AMBER ALERT NJ - Dulce Mariá Alavez, 5, abducted at Bridgeton City Park, Cumberland County, 16 Sept 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely agree, unfortunately I'm not too sure they ever will. I think they are being told it's better coming directly from the mother since she CAN speak English, but so much is getting lost. They probably even think her speaking in English herself is getting more attention on the case. But she was so much more relatable and what people "expect" to see when she spoke Spanish. The connection between her and the reporter and the look in her eyes when listening to what was being asked was totally different when she was spoken to in Spanish. Her English is perfectly fine and intelligible, but she is dealing with such visceral emotions that are so much better conveyed with a mother tongue. MOO
The thing is, she was born in the US and as far as I can tell lived here her whole life. So English would presumably be considered her native language. As for conveying the emotion, how exactly is translator going to do that?

Has this been shared yet? I just noticed it elsewhere. Coincidence, perhaps.

Police confirm at least 3 cases of child luring in Delaware County, Pennsylvania

edited: article says 4. This is interesting..... "
Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:07PM
UPPER DARBY TOWNSHIP, Pennsylvania (WPVI) -- Police say they're looking for a suspect approximately 55 years old in the Ardmore section of Haverford Township, Pennsylvania.

Last week, he allegedly drove around in his SUV trying to abduct an 8-year-old girl after school.

Edit #2 in Upper Darby, one suspect was in a black sedan, the other was in a dark van with white pin stripes.

The thing is, she was born in the US and as far as I can tell lived here her whole life. So English would presumably be considered her native language. As for translating the emotion, how exactly is translator going to do that?

A translator really wouldn't be able to translate her emotion, but at least if she was speaking primarily in Spanish people could see her body language and hear her inflection when she is speaking without an extra level of processing, and then later hear from the translator what exactly was said. I guess really what is unfortunate is just that there's any language barrier between the family and some officials and some members of the public in the first place. There's not much that could be done to truly fix it. A very experienced translator would be able to choose their words carefully to better convey the nuances of what was said in the original language, though.

As for the fact that she was born and went to school in the U.S., that's definitely true and that's why her English is as good as it is. However, it's pretty apparent she likely spoke Spanish most often at home, probably learned Spanish before English, and considering the large Hispanic population of Bridgeton, she likely often also spoke Spanish with her peers even in school as well. All just MOO

This is something that I just can't understand.

It's one thing to defend someone close to you if they are right about something and are being talked negatively. Or trying to protect someone who has been harmed.

But to cover for them because they got angry over a video game or whatever horrible reason, after killing a child? Oh hell no. I don't care if it's one of my own children, and I love them dearly, but if they ever harmed a hair on the head of any future grandchildren I may be blessed with, no way would I cover for them. Or a niece or nephew, a friend, etc.

This mentality I do not understand at all. We're not talking about covering for your friend when their parents call looking for them at your house and they're at their boyfriend's house instead.

I know this mentality exists, but I'll never understand it.

Well. To keep it unpolitical. Some generations in cultures still hold the "elders will deal with you" court concept of not trusting "outsiders".

A translator really wouldn't be able to translate her emotion, but at least if she was speaking primarily in Spanish people could see her body language and hear her inflection when she is speaking without an extra level of processing, and then later hear from the translator what exactly was said. I guess really what is unfortunate is just that there's any language barrier between the family and some officials and some members of the public in the first place. There's not much that could be done to truly fix it. A very experienced translator would be able to choose their words carefully to better convey the nuances of what was said in the original language, though.

As for the fact that she was born and went to school in the U.S., that's definitely true and that's why her English is as good as it is. However, it's pretty apparent she likely spoke Spanish most often at home, probably learned Spanish before English, and considering the large Hispanic population of Bridgeton, she likely often also spoke Spanish with her peers even in school as well. All just MOO
Translator would also be a person who presumably speaks one of the languages better than the other.

There are no shortage of bilingual officials here from police to judicial members to the press. I'm not entirely sure why LE is being so obtuse and not implementing any of them that are trained specifically for these instances.

I heard on the radio today that mom was talking about her "past" and insinuating she was hanging with bad characters. If that's correct, and she's now "out" of that life, is it possible that one of her old "Friends" wanted to get back at her for something and took Dulce?

