GUILTY WI - Alexander Woodworth, 24, stabbed 16 times by Ezra McCandless, Eau Claire, Mar 2018

I tried to watch the trial but only caught maybe 20% of it because of that cutie to the left so I missed a few things. What was her motive? I know the defense says she was defending herself, but what motive did the prosecution give? I thought it was said she killed him because he would not say it was a mistake that they slept together or something like that?

I was delighted!! She finally showed some real emotion, but not a whole lot. The emotion I saw right before the verdict was read was FEAR. No tears, just fear. And then it was gone as she was being led away with her junior attorney following.....

I was delighted!! She finally showed some real emotion, but not a whole lot. The emotion I saw right before the verdict was read was FEAR. No tears, just fear. And then it was gone as she was being led away with her junior attorney following.....

That is what I observed as well although I missed the live verdict. By the time I saw a verdict has been reached and got to Court TV, she seemed back to her emotionless self. I did notice Nelson, sitting beside her, looked like he was about to cry. I must say her defense team put on a good effort but IMO lost during closings.

I tried to watch the trial but only caught maybe 20% of it because of that cutie to the left so I missed a few things. What was her motive? I know the defense says she was defending herself, but what motive did the prosecution give? I thought it was said she killed him because he would not say it was a mistake that they slept together or something like that?

Yes, it was something like that, but it doesn't make sense. However, I don't think anything would make sense because I don't think Ezra's mind works like our minds do. I think in her mind she thought if Alex was gone, she'd be able to get Jason back, no questions ask, no consequences. And who knows, maybe that would have worked if the murder had gone as planned and his body never found. But, she got stuck in the mud....

what's the consensus on her mental illness?
was there any testimony regarding that?

Nothing beyond the PTSD, etc. I'm not in the medical field, but my guess about her disordered way of seeing the world would definitely be borderline personality disorder and possibly narcissism. I don't think there's anything like schizophrenia going on, or anything that makes her hear voices or hallucinate.

Yes, it was something like that, but it doesn't make sense. However, I don't think anything would make sense because I don't think Ezra's mind works like our minds do. I think in her mind she thought if Alex was gone, she'd be able to get Jason back, no questions ask, no consequences. And who knows, maybe that would have worked if the murder had gone as planned and his body never found. But, she got stuck in the mud....

There was a case where a guy cheated on his girlfriend and the girlfriend insisted they kill the person he cheated with. If I am remembering correctly, the guy picked the "other girl" up in his car with his girlfriend hiding in the backseat until they were somewhere secluded and then attacked the "other girl" with the boy ending up shooting the victim.

I am assuming Jason was vetted and had an alibi so it must be like you said and she thought it would fix everything.

There was a case where a guy cheated on his girlfriend and the girlfriend insisted they kill the person he cheated with. If I am remembering correctly, the guy picked the "other girl" up in his car with his girlfriend hiding in the backseat until they were somewhere secluded and then attacked the "other girl" with the boy ending up shooting the victim.

I am assuming Jason was vetted and had an alibi so it must be like you said and she thought it would fix everything.

I know what case you're thinking of and I'm blanking on the names. They were young, right? I'm sure someone here remembers the names. I feel like at least one of them was in the National Guard or ROTC or something? The names are on the tip of my tongue.

Just thought of it! The Teenage Love Triangle Killers: Inside Their Lives Now

This is basically what happened in the Heather Elvis case, too, although her body has never been found.

It's heartbreaking that he likely wrapped that scarf around his neck to try to stop the bleeding.
I know. So sad. She "cared" enough to try to help him go to the bathroom, but didn't care enough to call the police to get emergency care, took his phone and abandoned him there to bleed to death. It is very hard for me to think of anyone doing such a thing --I am grateful that the jury made the right decision. She is clearly guilty

Just speculating on what could have been the driving force behind Ezra's actions....

Since Alex was leaving Ezra alone and not trying to contact her, it doesn't make sense that she went to his house to return a heating pad as it would open old wounds I would think. It seems her purpose may have been to get him back as a side piece or vent her rage if he didn't want her anymore. She was angry over him saying that John didn't rape her but Jason had seen the sexual texts between her and John and knew they were having a consensual affair of sorts anyway. She may have wanted to keep Alex as a back up boyfriend since Jason was on to her lying ways and couldn't continue the relationship in the way she wanted. So, Alex didn't want to start the relationship again, John was out of the picture, Jason was fed up with her lies, that meant Ezra had nobody and the word was out in that strange little community to the extent people were writing graffiti on the bathroom walls. She had nobody and her reputation was ruined. In her mind it was because Alex told the cops that John did not rape her and the word spread. No man with half a brain would have anything to do with her after learning of that. She really didn't have a place of her own to live or was able to legally drive her old car. She had nothing and was a pariah. If Alex wouldn't step up then she had nothing and that was the last straw because she blamed Alex for the miserable state of her life. And if he didn't rescue her then he had to die. She could have scoped out the area she took him to before hand as an isolated location to do the deed if things didn't go the way she wanted them to or maybe she just drove around with Alex until she found a remote place. Sheer desperation, she had nothing and was nothing. Sociopathic thinking to the extreme

Just speculating on what could have been the driving force behind Ezra's actions....

Since Alex was leaving Ezra alone and not trying to contact her, it doesn't make sense that she went to his house to return a heating pad as it would open old wounds I would think. It seems her purpose may have been to get him back as a side piece or vent her rage if he didn't want her anymore. She was angry over him saying that John didn't rape her but Jason had seen the sexual texts between her and John and knew they were having a consensual affair of sorts anyway. She may have wanted to keep Alex as a back up boyfriend since Jason was on to her lying ways and couldn't continue the relationship in the way she wanted. So, Alex didn't want to start the relationship again, John was out of the picture, Jason was fed up with her lies, that meant Ezra had nobody and the word was out in that strange little community to the extent people were writing graffiti on the bathroom walls. She had nobody and her reputation was ruined. In her mind it was because Alex told the cops that John did not rape her and the word spread. No man with half a brain would have anything to do with her after learning of that. She really didn't have a place of her own to live or was able to legally drive her old car. She had nothing and was a pariah. If Alex wouldn't step up then she had nothing and that was the last straw because she blamed Alex for the miserable state of her life. And if he didn't rescue her then he had to die. She could have scoped out the area she took him to before hand as an isolated location to do the deed if things didn't go the way she wanted them to or maybe she just drove around with Alex until she found a remote place. Sheer desperation, she had nothing and was nothing. Sociopathic thinking to the extreme

Excellent theory!

wow! what a mess!
tangled web

Last edited:
I've finally watched the closing and am so relieved the Pros pulled it together. It was actually very interesting how they did this trial when I think back on it. The closing argument answered a lot of questions about the timeline, though I still think there are some blanks. @Wishbone your theory is right on IMO. I was thinking more about how the actual murder occurred and it seems like parts of her story may have been true - except it was Alex that got out of the car, Alex that was sitting there before she came up behind him and tried to slit his throat. Struggle, stabbing, the final blow in the doorway of the backseat. Like someone else mentioned upthread, he may have sat down for a moment, then collapsed forward and into the footwell where he ultimately came to rest hanging out. The whole event has a slow and drawn out feel to it that makes it especially chilling. What a monster she is - so glad the jury returned guilty.

I've finally watched the closing and am so relieved the Pros pulled it together. It was actually very interesting how they did this trial when I think back on it. The closing argument answered a lot of questions about the timeline, though I still think there are some blanks. @Wishbone your theory is right on IMO. I was thinking more about how the actual murder occurred and it seems like parts of her story may have been true - except it was Alex that got out of the car, Alex that was sitting there before she came up behind him and tried to slit his throat. Struggle, stabbing, the final blow in the doorway of the backseat. Like someone else mentioned upthread, he may have sat down for a moment, then collapsed forward and into the footwell where he ultimately came to rest hanging out. The whole event has a slow and drawn out feel to it that makes it especially chilling. What a monster she is - so glad the jury returned guilty.

It bothers me that the detectives didn't even try to recreate the crime scene. With all the blood evidence inside and outside the car, the impressions in the mud, the order of the wounds if at all possible to determine, and a host of other items a well investigated crime scene would provide. Then there is the SCARF. When Ezra described in detail the clothes she was wearing, the order they were in, layers of them, she omitted one thing. If I remember her testimony correctly she did not mention the scarf. I wonder why she left that out and it makes me think it could have played a big part in the murder. It makes me wonder if Alex was blindfolded with it before she attacked. Just a thought that has been bugging me.....

Anybody think she would have gotten a lesser sentence or NG if she would not have taken the stand?

I think all her testimony was good for is the chance that one or two sympathetic jurors might have fell for her lies. 16 stabs wounds are just too hard to explain away, plus her exposed lies couldn't be ignored. Her testifying was just a last ditch effort to sway a few jurors. All along, the posters on here have been in agreement on her guilt and it seems the jury was too. Plus I don't believe the bashing of Alex, hours and hours of it, helped to do anything but put an extra nail in her coffin.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back