen vehicle, especially one featured almost daily in the national and international news. MOO I think that they were declared to be suspects on Tuesday, July 23 and the vehicle was torched the following day, Wednesday, July 24.

Twice?

It feels like there's some kind of back-handed slight behind your question but, just in case, for some baffling reason, your question is serious, I am an 8th generation Canadian on both sides of my family and very proud of it.

In Canada, proof beyond a reasonable doubt is the standard normally accepted as proof, based on the preponderance of supporting evidence of guilt, as presented in a public trial of living persons. Accused persons are considered innocent until proven guilty. Obviously, due to their untimely deaths, BS and CM are innocent now and will continue to be so because they can never face a jury of their peers. However, LE continues to collect evidence about the known deaths in order to confirm, principally, that their handling of the case was fully justified, including the laying of charges, the cross-county manhunt, the calling in of the military and most importantly, to assure themselves and the general public that there is not still some other person or persons out there, stalking the highways, who got away with murder. MOO. IMO.

Not intended as a slight at all. I’m a Canadian as well and I can recall no prior case where deceased suspects were proven guilty. That’s why I asked. You might recall the recent Danforth shooting and TPS eventually followed up with a report and public statement regarding their investigative findings sufficient to close the investigative file. But no jury of his peers found the shooter guilty because he was already dead. Regardless that police had no other suspects, even then conspiracy rumours circulated that somebody else took the shooters life to coverup some sort of radical terrorist plot.

That an accused has the right of presumed innocence until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt is the right of the living. What point would there be to convicting dead people who are unable to testify, let alone serve their sentence?

Just a thought. These are two teens that have always been connected to the internet in some form or another, whether it’s gaming, texting, etc. If they were planning any of this, I’m sure they would buy burners or a pay as you go phone so they could stay connected. So, it would been easy for them to pick up the news as they were driving by wifi areas and gas stations. Has a phone been found? Would there be a confession or pictures on it?
Just thinking out loud.
Also, in BS text to his Dad saying they were heading to Alberta, it was around 8:30 in the morning, if I remember correctly. (Sorry can’t find the link). Perhaps they dumped their phones after that. Maybe Kam sent a message to his parents as well? Perhaps they were off the island already if the took the very first ferry out which is almost half off in price, if they were wanting to save money.
My point is, I think they had access to the web. IMO. Sorry for the ramble.

Still not any confirmation of a press conference, but some details coming out on Twitter.

News1130: Sonia Aslam on Twitter
The autopsies have been completed and it appears Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky died as a result of "suicides by gunfire." This is according to @BCRCMP. Their bodies were found in the dense bush close to the Nelson River near Gillam, Manitoba. Details on @NEWS1130.

CBC News:Laura McQuillan on Twitter
#BREAKING Autopsy confirms B.C. murder suspects Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky were the two people found dead along Manitoba’s Nelson River last week. They died of suicide by gunfire. It’s believed they were alive for a few days after they were last sighted. @CBCNews

My hope is that out of this horrific tragedy there is some semblance toward enlightenment and change. Such as:

1. More training for school staff regarding mental health issues and signs of such. Policy development regarding referral to pertinent services.
2. Changes in the health care system (Mental Health) making services available to more people and a sliding scale or free services to those who with limited incomes.
3. Teachable moments with students and young people .
5. More parent awareness regarding video gaming, mental health etc
6. Road trip (traveller) awareness - planning of travel, checking and so forth. Although travelling is fun and there are many wonderful people out there...
7. More training for therapists and counsellor especially related to trauma
So forth and so forth

Let Lucas, Chynna and Dr. Dyck’s legacy be an learning experience for everyone and bring about some needed changes. I am not in dreamland and I recognize all these changes will not happen but any improvement is in the right direction.

Edited to add. Mental health is part of health care services

I'll be using aspects of this case (and a couple of other WS cases) in my classes this year. I should get some interesting feedback, as well.

67730_feature-update-eng.jpg

The Manitoba Medical Examiner has completed the autopsies and confirmed that the two deceased men located in Manitoba on August 7, 2019 were Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky. Their next of kin have been notified and they have been offered support.

The RCMP can also confirm that the two died in what appears to be suicides by gunfire. While both individuals were deceased for a number of days before they were found, the exact time and date of their deaths are not known. However, there are strong indications that they had been alive for a few days since last seen in July and during the extensive search efforts in the Gillam area.

Police can also confirm that two firearms were also located with the two deceased males and forensic analysis is underway in order to definitively confirm that these weapons are connected with the northern BC homicide investigations. The Manitoba RCMP have completed their search of the area were the two male bodies were discovered, approximately 8 km from where Mr. Dyck’s burnt RAV4 was located on July 22, 2019.

Investigators are now assessing all items located in Manitoba, along with the previous findings related to the three northern BC homicide investigations, in order to gain more clarity into what happened to Leonard Dyck, Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese. The assessment will review all the investigative findings to date, whether it is statements, evidentiary time lines, physical or digital evidence, and the BC RCMP have also have engaged our Behavioural Analysis Unit (BAU).

The BC RCMP commits that once we have completed that review within the next few weeks, we will be providing the families with an update with respect to the totality of the investigations and then releasing the information publicly.

RCMP in British Columbia - Update – RCMP confirm cause of death and provide update on the Northern BC triple homicide investigations

Last edited:
#BREAKING: Manitoba RCMP say #PortAlberni murder suspects Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky died from "suicide by gunfire" @CHEK_News

April Lawrence on Twitter
Dang I knew it! Had a feeling they took themselves out, had zero plans along the way and were winging it until the end. Now look forward to details on the murders.

Dang I knew it! Had a feeling they took themselves out, had zero plans along the way and were winging it until the end. Now look forward to details on the murders.

Well that officer all but told us with his interview the other day.

The only thing that slightly surprises me, is that these two had two weapons on them (from RCMP statement).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid