CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point. Within hours of her alleged disappearance from that location, searchers were looking for her.

This isn’t a case where someone was missing for a long period of time, and one where searchers didn’t have a solid place to start.

Had that not been the case, then I’d be open to the idea that she’s out there somewhere.
And I might add that since this was just the beginning of summer, there would be good daylight at least until 8pm, maybe later.

No need to apologize @RANCH . It’s been a very long 39 days

Thanks again to PommyMommy; I copied and pasted her post below from the media thread:

JUL 22, 2019
California police say missing hiker who vanished 'in her bikini' was NOT abducted | Daily Mail Online
[...]

'We don't think she was abducted. It's a very remote area. There's no evidence to suggest she was abducted,' spokeswoman Jodi Miller told DailyMail.com.

The notion that Barbara may have been abducted became public after a different hiker, Shirley Powell, who was missing for days in a different national park 300 miles away, was rescued. After being found, she described being chased by a knife-wielding man.

But sheriffs say it is unlikely the same man she described has gone after Barbara.

'When that information started coming out about [the other woman], that's what created the speculation [that Barbara had been abducted] but our investigation does not indicate any signs that she was abducted,' Miller said.

[...]

Jul 22, 2019Report
Like+ QuoteReply

No the abduction came from RT’s mouth.
Sorry, I posted my comment twice in this reply.

Easy to get lost AND stay on a trail- Remember that she had been drinking, perhaps more than one, it was blazing hot, she was in a hurry perhaps why she went ahead, no way you could see the RV from that turn.... She only needed to make one tiny mistake at the junction of those trails and bingo, she's lost.

View attachment 199266
bbm
LE have not made any confirmations that barb had indeed been drinking this day.
at this stage it is part of a narrative from the last known person to see her.

moo

One thing that caught my ear was from that incredible poster (sorry forgot his/her name) who gave the first hand recollection of the area with graphics, etc.

It was mentioned “noise from all the cars”...or something along those lines, a couple cars every minute iirc.

Just wanted to note that.

Barb was an experienced hiker.
An experienced hiker goes for a walk with a beer or a hike with water.
She didn’t get lost.
She didn’t pass out from the heat.
She can’t be found bc she’s not there.
She was killed and dropped off at another site.
Who, why and where is to be determined.

Whistles? Signaling devices?
MOO: Whistles are small and can be very loud; good idea to have them while hiking....
@firstsleuth :) Thanks for your post. snipped for focus.
Yes, whistles.
Small,~ 3" x 1" x 1"
Lightweight 1-2 oz..
Inexpensive < $5 USD
Probably louder than your voice or whistling w lips.
Can continue sounding whistle longer than shouting for help.
Disadvantage: must be conscious, have enough 'lung power' to use.
Whistles: Good idea while hiking. Better idea to have anytime outside house/apt.

Thanks @PaulaDC - for these great ideas (but w some disadvantages)
- Walkie Talkies --- depends on friend/fam on same frequency & good batteries.
- Air horn ------------ can run out of propellent.
- flare ----------------- less helpful during day.

- small bright kite --lack of wind? takes skill/experience to use?
^ Any of these certainly can help. I'll take ^ over trying to shout any day.

Oh, signaling mirrors come size, weight of credit cards, for ~ $ 5 USD ea. Need a bit of skill.

Last edited:
@Nikynoo

The media thread is here:
AZ - AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

The original story by The Daily Mail is here:
AZ - AZ - Barbara Thomas, 69, Timeline, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

California police say missing hiker who vanished 'in her bikini' was NOT abducted | Daily Mail Online
[...]

'We don't think she was abducted. It's a very remote area. There's no evidence to suggest she was abducted,' spokeswoman Jodi Miller told DailyMail.com.

The notion that Barbara may have been abducted became public after a different hiker, Shirley Powell, who was missing for days in a different national park 300 miles away, was rescued. After being found, she described being chased by a knife-wielding man.

But sheriffs say it is unlikely the same man she described has gone after Barbara.

'When that information started coming out about [the other woman], that's what created the speculation [that Barbara had been abducted] but our investigation does not indicate any signs that she was abducted,' Miller said.

[...]

(I have asked for the link to the media thread to be included on page 1, post 1 of the thread but I'll ask again. I don't think meow or whatever that is, is an approved MSM source. I don't consider it one, but RadarOnline is allowed here, so you never know.)
Thank you!

No the abduction came from RT’s mouth.
Sorry, I posted my comment twice in this reply.
Yes, but AFTER, the Powell case was known, not on the day Barbara went missing.

Below from the following article: California police say missing hiker who vanished 'in her bikini' was NOT abducted | Daily Mail Online

Micheline, can you please give us the link? Thanks.

Eta: having difficulty quoting

Here are some, hope you can read them with Google translate since they are in Dutch:

Search after one month, still no result:
Grote zoekactie naar Nederlander in Turkije stilgelegd zonder resultaat

There was also a huge search with teams, dogs and helicopters:
Privacy settings

New search with dogs, no result:
Nieuwe zoektocht naar vermiste Joey Hoffmann uit Haaksbergen

Special flown in dogteam searched area where he was last seen, they did not found him:
Privacy settings

Search with dogs and drone, no result:
Talpa Network

New search 7 weeks later with dogs located him:
Lichaam vermiste Haaksbergenaar Joey Hoffmann gevonden in Turkije

There were searches for days on a row initially, after that more specialized searches, with a drone and flown in dogs, this was repeated, and finally 7 weeks after he went missing he was found in an area, a couple miles from where he was last seen by his friends, and only 1200 feet or so from where he was last seen by someone other than his friends.

Last edited:
One thing that caught my ear was from that incredible poster (sorry forgot his/her name) who gave the first hand recollection of the area with graphics, etc.

It was mentioned “noise from all the cars”...or something along those lines, a couple cars every minute iirc.

Just wanted to note that.
And my vote for a wonderful post. Followed by the reply, from LAhiker, with the exact mentioned (and may I say, IMHO, a very well written) post.

Great find IMHO! Another post that enlightens my day. Thank you.

What can we as a group do, to provide any help? Is that even feasible? Who would need to start that up? The family I guess?

ETA unable to add a quote into this 'edit' function. I don't know why. Maybe something for our programming experts. I'll report this post and request tech support. Oh, they might already be aware. Off to report.

Last edited:
There are both footprints (a ton of them in the 2nd photo) and tire tread marks in these photos. More in the media thread. MOO

SBCSDVolunteerForces on Twitter
Thank you to members of @sbcountysheriff search and rescue for their continued efforts in locating Barbara Thomas in the Needles area.
EAARln6U0AIypzx.jpg
EAARln5UYAcrFh4.jpg

9:58 AM - 21 Jul 2019
Is this the parking area where the RV was parked? If so, would this not have a different surface than the trail?

We don't know what they have, but LE said they found no evidence of Barbara. Does evidence of Barbara include footprints? I would think so, but it's doubtful that if prints were found, LE would have been able to compare them to her footwear at that time. So, perhaps they had "potential evidence."

@dbdb11, I'm going to add this to the list of questions for reporters. MOO
perhaps they were not looking for footprints on first arrival?

And I might add that since this was just the beginning of summer, there would be good daylight at least until 8pm, maybe later.

I tried to add this to my previous post. No go. Reported, and hopefully not an issue. The times for July 12th, 2019, were reported as such:

And my slow typing will see this already confirmed. Just a little chuckle at myself.

This is for Kelso, just north of their reported stop over.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/kelso-id/83342/july-weather/2227295
Fri Jul 12
Actual Temp
91° /56°
Hist. Avg.
85°/54°

ETA the correct information. But, just in case you were curious about their weather that day, there's that :)

Sunrise and sunset times in Kelso Dunes, July 2019Sunrise and sunset times in Kelso Dunes, July 2019.PNG

Last one, 5:38am sunrise, 7:58pm sunset, in upper left of photo above.

Last edited:
bbm
LE have not made any confirmations that barb had indeed been drinking this day.
at this stage it is part of a narrative from the last known person to see her.

moo
Numerous MSM have reported this statement directly from her husband. If she had 1 or 2 beers, combined with being in a hurry, not paying full attention to where she was, she could easily have made one tiny mistake and become lost. If the husbands account of her being a few minutes ahead was actually 15 minutes in reality she could be a mile away before he noticed.

It is very easy to get lost, even on flat open ground

It is very hard to find people when they are lost

Lost people often leave no trace

https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/missing-hikers-husband-swears-hes-innocent-after-failing-lie-detector/

Missing Hiker's Husband Says Police Are Eyeing Him As Suspect

Daily searches suspended for bikini-clad woman who vanished in Mojave Desert

Husband suspects foul play after wife goes missing while hiking in Mojave Desert

I tried to add this to my previous post. No go. Reported, and hopefully not an issue. The times for July 12th, 2019, were reported as such:

And my slow typing will see this already confirmed. Just a little chuckle at myself.

This is for Kelso, just north of their reported stop over.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/kelso-id/83342/july-weather/2227295
Fri Jul 12
Actual Temp
91° /56°
Hist. Avg.
85°/54°

ETA the correct information. But, just in case you were curious about their weather that day, there's that :)

Sunrise and sunset times in Kelso Dunes, July 2019View attachment 199305

Last one, 5:38am sunrise, 7:58pm sunset, in upper left of photo above.

Thank you! So it wasn't as hot as I would have expected.

All JMO.

I've never seen threads with "it was suggested off camera and just cut from the interview, RT probably said this that or the other but it was cut from the interview" in this quantity.

It's kind of mind boggling. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member