CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was innocent, given a polygraph and was told I was being deceptive I most certainly would try to find out how that could be possible. JMO.

Or ask to take the poly again. Can you do that?

Back when CTV message board existed, I communicated & got to know a family member of (missing, murdered)Michael Severance. The wife, Wendi flew under the radar for awhile. She reported him missing Jan 2005, body recovered March 2005, was not indicted until July 2005 , sentenced to 25 yrs Nov 2006.
For the sake of the family & humanity, I hope this person is not involved.
May she be found & brought home soon.

JMO

Last edited:
Or ask to take the poly again. Can you do that?

Back when CTV message board existed, I communicated & got to know a family member of (missing, murdered)Michael Severance. The wife, Wendi flew under the radar for awhile. She reported him missing Jan 2005, body recovered March 2005, was not indicted until July 2005 , sentenced to 25 yrs Nov 2006.
For the sake of the family & humanity, I hope this person is not involved.
May she be found & brought home soon.

JMO
I'm not sure that LE would test a person over again. They got what they wanted with one.

We don't even know if RT really did show signs of deception in his polygraph. All we know is LE told him that.

LE can lie to people. They do that to see if a suspect will confess.

https://www.njmoorelaw.com/10-ways-police-can-lie-to-you

thanks @Kapua! do you know if these are being distributed in the area where BT was believed to be last seen? Are you sending it to MSM? xo
The new flyer is 8 1/2 x 11, easier to print on a home computer, better size for posting.
I added a pic of RT and BT, in case someone saw him alone with the RV on that day. I wish I'd done that much sooner. Poster @LAhiker gave me the idea. I also revised the text a bit.

Yes, I hope to get this flyer out to the local area and media. I need everyone's help to do that. Thanks! :)

The new flyer is 8 1/2 x 11, easier to print on a home computer, better size for posting.
I added a pic of RT and BT, in case someone saw him alone with the RV on that day. I wish I'd done that much sooner. Poster @LAhiker gave me the idea. I also revised the text a bit.

Yes, I hope to get this flyer out to the local area and media. I need everyone's help to do that. Thanks! :)
I live in Ireland otherwise i'd like to physically help. good luck Kapua, people like you restore my faith in humanity at times xo

I live in Ireland otherwise i'd like to physically help. good luck Kapua, people like you restore my faith in humanity at times xo

You are helping, bronbaby.

Kapua, you are awesome. I'm going to send the poster to some hobbyists who do various things on the desert (just poking around on FB, found a few groups).

My guess, As a longtime follower of true crime.
Barbara is no longer alive.
Her husband either killed her, or, hired someone to kill her.
Why, does not matter.
None of we normal folks have ever been able to figure out the WHY.
We just cannot figure out WHY.
But... Statistics do not lie.
ALL statistics, gathered over decades of research by very smart people tell us that Barbara was somehow murdered by her husband.
In my opinion.
For me, having followed true crime sporadically for a few years, it boils down to motive and opportunity.

And I think even our most open-minded posters would agree that there were not a lot of people in the Mojave Preserve on July 12 who had the opportunity to harm Barbara.

The person she was with was her husband, who benefits financially if BT pre-deceases him. There's the simplest motive, although I believe there's more complexity to it.

I noted several threads ago that the nice truck and RV were not broken into. Some posters think that has nothing to do with BT potentially being abducted, but IMHO, it is a clue. IF BT was on her way to the RV, any nefarious individuals might have noticed the truck and RV first.

We've seen some unusual cases, but I think this one is cut from Occam's Razor. MOO

Last edited:
I'm not sure that LE would test a person over again. They got what they wanted with one.

We don't even know if RT really did show signs of deception in his polygraph. All we know is LE told him that.

LE can lie to people. They do that to see if a suspect will confess.

https://www.njmoorelaw.com/10-ways-police-can-lie-to-you
BBM

Actually I highly doubt LE told RT that.
We do know for a fact that RT said that he failed the poly.
There could be a motive for him to say that.
Hoping for a break soon in this case.

BBM

What would be the motive?

He wants the public to think he is hiding something? I doubt that's the case.

I think it's almost a certainty that LE told RT he was being deceptive. They wanted to see if he would confess. JMO.

For me, having followed true crime sporadically for a few years, it boils down to motive and opportunity.

And I think even our most open-minded posters would agree that there were not a lot of people in the Mojave Preserve on July 12 who had the opportunity to harm Barbara.

The person she was with was her husband, who benefits financially if BT pre-deceases him. There's the simplest motive, although I believe there's more complexity to it.

I noted several threads ago that the nice truck and RV were not broken into. Some posters think that has nothing to do with BT potentially being abducted, but IMHO, it is a clue. IF BT was on her way to the RV, any nefarious individuals might have noticed the truck and RV first.

We've seen some unusual cases, but I think this one is cut from Occam's Razor. MOO
It would only take one armed individual to abduct BT.

Are you saying that in most abductions a theft of property is involved also?

JMO

bbm blue

BBM

I do not believe LE would necessarily state, "You failed the poly." I do not believe that gets to the heart of the matter.

RT said, exact quote:
"I took a polygraph test, they told me I was being deceptive."

I believe LE confronted RT on his responses to questions (whether poly questions or 'standard' LE questioning techniques) since RT is the last person to have seen BT and who also happens to be BT's spouse. Depending on the case, LE may attempt to trip up a person during questioning in order to observe their demeanor, story consistency, body language. I expect this may continue for contiguous hours or even across days, depending on how the story and case evidence evolves.

What would be the motive?

He wants the public to think he is hiding something? I doubt that's the case.

I think it's almost a certainty that LE told RT he was being deceptive. They wanted to see if he would confess. JMO.
BBM

Hmmm... maybe they did tell him ?

But yes--- re. the bolded -- I have no problem with that at all !

It's sickening to think that someone, anyone -- might know where she is, and is just letting her decompose somewhere.
I wish LE would put some more intense questioning to someone and bring this to a close; and bring her home for her family.

bbm blue

I do not believe LE would necessarily state, "You failed the poly." I do not believe that gets to the heart of the matter.

RT said, exact quote:

I believe LE confronted RT on his responses to questions (whether poly questions or 'standard' LE questioning techniques) since RT is the last person to have seen BT and who also happens to be BT's spouse. Depending on the case, LE may attempt to trip up a person during questioning in order to observe their demeanor, story consistency, body language. I expect this may continue for contiguous hours or even across days, depending on how the story and case evidence evolves.

I'd be interested in what the questions were and how RT reacted.
Angry ?

Defensive ? ("She's been kidnapped--and this is how you treat me ?" (paraphrased by me.)

Confused, frail, and bewildered ? -- Ok, that last question was a def. nope. Imo.

BBM

Hmmm... maybe they did tell him ?

But yes--- re. the bolded -- I have no problem with that at all !

It's sickening to think that someone, anyone -- might know where she is, and is just letting her decompose somewhere.
I wish LE would put some more intense questioning to someone and bring this to a close; and bring her home for her family.
I'm assuming the person you wish LE to question is RT.

He did retain an attorney and I'm sure that he was told to not answer any further questions from LE.

That doesn't mean he will take that advice or that LE would be successful in having him confess. I think LE gave it their best shot at getting a confession early on in this case. JMO.

RT said, exact quote (with noted exception):

By the time I took the picture she was continuing on because she wanted to use the RV.
NOTE: I'm not sure on the word 'use', I believe RT was suggesting BT wanted to use the dunny in the RV.

What did RT mean when he said, "..by the time I took the picture.."

"the picture"... singular, and was RT taking too long to take the picture?

How much time does one require to take a picture? Being a photographer enthusiast I understand some time may be required to select a best angle, compose a scene, determine best distance, etc.; it depends on how particular/experienced is the person taking the picture. We have no clue as to RT's approach to his photography: amateur (snapshot types), enthusiast (at least composes frame), professional or fanatical (accounts for nth degree technical aspects such as lighting, depth-of-field, angle-of-view, scene compression, bokeh, etc.). Most people are of the 'snapshot' type.

LE released a photo of BT posing in front of rock formations (not sure of location but I assume it was taken that day), wearing a white and red cap and a black bikini top. The photo is cropped so as not to reveal too much of the scene. I'm wondering which picture RT was taking when BT decided to continue walking ahead? Was taking "the picture" more important to RT than ensuring BT got to the RV safely to use the dunny? I assume RT had taken at least one other photograph.

Unhook 5th Wheel, Run 'Errand' in Truck?
.... Is it possible, due to the remote location, that he could have unhooked the RV and taken her somewhere else to dispose of her, then came back? ...
@Peppermint Patty. :) Thanks for your post. sbm Yes, possible.
Advantage ---
- able to drive truck by itself on poorly maintained roads/'jeep trails' which would be unmanageable/unusable by truck plus 5'er to more remote locations.
Disadvantages ---
- as you & @Lilibet noted/hinted at: potential for theft of unattended, unsecured 5'er, or even if secured w hitch pin, etc, vandalism to it.
- higher visibility, passersby would notice a new-ish 5'er sitting by itself on shoulder, more than if still hooked to truck. If LE made public appeal for witnesses, more ppl might tend to remember 'lonely' 5th wheel.
jmo, possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
RT said, exact quote (with noted exception):

NOTE: I'm not sure on the word 'use', I believe RT was suggesting BT wanted to use the dunny in the RV.

What did RT mean when he said, "..by the time I took the picture.."

"the picture"... singular, and was RT taking too long to take the picture?

How much time does one require to take a picture? Being a photographer enthusiast I understand some time may be required to select a best angle, compose a scene, determine best distance, etc.; it depends on how particular/experienced is the person taking the picture. We have no clue as to RT's approach to his photography: amateur (snapshot types), enthusiast (at least composes frame), professional or fanatical (accounts for nth degree technical aspects such as lighting, depth-of-field, angle-of-view, scene compression, bokeh, etc.). Most people are of the 'snapshot' type.

LE released a photo of BT posing in front of rock formations (not sure of location but I assume it was taken that day), wearing a white and red cap and a black bikini top. The photo is cropped so as not to reveal too much of the scene. I'm wondering which picture RT was taking when BT decided to continue walking ahead? Was taking "the picture" more important to RT than ensuring BT got to the RV safely to use the dunny? I assume RT had taken at least one other photograph.

BBM

There has been much discussion here of that photo. We don't know whether it was taken that day or whether it's an earlier photo of BT in which she was dressed similarly to what RT has said she was wearing on July 12th. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname