Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our earliest speculation was that they knew someone in the area, perhaps a guy from BC who worked at the Keeyask hydro project.

Their encounter with Split Lake band constables may have prevented a rendezvous with that contact, if we accept that speculation.

Any particular piece of information that let to that speculation, or was it just a theory? I don’t remember reading this and I combed through all the threads with surgical meticulousness (but admittedly there’s so much in these threads I probably just forgot I read it :rolleyes:)

The reason I don’t think anything regarding the video will be included in the final investigation, even if they did confess, is because it gives the impression it was by sheer luck the RCMP initially identified the two as armed and dangerous suspects and embarked on a huge manhunt and by gosh, see what they said in the video, police were right.

I think the general public is interested in knowing the evidence that initially led the RCMP to identify them as suspects and why no other suspects are being sought much the same way as the Crown would summarize it during criminal proceedings. That the two later chose to avoid a criminal trial by the taking their own lives really has no direct connection to why police embarked on the manhunt in the first place, other than the fact their deaths became the reason they can’t be prosecuted.

I don't think acknowledging the existence of the video - even if it actually contained a detailed description of every crime and a clear confession from the two suspects (who knows, but I seriously doubt this) - makes it look like it was "sheer luck" that the two were initially identified as suspects. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by that @MistyWaters , so perhaps you could further explain?

We don't know what is on the video. But, I would expect it will be referred to in the final report IF it in some way corroborates the story told by the other accumulated evidence. For example, suppose in the video KM or BS is wearing something related to one of the victims - a kind of trophy - then I would expect that to be described in the final report as part of the confirmation that KM and BS are the correct suspects.

I agree the general public would want to know why the RCMP pursued them as suspects and what was known at that time that set off the subsequent search. But we also want to know what they have discovered since that time that makes them still certain they have the right guys.

MOO.

SBM. I have thought this as well. I believe Kam was unable to express himself fully, for whatever reason, possibly due to family dynamics. That's why he always put on a good front, seemed "nice", "considerate", "funny", "happy". He never would have revealed himself to anyone the way Bryer did (except, obviously, to Bryer). I also agree Kam's smiles look genuine, however, none as happy as the one he displays in the Instagram photo with Bryer. All MOO.

This is another reason why I think if they were indeed responsible for these murders, that it wasn't planned. I really do think something triggered them.

@Jan424 This an excellent observation. I think that photo was meant to speak volumes of the dynamics of their relationship. I mean it's a public photo. Bryer wanted everyone to know. They probably both did. I might be misremembering but didn't Bryer change it after they left on the 12th? My coworker and I wondered if that photo was taken on Kam's Birthday in April or when they finally reached their final decision to embark on this life adventure. (I say adventure because I think it started out as a road trip and a potential move to have a better life together.) To date, it was very likely the biggest thing they had ever done. They must have talked about this for months. We also wondered if this was the first time Bryer had ever been off Vancouver Island. I still can't accept that any of this was premeditated because why would they pack their entire lives into a camper just to throw it all away in a fire. I'm a gamer too and if someone told me I had to burn my Xbox Scorpio it better be a matter of life or death. Gaming is expensive! I'd probably still attempt to smuggle it. As @CanadianSleuther said, something most definitely triggered that kind of irrational behavior and the subsequent sacrificing of prized possessions.

Last edited:
I don't think acknowledging the existence of the video - even if it actually contained a detailed description of every crime and a clear confession from the two suspects (who knows, but I seriously doubt this) - makes it look like it was "sheer luck" that the two were initially identified as suspects. Maybe I don't understand what you mean by that @MistyWaters , so perhaps you could further explain?

We don't know what is on the video. But, I would expect it will be referred to in the final report IF it in some way corroborates the story told by the other accumulated evidence. For example, suppose in the video KM or BS is wearing something related to one of the victims - a kind of trophy - then I would expect that to be described in the final report as part of the confirmation that KM and BS are the correct suspects.

I agree the general public would want to know why the RCMP pursued them as suspects and what was known at that time that set off the subsequent search. But we also want to know what they have discovered since that time that makes them still certain they have the right guys.

MOO.

I wonder if people are beginning to believe an entire morbid videoed documentary exists, when nothing has been confirmed beyond a 30 second “Last Will and Testament”.

JMO, the final police update will be a great disappointment if there’s an expectation it will consist of anything beyond summarizing all the evidence which led police to identify the two as suspects, along with prior factual background information that may’ve be involved in why the two committed the vicious murder of three random, innocent strangers.

The RCMP will require no words from beyond the grave to prove why this case is closed upon the deaths of the suspects. The three innocent murder victims had no opportunity to say goodbye.

@Jan424 This an excellent observation. I think that photo was meant to speak volumes of the dynamics of their relationship. I mean it's a public photo. Bryer wanted everyone to know. They probably both did. I might be misremembering but didn't Bryer change it after they left on the 12th? My coworker and I wondered if that photo was taken on Kam's Birthday in April or when they finally reached their final decision to embark on this life adventure. (I say adventure because I think it started out as a road trip and a potential move to have a better life together.) To date, it was very likely the biggest thing they had ever done. They must have talked about this for months. We also wondered if this was the first time Bryer had ever been off Vancouver Island. I still can't accept that any of this was premeditated because why would they pack their entire lives into a camper just to throw it all away in a fire. I'm a gamer too and if someone told me I had to burn my Xbox Scorpio it better be a matter of life or death. Gaming is expensive! I'd probably still attempt to smuggle it. As @CanadianSleuther said, something most definitely triggered that kind of irrational behavior and the subsequent sacrificing of prized possessions.

After murdering three innocent people, I think they “sacrificed prized possessions” because their real life game became avoiding detection and arrest for murder. The burning of the truck and camper so close to LDs body speaks to setting an intentional waving the flag - “catch us if you can”.

So upon fleeing in a stolen vehicle belonging to one of their victims, they’d certainly be smart enough to know they wouldn’t be signing on to play their favourite video games anytime soon especially if they naively hoped to become survivalists living out their lives peacefully in the remote north, after successfully outsmarting police.

I also think it’s important to remember they just didn’t die by suicide at a time and place of their choice. They were sought by police and on the verge of being arrested, even though SM opinion had them successfully escaping here, there and everywhere else, rather than cornered by the RCMP in the bush north of Gillam.

Last edited:
After murdering three innocent people, I think they “sacrificed prized possessions” because their real life game became avoiding detection and arrest for murder. The burning of the truck and camper so close to LDs body speaks to setting an intentional waving the flag - “catch us if you can”.

So upon fleeing in a stolen vehicle belonging to one of their victims, they’d certainly be smart enough to know they wouldn’t be signing on to play their favourite video games anytime soon especially if they naively hoped to become survivalists living out their lives peacefully in the remote north, after successfully outsmarting police.

I also think it’s important to remember they just didn’t die by suicide at a time and place of their choice. They were sought by police and on the verge of being arrested, even though SM opinion had them successfully escaping here, there and everywhere else, rather than cornered by the RCMP in the bush north of Gillam.

I was speaking more to the fact they actually took all their prized possessions along with them on the trip. That tells me there was no desire to return to Port Alberni. Those level of gaming PC's are investments. It's like owning a car. They're expensive and the PC gamers I know it's like the love of their life. I'm not a PC gamer, I'm a console gamer but I wholly understand the attachment. I can assure you, Kam and Bryer leaving that stuff behind was devastating in its own right. This tells me, initially, no murder was intended. They seemed to be intent on moving, finding jobs and having a life together. Something changed after they left. What that is or was we still don't know. We do know it was murder, we don't know why or what the catalyst was. I wouldn't call the burning of the Dodge and Camper "waving a red flag" or "come and get us." We don't know that. As I asked last night, why was Leonard left so close and visible from the road? Why burn the Dodge and Camper at all? Why abandon a classic pickup and effectively your home? There has to be something else, murder aside. I sense more fear, panic and hastiness than I would call it cockiness, confidence and taunting.

Last edited:
I’m
I wonder if people are beginning to believe an entire morbid videoed documentary exists, when nothing has been confirmed beyond a 30 second “Last Will and Testament”.

JMO, the final police update will be a great disappointment if there’s an expectation it will consist of anything beyond summarizing all the evidence which led police to identify the two as suspects, along with prior factual background information that may’ve be involved in why the two committed the vicious murder of three random, innocent strangers.

The RCMP will require no words from beyond the grave to prove why this case is closed upon the deaths of the suspects. The three innocent murder victims had no opportunity to say goodbye.

I think the RCMP will probably release the videos to the families, as long as the content is “appropriate” (ie, no content that might be considered disturbing/excessively distressing). These would be the final images they have of their loved ones, after all. But I don’t know if there is red tape that would prevent that from happening (maybe someone can enlighten me).