Dulce shoes seem like a strange choice of shoes for the park. They appear to have a chunky heel. IMO could be dangerous for a 5 year old to be running/playing on the playground in those shoes. Not implying anything just something I find odd....JMO Who knows I guess they could be her favorite shoes and she insisted on wearing them. I wear heels often but if I tried to run i’m sure I wouldn’t make it far without falling or twisting my ankle. JMO

Attachments

• 27C85A59-0BA5-400A-AF8D-4AA52A0DB373.jpeg
    27C85A59-0BA5-400A-AF8D-4AA52A0DB373.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 89
Dulce shoes seem like a strange choice of shoes for the park. They appear to have a chunky heel. IMO could be dangerous for a 5 year old to be running/playing on the playground in those shoes. Not implying anything just something I find odd....JMO Who knows I guess they could be her favorite shoes and she insisted on wearing them. I wear heels often but if I tried to run i’m sure I wouldn’t make it far without falling or twisting my ankle. JMO

I don’t read much into it - kids are funny with clothes especially shoes - my one niece wore rainboots and nightgowns outside all the time and the other wore only ruby red sparkly slippers when she went thru her wizard of oz phase.

Once, years ago, my family and I were being threatened by a dangerous person outside our house. I was on one side of the door. He on the other. He ran. While on the phone 911 asked what he was wearing and I had no idea! That’s not what I was looking at. I could see him a foot away out my window but was watching what he was doing and listening to his rant.

So...the “witness” in our case wasn’t in a flight or fight mode but maybe - “ with red van” — most definitely made a few errors in their recall skills. Why would they spend too much time looking at someone doing something seeming normal while being bombarded with so much other external stimuli?. Bb court noise. Toddler crying. Maybe a dog barking? Maybe they saw but their mind played a little trick in memory.

Seems like orange shoes are a pushing point.

What if it was red and black but switched? Black slacks and red shirt? There is a kfc a mile away. A few minutes walk. And so many other service industries use that color pallet as well. Maybe it’s time to look there. If Someone was working they’d have an alibi — but maybe were on lunch so their co workers don’t suspect them? A stretch I know....Wonder how far out le checked vehicles and garbage receptacles that first day.

Also, the body of water was searched and drained. In the very beginning of the search.

I am a hopeful believer that Dulce will be found alive. However this is a really crazy thought that has been bothering me since yesterday. I can’t wrap my head around the possibility of even typing these words but can’t stop thinking about it either- so am just going to put it out there so as to not rule out any possibility regardless of how remote the chances.
Dulce went missing the afternoon/ evening Monday 9/16 - the next day around noon
On Tuesday 9/17 the F&S food processing plant (8miles away) erupted in a massive fire. Someone here reported one of her grandparents worked there. I am wondering if many locals were employed there - and everyone is 3 degrees of separation- is it possible an employee there could be responsible for abducting Dulce and set the fire to destroy evidence/remains?

The thing is, she was born in the US and as far as I can tell lived here her whole life. So English would presumably be considered her native language. As for conveying the emotion, how exactly is translator going to do that?
If she grew up in a Spanish speaking household then it's likely to be her primary language with Engish being secondary.

The same may be true for her son. It's not easy to learn two languages at once.

Many ESL students don't have a full grasp on the English Language by the time they start school when another language is spoken in the home.

I don't think a translater can interpret emotion. It's probably something that is observed more than anything else.

IMO

I am a hopeful believer that Dulce will be found alive. However this is a really crazy thought that has been bothering me since yesterday. I can’t wrap my head around the possibility of even typing these words but can’t stop thinking about it either- so am just going to put it out there so as to not rule out any possibility regardless of how remote the chances.
Dulce went missing the afternoon/ evening Monday 9/16 - the next day around noon
On Tuesday 9/17 the F&S food processing plant (8miles away) erupted in a massive fire. Someone here reported one of her grandparents worked there. I am wondering if many locals were employed there - and everyone is 3 degrees of separation- is it possible an employee there could be responsible for abducting Dulce and set the fire to destroy evidence/remains?

The fire was determined to be accidental according to officials.
Also, there's a HUGE presence of factories in the area and I can name at least 15 people I know off the top of my head that work or have worked at one. Those are the easiest jobs to acquire in the area because they're always hiring :confused:

What caused this fire ? Anyone know ?.....moo

Only shoes they can afford ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member