NV NV - Steven Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #22

I know, right? It just makes no sense at all, I feel like he must’ve had a secret life no one knew about or something.

Moonbeam, I contemplated that possibility in the beginning here, but came to the conclusion that it's not true, and his disappearance is due to foul play. There just isn't anything in these last 10 years that has ever come to light to suggest anything of the sort. (Unless something was/became known only to his family or friend(s) or something but, again, there doesn't seem to even be a "whisper" of such a thing. No signs or intimations that his family/friends are withholding anything, and no other indications floating about the universe.)

SK was definitely outside some of the parameters for his demographic milieu, considering that as a college graduate, overseas-mission-completed man for his age, he wasn't married and was having a difficult time with finding work with pay that he could live on. Also, it does seem strange to many of us that he left a larger job market for a smaller one, and had complained that he didn't have time for socializing in his evening-oriented job in the larger market -how is moving to somewhere with no family and fewer friends going to help that?

However little sense those things make, though, what really is there to indicate a "secret life"? The driving was something clearly happening only in the very recent past and coincided with his job/economic issues. I tend to think that the driving was part of a "secret life" in that he likely was doing something odd, like delivering prescription pain killers, etc., but not in the sense that this was an ongoing, long term "lifestyle". If he did do this or something like it, it's likely only as a last resort, due to being financially strapped.

SK, by all accounts, had no hidden life, but he did have quite a bit of pressure, of that I'm sure. I'm quite certain he felt pressured to settle down and marry and to improve his financial picture, and to prove to his father that he could make it on his own. Did this pressure convince him to take a decision related to employment that he otherwise wouldn't have? "Just until I can get back on my feet?" It's been said by family (or friend -can't remember now) that SK could be a bit "naive". Wouldn't this be just the kind of thing a person who is "a bit naive" could get into? "They're not illicit drugs, they're just "leftovers" from people who died, etc.". I can see it.

After all these years, though, I don't see a secret, alternative lifestyle or such.

Just my thoughts.

Moonbeam, I contemplated that possibility in the beginning here, but came to the conclusion that it's not true, and his disappearance is due to foul play. There just isn't anything in these last 10 years that has ever come to light to suggest anything of the sort. (Unless something was/became known only to his family or friend(s) or something but, again, there doesn't seem to even be a "whisper" of such a thing. No signs or intimations that his family/friends are withholding anything, and no other indications floating about the universe.)

SK was definitely outside some of the parameters for his demographic milieu, considering that as a college graduate, overseas-mission-completed man for his age, he wasn't married and was having a difficult time with finding work with pay that he could live on. Also, it does seem strange to many of us that he left a larger job market for a smaller one, and had complained that he didn't have time for socializing in his evening-oriented job in the larger market -how is moving to somewhere with no family and fewer friends going to help that?

However little sense those things make, though, what really is there to indicate a "secret life"? The driving was something clearly happening only in the very recent past and coincided with his job/economic issues. I tend to think that the driving was part of a "secret life" in that he likely was doing something odd, like delivering prescription pain killers, etc., but not in the sense that this was an ongoing, long term "lifestyle". If he did do this or something like it, it's likely only as a last resort, due to being financially strapped.

SK, by all accounts, had no hidden life, but he did have quite a bit of pressure, of that I'm sure. I'm quite certain he felt pressured to settle down and marry and to improve his financial picture, and to prove to his father that he could make it on his own. Did this pressure convince him to take a decision related to employment that he otherwise wouldn't have? "Just until I can get back on my feet?" It's been said by family (or friend -can't remember now) that SK could be a bit "naive". Wouldn't this be just the kind of thing a person who is "a bit naive" could get into? "They're not illicit drugs, they're just "leftovers" from people who died, etc.". I can see it.

After all these years, though, I don't see a secret, alternative lifestyle or such.

Just my thoughts.

I have to respectfully disagree. We (I’m assuming all of us on here didn’t personally know Steven) only know things about Steven that we’ve read or seen in the media, we don’t fully know him or what his life may have entailed.

I have to respectfully disagree. We (I’m assuming all of us on here didn’t personally know Steven) only know things about Steven that we’ve read or seen in the media, we don’t fully know him or what his life may have entailed.

I agree with that. There was a member who posted early on who did know SK (his cousin, I believe) and she seemed to think it unlikely. The family was very open to hearing and considering a hidden lifestyle or voluntary disappearance to embrace an "alternative" lifestyle. They very publicly made an effort to let SK know he was loved unconditionally.

Still, though, your point is well taken, in that none of us, including perhaps even his family, knows for sure. He'd been an adult for many years, living on his own, and and we can't know every facet of his life. I just have come, over the years, to think it unlikely. Who knows, though? Wish we knew what happened.