I have the idea that the videos were just more of a diary-style documentation of their thoughts and feelings after the fact of whatever happened. I would not be surprised if at one point they said something along the lines of, “this never should have happened.” This is strictly being informed by my intuition and not based on any facts.

I understand that the public has no need to view the videos so if they are not released to us, I wouldn’t be perplexed by that decision. Of course, I (along with many others here, I’m sure) would like to see them. Just to know. But that doesn’t mean we should, or will. We’ll see.

Yes, all very true, @SovereignSnake. There is no question that one photo says it all about their relationship. It felt happy, carefree, and totally unconditional. I think some others here had an approximate date of when they thought the photo was changed on Instagram, and it was indeed after they left PA. Now, as for the planning vs no planning on the killings, this is where I flip flop. I admit that I'm still going back and forth in my own mind, and the computers have been one of a few sticking points. But the speed in which the events unfolded is what leads me to think more along the lines of some premeditation. I'm not saying there was any definite plan laid out, however, they had to have some nefarious conversations or thoughts, no? How can they just set out to look for jobs and a new life and, a mere 3 weeks later have killed 3 people, torched 2 cars (one stolen), set off an intense manhunt, and shot themselves to death. Even if the killings of Chynna and Lucas began as a robbery .... who even thinks of robbing someone along the road? I've been doubtful they were going to look for work, but I do believe they wanted to leave PA, likely for good. Maybe they figured they would see what killing felt like and simply get away with it .... maybe the freedom and remoteness of the open roads put them in a homicidal frame of mind, so they made a game out of real life with real people. Didn't Bryer at one time say "imagine if this was real", when talking about gaming? I do agree something caused them to snap (for lack of a better word), but I still think there had to have been some "talk" prior to this trip. Sorry if I'm rambling at this point ... just speculating on a few of many possibilities. All MOO!

I was speaking more to the fact they actually took all their prized possessions along with them on the trip. That tells me there was no desire to return to Port Alberni. Those level of gaming PC's are investments. It's like owning a car. They're expensive and the PC gamers I know it's like the love of their life. I'm not a PC gamer, I'm a console gamer but I wholly understand the attachment. I can assure you, Kam and Bryer leaving that stuff behind was devastating in its own right. This tells me, initially, no murder was intended. They seemed to be intent on moving, finding jobs and having a life together. Something changed after they left. What that is or was we still don't know. We do know it was murder, we don't know why or what the catalyst was. I wouldn't call the burning of the Dodge and Camper "waving a red flag" or "come and get us." We don't know that. As I asked last night, why was Leonard left so close and visible from the road? Why burn the Dodge and Camper at all? Why abandon a classic pickup and effectively your home? There has to be something else, murder aside. I sense more fear, panic and hastiness than I would call it cockiness, confidence and taunting.

According to the RCMP, there’s evidence linking both crime scenes to B&K. So 4 days after the murder of L&C, it’s unlikely they’d suddenly become overcome with fear and panic upon the murder (death) of LD, given they benefited by taking his vehicle. Stealing an innocent person’s vehicle who’s killed at the scene involves planning and intent, it doesn’t just happen by accident.

According to the RCMP, there’s evidence linking both crime scenes to B&K. So 4 days after the murder of L&C, it’s unlikely they’d suddenly become overcome with fear and panic upon the murder (death) of LD, given they benefited by taking his vehicle. Stealing an innocent person’s vehicle who’s killed at the scene involves planning and intent, it doesn’t just happen by accident.

The thing is, we just can’t say anything for certain regarding motive or mind-state. Because we do not have enough information to speak confidently to that. There are so, so, so many conflicting factors in this case, which is what keeps us discussing it over and over.

The RCMP have enough evidence in their possession to connect them to both crimes. However, we don’t know what was and was not premeditated. Like I said, we don’t have that information. I could see the murder of Leonard Dyck being completely unplanned, just by virtue of how brazen it was.

We don’t know the nature of the connections the RCMP has made. We can make educated guesses, but that’s it. My heart aches for the 5 families involved, I imagine the void of information doesn’t make any of this any easier.

Anyway. I’m very wary of saying anything here with any conviction.

I’d say it’s very, very likely they were directly involved in Leonard Dyck’s murder. It’s hard to argue against that, considering they stole his vehicle and left theirs burning not far from the scene of the crime. That’s tough evidence to negate, and I’m not trying to do so. Why did they do that, though, why?

