CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - *Arrest* #65

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very surprised the jury was not sequestered for a case this high profile.

I’m so glad they weren’t though! Ever since the Caylee Anthony case judges are more cautious about it. That jury refused to find her guilty on anything (multiple available charges like child neglect, etc.) that would’ve led to a sentencing phase and more sequestration.

“Courts have generally moved away from sequestration during jury deliberation in recent years, and sequestration during the evidence portion of the trial is particularly uncommon.”

“Being sequestered means staying in a hotel with strict limits on your personal movement, on what you can read and watch, and on your communication with friends and family. The confinement and isolation can take a heavy toll on jurors as a trial drags on, ratcheting up the pressure to reach a verdict, according to experts. “People describe, initially, loneliness, boredom, and discomfort,” said Greg Hurley, an analyst with the National Center for State Courts. “That will convert over time for some people to a lot of anxiety, stress, depression, and generally negative feelings … You’re removed from your lifestyle: You’re not going to have your TV, your couch, your loved ones, your pets,” he said.”
How the Psychological Toll of Isolation Might Be Affecting Bill Cosby Jurors

“It’s rare. I can’t recall a North Carolina jury that has been sequestered. Based on the scarcity of appellate case law interpreting or applying G.S. 15A-1236(b), it seems that sequestration is not even requested very often. (Summaries of the relevant cases appear at the end of this post.) This Slate article asserts that sequestration “has fallen so far out of favor that judges rarely bother anymore,” because jurors don’t like it and tend to drop out of sequestered trials based on personal hardships.”
Jury Sequestration

The judge tightly controlled the media in this case and it’s not as insane as some cases. I think sequestration is terrible and causes jurors to rush decisions and even to decide not to find a defendant guilty of that would lead to more sequestration.

Jakob Rodgers
Blood spatter in #KelseyBerreth's kitchen -- on refrigerator, coffee maker & high on a wall -- consistent w/ having come from one object bludgeoning a blood source (as in flying off whatever is being swung from one direction to another), analyst says.
@csgazette
#PatrickFrazee
12:30 PM · Nov 15, 2019·Twitter for Android

It just breaks my heart that all the things that we know here that have followed cases know about Bloods splatter, but it had to be said out loud in Court. My heart is breaking. Her poor family and her father having to listen to this.

ETA typo

Last edited:
Holding a sample of the floor from Berreth’s condo, Priest also described two indentations on the wood plank, though he couldn’t tell exactly what hit it.

“So something substantially heavy and substantially hard had an impact on this area and certainly a baseball bat is consistent with that,” he said.

Kelsey Berreth murder case: Bloodstain expert testifies on crime scene

Vincente Arenas
Frazee murder trial update: dramatic testimony this morning. Blood spatter expert says #KelseyBerreth could have been hit by a baseball bat as many as 15 times. Kelsey‘s father and assistant district attorney break down and cry..
@KDVR
@channel2kwgn

Wow. Even the assistant DA cried. And they see a lot.

Vincente Arenas
Frazee murder trial update: dramatic testimony this morning. Blood spatter expert says #KelseyBerreth could have been hit by a baseball bat as many as 15 times. Kelsey‘s father and assistant district attorney break down and cry..
@KDVR
@channel2kwgn

No... This is

Jakob Rodgers
@JakobRodgers

·
16s
A wall in #KelseyBerreth's living room, opposite the front door, was described as having had a large amount of blood down low, and then more scattered splatter higher up.
@csgazette
#PatrickFrazee

Elise Schmelzer
@EliseSchmelzer

·
32s
Pretty gruesome testimony. He said the tiny size of the blood stains found in #KelseyBerreth’s condo likely mean blood was spattered or flung across the room at high speed/force. Said staining between floorboards consistent with a pool of blood seeping through.

My goodness.... I just can't.... He truly is evil incarnate. How could he???? This is important for the jury to hear, but beyond heartbreaking. Any and all sentence is too good for him. I am speechless...:(

Vincente Arenas
@KDVR
@channel2kwgn

I am at work and in tears. I can't imagine it being my daughter.:(

Jakob Rodgers
@JakobRodgers

·
17s
The analyst also testifies about marks on the floorboards that are consistent with blood pooling and leaching into the joints between the boards.
@csgazette
#KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee

Sam Kraemer
@SamKraemerTV

·
34s
DA Dan May had Priest examine a specific piece of the floorboard. Priest says it had two significant round indentations in it, which he says would be consistent with a wooden baseball bat striking the ground.
@KOAA
#KelseyBerreth #PatrickFrazee

Wow.... just wow! :(

My apologies to you! Thank you for pointing that out. I think that would make all the difference in the world.

Moo

That this was not a publication for the jury, but this was a publication internally for law enforcement and could come into evidence perhaps? Thank you so much for the clarification and great that you had that information!

I take back what I said.

Dan May and this group of individuals with law enforcement are excellent! The one downfall I hope the hole-in you filled the hole. Thank you so much.

@gitana1

You rang?

The sheer brutality. Just overwhelming.
Can you imagine her last conscious thoughts about someone she conceived a beautiful girl with? The whole thing just totally SICKENS me. To the core.

I want the "eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" thing to happen to PF.

Well I think with this testimony today together with his comments about She's never coming back, etc. they may deliberate for less than 2 hours IMO. Time enough to go through KK's testimony, and the cell phone pings, texts and this blood evidence - but I guess they could be extra thorough and take longer but I don't see how.
IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member