Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I recall that honeys sister claimed that honey had promised to give her a whack of money (10 million?). But my impression was that this was a verbal promise (if it was made at all). I don’t recall it being claimed that this was part of honeys will, to the best of my recollection.
If an amount had been promised to a relative, I'm sure that would be expected to be backed up with reality, by including it in her Will, otherwise she wouldn't hav much hope of evr receiving it. So I find it interesting that the Will was said to be missing, considering there was a verbal claim being made, which could only be backed up by the Will, and the most recent one at that. Is it possible that when/if H re-did her Will, she did it manually in front of her sister, intact with initials and signatures, and it had not yet gone to a lawyer to be re-typed and that THAT one is the Will which is 'missing'??
The Shermans had BILLIONS, plural, and evn ONE billion is what, a THOUSAND millions? So to leave her sister only 10 of ONE of those billions, would be but a small dent. Who would argue with that, I wonder?

I think I recall that honeys sister claimed that honey had promised to give her a whack of money (10 million?). But my impression was that this was a verbal promise (if it was made at all). I don’t recall it being claimed that this was part of honeys will, to the best of my recollection.

Murdered billionaire Barry Sherman planned to give away or ...
Jun 22, 2019 - In the year before he was murdered, Barry Sherman was working on plans to give large amounts of money to charity and his wife, Honey, who ... Honey had on the go with her sister Mary Shechtman, who was also her ... say Shechtman told the Sherman children that Honey had promised her $300 million.

If an amount had been promised to a relative, I'm sure that would be expected to be backed up with reality, by including it in her Will, otherwise she wouldn't hav much hope of evr receiving it. So I find it interesting that the Will was said to be missing, considering there was a verbal claim being made, which could only be backed up by the Will, and the most recent one at that. Is it possible that when/if H re-did her Will, she did it manually in front of her sister, intact with initials and signatures, and it had not yet gone to a lawyer to be re-typed and that THAT one is the Will which is 'missing'??
The Shermans had BILLIONS, plural, and evn ONE billion is what, a THOUSAND millions? So to leave her sister only 10 of ONE of those billions, would be but a small dent. Who would argue with that, I wonder?
Okay, so even at THREE HUNDRED million (phew!), that is still a small chunk out of billions.. not such a small dent, but...

Have to wonder what it was about the ducks that the realtor thought was "odd." I'm assuming, given the area and house, there would be a lot of interest from offshore buyers, and guessing the ducks were among them.

If nothing else, the book sample has revived this thread, which had descended into the interminable MS/MM debate. Only 10 pages, but lots more fruit for speculation.
There are oh so many things that could have been 'odd' about the ducks.. there are a LOT of weird ducks in this world, and imo, perhaps especially in a huge city like TO.

Wonder if the killer(s) initially took H's cellphone with them, then when the bodies went undiscovered overnight, they made a call from her phone while on the street near the neighbour's house.. then re-entered the home and placed it on the floor in the main floor powder-room... obviously the door must've been unlocked at that time, since the other fellow in the car was seen entering the home a few times?

That seems unlikely to me, I doubt the killers returned. Also, IIRC it was uncertain that the fellow that visited on Thursday ever entered the house

Mar 24, 2019
29 minutes inside Barry and Honey Sherman’s home: Who was the visitor?
rbbm.
"While Barry and Honey Sherman lay dead in the basement pool room of their Toronto home a lone man went in and out of their house three times, according to an account of security camera footage seized by Toronto police.

Between 9:11 a.m. and 10:16 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017, the man walked from a four-door sedan parked in front of the Sherman house on Old Colony Rd., appears to enter the Sherman house through the front door, then comes back outside. He does this three times, for a total of 29 minutes inside the Sherman home, before driving off."
So interesting about the 911 call which *presumably* happened at the same time this fellow was *reportedly* going in and out of the Shermans' home? Now we are told that H's cellphone was found right there in a powder-room on the main floor. I wonder if there is a reason why Greenspan has said it is not conclusive as to whether the fellow actually entered the home, or if it is the truth? Is it suspected the fellow may have been someone he may be representing?? The neighbour that HAD the video believed the man did go inside, and it was said the man was inside the home for a total of what, 29 minutes? That is a long time to NOT be inside, just standing invisibly at the front door, is it not?? jmo.

On the Thursday morning at 9:45 a.m., a full day before the Sherman bodies were discovered, homeowners down the road from the Shermans answered a knock on their door. The Star has agreed not to identify the homeowners or their exact address. They live roughly 10 houses away on Old Colony.

The man at the door was a uniformed police officer asking if someone in their home had made a 911 call. The homeowners said no. The officer shared few details, but said police believed it came from the homeowners' house, but did not say if the call had come from a cellular phone or a landline. The officer did not say what time the call came in.
The homeowners who had the visit from police checked with Bell and Rogers and was told there was no evidence of a glitch, crossed wires or a 911 call coming from their house.
At the same time police were checking out the 911 call down the street, a four-door car pulled up in front of the Sherman home. It was 9:11 a.m. and the car remained on the street until 10:16 a.m. By this time, it is most likely that the Shermans were dead, according to sources close to the case.
The neighbours have said they believed the man went in and out of the Sherman house but the Sherman private detective team has studied the same video and it is "inconclusive" as to whether the man enters the house or stood in the alcove leading to the front door, according to Brian Greenspan, lawyer for the Sherman family.

Barry and Honey Sherman’s neighbours cite mysterious 911 call, visitor on day before billionaires found dead

Does anyone know the ages of H and MS? Which one was older/younger, how far apart? Why would they have even been discussing that? Was H expected to 'go' before MS? If H wanted her to have 300 million dollars, why not give it to her while alive? Just pondering...

Thinking of BS still wearing his "undisturbed" glasses when his body was found, and how in life, he apparently would lower his glasses before making a serious speech. imo, speculation,fwiw, rbbm
Barry and Honey Sherman: Duelling investigations, high drama and still no answers - Macleans.ca
“Barry Sherman’s legs were outstretched with one crossed over the other in a passive manner, wearing his undisturbed eyeglasses and his jacket pulled slightly behind his back which would have prevented use of his arms.”

At public tribute to Barry and Honey Sherman, a family grapples with raw grief: ‘They were taken from us’

“I didn’t prepare well,” Honey Sherman’s sister Mary Shechtman said, fighting back tears. “I guess I’ve just been in a fog over the last little while. I’m standing here confused and dazed and really angry, and I’m afraid for the shock that’s going to wear off and the reality that’s going to set in.”

Shechtman reflected on her sister’s humble beginnings as the daughter of Holocaust survivors, recalling a childhood far removed from the affluence that would later come to the family as Apotex flourished.
barry_sherman.png

Honey and Barry Sherman, chairman and CEO of Apotex. Postmedia Files
She said she and her sister were prone to fits of laughter for no reason, and that her brother-in-law would, before giving a serious speech in public, look at her, lower his glasses and cross his eyes."

Does anyone know the ages of H and MS? Which one was older/younger, how far apart? Why would they have even been discussing that? Was H expected to 'go' before MS? If H wanted her to have 300 million dollars, why not give it to her while alive? Just pondering...

My sense was that the gift was supposed to be made when they were alive. My sense again was that money was coming from the money that Barry was evidently going to be giving to Honey. But this is just supposition on my part, and from what we have read, the only person that we know of that evidently claims this promised payment exists is MS.

Knowing what we know about H, it is my guess that she wouldn't want to see her sister 'go without'. It seems that H was kind of 'employing' M to look after her real estate endeavors, and likely was her husband's biggest client when he had his jewellery business (if not still his biggest client, not sure if he still has a gem business or not?). With her penchant for donating to charities, I'm sure she would also want to take care of her family, which I presume would include her sister.. it seems they were quite close from everything I have read. If this 'gifting' was supposed to take place while H was alive, and it was dependent upon B 'gifting' H a huge sum of money first, then the timing of these murders is perhaps especially interesting. Could it also perhaps provide some kind of an explanation as to 'why both of them'? imho.

Knowing what we know about H, it is my guess that she wouldn't want to see her sister 'go without'. It seems that H was kind of 'employing' M to look after her real estate endeavors, and likely was her husband's biggest client when he had his jewellery business (if not still his biggest client, not sure if he still has a gem business or not?). With her penchant for donating to charities, I'm sure she would also want to take care of her family, which I presume would include her sister.. it seems they were quite close from everything I have read. If this 'gifting' was supposed to take place while H was alive, and it was dependent upon B 'gifting' H a huge sum of money first, then the timing of these murders is perhaps especially interesting. Could it also perhaps provide some kind of an explanation as to 'why both of them'? imho.

Yes possibly an explanation for why both of them.
As for MS, based on what I am aware of, her husband's jewellery business was not successful. Based on what I read before, she was complaining that her husband would have to start driving for Uber in Florida if the family didn't come forward with some financial assistance.

Yes possibly an explanation for why both of them.
As for MS, based on what I am aware of, her husband's jewellery business was not successful. Based on what I read before, she was complaining that her husband would have to start driving for Uber in Florida if the family didn't come forward with some financial assistance.
Yes, and the biz had declared bankruptcy IIRC, however, I have this little sniggle in my brain that he may have started up again, albeit on a much smaller scale.. perhaps even with family as his only clients, but not sure on that.

MS had strong ties to the sale of 50 Old Colony. The house wasn’t listed for sale directly by the Shermans:

When the Shermans put their house on the market, they did what many rich people do to protect privacy: they used a numbered company as the seller. Sherman had a library to choose from; the one that was chosen listed him as president and his sister-in-law, Mary Shechtman, as a director.
Endless court battles, angry relatives and shady players: the truth about Barry Sherman

The above article mentions that the lockbox used was unusual for such a high-end home, and the timing of putting the house on the market was strange.

TPS said both of the Shermans were targeted. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone think there might be an arrest in time for the book release?

It would be great news for the author, Kevin Donovan, however I believe the TPS is working on their own timetable. They will not lay charges until they have a rock-solid case that has a high probability of succeeding at trial.

The absolute worst thing that could happen as far as the TPS is concerned is, that the case goes to trial, and a not guilty verdict is given based on either lack of evidence or because of some technical error on the TPS's part.

In a high profile case like this, where the TPS has said it was a targeted killing, and have ruled out a M/S, they have to come up with perpetrators, and they need a strong possibility of a conviction. In fact the TPS would love it if they had overwhelming evidence, and the people arrested plead guilty without a trial. That would be a feather in the TPS's cap.

Isn't amazing how a cryptic message from a WS Administrator can shut down posts? Are we all wondering what is the meaning?

I think there was a comment regarding MS. As far as I am concerned, she became a POI when she reportedly declared she was promised $300 million.

Does anyone think there might be an arrest in time for the book release?

Dotr, unfortunately I question whether there will ever be an arrest in this case. Jmo.
I believe it was just the 40th anniversary of the unsolved killing of Christine Jessop, a young girl from north of Toronto. Very tragic and sad that cases can go so long unsolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockymountaingirl