TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So am I reading right that some think this case is only being prosecuted because she is white and he is black? Wow. I hope justice is served. If I drive my car and hit someone because I was distracted im still liable. She is culpable and should be punished. Her depraved indifference afterwards disgusts me

I think the prosecution is only being questioned because of the racial disparity. If it was opposite I don't believe many would be trying to protect her.

Wow I just heard myself speak in a Stallone Voice "NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW" if Bo was my child I don't know what I'd do but I would never stop fighting for him.
If he was my child riots would be the least of my thoughts. Burn the whole corrupt system. If she walks it solidifies for me that some people, depending on their job and locale, ARE in fact, above the law.

I for one am not saying that’s it’s only being prosecuted for that reason. I am saying it’s getting this national attention and public outcry for the murder charge for that reason. I think had it not been for the public outcry she would’ve been charged with manslaughter which was the original suggestion and certainly she should be convicted of. IMO

I see your point. It's a cynical one but not illogical. But isn't it interesting that the Texas Ranger who supposedly got rid of the manslaughter charge and advocates a murder charge (not sure how that worked) also feels she's not guilty of any crime per his testimony?

I see your point. It's a cynical one but not illogical. But isn't it interesting that the Texas Ranger who supposedly got rid of the manslaughter charge and advocates a murder charge (not sure how that worked) also feels she's not guilty of any crime per his testimony?
I thought it was the Grand Jury, not the Texas Ranger, who recommended the murder charge. No?

By November 2018, a grand jury had upped the charge against Guyger from manslaughter to murder, and she now faces life in prison. Under a manslaughter charge, she faced 20 years in prison, according to the AP.

The Former Police Officer Who Shot Botham Jean is Now on Trial. Here's What To Know About Amber Guyger's Case

Last edited:
But, if you WERE a cop and you DID fire your weapon - as was the case in this event - Would you have rendered aid while the victim lay bleeding and dying or would you be worried about your job and texting your special friend?

That's what I really cannot get past. The body cams showed that the police had to rummage through his apartment to find something to try and stop the bleeding which means that SHE did nothing in the minutes it took someone else to show up and give the man some aid.

I still think they've overcharged her with the murder charge. I'm not heartless person who think she deserves the death penalty or even 20+ years. (Of which there are many, if the boards and comments around the web are to be believed.) I don't know what a proper term of punishment should be, but I do know that "free and clear" isn't it.

I would definitely render aid. I think.

She was in cover her tail mode IMO.

I'm with you. I don't know a proper sentence. It's not about what a life is worth. Jean'a life was worth a lot. Seems like a beautiful man.

But justice in America isn't about an eye for an eye or righting injustices in the past with how we treat culprits now.

It's dependent on level of criminals mindset and level of harm caused. And background of perp. Criminal history. Remorse.

Deterrent is super important too.

I don't know. Depends on jury instructions.

Maybe 4-10?

News Flash: They Are.
Im moving further towards agreeing with you. I lived less than 5 miles from that Costco in Corona. That case and this one have me wondering why this is, that there is another standard for LEO off duty. I already get the thin blue line and on duty officers *hello Philando* but I thought off duty would place them as civilians. My fault, as the video shows in this case, that could not be further from the truth

We don't know what the instructions to the jury will be at this point. They could be given instructions to deliberate on anything.

I often felt that CA would be in prison now, if they hadn't gone for the death penalty. That was a definite mistake.

The jury instructions in the Anthony case allowed for multiple options as to conviction.

1st degree murder
Second degree
3rd degree felony murder
Aggravated manslaughter of a child
Aggravated child abuse
Child abuse

Charging a more serious crime doesn't mean the jury's hands are tied.

Last edited:
I would definitely render aid. I think.

She was in cover her tail mode IMO.

I'm with you. I don't know a proper sentence. It's not about what a life is worth. Jean'a life was worth a lot. Seems like a beautiful man.

But justice in America isn't about an eye for an eye or righting injustices in the past with how we treat culprits now.

It's dependent on level of criminals mindset and level of harm caused. And background of perp. Criminal history. Remorse.

Deterrent is super important too.

I don't know. Depends on jury instructions.

Maybe 4-10?
Based on harm caused, death is pretty significant no?

I had to leave and got back in time to hear the judge dismiss the jury for the day. Why was AG crying? Did I miss something important?

I'd missed that but watched just now and I don't have a clue. The last witness was the crime scene analyst. Guyger was definitely sobbing, even another member of her team seemed close to tears.

Me too Ive already heard chatter about it from the younger ones on my FB! I can tell if she walks it will be bad!!!

I hope they don't. But frankly I get it. The hopeless rage that the community must feel after a lifetime of constant injustices.

It's funny though how appalled society gets when this community riots in utter despair and desperation, but that same society says not one word when a different community riots because their team lost. Or they're celebrating a festival. In that case it's just youth blowing off steam and is somewhow not evidence of their animal instincts or inherent criminality.

And BTW, riots due to things like sports events far outnumber the other kind. I did the math.

I don't think you can say 'regardless'.

Texas' castle doctrine, or castle law, protects you from legal troubles if you are ever placed in a situation where you have to use force or deadly force to protect yourself against an intruder who poses a threat. Gun expert reminds Texans of castle law protections

The intruder has to pose a threat. What was the threat?

It appears that the very act of forceful entry is considered a threat of harm.

But here's more from your link:

"The castle doctrine is something Texas has in place so if anyone unlawfully enters your home or vehicle, especially forcefully, you have the right to use deadly force," Garcia said. "And the law is going to assume you had the right to do so."

Garcia said as long as you feel threatened, that's the key.
"You will have to prove to a jury that any reasonable person would feel the same way," Garcia said. "If they are much larger than you, much stronger than you, or have some type of weapon, yeah, deadly force can be used."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pgam