IN - Couple charged with abandonment of adopted child after legally changing her age, Sept 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very uneducated on the issue, but isn't 2 years old a little early for a child to be diagnosed with autism?

Yes, and no, it seems:

Most Children With Autism Diagnosed at 5 or Older

You can, but they're not usually, and in my experience, it wouldn't be unusual for someone with "exceptional" children to Munchausen them into it for attention. I'd be interested to know if she ever gave the source of her son's diagnosis.

More than half of school-aged kids were age 5 or older when they were first diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, the study showed. Less than 20% were diagnosed by age 2. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that pediatricians screen children for autism at 18 months of age.

The CDC estimates that 1 in 88 children in the U.S. has an autism spectrum disorder. This is the umbrella term for a group of developmental disorders that can range from mild to severe and that often affect social and communication skills.

Thanks for the link. This is interesting:

>>>snip

...Tippecanoe County prosecutors filed neglect charges on Wednesday against Kristine Elizabeth Barnett, 45, and her ex-husband, Michael Barnett, 43, following a five-year criminal investigation...

<<<snip

What in the world could LE have been investigating for five years? I mean, these people either abandoned a child, or they didn't. What in the world?!

>>>snip

...Tippecanoe County prosecutors filed neglect charges on Wednesday against Kristine Elizabeth Barnett, 45, and her ex-husband, Michael Barnett, 43, following a five-year criminal investigation...

<<<snip

What in the world could LE have been investigating for five years? I mean, these people either abandoned a child, or they didn't. What in the world?!
They have to dot their iiiiiii and cross their tttttt, track sources,verify facts. It's not like TV where Jessica Fletcher can solve a murder in one hrs time.

>>>snip

<<<snip

This one really has me speechless. So bizarre!

I am very uneducated on the issue, but isn't 2 years old a little early for a child to be diagnosed with autism?
Autism is primarily a communication disorder, so the absence of developing language can be an early diagnostic symptom. Autism can not be diagnosed until language does not develop appropriately. Since most kids are talking by age two, and otherwise communicating with gestures, pointing, and eye contact, lack of these is a warning that there is a potential problem. A diagnosis of autism requires more than a lack of language. From WebMD:

Autism Spectrum Disorder: How is it Diagnosed?

>>>snip

For an official diagnosis, your child must meet the standards of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), published by the American Psychiatric Association.

Your child must have problems with two categories to fall on the autism spectrum.

1. Challenges with communication and social interaction. For kids with ASD, it’s hard to “connect” with or predict the reactions of other people, read social cues, make eye contact, or have a conversation. They might not begin to speak as early as other children do. They might also have a hard time with the muscle skills needed for things like playing sports or drawing and writing.
  1. Restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior. Children with ASD might rock their bodies, repeat phrases, or become upset with changes in their routines. They’re often deeply interested in one subject. They also have sensory issues.
<<<snip

Hope that helps.

They have to dot their iiiiiii and cross their tttttt, track sources,verify facts. It's not like TV where Jessica Fletcher can solve a murder in one hrs time.

Yeah but FIVE years? It seems to be a fairly easy thing to investigate?

I'm super curious about what we dont know in this. There's obviously a lot more.

Children with zero previous medical care documented, no birth records, AND a physical condition which makes determining their ages nearly impossible (her orthopedic condition is one of them) rules out 'corrupt Drs.' for me. There are two children's hospitals in Indianapolis- and (in true child abuse fashion) parent(s) took her to both seeking an opinion that fit their narrative. This falls on the parents and the parents alone.

She had travelled from Ukraine to the rolling hills and cornfields of Indiana, only to wind up on her own in a strange city. When police checked in with the girl in September 2014, it had been more than a year since she had seen or heard from her adoptive parents, who had changed her age from 11 to 22 on official documents and rented her an apartment before moving to Canada and leaving her behind.

That was only the start of the bizarre criminal case enveloping Michael and Kristine Barnett, who last week were charged with felony neglect.

According to local media outlets, the couple, who have since divorced, haven't denied abandoning the girl just a little more than two years after they adopted her. But they disagree about whether she actually was a child - or an adult pretending to be one.

Authorities have said that the girl suffers from a rare bone growth disorder that results in dwarfism. But Kristine Barnett, 45, told WISH-TV that even using the term "girl" to describe her was inaccurate. She told the station that the adoption was a "scam" and that the girl was a diagnosed psychopath and sociopath, who had been an adult the entire time they knew her.
Girl's age changed from 11 to 22 before she was allegedly abandoned in rented apartment

She had travelled from Ukraine to the rolling hills and cornfields of Indiana, only to wind up on her own in a strange city. When police checked in with the girl in September 2014, it had been more than a year since she had seen or heard from her adoptive parents, who had changed her age from 11 to 22 on official documents and rented her an apartment before moving to Canada and leaving her behind.

That was only the start of the bizarre criminal case enveloping Michael and Kristine Barnett, who last week were charged with felony neglect.

According to local media outlets, the couple, who have since divorced, haven't denied abandoning the girl just a little more than two years after they adopted her. But they disagree about whether she actually was a child - or an adult pretending to be one.

Authorities have said that the girl suffers from a rare bone growth disorder that results in dwarfism. But Kristine Barnett, 45, told WISH-TV that even using the term "girl" to describe her was inaccurate. She told the station that the adoption was a "scam" and that the girl was a diagnosed psychopath and sociopath, who had been an adult the entire time they knew her.
Girl's age changed from 11 to 22 before she was allegedly abandoned in rented apartment

Clearly the woman saw the Orphan.

Two doctors confirmed a young age based on bone examination.

Yeah but FIVE years? It seems to be a fairly easy thing to investigate?

I'm super curious about what we dont know in this. There's obviously a lot more.

The investigators had to verify her correct birth date, among other details. Since she had no birth certificate, this process would be difficult, expensive, and time consuming. Try to imagine how hard it would be meet this requirement. They had to deal with multiple layers of government in three different countries. It had to have been a huge, co-ordinated effort. Really it's a wonder that investigators were able to achieve this in five years.

Q'n - has anyone read where the suspects were living in Canada?

Yes, and no, it seems:

Most Children With Autism Diagnosed at 5 or Older

You can, but they're not usually, and in my experience, it wouldn't be unusual for someone with "exceptional" children to Munchausen them into it for attention. I'd be interested to know if she ever gave the source of her son's diagnosis.

She does give the source of her son’s diagnosis in her book. He was around 2 1/2 then.

Parents accused of abandoning adopted child in apartment; mom says it’s a ‘scam’

“News 8 went to the house on the far east side near East 16th Street and Post Road listed as the home of Kristine Barnett aka Kristine Pearson. No one appeared to be home.

But at Michael’s home at West 63rd Street and Michigan Road, the people inside refused to answer the door.”

An aside, her residence is in one of the most crime ridden areas of Indianapolis.

MAP: Indy's Most Dangerous Neighborhoods 2017 (16th and Post- located in the far right red area on map.)

Clearly the woman saw the Orphan.

Two doctors confirmed a young age based on bone examination.
So far everyone but Her is cooperating with the investigation. Her ex stated they knew she was a minor before they abandoned her. That says a lot. The fact that she is all over social media, talk shows, writing books etc. Singing her own glorious praises, yet not once did she ever mention the adopted girl. Says a lot.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member