UK - 39 bodies found in lorry container, Essex, 23 Oct 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone made death threats credible enough for the police to warn EH. Allegedly. That sounds a step beyond the Hughes brothers, but maybe not. RH had international smuggling links, smuggled cigarettes often come from Vietnam, there is a huge fake-brand operation there.

It is widely reported that the IRA were / are heavily involved in cigarette smuggling.

And the Loyalist paramilitaries. Thugs, the lot of them. I was working in Belfast, when a Loyalist gang crucified a suspected car thief to a farm gate. A contact in the then RUC told me that a lot of the criminal families near the border had history going back generations, from before the Troubles, Warrenpoint had a bit of a history in liquor smuggling; it's coincidence now its a border town.

Maurice ‘Mo’ Robinson is expected to appear at The Old Bailey tomorrow, Monday, in connection with the investigation into the deaths of 39 people in a lorry in October.

[...]

Robinson is expected at the Old Bailey for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

[...]

On Sunday morning, a 23-year-old Christopher Kennedy, of Corkley Road in Darkley, Co Armagh was charged with people trafficking offences in connection with the death of 39 people in a lorry container in Essex.

He is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court on Monday 25 November after being arrested the previous Friday.

Mo Robinson due at Old Bailey on Monday morning

Coming up in news at 6:

➡️ Two men due in separate courts over Essex lorry deaths

➡️ 25,000 healthcare workers to strike

➡️Pensioner dies after A1 crash

Cool FM News on Twitter

A 23-year-old man will appear in court later, charged following the discovery of 39 bodies in a lorry container in Grays.

Two other men remain in custody on manslaughter charges.

One of them, 25-year-old Maurice Robinson from County Armagh, is due at the Old Bailey later.

Essex News on Twitter

Lorry driver due to enter plea over 39 Essex deaths

A lorry driver accused over the deaths of 39 migrants will appear in court on Monday to enter pleas.

[...]

The defendant, of Laurel Drive in Craigavon in Northern Ireland, is due to appear to appear via video link from custody before Mr Justice Edis at the Old Bailey.

Christopher Kennedy, 23, is due to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates' Court on Monday accused of human trafficking offences.

Lorry driver due to enter plea over 39 Essex deaths

"Robinson, from Northern Ireland, appeared at the Old Bailey via video link from Belmarsh prison for a plea hearing.

Wearing a light blue sweater and tan trousers, he spoke to confirm his identity, nationality and to admit conspiracy to assist unlawful immigration between 1 May last year and 24 October 2019.

The charge sheet states that he plotted with others to do "an act or series of acts which facilitated the commission of a breach of immigration law by various persons".

He also admitted acquiring criminal property, namely cash, on the same dates."

Essex lorry deaths: Driver Maurice Robinson admits assisting illegal immigration

"Prosecutor William Emlyn Jones told the court this morning that the police investigation into the 39 deaths is still live, and “spans a number of different jurisdictions”.

A previous hearing was told police are probing a “global ring facilitating movement of a large number of illegal immigrants into the UK”.

Mr Justice Edis remanded Robinson in custody this morning until the next hearing on December 13."

Essex lorry driver admits being part of international smuggling ring

BBM

A month ago I was at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court for the first appearance of Maurice Robinson (due @ Old Bailey today) and there were dozens of the world’s media with me. Today, for the third charged man’s hearing, I’m mostly alone.

A9A6855A-57F9-41C0-9AF4-74CC0E2FF35B.jpeg

Ellis Whitehouse on Twitter

Now set up in the courtroom awaiting Christopher Kennedy's arrival. Another member of the press has joined me, so I'm no longer alone, hooray!

Across the way in London, lorry driver Maurice Robinson is due to enter pleas for 41 charges in relation to the deaths

Driver due to enter pleas today after deaths of 39 Vietnamese migrants in lorry

The magistrates' bench are now in court, dealing with some other matters. I've been told Kennedy won't be the first criminal case up this morning.

Kennedy is charged with conspiracy to arrange or facilitate the travel of people with a view to exploitation and conspiracy to facilitate the commission of a breach of UK immigration law. A separate prosecutor is coming to the court to manage the case.

Unlikely to be any more activity for a bit, we have requested a copy of the full list of charges that Kennedy has against him. Will share when we have it.

BREAKING: Maurice Robinson has admitted plotting to assist illegal immigration.

More details here, will try to update it as best I can, but Kennedy may well show up soon.

Lorry driver Mo Robinson admits being part of trafficking plot which led to 39 deaths

It's my understanding the 39 charges of manslaughter were not put to Robinson during his Old Bailey hearing.

I've now been given the full charge sheet for Kennedy - it contains two counts. First is arrange or facilitate travel of another person with a view to exploitation.

Alleges that between 10/10/2019 and 19/10/2019 at Purfleet in the county of Essex, arranged or facilitated the travel of other persons with a view to him being exploited.

Second charge is Conspire to do an act to facilitate the commission of a breach of UK immigration law by a non EU person.

Alleges that between the same dates in Purfleet, conspired together with two other men to transport immigrants, who were not EU citizens, when he knew they did not have EU citizenship.

Meanwhile EH is still in Dublin, pending a hearing on Dec 12th I think.
A lot of pressure on him as the driver who allegedly delivered the trailer to the ferry.
And RH could be anywhere.
The lack of a trial precludes the airing of all the names and details.
But as far as I can see the manslaughter charge has not been dropped but was not put on the charge sheet for today's hearing. Thus leaving more time for that (and others behind it) to be investigated.

N.B Kennedy is not seeking bail.
But the solicitor is arguing for it.
And the family can fund it.
EH allegedly being held for his own protection....
I really cannot see them granting him bail! His only solicitor has rung the bell on that! She stated What Mr Robinson said in interview is not evidence against the defendant but against him! They are not going to let him go. He will know too much and possibly tip off those higher up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph