GUILTY NEW ZEALAND - Grace Millane, 22, British backpacker, Auckland, 1 Dec 2018 #3

The jury in the Grace Millane murder trial have indicated they are close to a verdict and will return their decision to the court this evening. Full rolling coverage on
@nzherald

o
kay maybe they’re not that close. Looks like it will be a little while yet if they’re saying tonight

The jury in the Grace Millane murder trial have indicated they are close to a verdict and will return their decision to the court this evening. Full rolling coverage on
@nzherald

o
kay maybe they’re not that close. Looks like it will be a little while yet if they’re saying tonight
I thought I read that the judge said if they did not reach a verdict by 5:00 pm, that court would be adjourned until Monday. It was in the summary earlier.

I think a murder verdict is coming. Apparently the jury asked the judge: "does 'when he applied pressure' refer to when he started to apply pressure at the beginning, or can it refer to any time when he applied pressure?"

And the judge answered, "it is not limited to the beginning. It can be at any time during the application of force leading to death."

The jury's foreperson said they were likely to reach a verdict this evening.

If that's the sticking point, they're going to say murder.

I reckon that question is a good sign a guilty verdict is coming. What might have started out as “normal” choking that Grace was ok with, turned into something else entirely.

MOO
I think so — that the neck pressure can start out as a non-reckless physical act by the accused and evolve into something else

I think a murder verdict is coming. Apparently the jury asked the judge: "does 'when he applied pressure' refer to when he started to apply pressure at the beginning, or can it refer to any time when he applied pressure?"

And the judge answered, "it is not limited to the beginning. It can be at any time during the application of force leading to death."

The jury's foreperson said they were likely to reach a verdict this evening.

If that's the sticking point, they're going to say murder.

exactly my thinking too. Crossing fingers and holding my breath.

The jury has asked Justice Simon Moore for clarification.

Question: "Does the 'when he applied pressure' [to her neck] apply to when he started or can it mean at any time during the sustained pressure to the neck?

Justice Simon Moore answers: “When he applied pressure is not limited to the beginning, it can be at any time during the application of force leading to death.”

The jury foreperson said she didn't think the deliberations would take too much longer and they were likely to deliver a verdict today.

Stuff.co.nz
I wonder why the jury is asking this question. Was it mentioned how many times the defendant claimed he applied pressure to her neck?

If he only did it once during a sustained period, then it wouldn't make sense that she told him to "go harder," since she would likely not have been able to talk while he had his hands around her throat.

Imo

I wonder why the jury is asking this question. Was it mentioned how many times the defendant claimed he applied pressure to her neck?

If he only did it once during a sustained period, then it wouldn't make sense that she told him to "go harder," since she would likely not have been able to talk while he had his hands around her throat.

Imo

I am wondering if it has to do with an intent to injure? Acknowledging what started as benign turned murderous.

How long are they allowed to stay back for until the judge will want to leave? They asked him that question an hour ago ...

They can choose to stay late if they think they can get a verdict tonight. Seen it happen before.
I wish they would say one way or another!

But if they have come to a decision this soon, it usually is a good sign.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back