GUILTY Fugitive Lois Riess, 56, arrested by US Marshals for alleged murders in MN and FL, Mar 2018

Lois Riess pleads guilty to First-Degree murder, sentenced to life in prison
Updated December 17, 2019 4:42 PM EST
A grandmother accused of killing a woman on Fort Myers Beach was in court Tuesday. Lois Riess withdrew her previous plea of not guilty to enter a guilty plea, receiving a sentence of life in prison.
[...]
The State withdrew the possibility of the death penalty in exchange for the guilty plea. Hutchinson’s family was supportive of the decision as they sought for her to be incarcerated for life.

Chief Assistant State Attorney Richard Montcalvo said, “We feel this is an appropriate resolution to an awful case, just a case but we believe that justice has been done here for the family and for the citizens of Southwest Florida.”

Lois Riess pleads guilty to 2018 homicide of Pamela Hutchinson, gets life sentence
Updated 3:44 p.m. ET Dec. 17, 2019
The family of Pamela Hutchinson had one wish, that the person responsible for her death would never be released from prison.

They got that wish Tuesday when Lois Riess, charged with first-degree murder in the 2018 shooting death of the Bradenton woman on Fort Myers Beach, entered a guilty plea and accepted a life sentence.
[...]
Riess’ withdrawal of her previous not guilty plea and her decision to plead guilty to murder and three other charges in the case ends Lee County’s role in her prosecution.

The 57-year-old Blooming Prairie, Minnesota, woman also waived extradition to her home state and will face trial there for the 2018 killing of her husband, David Leonard Riess, 54, at their home in Blooming Prairie.
[...]
"A life sentence is a life sentence in Florida, so whatever happens in Minnesota is irrelevant to what happened here today.”
[...]

Former fugitive Lois Riess pleads guilty to Florida murder, sentenced to life
Updated: 5:46 PM CST December 17, 2019
FORT MYERS, Fla. — Former fugitive Lois Riess was sentenced to life in prison after a court appearance during which she changed a plea and admitted her guilt in the murder of a Florida woman.

Riess appeared in a Fort Myers courtroom for what was supposed to be a pre-trial hearing in the April 2018 shooting death of 59-year-old Pamela Hutchinson, a woman Riess had just met while on the run from authorities. Instead, the Fort Myers News-Press reports, Riess had her attorneys announce she was withdrawing her not guilty plea and admitting her guilt to four criminal counts: first-degree murder with a firearm, grand theft of a motor vehicle, grand theft, and criminal use of identification.

In exchange for her guilty plea, the state attorney's office withdrew a notice of intent to seek the death penalty against Riess for Hutchinson's murder.
[...]
After Judge Robert J. Branning accepted her plea, Riess also waived extradition to Minnesota where she will face first-degree murder charges in the 2018 death of her husband David Leonard Riess. Riess was 54 years old when he was fatally shot at their home in Blooming Prairie.

Minnesota Attorney General's Office spokesman John Stiles confirms that they have taken over the prosecution of Lois Riess from Dodge County, a common practice when small counties encounter a complicated, high-profile case. Stiles says he expects the extradition process to begin shortly, which means Riess should be back in Minnesota within a month or two.
[...]

Whoa! Surprised me! But glad that Pamela's family has peace now....

Thanks for the updates SeesSeas! Now onto Minnesota! Hopefully she will plead guilty to that one too.

I just searched for a thread for David Riess, but there is none. Wondering if we will continue using this one for that case?

I just searched for a thread for David Riess, but there is none. Wondering if we will continue using this one for that case?

I think we should keep using this thread since there does not seem to be much interest here after she was captured. I'm so glad she plead guilty and will spend the rest of her life behind bars. This is one case where I wonder if she got away with other crimes before murdering her husband and going on the run. It's a good thing she is locked up for life and I don't really care if she is kept in Florida or sent to Minnesota. All that matters is that dangerous woman is off the streets. I hope the victims' families can begin to heal. MOO.

Wondering if we need a "new" thread for David Riess that has MN in front of it??
74x46px-LL-59c83b81_question-marks.gif

Thanks @Tippy Lynn ! She still is not in the Minnesota court site. I'll make a note to myself to look a bit later for her pretrial hearing. If you see anything - please post! :)

@Tippy Lynn - since she is not in the Minnesota court yet (just looked) - was wondering if you might be able to find her next court date?

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

@Tippy Lynn - seems to be that she is the only one smiling in her mug shot! LOL!

Tried putting in the case # on the jail site, but nothing came up with that either, and thanks for checking!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

KASSON, Minn. — A Minnesota woman has pleaded guilty to killing her husband in 2018, after being extradited from Florida where she was convicted of a different murder.

Lois Riess entered her plea during a hearing in Kasson, Minnesota on Tuesday. She pleaded guilty to first-degree murder in the shooting death of her husband, David.

Riess was sentenced to life in prison without parole. During the hearing Riess apologized to her husband's friends and family, saying life without her husband is her true sentence and that she should not have killed him.

Lois Riess pleads guilty to killing her husband

A deep-dive long read story from 2020 about Lois' case (another which I followed on WS long before joining) from The Atavist:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back