This is not the work of cold, calculating murderers. If it was, I imagine there would be more finesse. More hiding of evidence. They could have hidden a lot that was left out in the open. People say it was because they wanted to be chased for the thrill of it, but then why high-tail it all the way up to Gillam? They would not have even had the opportunity to bask in the so-called notoriety, because by the time they were named suspects, they were in an area of no contact with the outside world. In their travels they seemed desperate to just hide.

We can’t say whether or not they enjoyed themselves, or felt regret, or the degree of fear they may have experienced. Once again, contradicting myself because this case is contradictory.

J.M.O.

Last edited:
The thing is, we just can’t say anything for certain regarding motive or mind-state. Because we do not have enough information to speak confidently to that. There are so, so, so many conflicting factors in this case, which is what keeps us discussing it over and over.

The RCMP have enough evidence in their possession to connect them to both crimes. However, we don’t know what was and was not premeditated. Like I said, we don’t have that information. I could see the murder of Leonard Dyck being completely unplanned, just by virtue of how brazen it was.

We don’t know the nature of the connections the RCMP has made. We can make educated guesses, but that’s it. My heart aches for the 5 families involved, I imagine the void of information doesn’t make any of this any easier.

I’d say it’s very, very likely they were directly involved in Leonard Dyck’s murder. It’s hard to argue against that, considering they stole his vehicle and left theirs burning not far from the scene of the crime. That’s tough evidence to negate, and I’m not trying to do so.

But we can’t say whether or not they enjoyed themselves, or felt regret, or the degree of fear they may have experienced. Once again, contradicting myself because this case is contradictory.

J.M.O.

We don’t know what level of violence the crimes scenes revealed but the police do. There certainly was alarming intensity in the RCMP’s wording of their public alerts.

“RCMP investigators believe Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky are considered to be armed and extremely dangerous. If you see these individuals, do NOT take action and do NOT approach. Call 911 immediately.”
Twitter

I’d say it’s very, very likely they were directly involved in Leonard Dyck’s murder. It’s hard to argue against that, considering they stole his vehicle and left theirs burning not far from the scene of the crime. That’s tough evidence to negate, and I’m not trying to do so. Why did they do that, though, why?

This is not the work of cold, calculating murderers. If it was, I imagine there would be more finesse. More hiding of evidence. They could have hidden a lot that was left out in the open. People say it was because they wanted to be chased for the thrill of it, but then why high-tail it all the way up to Gillam? They would not have even had the opportunity to bask in the so-called notoriety, because by the time they were named suspects, they were in an area of no contact with the outside world. In their travels they seemed desperate to just hide.

We can’t say whether or not they enjoyed themselves, or felt regret, or the degree of fear they may have experienced. Once again, contradicting myself because this case is contradictory.

J.M.O.

We don’t know what level of violence the crimes scenes revealed but the police do. There certainly was alarming intensity in the RCMP’s wording of their public alerts.

“RCMP investigators believe Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky are considered to be armed and extremely dangerous. If you see these individuals, do NOT take action and do NOT approach. Call 911 immediately.”
Twitter

Organized Versus Disorganized Serial Predators

"Disorganized crimes, in contrast, are not planned and the criminals typically leave evidence such as fingerprints or blood at the scene of the murder. There is often no attempt to move or otherwise conceal the corpse after the murder. Disorganized criminals may be young, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or mentally ill. They often have deficient communication and social skills and may be below average in intelligence. The disorganized offender is likely to come from an unstable or dysfunctional family.

They are often isolated from others, live alone and are frightened or confused during the commission of their murders.

Significantly, disorganized killers will often “blitz” their victims—that is, use sudden and overwhelming force to assault them. The victim’s body is usually left where the attack took place and the killer makes no attempt to hide it."

But why not torch the van? If that was seemingly Kam and Bryer's MO? If they indeed killed Lucas and Chynna and no one saw them in the middle of the night (and as far as we know no one did) surely no one would notice if they torched the van and immediately fled the area. Why 4 days of virtually complete silence before Leonard? Something happened. Did they know someone was on to them? Did they really kill Lucas and Chynna or was it someone else connected to Kam and Bryer? A third party perhaps? That is still a possibility. Why did the pyromania start with Leonard and end in Gillam? Why were they so concerned with anyone finding the RAV intact in that kind of wilderness? I'm not saying stealing the RAV was not premeditated, it was certainly planned after killing Leonard. But was killing Leonard planned or an accident? Again, we don't know. But the manner in which Kam and Bryer left things at the crime scene looks and sounds like they panicked and got out of there in a big hurry.

Twitter

This is exactly what I am curious about. The intensity of wording — they must have had their reasons.

I said previously that it would make sense, given that Chynna and Lucas were international, and Lucas was the son of an officer. And Leonard Dyck was a highly respected, gentle soul of a man. A lot of eyes on the case, a lot of pressure.

Not to mention the speed and brutality of the crimes. I guess this is an idiosyncratic case requiring an idiosyncratic response.

@NJSleuth91 ah, yes, familiar with this concept, and yes, this fits the narrative. If they were the killers, they would fit well into the category of Disorganized. Horribly, horribly disorganized. It would also confirm my idea that they had a lot of fear throughout the whole process.

I do believe it is also one hundred times more complicated, whatever happened.

@NJSleuth91 ah, yes, familiar with this concept, and yes, this fits the narrative. If they were the killers, they would fit well into the category of Disorganized. Horribly, horribly disorganized. It would also confirm my idea that they had a lot of fear throughout the whole process.

I do believe it is also one hundred times more complicated, whatever happened.

They were pretty much as disorganized as it's possible to be, and also fit the general profile of those killers (Bryer especially).

When I first read this article, I thought "they are frightened or confused during the commission of their murders" was kind of weird. Like, "why are YOU frightened and confused...you are perpetrating fear and confusion onto innocent people!"

But I can see it for these guys. All of their decisions, from the 19th on at least, seem to be heavily tinged with confusion and fear. I can see them going into the first murders not even being entirely sure what was going to happen, maybe with some vague intent to cause mayhem and lord power over innocent strangers to feel powerful for once in their lives, but not necessarily intending for it to end in murder. Or (for the first murders) expecting murder to be different from how it actually ended up being, maybe expecting it to be more cinematic or like in a video game. Or even being like in the middle of it "WTF? Is this really happening? Am I really doing this?"

I think Professor Dyck's murder was more opportunistic for his vehicle. I think they got freaked out after Lucas and Chynna were identified on the 18th and digital signs were put up asking for dashcam footage. They may have gotten paranoid that someone saw them. Either way I don't think there was much rational thinking going on.

There were nine evidence markers at Professor Dyck's crime scene, which people speculated might be shell casings. That definitely fits with "blitzing" their victims.

This is not the work of cold, calculating murderers. If it was, I imagine there would be more finesse. More hiding of evidence. They could have hidden a lot that was left out in the open. People say it was because they wanted to be chased for the thrill of it, but then why high-tail it all the way up to Gillam?

J.M.O.
SBM
I also am wary of saying much here with any sort of conviction because, as you said, we just don’t have enough evidence. It’s true K&B were not hardened criminals. I'm wondering though if their victims were left as they were, out in the open, simply because they didn’t care how they left them. Since all 3 murders have been described as “brutal” and it appears there was a fair amount of violence involved.... even the back van window was blown out.... perhaps they just mercilessly killed them and had no concern how they left them to die. They only cared about their self preservation. I can’t figure out the torching of both vehicles except it had to be a) trying to destroy evidence or b) that was their calling card. Of course, there could be a reason c & d but sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one. Once again, just total speculation, I have no answers to the reasoning of K&B, yet I still keep rehashing different possibilities in my mind.
All MOO

Organized Versus Disorganized Serial Predators

"Disorganized crimes, in contrast, are not planned and the criminals typically leave evidence such as fingerprints or blood at the scene of the murder. There is often no attempt to move or otherwise conceal the corpse after the murder. Disorganized criminals may be young, under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or mentally ill. They often have deficient communication and social skills and may be below average in intelligence. The disorganized offender is likely to come from an unstable or dysfunctional family.

They are often isolated from others, live alone and are frightened or confused during the commission of their murders.

Significantly, disorganized killers will often “blitz” their victims—that is, use sudden and overwhelming force to assault them. The victim’s body is usually left where the attack took place and the killer makes no attempt to hide it."
Wow.... this sounds like it could have been written about K&B. IMO
ETA: though I’m not sure how Kam and Bryer were “frightened or confused” while killing... especially Prof Dyck. Everything else sounds spot on for those two. JMO

Last edited:
When I first read this article, I thought "they are frightened or confused during the commission of their murders" was kind of weird.
Or (for the first murders) expecting murder to be different from how it actually ended up being, maybe expecting it to be more cinematic or like in a video game.
SBM
Admittedly, the “fear and confusion” part still sounds weird to me but I can definitely see them thinking murder would be similar to their video games. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname