CA - 3 dead, including gunman, Saugus High School, Santa Clarita, 14 Nov 2019

I agree with Santa Clarita being a great place...it's hard to imagine things actually hitting this close to home...and I always figured if it would be anywhere it would be at a different school. But then I think of the other schools, and they have all been in places where no one would expect...cities and towns that are "safer" than average...which makes it all that more frustrating when something like this happens...

These seem to happen more in public schools...in private there is less security, does anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't think kids are safer regardless of where they go to school, I honestly think its a luck factor sadly if something like this happens.
BBM

Private schools have a lot more freedom to kick scary students out. It’s a lot harder in public schools for a variety of reasons. Years ago I was a JA advisor in a school district that openly swapped violent students to a different district school. Including a girl who after being transferred pulled a knife on another student. That student reported her, the school called the knife-puller’s mother who responded by waiting in the parking lot when school let out to beat the reporting student up herself. They’d run out if schools to transfer her to so they simply let her stay and terrorize the innocent student.

Feel compelled to add this was NOT in Colorado, though for all I know the same thing may happen here too.

Last edited:
Males tend to internalize their feelings. Not one's to talk or share them. When they do act out it's external aggression. Bullying or fighting. Females tend to talk about their feelings yet tend to express turmoil internally. Taking it out on themselves. Cutting, anorexia for example. Emphasis on tend.

If this young man grew up with violence in the home he may have learned very young that violence is the answer. His friends may not have been aware of that side of him yet report a change in him. I would be most interested in hearing what the GF has to say. How was he with her? Possessive, aggressive etc.

certainly not helpful but please name a country where this has not happened.
It happens in other countries. The difference is that it's not a daily, semi-daily occurance in schools in other countries. Yes, there are shootings at school in other places, but not as prevalent as there is in the states. It almost appears as if the whole country is boiling and the one going on a rampage are the ones that boiled over.
This is all my opinion of course. The way I see it. I lived in Houston and FL in late 80's. I now live in Canada. I am so glad to because until a year ago I was a substitute teacher, going to work at a school with my kids. Because frankly when it comes to an emergency at a school, I was torn between taking care of the kids in my class and trying to make sure my own kids were safe. I am so glad I was never in the position to make that decision. It shouldn't be a decision a teacher should make, or think about making.

Still, more good people than bad ones in this world, imo.
Saugus shooting: Off-duty officers rushed to the scene within seconds - CNN
"Three off-duty officers dropping off their children Thursday at a Southern California school rushed in seconds after gunfire erupted, quickly giving first aid and likely saving lives in a shooting that left two dead, authorities said."

"One of investigators' largest tasks will be figuring out the motive, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva told CNN's "New Day" early Friday.
"There's nothing really that stands out (with the suspect). He wasn't a loner. Wasn't socially awkward. Was involved in student activities. Student athlete," Villanueva said. "This is kind of out of the blue, shocking pretty much everyone who knew him."

"The first people at the scene were three off-duty law enforcement officers who were dropping off their children at the school, Villanueva said.
Detective Daniel Finn of the Santa Clarita Sheriff's Station was driving away when he heard gunshots and saw terrified children run out. He turned his car around and rushed into the school, the sheriff said."

"It's a tragedy every way you look at it, but there's a silver lining behind this: the fact that off-duty first responders were there and did not hesitate ... and they rendered first aid immediately," the sheriff said.
The officers saw a gun and figured the threat was likely over and focused on saving victims, he said."

"Larry Everhart was leaving his house to get coffee when he saw screaming students sprinting down his street.
"They were saying, 'Can I come in your house?' It was about 20 of them. I wanted to make sure they were safe, so I got them in there," he told the affiliate."

16 seconds it all went down. I just timed 16 sec. Time to process and react. Kudos to those who did the right thing. Obv. the drills helped. To all the other heroes who helped renews the spirit that there is still good in this chaotic world.

I hope these young folk have access to some cognitive therapy down the road. Talk helps a great deal but there will be triggers than can be everlasting. Stepping down now from my soapbox lol

Still, more good people than bad ones in this world, imo.
Saugus shooting: Off-duty officers rushed to the scene within seconds - CNN
"Three off-duty officers dropping off their children Thursday at a Southern California school rushed in seconds after gunfire erupted, quickly giving first aid and likely saving lives in a shooting that left two dead, authorities said."

"One of investigators' largest tasks will be figuring out the motive, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva told CNN's "New Day" early Friday.
"There's nothing really that stands out (with the suspect). He wasn't a loner. Wasn't socially awkward. Was involved in student activities. Student athlete," Villanueva said. "This is kind of out of the blue, shocking pretty much everyone who knew him."

"The first people at the scene were three off-duty law enforcement officers who were dropping off their children at the school, Villanueva said.
Detective Daniel Finn of the Santa Clarita Sheriff's Station was driving away when he heard gunshots and saw terrified children run out. He turned his car around and rushed into the school, the sheriff said."

"It's a tragedy every way you look at it, but there's a silver lining behind this: the fact that off-duty first responders were there and did not hesitate ... and they rendered first aid immediately," the sheriff said.
The officers saw a gun and figured the threat was likely over and focused on saving victims, he said."

"Larry Everhart was leaving his house to get coffee when he saw screaming students sprinting down his street.
"They were saying, 'Can I come in your house?' It was about 20 of them. I wanted to make sure they were safe, so I got them in there," he told the affiliate."

So, he wasn’t a loner...

It really is unbelievable how fast everything happens. I know it seems like much longer which could lead toward a possible takedown/intervention with the perpetrator, but in my experience that’s just not the case.

Teachers are also likely heroes here, I still consider one my makeshift “dad”

Last edited:
It really is unbelievable how fast everything happens. I know it seems like much longer which could lead toward a possible takedown/intervention of the perpetrator, but in my experience that’s just not the case.

If you don't mind me asking and answering how long were you holed up in that bathroom. Many lessons came from the horror of Columbine.

I hope these young folk have access to some cognitive therapy down the road. Talk helps a great deal but there will be triggers than can be everlasting. Stepping down now from my soapbox lol

From May 2019:

Suicides highlight mass shooting survivors' trauma: 'We still live with it every day'

“Two teenagers who survived a high school mass shooting in Florida and a parent of a girl killed in an elementary school mass shooting in Connecticut died by apparent suicide within the last 10 days, prompting calls to focus on the lasting trauma of these attacks, which doesn't end with the gunfire.”

I so hope they find a sort of manifesto or explanation of the thoughts of the shooter.
Was it simply suicide? Was his life so horrible
he no longer wanted to live?
Why shoot others?
So many unanswered questions. We may never know the answers.

If you don't mind me asking and answering how long were you holed up in that bathroom. Many lessons came from the horror of Columbine.

I don’t mind any questions. I know my limits but I also want to do as much as I can to help.

We were in the bathroom for about 45 minutes before being evacuated by LE. We didn’t know it at the time but Harris & Klebold had committed suicide by this point.

From May 2019:

Suicides highlight mass shooting survivors' trauma: 'We still live with it every day'

“Two teenagers who survived a high school mass shooting in Florida and a parent of a girl killed in an elementary school mass shooting in Connecticut died by apparent suicide within the last 10 days, prompting calls to focus on the lasting trauma of these attacks, which doesn't end with the gunfire.”
Yes that def. needs to be addressed. When your out in everyday life and a trigger hits you there is nobody to talk to in the moment. Cognitive therapy teaches coping strategies for those moments. Otherwise it can be debilitating. Leading to such things as isolation, avoidance and depression. I always worry for these folks in the moment but especially down the road.

I don’t mind any questions. I know my limits but I also want to do as much as I can to help.

We were in the bathroom for about 45 minutes before being evacuated by LE. We didn’t know it at the time but Harris & Klebold had committed suicide by this point.
Thank You for answering I appreciate and respect your limits. That's a really long time.

It really is unbelievable how fast everything happens. I know it seems like much longer which could lead toward a possible takedown/intervention of the perpetrator, but in my experience that’s just not the case.

KayElJay, I’m not sure if you’ve seen my mass shooting projection chart I’ve been working on for a long time now - I’m still working on it but past data and current trends point imo to very high and increasing numbers going forward in the future, moo.

It’s also interesting because I’ve been working on a profiling and characteristics study of ten mass shooters and compiling the data..it’s around here somewhere...anyway, that “mini-study” as I call it highlights mass shootings that are not limited to school shootings, but in that particular study they are all loners.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa