CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me either! I think there are going to be some more bombshells coming!

I think one question that the defense is sure to ask is whether the blood found in the condo was DNA tested. Otherwise, defense will likely suggest that there's no proof the blood was KB's. It could have been from a previous occupant's nosebleed.

Interesting that she testified that it looked like the gun had not been fired.
I guess we can finally rule out the gun having anything to do with the crime.

Imo
How would she know? By the number of bullets? Doesn't work that way. Anyhow, what kind of person leaves a loaded gun in the car and lends the car to someone driving a couple of states away. I don't see the gun having anything to do with anything except confirming the low level of responsibility and poor judgment of these people.

I think one question that the defense is sure to ask is whether the blood found in the condo was DNA tested. Otherwise, defense will likely suggest that there's no proof the blood was KB's. It could have been from a previous occupant's nosebleed.

Oh, there is absolutely no chance that the blood wasn’t DNA tested. It’s crucial to the case, as the defense could claim that those stains are not blood.

The prosecution just hasn’t gotten to the DNA stuff yet.

Yes, I'm certain they will too. I highly doubt they didn't test. I just hope the sample was good enough for results.

JM did not come forward until the jail recorded phone call.
Plus blood is not cicumstantial. Also PF'S LEO brother testimony. It's all adding up.

I don’t want to be contrary but blood is circumstantial! DNA, fingerprints, etc. The only thing that is direct evidence is a witness who watched the crime take place or a culprit confessing.

So, “I saw James pull out a gun and shoot Mary! I ran over but she wasn’t breathing!” That’s direct evidence.

“I heard a shot and came running! I saw Mary on the ground and she wasn’t breathing! James came home an hour later and he had blood on his shirt and hands!” Blood is later tested and is found to be Mary’s. That’s circumstantial evidence.

So the car she drove had expired tags? Hmm. Maybe indeed she thought she could point that out as an excuse not to move the body. “I could get pulled over.”

Why would her friend let her borrow a car with expired tags? Wasn’t she afraid it would get impounded?
I wonder if Krystal was hoping to get pulled over with the expired tags and gun. "sorry, Patrick, I'm in jail, you'll have to do the clean up yourself!". I mean, what a stupid risk she took, driving her friend's car like that.

His client is also the definition of a “short straw.”

I imagine his poor defense attorneys tried to convince PF to plead guilty early on, but he didn’t listen.

Instead, they are forced to dump water out of a sinking boat using a teaspoon.
Oh I think they’ve tried to talk reason with him multiple times. I bet they’ve approached the DA without PF’s knowledge to test the waters of a plea deal, too. If they’re decent attorneys at all, they know how strong the case against him is. And they have read the jurors’ faces. If this trial goes all the way to jury verdict, it will only be because no deal was offered and PF knows A Hail Mary pass into the end zone is the only chance to win when a failure to throw it means a sure loss.

The way the prosecution is heading, I no longer think we’re going to hear from SF.

I don’t know where she fits in anymore.

Part of me has been hoping for this. Let DA May leave her to stew outside the courtroom, wondering what is happening. She's already made it clear that she'll plead the 5th and I'm not sure that a mother's refusal to implicate herself or her son is really of any value at this point. Her nastiness towards KB was sickening, as was her refusal to give the Berreths access to their grandchild, but it is really peripheral to the murder.

I don’t want to be contrary but blood is circumstantial! DNA, fingerprints, etc. The only thing that is direct evidence is a witness who watched the crime take place or a culprit confessing.

So, “I saw James pull out a gun and shoot Mary! I ran over but she wasn’t breathing!” That’s direct evidence.

“I heard a shot and came running! I saw Mary on the ground and she wasn’t breathing! James came home an hour later and he had blood on his shirt and hands!” Blood is later tested and is found to be Mary’s. That’s circumstantial evidence.
Wow. Still if it shows it's her blood. It adds weight to the case.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I mean I thought we were talking about a situation where the nearest gas station is two to four hours from home. Krystal worked at a hospital. How far from a town was she or her friend?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope to read some details later about the cell phone portion (BBM below) from Bird's testimony. When did this conversation happen?

"She said she knew Kenney left to go to Colorado on Nov. 23, 2018 — the day after the alleged murder — because a coworker had to pick up Kenney’s shift.

She didn’t see Kenney again until Nov. 28, when she came into work on 7 p.m., Bird said. She noted that Kenney looked tired.

[...]

Bird asked about Berreth’s cell phone and Kenney shrugged. Bird said she didn’t know if this meant she was involved or not.

Kenney appeared “flat” and “resigned,” Bird said, which was not typical for her".

Sam Kraemer‏ @SamKraemerTV
Last thing we saw was a better photo of the discolored hay bale at Nash Ranch. It's dark black/brown. The dimensions align with those of the identical black tote entered as evidence. @KOAA #KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee #KrystalKenney

11:33 AM - 12 Nov 2019

DA Dan May handed the CBI analyst a tape measure and had her measure the bottom of the identical tote. It's 35 inches long by 20 inches wide. Discolored area was 38x30. @KOAA #KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee #KrystalKenney

11:35 AM - 12 Nov 2019

<modsnip>
I'm not exactly sure how MG could tell her gun hadn't been fired. Gunpowder residue, lead, etc isn't visible to the naked eye. Little confused on that statement.
MOO

Yeah, I always considered her testimony unreliable. I don't recall her being asked who had access to her vehicle between the last time she verified the bullet count and when she counted them after KK had used the car. For that matter, I don't recall what prompted her to count the bullets. It seems to me that if you are a responsible firearm owner, you know how many bullets are in your firearm and who has had access to that firearm at all times.

She seemed pretty casual about it all. Who else besides KK did she trust enough to give access to her vehicle with the firearm inside?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Still if it shows it's her blood. It adds weight to the case.

Of course. There’s nothing wrong with circumstantial evidence. Almost every case that goes to jury trial is based on circumstantial evidence unless the issue isn’t whodunit but how crazy or self defense.

People are confused that circumstantial evidence is not good evidence. It’s pretty much everything except a confession or a witness who saw the whole crime.

Slagle was not asked about a comment attributed to him about "forgetting we are here" when at the Ent Credit Union, which can be found in other court documents. He says Frazee never mentioned meeting a hitman or "no body no crime". @KOAA #KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee

11:24 AM - 12 Nov 2019

Robert Slagle, Frazee's best friend, took the stand. He testified he picked up a package from Berreth's townhome at Frazee's request and went on an "alibi trip" with Frazee to retrace his steps on Nov. 22. @KOAA #KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee #KrystalKenney

11:22 AM - 12 Nov 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member