Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #113

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can LE determine from a DNA sample whether the person is right or left handed?

Doubt it. I haven't read of any studies that found the "left-handed" gene. Families claim that left-handedness is genetic, others claim that a talent for music is genetic. It doesn't look like anyone is looking at those types of genetics yet.

I’m a leftie, except when I used to play softball. I threw righthanded and batted righthanded. But that was because I had to use my Dad’s glove when I was learning, and I was pretty young. So I had to be a rightie there. I play the guitar right handed because I learned to play on my Grandaddy’s guitar strung for a righthander. I play tennis and golf, brush my teeth, write, everything else left handed.
A friend of mine in high school thought more left handers were ambidextrous because the world was made for right handers and lefties were constantly being forced to use their right hands whether they wanted to or not. I thought it was a pretty good theory.
Also, I spent an entire tennis season serving right handed when I hurt my shoulder. I would serve, then switch my racket to my left hand for ground strokes etc. It was not a problem. But felt a little awkward.
As we’ve all discussed before, the gun that appears to be in BG’s pocket looks like it’s positioned for a left hander. I guess the question is, if that is so, does that eliminate 90% of the population from consideration? Or since lefties are not always 100% leftie does that still leave it wide open. My opinion is it still leaves it wide open.
Well, I don't know enough about the science of it all, but I would think that I would put my gun in the pocket closest to the hand I would use to pull it out. It would be very awkward to pull it out with the opposite hand and, likewise, awkward to move it from one side of the body to the other to shoot with it.

So, IMO, if there's a gun in his left pocket, he's at least a left-handed shooter which would narrow the field substantially.

Doubt it. I haven't read of any studies that found the "left-handed" gene. Families claim that left-handedness is genetic, others claim that a talent for music is genetic. It doesn't look like anyone is looking at those types of genetics yet.

It is unlikely one gene, not even a genoset. Probably, an array of genes, each one either augmenting or cancelling the previous one, and they code not for handedness, but some neuronal growth factors, for example.

Seems like a bit of a stretch between causation and coincident:

Left-handedness analysis revealed an increase in functional connectivity between left and right language networks, brain development and patterning, and the predisposition towards a pathogenesis of diseases to develop certain neurological and psychiatric diseases. (summarized)​

Handedness, language areas and neuropsychiatric diseases: insights from brain imaging and genetics

Seems like a bit of a stretch between causation and coincident:

Left-handedness analysis revealed an increase in functional connectivity between left and right language networks, brain development and patterning, and the predisposition towards a pathogenesis of diseases to develop certain neurological and psychiatric diseases. (summarized)​

Handedness, language areas and neuropsychiatric diseases: insights from brain imaging and genetics

This article is among “further studies needed”.
SOME DISORDERS APPEAR TO BE LINKED TO BEING LEFT-HANDED

One thing is interesting

“On average, Dr. Geschwind believes that about 70 percent of the population has standard brain dominance, with the left side of the brain controlling language and handedness, making most of those individuals right-handed. The remaining 30 percent of people have more symmetrical brain dominance, and of these about a third are strongly left-handed.”

So probably, right-and left-handedness are not discrete traits, but lie on a continuum.

(And where BG carries the gun - God only knows).

Last edited:
To my knowledge there is nothing what so ever to support BG was left-handed. 90% of the population is right handed and we have nothing to say otherwise.

However, LE would have a lot easier time speculating on that based on the the damage to the bodies.

I.E. right handed people are more likely to cause more damage to the left side of the victims body and vice versa. That he used a hand to hand weapon and not a projectile.

Anyways, how much weight does this forum put into the leaked text messages that where sent from the one of the family members that found the body?

I do put weight into the leaked texts. I think it is not the whole story, and probably, there was more damage to the bodies, I mean, if the LE said it was out of nightmares, it must have been. By the same token, by the nature of the damages, the LE would be able to determine handedness, right?

By the same token, by the nature of the damages, the LE would be able to determine handedness, right?

A (fiendishly) clever perp could switch weapon hands for the assault. Unlikely, but possible. This may not be a surefire way to determine handedness. It could suggest which hand was used, not necessarily the perp's handedness.

We are not permitted to discuss anything to with leaked anything about this case it is considered rumour. I don’t want the thread to be locked indefinitely as it has in the past @Charlot123

It's also getting very silly IMO, although i guess that's what happens when there's nothing new to talk about. Hopefully there's a break or new info soon.

I do put weight into the leaked texts. I think it is not the whole story, and probably, there was more damage to the bodies, I mean, if the LE said it was out of nightmares, it must have been. By the same token, by the nature of the damages, the LE would be able to determine handedness, right?

Well, yeah unless he used some sort of projectile or rope. Even with things like guns the bullet trajectory gives you information on which hand the assailant favors. I believe the majority of the ways you can harm someone gives off clues of which hand you favor.

What is the source of the "leaked texts"? If it was MSM, that's okay, but otherwise it is rumor and off-limits.

We are not permitted to discuss anything to with leaked anything about this case it is considered rumour. I don’t want the thread to be locked indefinitely as it has in the past @Charlot123

I answered a question. I don’t know what is MSM and what is not anymore, everything has been chewed so many times.

Part of it might be from Reddit. Part, from LE. So, maybe a mixture?

Thanks Charlot123.

Well, Reddit is definitely off-limits, so until/unless someone can provide a link to LE stating the same information that was in the "leaked texts", the topic is off-limits.

Welcome and TY for coming to WS. Some of us believe he is wearing a deer kit on his waist (the brown thing hanging below his jacket on his right side) and has an outline of a gun visible in his right jacket pocket. On page one of every thread there is a media thread and an image thread, which is helpful to look thru if you have time. It is quicker than trying to read all previous 112 threads. There is also a link to a police scanner thread with info that cannot be discussed on this main thread and must stay in that private thread.

Thank you tresir and others! Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply to this before now, have been reading and catching up. Such a sad story. Here's hoping we sleuthers can do something to help.

It isnt random. Nobody has any idea what theyre talking about thinking it was some random attack. People assume it was random because one of the girls took a video of the supposed perp but the truth is she was taking pictures and having her phone out probably the entire time.

It isnt random. Nobody has any idea what theyre talking about thinking it was some random attack. People assume it was random because one of the girls took a video of the supposed perp but the truth is she was taking pictures and having her phone out probably the entire time.
What makes you think they were targeted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnceAgain