GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Cobra Jet, Sep 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! We learned a lot from both of you during this trial. Hraefn, you were very helpful in providing regular coverage and comments as it went along.

2. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

I’m going to share an opinion many here may not agree with, but I genuinely believe AG. I believe she thought she parked on her floor, she thought she was at her apartment, she thought there was an intruder, and she thought she had every right to use deadly force to protect her home (I do not think self defense applied to her decision personally) under TX law. After watching the trial I believe she made a huge mistake and completely realizes it and feels awful about it. Whether it’s for herself, for Jean, or both, I sincerely believe she feels awful and parts of me have pity for her. While I don’t carry a firearm, there are definitely times in my own life that I have made huge mistakes that could have ended horribly.

I also think, even assuming the above, that she could legally be found guilty of murder under TX statutes. Her beliefs and mistakes have been found by the jury to be unreasonable, and she admitted she intended to kill Jean when she fired her weapon. That makes her guilty of murder under TX law. Period.

IMO she will get short time, 5-10 with probably half or more being probation/parole.

All JMO.

3. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

4. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ Believer of Miracles

5. CrimeDawg123

CrimeDawg123 Well-Known Member

I've been digging around. I think she will be headed to the Christina Melton Crain prison unit in Gatesville, TX. This is a notoriously horrible place. There are many notable women who've been incarcerated there. I would guess that AG will be separated from the general population? I don't really know how that works.

Lucyray, Bennettfit, Herat and 4 others like this.
  6. wyome

wyome Well-Known Member

Does anyone think it's possible that some of the jurors agreed to go with murder with the understanding that the prison time would be lenient. Were they allowed to even discuss punishment when considering the verdict?

kodi, Cool Cats and Carolina Girl like this.
  7. jackpotfire

jackpotfire Member

Murder in Texas is based on "intent to kill." She stated from the stand more than once she intended to kill. She used those words! She also stated she realized someone was in "her apartment" before she entered. She had other options rather than entering and shooting. To me the it was obviously murder based on these two facts. It is a sad situation all the way around.

8. SailorMoon

SailorMoon Let's go Patriots!!! Rock it Brady!

I'm sure the people that has family violence charges against him obviously feel like they need protection around him. His last big demonstration cost 7 officers their lives. I'll always remember that.

9. Carolina Girl

Carolina Girl Well-Known Member

I am in no way defending her. Every decision she made was wrong, except, anyone trained to use a gun is trained to shoot to kill if you decide to pull the trigger.

Hraefn, Cool Cats, Amster and 2 others like this.
  10. wyome

wyome Well-Known Member

Well said and I'm right there with you.

Hraefn, CrimeDawg123, kodi and 2 others like this.
  11. imstilla.grandma

12. Bennettfit

Bennettfit Well-Known Member

It would be in her best interest to never leave her cell.

13. imstilla.grandma

Lead prosecutor Jason Hermus also hammered Guyger for entering the apartment “to find the threat” rather than back away and seek cover or call for officer assistance over her police radio. He also argued she did not render enough first aid to Jean.

Guyger said she performed a “little” CPR and a sternum rub on Jean.

Hermus, the lead prosecutor, pointed out she never used first aid supplies from the backpack she had when she shot Jean. Guyger testified that her mind was racing while on the phone with a 911 operator. She said it didn’t cross her mind that she had first aid supplies in her backpack.
    Amber Guyger is Found Guilty of Murder in the Shooting Death of Botham Jean in His Apartment

14. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Amber Guyger Trial - Verdict 10/01/19

---

Amber Guyger Post Verdict Press Conference 10/01/19

MsFacetious, Alcina, Lucyray and 6 others like this.
  15. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

That's incorrect. You may be thinking of not sufficient evidence to convict? That's possible grounds to appeal. But that's based on what comes out at trial. Not on charging decisions.

16. blue22

blue22 Well-Known Member

I think it's perfectly possible to believe that she made it to his apartment by 100% mistake, but her reaction to that was unreasonable and qualified the murder conviction. I would say a large number of crimes involve both mistakes and unreasonable/unlawful responses.

17. imstilla.grandma

The case of Amber Guyger, who lost her job on the police force as a result, sparked street protests after prosecutors initially opted to charge the white woman with the lesser crime of manslaughter.

The death was one of a series of killings that stirred the U.S. debate over police use of force against black Americans. Here’s a look at some other recent high-profile cases:
    Factbox: In Dallas, rare conviction for police officer who shot unarmed black man

MsFacetious, Lucyray, kimpage and 4 others like this.
  18. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

My understanding is the jury is not to consider prison time/punishment when deciding guilt. Now, whether or not they do is a different story. I really think this jury is going to hand down a harsh sentence.

19. Bennettfit

Bennettfit Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the case. She'd better prepare herself with the very real possibility that she'll die in prison.

20. Lillymac

Lillymac Well-Known Member

I am too. Especially as it pertains to her sentence.

Hraefn, Cool Cats and wyome like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.