Found Deceased WY - Aubree Corona, 28, did not return to campsite, Sublette County, 13 Jul 2019

Our understanding is that she was to do her breathalyzer morning and night. They arrived in Pinedale Friday so she did her pm breathalyzer Friday evening in Pinedale and was heading into Pinedale for her morning test and was taking a cooler from camp to bring ice back to camp after her test.
Thank you for clearing that up. I hope you & your family have more answers soon.

Well, I’m not sure exactly, but it was a test to make sure she was sober. A breathalyzer would be kinda stupid for LE to request, because it would be easy for her to not drink alcohol until after the test. A UA that detects alcohol as well as other substances makes more sense to me, because usually the conditions of being released on bond require the person to abstain from any alcohol or drug use. Plus, a UA would detect things used over the past few days whereas a breathalyzer alone would only indicate alcohol use in the immediate hours before the test.

I’ve worked in corrections and all the people I saw come in on probation violations, etc., that were caught using something were caught by a dirty UA.
With this program you have to breathalyzer every morning and night. So they could drink a bit I suppose if they wanted to still pass the other one. But it is more of a harm reduction program.

You make some good points. I'd like to know what search and rescue policy is in the area in general. I learned that in HI the authorities stop searching after something like two days. So it's up to volunteers.

SAR operations vary from State to State, and sometimes even within the same State. Some are independent teams and others are part of a fire company, Civil Air Patrol and even Boy Scouts. Even with ASTM standards for SAR teams and equipment, the training level can vary significantly.

In PA, all SAR Teams, dog, human or equestrian are all self (including equipment) / donation funded and teamed by volunteers. Most also work regular jobs and are limited by how understanding their employer is. Some States do not have laws that protect volunteers from being fired by their employer when they are fighting a fire or performing a search. I don't know of any State that requires companies to allow volunteers to respond to an emergency. 90% are not paid by their employer when they are on a mission. Sad but true.

When LE was called Sunday July 14th we were told that they had their annual "Rendezvous" going on and did not have extra officers to go track down the BFs camp but if we got a general area they would TRY to get out to the camp. We called them about 2:00 pm with camp information, but they did not make contact until evening. Meanwhile, we were being told that maybe she just needed a "mommy vacation" or she was one of the drunks at the "Rendezvous". So right off the bat she was being judged, even though we kept telling them she would not do that.

While I understand manpower issues and crowd control, there is little excuse for not calling for mutual aid from another department, fish and game, Civil Air Patrol, SAR and Fire Departments. The "mommy vacation or she might be one of the drunks at the Rendezvous" is irresponsible and would be difficult for LE to defend if a suit were filed.

I believe we’ve been told that Aubree was quite directionally challenged. I can relate as I am also very good at getting lost. I believe if getting lost was out of the ordinary that would have been raised as alarming by the family.

When I was much younger I used to purposely get lost in remote areas with only a knife and canteen so I could find my way back out again and learn from the experience. To excel in SAR, you need the skills to prevent yourself from becoming lost and a victim.

If any of you have been interested in my posts, pick up a copy of "The Tracker" by Tom Brown Jr. If you like the book, he has a number of field guides you would also enjoy. Tom was one of many instructors I was blessed to spend time with over the years.

Last edited:
I marked the map on the right to show the search grid on the left, which is a map posted on the Tip Top Search and Rescue FB page and also on this several times in articles on this thread.

The Bright Yellow line is Leeds Creek. It extends farther past the top of the page, but it becomes South Fork Fish Creek where the line ends at the bottom.

This shows that there really were pretty extensive searches in the Leeds Creek area. I must say that I don't really see much for roads/trails that they didn't cover. I've even zoomed in on Google Maps, satellite view, to trace where trails go after they fade out on regular road view. Aubree's vehicle must have been truly hidden from view on a "non-road".

