Found Deceased AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether OD or not, it seems to me that there is real heartbreak with an assumption (not a fact) that PH was in the company of one she trusted on Dec 20, and her death was concealed. My personal speculation only.

MOO
I totally agree. I didn't mean to minimize the loss. I guess I am coming from personal perspective which probably seems crazy to others (and understandably so). Knowing the horrible things other parents have suffered in their losses makes me aware that even in the tragic loss of my son, death and loss can be worse based on situation. I hope that makes sense

And then, of course, you never know what you really get. Just a few days had patient that thought he bought a oxy on street and it was actually fentanyl and he ended up intubated...

Thanks for the reminder of what's become a national crisis of counterfeit drugs flooding the market -- and most laced with fentanyl and immediate death.

This epidemic does not discriminate and taking the lives of the young, old, accomplished, wealthy, the vulnerable, and the poor.

Last edited:
Burying after an OD could be to protect other users, protect drug pipeline, panic, etc.

But it would’ve been a whole different story if 911 was called and an attempt to save her had been made. Her family wouldn’t have worried for the last two weeks, the resources used to find her could’ve been spent on other cases and most importantly, Paighton would’ve at least been shown a shred of human decency.

RIP, Paighton, you deserved such a different life.
And if that was the case I sooooo agree. I am heartbroken for this family. And for PH.

I don't quite get the thought process of burying a person that overdosed. Why? For what? . What was the worse that could have happened to the people that were with her? I don't know, it doesn't make sense if it was just an accidental overdose.

Life in prison for reckless homicide or DIH (Drug Induced Homicide):

In 15 states where data was available, The New York Times found more than 1,000 prosecutions or arrests in accidental overdose deaths since 2015. Between 2015 and 2017, the number of cases nearly doubled. Dozens more cases were documented in news reports. In all, overdose prosecutions were found in 36 states, with charges ranging from involuntary manslaughter to first-degree murder.

They Shared Drugs. Someone Died. Does That Make Them Killers?

Why Heroin Addicts Are Being Charged With Murder

No idea if that's what happened in this case. But it seems like a bad policy being championed by individual district attorneys to score political points by appearing to be doing something about opioids.

Life in prison for reckless homicide or DIH (Drug Induced Homicide):

In 15 states where data was available, The New York Times found more than 1,000 prosecutions or arrests in accidental overdose deaths since 2015. Between 2015 and 2017, the number of cases nearly doubled. Dozens more cases were documented in news reports. In all, overdose prosecutions were found in 36 states, with charges ranging from involuntary manslaughter to first-degree murder.

They Shared Drugs. Someone Died. Does That Make Them Killers?

Why Heroin Addicts Are Being Charged With Murder

No idea if that's what happened in this case. But it seems like a bad policy being championed by individual district attorneys to score political points by appearing to be doing something about opioids.

This organization works to pass laws protecting individuals who call 911 for an overdose from then being prosecuted (good samaritan overdose laws).
911 Good Samaritan Laws

My mom worked in NYC hospitals forever ago and recalls cars driving up, sending a body in a wheelchair rolling thru the ER doors and taking off. She was shocked the first time it happened (night shift of course) and her co-worker knew exactly what it was immediately (they used Narcan back then too). I suppose even that is too risky nowadays, but I do think some legal protections to encourage people to do the right thing (even if they were making poor decisions in other aspects) would save lives.

This organization works to pass laws protecting individuals who call 911 for an overdose from then being prosecuted (good samaritan overdose laws).
911 Good Samaritan Laws

My mom worked in NYC hospitals forever ago and recalls cars driving up, sending a body in a wheelchair rolling thru the ER doors and taking off. She was shocked the first time it happened (night shift of course) and her co-worker knew exactly what it was immediately (they used Narcan back then too). I suppose even that is too risky nowadays, but I do think some legal protections to encourage people to do the right thing (even if they were making poor decisions in other aspects) would save lives.

Thank you for this. I was just wondering if others were using with someone who overdosed had any sort of protection or if that would be a reason for someone to not get help.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed as off topic> ... in order for Paighton to go on a bender, wouldn't she have had to withdraw money from her account? It hadn't been stated if she had any cash on her, but the fact that her bank account hadn't been touched would mean that IF she had gone on a bender she was hoping for a free ride if she didn't have cash on her, OR perhaps she planned on paying a different way?? I am NOT saying that's what she did or what was planned AT ALL. I have friends that have done that and they have confessed to me it wasn't their finest hour.
BUT, with that said, I was just wondering as to how an accidental OD could occur unless 1- she had cash 2- someone else was supplying it or 3- she had other means of payment. (Even gettin it on a front with a "I'll pay ya on such and such day). All things that came to mind when the drug aspect kept coming up.
R.I.P. Paighton, fly free and help guide us to getting you Justice

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, I have never seen a more "put together, humble family" as PH family. When my brother died at 24, I literally watched my family fall to pieces. Its also when I became a neurotic mother myself. I had to 2 small children at the time and going through something like that changes a person. Especially when my brother was murdered by his "so called" best friend. Hes doing life in Angola and pray he never sees the light of day.
Cato...I am so sorry to hear about what you've been through. Big Hug to you

This may be going out on a limb, but let’s say this was an OD. Is there any possibility, that someone could have taken advantage of the fact that she was a recovering addict and forced her to do the drugs causing an overdose.
Why would someone do that? Are you suggesting they wanted to do her harm, and knowing she was an addict took advantage of the fact that they could make it look like an OD?

No, IMO. Shooting someone up while they are fighting against you as I assume she would be in that scenario, would be very tough (it’s hard enough to get a good vein while holding perfectly still). Her body would probably show signs of a struggle as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member