GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
"After that horrible incident she has to try harder to be that same silly person, she's not Amber anymore." Well Botham Jean is dead! Sorry your silly friend is not able to make you laugh. Geez!

ETA: Her friends are just as self-absorbed and clueless as she is! Lacking in compassion for others and any kind of grace.

what is the point of saying Amber has changed...of course she has...she murdered a man in cold blood. I don't get this testimony. I don't think jury is going to be impacted by this at all with the exception of her mother.

That's true. However, they really aren't saying much about her. They are talking about going places, seeing each other, etc. Nothing really about anything she's done in her life other than being a cop. Nothing about helping people, making an impact in the community, in lives, etc. I expected that.
No, nothing special.

IMO It is not a matter of liking or disliking either person. It's matter of an innocent Botham being murdered in his own apartment by Guyger who had every intention of killing him.

From my standpoint, we’ve established that Botham was in his own apartment and did nothing legally or morally wrong, with regards to his death. So, my opinion of the heinousness of Guyer’s crime has nothing to do with my opinion of Botham’s character. (And I think that her crime was very heinous.)

I actually think that the sentencing phase in trials is unjust. The idea that Guyer would get a lesser sentence if she had happened to murder someone with no family or friends? That’s a disgusting concept. (Now, in some trials, where there’s a personal connection between criminal and victim, bringing out the character of the victim makes sense.

MOO

Please explain why if those are relevant now, that her abuse as a child is not? Or anything else the defense produces? I do not think anything kept out of guilt phase should be included in sentencing phase. For either side. MHO
These posts were recent history, and relevant to her professional life. They attest to her opinions and (flippant) attitude. These weren’t dredged up posts from her childhood or youth. They account for who she was while carrying that gun and badge.

Are there medical/social service records of abuse at the time it occurred? Did she herself post memes of her abuse on her social media?

I’ll let our verified attorneys discuss why the courts allow certain evidence to be entered while excluding other.

The above is MOO. That this was allowed in was by law.

AG is being described as a typical teen/high school student. She had goals and ambition. She met her closest girl friends in orchestra.

Unfortunately, I believe becoming a police officer changed AG -- hardened her, diminished her empathy, left her cold.

I don't think the person being described by her early friends is the person she was in Sept 2018.

AG testified she found the door to apartment ajar, and heard shuffling sounds inside.

She did not have to open the door, within 5 minutes she could have had back up at the apartment door and perhaps by that time she would have realized she was at the wrong door.

I think AG was angry when she reached that apartment door, and drew her weapon in anger. I believe anger overruled her judgement that evening, and it cost a young man his life.

ETA: And reacting in anger cost AG her life too...

MOO

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the defense could have asked those questions though?

It seems that the prosecution was more prepared with their witnesses. They had obviously talked with their character witnesses beforehand and the questions/pictures/texts were something that their witnesses knew were coming up. Didn't seem to be any surprises.

I honestly think if her family had expressed how they felt horribly for Botham's family that it probably would have come across the same way Amber's testimony came across - as not genuine, IMO.
Most people, IMO, are born into racism and the way they view human life. In other words, I doubt that her family feels much different than Amber herself on certain issues.

BBM. I agree with your statement and it is why I am a firm believer that adults in all professions dealing with the public benefit from pluralism/diversity training. I don't believe racism is why BO was shot or has anything to do with the testimony from AG's friends and family. I can't watch the testimony today but it sounds like the defense didn't do a thorough job of preparing its witnesses. I'm sure all of these folks are nervous before the cameras. I'd like to know how AG contributed to her community outside of work. Did she participate in a church or volunteer at a food pantry, etc?

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member