Attachments

• wind river search.jpg
    wind river search.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 84
  • wind river large.jpg
    wind river large.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 76
I marked the map on the right to show the search grid on the left, which is a map posted on the Tip Top Search and Rescue FB page and also on this several times in articles on this thread.

The Bright Yellow line is Leeds Creek. It extends farther past the top of the page, but it becomes South Fork Fish Creek where the line ends at the bottom.

This shows that there really were pretty extensive searches in the Leeds Creek area. I must say that I don't really see much for roads/trails that they didn't cover. I've even zoomed in on Google Maps, satellite view, to trace where trails go after they fade out on regular road view. Aubree's vehicle must have been truly hidden from view on a "non-road".

Thank you for doing that work. It's good to know.

Wyoming woman missing more than a month found dead a mile from her truck

This has a good map of the area she was lost in. Very tragic IMO - but no autopsy results released so far that I can find.
Wyoming woman missing more than a month found dead a mile from her truck

This has a good map of the area she was lost in. Very tragic IMO - but no autopsy results released so far that I can find.

Autopsy results will take 6-8 weeks we're told.

So she would have needed to drive back again that evening on those roads to do another breathalyzer? And do that everyday while they were camping?

Not sure which roads you are thinking about. So yes, she would have had to go from the campsite to Pinedale morning and evening. But it was a fairly straightforward route of about 25 miles. 5 miles west on gravel from the campsite to a paved road. 15 miles south on the paved county rd to the highway. Then 5 miles east to Pinedale for her test.

But Aubree turned north once she came to the paved road, which soon turned to gravel, winding higher and higher into and then over the mountains into Dubois. That trip was over 70 miles long.

On the attached map, the red marker is the area they were camped. The dark blue line is where Aubree SHOULD have gone to Pinedale (A), and the light blue line is where she accidentally DID go when she left in the morning. On her return trip, she left Dubois "C", went back over the pass, and became lost in the area of Leeds Creek, north of "B".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190828-063205_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20190828-063205_Maps.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 113
Thank you @Songbird1973
(I apologize if this had already been discussed about making two trips a day to Pinedale and explaining gravel/paved roads)

I would probably be anxious about the breathalyzer and make a wrong turn unless I had traveled those exact roads numerous times and knew the route without maps or assistance. Just my thoughts.

Saying a quick prayer for her family - who has been so gracious on here with their information. Peace and healing thoughts.

Autopsy results will take 6-8 weeks we're told.
Sounds like they are waiting on tox reports (and that no other obvious COD is apparent). Unfortunately this case reminds me of a couple others and my prediction is that the tox report will be similar to those. I will not list those threads because I do not want to insult anyone. May sweet Aubree RIP.

I have been MIA for a few days. I was sad to see this ending for Aubree. So many more questions though... RIP beauty! Hoping the family can get some answers to this mystery. Just tragic in every direction you look.

Just wanted to keep this thread going and let the family know that we have not forgotten about Aubree or her family. I hope news comes soon so everyone can find some peace, if that is at all possible. Rip aubree

Just wanted to keep this thread going and let the family know that we have not forgotten about Aubree or her family. I hope news comes soon so everyone can find some peace, if that is at all possible. Rip aubree
Thank-you! We laid our beloved Aubree to rest this past Friday. Our hearts are broken! There is still no news. But according to LE it appears she was driving up and down all the dead end roads on Union Pass trying to find her way back to camp and her children. She had once again gone up another dead end road and had turned around when the truck stopped. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank-you! We laid our beloved Aubree to rest this past Friday. Our hearts are broken! There is still no news. But according to LE it appears she was driving up and down all the dead end roads on Union Pass trying to find her way back to camp and her children. She had once again gone up another dead end road and had turned around when the truck stopped. <modsnip>

So sorry for your loss. I was thinking about her today because I was driving through the Wenatchee Forest in WA state. I cannot imagine how horrible it would be to be lost in the middle of nowhere and then have your vehicle fail and no phone reception. May she rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back