SC SC - Brooke Henson, 20, Travelers Rest, 4 July 1999

Coming up on the anniversary of Brooke's disappearance...and her boyfriend's refusal to speak with LE without a lawyer.

We've seen this before.

Praying peace & comfort for Brooke's family on this day & always!

20 years. Long time to keep a secret.

Brooke's current NAMUS link: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original

Circumstances of Disappearance
Brooke Henson was reported missing by her parents on July 4, 1999. They stated that she walked from her home toward a convenience store to buy cigarettes at 1am. They have not seen Brooke since then.

Boyfriend of Carolina woman missing for 20 years found dead

TRAVELERS REST, S.C. —

Travelers Rest police Chief Benjamin Ford said that Rickey Shaun Shirley may have been the last person to see his then-girlfriend before she went missing.

[...]

Ford said Shirley, who was found dead Tuesday, was a person of interest in Henson’s case.

"I wouldn't name him as a suspect because again we're talking about a missing person, and not a homicide-we don't know that yet.
We believe it, but we don't know that yet. With him being gone we can never know what he would have told us, or if he would have told us anything. But now we don't have the chance to ask,” Ford said, “I’m not here to judge anyone or say anyone's guilty of anything, by any stretch of the imagination, but just the mere fact that he's gone now hurts us a little bit more to maybe we can't find out things. We just want to know the truth and get to the bottom of it."

Investigators have recently revisited the case in hopes of finding out what happened to Henson.

But with Shirley gone, the chief tells WYFF News 4 finding those answers is now much more difficult.

"We had not spoken with him, we had not approached him yet. It was, in the future, that we wanted to try and talk to him again,” said Chief Ford, who was not the police chief at the time Henson went missing, but confirms that investigators did speak with Shirley after her disappearance, “However, we don't know why at this time that he died.”

Shirley was found in his mother's house on the 100 block of Dacusville Road on Tuesday.

The Greenville County Sheriff's Office and the coroner are still working to determine how he died.

Boyfriend of Carolina woman missing for 20 years found dead

BBM.

Interesting timing. Some human remains were found in Piedmont on Tuesday: Identified! - SC - Piedmont, possible human remains at White and River roads, 1 Oct 2019 - Donald Wayne Rhodes
Those remains turned out to not be Brooke-- they were identified as a man missing since last year and not connected to this case at all. But the coincidence of Brooke's boyfriend dying on the same day that some human remains were discovered about 18 miles from Travelers Rest has me wondering... What if Brooke is in those same woods where the man was found? It's a large wooded area and the news only showed the police cars at the private road going back into the woods. What if her boyfriend thought they had found her after all these years just before he died on Tuesday? Probably just a coincidence as to the timing but something to think about... MOO.

Boyfriend of Travelers Rest woman missing for 20 years found dead
October 8, 2019

[...]

In the early morning hours of July 4, 1999, Henson left her home on Henderson Drive in Travelers Rest after telling her mother that she was going to walk to a store to buy cigarettes. She was never seen again.

According to the Travelers Rest Police Department investigation, Shirley, who was the then boyfriend of Henson, was at a party at Henson's house on July 3-4. He reportedly spent the night in Henson's room, asleep when she left to walk to the store.

The Greenville County Coroner’s Office said Shirley was found by a parent in the Dacusville Road home. Autopsy results to help determine a cause of death may take up to two months to get back, but deputies said there were no immediate signs of foul play.

The disappearance of Henson remains under investigation.

Boyfriend of Travelers Rest woman missing for 20 years found dead

Interesting timing. Some human remains were found in Piedmont on Tuesday: Identified! - SC - Piedmont, possible human remains at White and River roads, 1 Oct 2019 - Donald Wayne Rhodes
Those remains turned out to not be Brooke-- they were identified as a man missing since last year and not connected to this case at all. But the coincidence of Brooke's boyfriend dying on the same day that some human remains were discovered about 18 miles from Travelers Rest has me wondering... What if Brooke is in those same woods where the man was found? It's a large wooded area and the news only showed the police cars at the private road going back into the woods. What if her boyfriend thought they had found her after all these years just before he died on Tuesday? Probably just a coincidence as to the timing but something to think about... MOO.
That is interesting timing! I hope she is found soon.

That is REALLY FREAKY!!! :eek:

I don't mean to sound like I doubt the family who state that this other woman is NOT Brooke, but Brooke and this other woman look extremely similar, especially the eyes. Except that the other woman's nose is different (surgery?). Brooke's is longer/slimmer.

In any case, this is very bizarre, and I wonder what this "other woman's" story is!!! If only they could track her down.

Oh, please, Esther Reed was indeed caught & convicted & incarcerated:

Woman admits ID theft in Ivy League case

https://www.heraldonline.com/news/local/article12249914.html

Esther Reed - Wikipedia

Don't know what she's been up to since release from Federal custody. Likely, operating under a different name?

Back to Brooke Henson -- 21 years now, and since the lawyered-up boyfriend took his own life, Brooke's family may never have answers.

Another year, doubt we have doubters here....

RIP, Ms. Hesnson

1656937205480.png

I expect that LE could have handled 'The Boyfriend' differently jmho of course.

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited by a moderator:
July 7, 2023

TRAVELERS REST, S.C. (WSPA) – This week marks the 24-year anniversary of the disappearance of a Greenville County woman. Police said the case has gone cold numerous times, however they’re not giving up hope to uncover leads. On Monday, July 5, 1999, Travelers Rest police said 20-year-old Brooke Leigh Henson was reported missing after vanishing from her home.

Sep 30, 2023
Greenville Co. Sheriff's Office hosts Missing and Unidentified Persons Day

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazy_visitor