TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the piece of paper was a copy of something, like a picture or an email? I think this person thinks they had a very good reason to kill Liz but everyone else will be shocked this is the reason she was killed. Makes me wonder if it's something work related, did someone think Liz got them fired or did she get a promotion over someone else? I think someone else mentioned it but on dateline I saw a case where a woman was killed in her home by a former employee who had been stealing from the store they worked at.

Or in her personal life did someone think Liz was having an affair with their husband?( I don't think she was) But could she have had a male friend or coworker with a crazy wife who thought there was more going on?

ETA-I agree with everyone up thread who thinks she was killed by a woman.

But was that a wig? On shooter and I said 3 shots earlier but it actually was 4 shots per LE.

I remember the case in Florida where the mistress dressed as a clown went to wife's door and shot and killed her. It took many many many years to solve.

I thought the shooter was tall at first but when I looked closer, the killer may be just a little taller than Liz. And the lighting may make the legs appear skinnier than they are. Who knows though.

I think this killing when solved is going to cause a huge amount of shock and surprise to a lot of people and I believe that it's going to be solved soon. I certainly hope so. This killer deserves to rot in jail.

Yes, it's common to have garage sales in Houston that start on Friday and even Thursday. If you advertise them, then you have people showing up an hour or more before they start. And most subdivisions allow one garage sale per year only so people don't make a business of it and disturb the neighbors.

And most subdivisions allow one garage sale per year only so people don't make a business of it and disturb the neighbors.

Though the following might be far fetched, there does not seem to be a readily identifiable motive......

Professional garage sale types are not the only ones with a side business. A certain number of the buyers, particularly the early birds also buy and re-sell items as a side business.

I have seen dealers get grabby during thrift store mega sales and I have also seen estate sales with long lists of posted rules designed to prevent various bad behaviors from professional buyers.

Granted- the bad behavior that I have either seen or that was described through the signs falls far short of either murder or serving as a motive for murder.

But....

Maybe the victim had posted that she would be selling say, Star Wars items? A professional buyer or an obsessed collector arrives early for the "score" and shows the victim a print out of the longed for and expected items. The victim informs the murderer that she decided not to sell them. She is then shot in a rage.

As mentioned above, this is far fetched. At the same time, maybe the possible buyer was into Star Wars to the extent that he or she was blurring fiction with reality?

Last edited:
Though the following might be far fetched, there does not seem to be a readily identifiable motive......

Professional garage sale types are not the only ones with a side business. A certain number of the buyers, particularly the early birds also buy and re-sell items as a side business.

I have seen dealers get grabby during thrift store mega sales and I have also seen estate sales with long lists of posted rules designed to prevent various bad behaviors from professional buyers.

Granted- the bad behavior that I have either seen or that was described through the signs falls far short of either murder or serving as a motive for murder.

But....

Maybe the victim had posted that she would be selling say, Star Wars items? A professional buyer or an obsessed collector arrives early for the "score" and shows the victim a print out of the longed for and expected items. The victim informs the murderer that she decided not to sell them. She is then shot in a rage.

As mentioned above, this is far fetched. At the same time, maybe the possible buyer was into Star Wars to the extent that he or she was blurring fiction with reality?

JMO, there may be something to the idea of someone obsessed in the community of cosplay/collectors, etc. Had Elizabeth posted photos or descriptions of the items online before the sale? Apologies for asking, but I didn't recall that part.

And I would expect some competitive spirit among the group.

Maybe she was a threat to someone. It’s really hard to image. But some ppl get bent out of shape over the simplest things.

Maybe someone imagined something that was truly delusional thinking

And I would expect some competitive spirit among the group.

Maybe she was a threat to someone. It’s really hard to image. But some ppl get bent out of shape over the simplest things.

Maybe someone imagined something that was truly delusional thinking

Yes, that's my "hunch" too. Maybe a "grudge collector" type person whose resentment against Elizabeth built over time. The idea it could have been someone resentful over a valuable item she was selling seems plausible. Perhaps she had sold the killer something previously that they thought was a fake? Posted something on a web site or social media that the killer didn't like? Perhaps some ongoing feud in an online forum or social media? If so, other members of their group can, and hopefully have, shared that information with LE.

Anyone on here familar with 501st Legion?

The 501st Legion

I have family members who are active in this group - in a galaxy(state) far far away.

Charity oriented and quite a nurturing family atmosphere is what they tell me. Could be different in other cities. Or could someone obsessed or fixated.

I wish a clue is found soon to bring Liz home to her family.

Last edited:
JMO, there may be something to the idea of someone obsessed in the community of cosplay/collectors, etc. Had Elizabeth posted photos or descriptions of the items online before the sale? Apologies for asking, but I didn't recall that part.

I don’t know what items were being sold.

But, given the lack of a clear motive, I think your possibility is worth pursuing. Advertised collector items of any sort have the potential to bring out fervent collectors. The fact that the possible collectibles would be of interest to a fantasy role player then adds the potential for an individual blurring fantasy and reality.

Maybe the victim’s apparently extensive social media could be scrutinized for promises to sell “the good stuff”. Likewise, I would even send a detective (a sci fi fan who can talk the talk would be ideal) to a cos play convention to inquire if the victim had made verbal offers to sell collectibles, if a particular role player is known to take things to heart fast or who has a fuzzy fantasy and reality dividing line.

Though an unhinged role player is possible, Star Wars role play seems pretty benign and family friendly- though I imagine that some participants are more “into it” than others. This would reduce the odds of an unhinged role player.

In the end, the benign, family fun aspect of Star Wars fantasy is in contrast to other role play universes such as Gorean that apparently features a violent, amoral alternative universe- then mixes in sexual bondage imagery.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t dismiss the yard sale itself as possibly related to the motive, but I find it very unlikely that any rare or highly sought-after collectibles would be sold at a yard sale. Just by the nature of EB being in a club(s) devoted to Star Wars, there are so many different and better opportunities to sell collectible items like that - not to mention online.

The exchange before the shooting was also extremely brief. The shooter certainly seemed to have already made up their mind about what they were doing before “talking about” whatever was written on the paper. This aspect of the attack makes me think that the attack was spurred by a previous exchange that could be quickly validated by what was on the paper OR the paper was left as a message (or even a red herring) for family or investigators.

Last edited:
The way Liz startled and then stopped but didn't move back makes me think that when the killer was in front of her, she recognized the killer, though at first she didn't due to the disguise. She knew the person so that's why she didn't back away. I just wonder if she had seen the gun at that point, and when she saw the gun. I wonder if she thought the gun was not real at first if she did see it. If she thought that person was going to kill her with a gun, she probably would have immediately run towards the house. She had her phone on her or near her I think also.

Here's a thought (this is only speculation). Maybe the detectives have found the truck. It's pretty hard to hide a truck. They can trace registrations of thousands of trucks and hopefully locate it. That will help narrow things down. They will do tests on the truck for dna, hair, etc. Also they will do tests for the IP location of any posts to social media that were done shortly before the crime.

I wouldn’t dismiss the yard sale itself as possibly related to the motive, but I find it very unlikely that any rare or highly sought-after collectibles would be sold at a yard sale. Just by the nature of EB being in a club(s) devoted to Star Wars, there are so many different and better opportunities to sell collectible items like that - not to mention online.

Well said.

Now that I think about it, I have not really seen a lot of collectibles of any type and of any level of value at yard sales.

As you stated, a seller could get a far better price selling speciality Star Wars collectibles or fancy role play gear to club members, convention goers or through a sales forum than by tossing it into the yard sale.

Then factor in that most yard sale shoppers would not only be paying little money, but giving the items to their 10 year old who probably is not going to well, "respect" them for very long. Definetly not a good sales venue for collectibles that the seller is still interested in.

I agree- if the motive was a promised collectible / role play gear sale gone bad with a disrespect element, the yard sale would probably not be the contact point.

Last edited:
Anyone on here familar with 501st Legion?

The 501st Legion

I am not familiar with them or any other role play group, but their website appears to confirm the benign, family friendly hobby image that other sites give to Star Wars role playing.

No hints of adult themes and not even any say, naughty Princess Leia portrayals or modified sexed up storm trooperette gear (well, a sexy storm trooper outfit would be pretty hard to envision). Likewise, nobody seems to specialize in portraying mega "dark side" ultra egos etc.

As you stated, other chapters may take things deeper and there is always a chance of an unhinged participant, but the 501 legion in particular and Star Wars role playing in general does not seem to be fertile ground for such possibilities.

Even still, a detective inquiry at the convention into the possibility of "hard core" sub groups or players known to blur reality and fantasy might not hurt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member