Hello all. Thought I would check in. If your not aware already, I am one private investigator associated with former law enforcement and other experienced PIs. Our team is working with family members in the disappearance of SK. I will share with you that during our investigation we have asked for and received police reports from Henderson PD and St. George PD. We were unable to get a report from Las Vegas PD. Either they don't have one or, they did not want to provide one. We have also conducted a telephonic interview with the neighbor who claims to have witnessed SK leave that fateful Sat night and the Ruby Valley residents he visited. In one of the reports, two pings and the GPS coordinates of these pings was provided by LE. We are very much interested in how LE translated one of these pings into the GPS coordinate provided in the report. Attempts to reach the detective for this query go on. "Things don't happen fast enough"we sometimes say. Keep in mind, we are not LE. Our abilities are limited. One other possible scenario to consider IMO, SK ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and met with of random act of violence. Some folks out there have a low opinion of the LDS community.We are considering this among the other scenarios even mentioned on this site. The trip to Ruby Valley seems benign to me. The trip is accounted for using basic math, receipts, bank statements and phone calls. The motive is unclear other than to clear his head after his telephonic argument with his father and to reach out to a friend. In a former occupation of mine, it was normal to work for over 24 hours. I calculate his trip kept SK up for approx. 20 hours. I believe he slept upon arriving back home. The trip to Overton NV is interesting to us. Someone saw something that Saturday I believe. Video captured something that Saturday. Cameras are everywhere. What happens to disappearances happened here. 7 to 10 days of pseudo intense investigation and TV coverage. Then nothing. SK's car should have been processed for fingerprints and DNA. It was not. Until remains are found or someone comes forward. We may never know what happened. Again someone saw something or knows something if you read this come forward and free your conscience. We have set up an anonymous tip line. 385 437 3900.

Any updates, @Glovey ? The remains found in Topok turned out to be unrelated..and I was just wondering whether your team made any progress in regards to the ping locations discussed earlier this year. Also wondering whether Red Rock Search and Rescue Volunteer SAR Team Stands Ready to Assist Las Vegas are still looking for Steven? It sounds like they search twice a year for cold cases and I was wondering whether they do look for Steven still or did that stop since they don't have any concrete location other than the Anthem area where the car was located?

Last edited:
Any updates, @Glovey ? The remains found in Topok turned out to be unrelated..and I was just wondering whether your team made any progress in regards to the ping locations discussed earlier this year. Also wondering whether Red Rock Search and Rescue Volunteer SAR Team Stands Ready to Assist Las Vegas are still looking for Steven? It sounds like they search twice a year for cold cases and I was wondering whether they do look for Steven still or did that stop since they don't have any concrete location other than the Anthem area where the car was located?

Yeah it would be great to hear of any updates !!

Bumping for Steven , it’s so close to the 10 year mark being December. I really wish we could get any kind of an update on this case even if it’s small. I know Glovey mentioned looking into the phone pings, I feel like surely there must be advancements in technology because it’s been almost 10 years and trying to get more info from the phone pings and I was rewatching Stevens disappeared episode and I cannot believe someone from that neighbourhood does not know what happened to him . I believe he went to a home there but someone ain’t telling the truth and possibly the LL knowing something or his church colleagues he spoke to on the day he disappeared must know something and also I know that they has his car sniffed for drugs but it really bothers me that the dogs wouldn’t have been able to detect prescription pills. I feel like there’s quite a few things that could have happened to Steven but still in 10 years no concrete info. I feel like I read somewhere that the police withheld some of the information from the parents of the ex girlfriend Steven visited, can anyone else remember this? I feel like this info might be helpful. I still wonder what that visit was all about , to spend fuel money he didn’t really have to visit an exgirlfriend that lived miles and miles away? The church colleague who was in Vegas the same day yet they never even ask each other why, makes no sense? Did they even question the LL ? Who knows? Still so many questions, Still praying for you Steven

Still think about Steven a lot, and I can’t believe it just reached the 10 year mark.

I think the landlord angle is probably the most likely (and/or some other nefarious activity with friends or associates) but i just can't stop thinking of possibly a connection to serial killer Israel Keyes.

My reasoning admittedly doesn't have a lot to stand on, because both Steven's case and Israel's possible victims' cases don't have a lot of details to work with, at least for those of us that are non-LE (but realistically for them too, I think)

There's a timeline that the FBI put together as best they could, retracing Israel's movements from 1997 up until he was arrested in March 2012 in Texas. You can view it here-- http://dig.abclocal.go.com/wls/documents/wls_081313_Israel Keyes_timeline.pdf

As you can see, it's not perfect because there was just no way for them to account for every single day or month. Israel was also very meticulous and cagey. So it cannot be assumed that the gaps in dates means he was in the previously verified location for those unspecified times.

So even though there is no official account of his whereabouts for 12/13/2009 that we currently know of, what did stand out to me was that he boarded a cruise on 12/17/2009. We know from Samantha's case that he left for a cruise literally the same (early) morning that he killed her. He also told FBI agents that he liked to distance himself as much as possible after a crime. I'd bet a lot of money that he killed someone leading up to the 12/17 cruise. Was that person Steven? hard to say, of course. But Keyes also had been in Las Vegas a few times, and he didn't travel like most people do. He would take a direct flight into a city and then often drive long distances to who knows where. He would tell family/girlfriends that he had to go out of town for xyz reason and not tell them where he was actually going. So asking them now if they recall him being in the Las Vegas area around 12/13/2009 would probably be useless because they likely wouldn't have known the truth at the time anyways. All of this to say: he absolutely could have been in the Vegas area on 12/13 because we simply don't know.

The other thing that i find compelling is the names of missing people that were found on his computer. Although 2 of his victims were on this list (the Currier couple), not all 44 could possibly be his victims. There is a podcast about Keyes (True Crime BS) and on their site they list out the 44 names. They also say " Israel told authorities he never searched for stories about his victims by using their actual names; he searched via dates and locations. So, many of the NAMUS 44 can help inform what, when, and where Keyes was searching."
You can view the names here-- https://www.our-americana.com/namus-44

Take a look at #36 - Susan Powell. We know that Josh tried to say that Susan probably ran off with Steven Koecher since they disappeared within days of each other. Searching for either Susan Powell or Steven Koecher is going to pull up the other's name at some point in various articles, blogs, etc. I strongly wonder if he started searching "Susan Powell" as a way to peripherally read about Steven.

Also somewhat odd: Keyes owned a white Chevy pickup. Steven drove a white Chevy sedan. Not uncommon cars by any means, but still, a small detail i keep in the back of my head.

Obviously these aren't smoking guns, they could all just be pure coincidence. But Israel's victims, except for Samantha that he specifically directed LE to, have never been found. I do wonder if a lot of people who are currently missing with almost no trace whatsoever are a victim of Keyes.

Gotta say, this is the most original theory I've seen in this thread. And I can't say you're wrong.

But I'm not sure how it could ever be proved, or disproved.

yeah, unfortunately it's unlikely that all of IK's crimes will ever be fully known and solved. The FBI was lucky to get what they did from his confessions during those 9 months in 2012. If only they could've fast tracked his execution before he committed suicide, they might have gotten more.

To play Devil's Advocate on myself, IK claimed he didn't like big cities and didn't commit crimes in them. And he claimed to not like Vegas specifically. Obviously we can't blindly believe everything he said, but Henderson is a good sized city and it sounds like the area Steven specifically was in wasn't a great neighborhood. There's also apparently a large drug trafficking scene in that area. So who knows...I don't feel as strongly about an IK connection with Steven as I do with a couple other missing person cases, but the few things I mentioned did give me pause.

Wonder if Clark County Wetlands were ever checked. Close by to the final place the cell was picked up and a place a body might be disposed of.

Steven was all of 6 ft and 30yo. Not the typical guy I'd have thought a killer would target as easy.

Steven also had made an appointment to home teach someone from his church at 7pm on Sunday December 13th, I doubt he just stands up that appointment in his church community willingly. Makes me think the phone movement on that Sunday afternoon/evening wasn't with Steven in control.

About the only thing most agree on is he walked past that camera at 12pm, after that it all kicks off in regards to theories. Can't even agree if he got into a car or went into a house after that.

yeah, unfortunately it's unlikely that all of IK's crimes will ever be fully known and solved. The FBI was lucky to get what they did from his confessions during those 9 months in 2012. If only they could've fast tracked his execution before he committed suicide, they might have gotten more.

To play Devil's Advocate on myself, IK claimed he didn't like big cities and didn't commit crimes in them. And he claimed to not like Vegas specifically. Obviously we can't blindly believe everything he said, but Henderson is a good sized city and it sounds like the area Steven specifically was in wasn't a great neighborhood. There's also apparently a large drug trafficking scene in that area. So who knows...I don't feel as strongly about an IK connection with Steven as I do with a couple other missing person cases, but the few things I mentioned did give me pause.

Hi Mesquite021 -

Still mulling over the IK angle, which actually makes my head want to explode more than usual with regard to Steven's case! But I do want to clarify that the neighborhood where Steven's car was located and he disappeared from view is actually quite nice and rather upscale. It's a 55 + community and I most definitely would never consider it to be a large (or any size) drug trafficking scene.

Just want to be sure the few facts we DO know about Steven's case are not muddied at this point!

Hi Mesquite021 -

Still mulling over the IK angle, which actually makes my head want to explode more than usual with regard to Steven's case! But I do want to clarify that the neighborhood where Steven's car was located and he disappeared from view is actually quite nice and rather upscale. It's a 55 + community and I most definitely would never consider it to be a large (or any size) drug trafficking scene.

Just want to be sure the few facts we DO know about Steven's case are not muddied at this point!

thank you, I had just read that information elsewhere and trusted the source since I’m not familiar with Las Vegas neighborhoods at all. Thanks for clarifying.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back