GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Family members are expected to testify about how they were affected by Jean's killing, and Guyger's defense attorneys can argue that she deserves a light sentence because she acted out of sudden fear and confusion. The judge is expected to provide guidance on sentencing law. It is unclear how long the punishment phase of the trial will last.

The jury that convicted Guyger was largely made up of women and people of color.
Jury convicts ex-police officer who fatally shot neighbor

Another Jean family attorney, Ben Crump, called the victim “a near perfect person of color” but said that shouldn’t be a requirement for people of color to get justice in the United States.

A gag order for prosecutors and defense attorneys and witnesses remains in effect until after Guyger’s sentencing, which is expected to begin later Tuesday.
The Latest: Attorneys hail verdict in Dallas ex-cop's trial

Speaking only for me. I did not have faith that a jury would be able to go beyond her uniform and look at the facts as I understood them. I watched the trial and became more convinced of her guilt. When the Castle Doctrine was allowed to be introduced, I saw it as a way to justify her actions while giving Mr. Jean no credit for being in his own home, minding his own business. So, in short, it was about the sway of her being an officer and the kind of investigation that was done initially. I think the charge was right and the verdict is fair.

I agree. Lethal force should be used judiciously, even by LEO. She was not in any danger. She could have followed protocol and called for backup.

I believe that she wanted "a kill". That type of person is wrong for law enforcement.

I
Family members are expected to testify about how they were affected by Jean's killing, and Guyger's defense attorneys can argue that she deserves a light sentence because she acted out of sudden fear and confusion. The judge is expected to provide guidance on sentencing law. It is unclear how long the punishment phase of the trial will last.

The jury that convicted Guyger was largely made up of women and people of color.
Jury convicts ex-police officer who fatally shot neighbor
Thought there were only 4 women. Do you have the breakdown?

“A 26-year-old college-educated black man, certified public accountant, working for one of the big three accounting firms in the world ... it shouldn’t take all of that for unarmed black and brown people in America to get justice,” Benjamin Crump, one of the lawyer’s for Jean’s family, said at a news conference.
Jury convicts ex-police officer who fatally shot neighbour | The Star

I don’t understand why people think this was an accidental killing. She admitted that she intended to kill him. I don’t think she was ever claiming it was an accident. She was claiming self defense, correct?

IMHO, as soon as she admitted that from outside the door she heard noises and went inside to see what the threat was, she was going to be found guilty. She put herself inside after hearing noises which is against department policy.

MOO

Though the issue of race was not mentioned explicitly in the courtroom, the trial unfolded against the backdrop of a diverse city that is 42 percent Hispanic, 29 percent non-Hispanic white and 24 percent black. The mayor of Dallas, the police chief and the Dallas County district attorney are all black, as is the judge presiding over this case. Of the 12 jurors and four alternates, seven are African-American, four appear to be white and five are of other races and ethnicities.

“People in Dallas County worked hard to create an environment where justice is possible,” said S. Lee Merritt, another civil rights lawyer who represents Mr. Jean’s family, and who has worked on other high-profile police shootings.
Amber Guyger, Ex-Dallas Police Officer, Guilty of Murder for Killing Her Neighbor Botham Jean

Correction: Oct. 1, 2019
Because of an editing error, an earlier version of this article described incorrectly the population of Dallas. It is 42 percent Hispanic, 29 percent non-Hispanic white and 24 percent black; it is not 42 percent nonwhite Hispanic.

A home page headline accompanying an earlier version of this article misstated the location of Amber Guyger’s neighbor’s apartment. It was directly above her apartment, not below.

Last edited:
I wonder if it just as bad for a female cop though? Most likely in this case it will be.

I can recall another case where a LE officer was convicted and I distinctly remember that the person was going to be put in segregation from the general population. I dont know if that was just for the immediate beginning or if it was meant to be long term but I do recall in that other case they were going to segregate the person because he was a former LE officer that was now convicted.

So there may be some standard that jails and prisons follow that may segregate them at least for awhile.

I don’t understand why people think this was an accidental killing. She admitted that she intended to kill him. I don’t think she was ever claiming it was an accident. She was claiming self defense, correct?

IMHO, as soon as she admitted that from outside the door she heard noises and went inside to see what the threat was, she was going to be found guilty. She put herself inside after hearing noises which is against department policy.

MOO
It's also against common sense.

I can recall another case where a LE officer was convicted and I distinctly remember that the person was going to be put in segregation from the general population. I dont know if that was just for the immediate beginning or if it was meant to be long term but I do recall in that other case they were going to segregate the person because he was a former LE officer that was now convicted.

So there may be some standard that jails and prisons follow that may segregate them at least for awhile.
Mohamed Noor?

Amber Guyger's new look is no accident, say attorneys skilled in remaking a client

Didn't work......

The new look is intended to reach out to the public and potential jurors, legal experts say. Appearance, they say, can impact how people view criminal defendants.

PWXHUKYX2Z3O64GUZKSPDEQBXU.jpg

I agree. Lethal force should be used judiciously, even by LEO. She was not in any danger. She could have followed protocol and called for backup.

I believe that she wanted "a kill". That type of person is wrong for law enforcement.
She just worked a 13hour exhausting shift, it could also play a factor in her actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa